Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

In the U.S., ketchup is a tangy tomato "sauce" that contains quite a bit of sugar, plus vinegar, a little onion powder and garlic powder, possibly paprika and maybe other things. It's smooth and sticky. If you buy "tomato sauce" from the store in a can, it's just puree'd tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Gridlocked posted:

Ketchup and Tomato Sauce are different.

I believe Ketchup contains more sugars or some such.

Ketchup is a specific kind of tomato sauce :colbert:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How have I never noticed this thread before?

I had this insanity at a Swedish pizza place some years ago:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

ymgve posted:

Chicken, banana, pineapple, and... guacamole?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EXAKT Science posted:

Ketchup is a specific kind of tomato sauce :colbert:

Its actually a fruit butter :science:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

blunt for century posted:

Chicken, banana, pineapple, and... guacamole?

It's some curry sauce, if I remember correctly.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

ymgve posted:

It's some curry sauce, if I remember correctly.

That's not better at all

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Take away the banana and I bet it's delicious.

The Cheeto brick though, that abomination makes me want to puke right here and now.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It's curry powder. Goes surprisingly well with bananas on pizza.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
That Brick reminded me of this Sweet and Sour Pork recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgF97c6DZk

Kool-aid isn't just for color.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PyroDwarf posted:

That Brick reminded me of this Sweet and Sour Pork recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgF97c6DZk

Kool-aid isn't just for color.

It doesn't sound too bad in practice(ramen with crunchy, sweetness, and spicy), aside from all that Kool-aid, but his reaction after that first bite is just "I'm so loving glad I'm out of prison" and it's even better because he was excited to taste it after so long.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Crack an egg over this and bake it for a while and I'd eat the poo poo out of this

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ficking SLUTS

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

My parents are the same, I don't know what happened to them. Growing up we had a huge vegetable garden and fruit trees from which we would eat from all summer and preserve the rest. We were always making (x) at home instead of buying the premade version at the store. My mom cooked a meal from scratch for six every night. But now that the kids are out of the house and they make more money, it's microwaved crap every night. And nothing can have salt or fat, only imitation butter flavored PAM.

If I cooked a meal from scratch for six every night for >18 years, I would probably be ready to take a break too. Although microwaved crap would not be the alternative of choice. I get it, though - my grandma cooked for 10+ for decades and as soon as the last one was out of the house, went on permanent kitchen strike.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mad_Lion posted:

In the U.S., ketchup is a tangy tomato "sauce" that contains quite a bit of sugar, plus vinegar, a little onion powder and garlic powder, possibly paprika and maybe other things. It's smooth and sticky. If you buy "tomato sauce" from the store in a can, it's just puree'd tomatoes.

That was my point. If you buy "tomato sauce" down here, you are getting tomatoes (about 70%), the rest is sugar, salt and flavours. You put it on your pie, or sausages or whatever you do with ketchup.
The pureed/sieved tomatoes in a can like USA "tomato sauce" doesn't exist here. Neither does broth or stock too, these types of things aren't canned here.
If you want what they call in the USA tomato sauce, you need to buy a glass jar of pasata or sugo like I mentioned before, or a ready made pasta sauce in a jar. It's not available in cans either way, (except for tomato paste concentrate).

E: VVVV

Loomer posted:

Broth and stock are in the sort of box things but you can absolutely buy those in liquid form (you should not, but you can.)
Yeah I didn't say you couldn't buy liquid stock, a few years ago the $4 premium box stocks came out, so they are a new thing anyway. I said you couldn't get canned broth or stock.

quote:

What supermarkets do you go to?
All of them in WA. Never seen tinned proper tomato sauce (plain tomato puree), just imported jarred pasata. If you want, feel free to link a coles, woolworths or IGA etc online result for canned/tinned tomato sauce. Hell, find me an Aussie recipe that even says tomato sauce (of the proper USA kind) and not say pasata instead when they mean plain pureed/sieved tomatoes.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jan 31, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dude, pureed tomato in a can or jar is absolutely a thing here in Australia without needing to get the Italian named stuff. Broth and stock are in the sort of box things but you can absolutely buy those in liquid form (you should not, but you can.) What supermarkets do you go to?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

For gently caress's sake, it's catsup, not ketchup!! :ese:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

To be honest, this picture should be the thread title forever, what with how often there's ketchup tangents here

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

To be honest, this picture should be the thread title forever, what with how often there's ketchup tangents here

I think all hotdogs should be sold infused with ketchup, but also you should put ketchup on them afterwards

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think all hotdogs should be sold infused with ketchup, but also you should put ketchup on them afterwards

I'm tempted to ban you right now

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Aesop Poprock posted:

This but with chips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEP8xd2uAsY

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nobody, I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on hotdogs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm tempted to ban you right now

:whitewater:

I tried to find a ketchp infused hot dog or some deep fried ketchup to post but surprisingly it doesn't look like either of them exist

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oh good lord. Having felt the lavalike temperatures ketchup gets to in a toasted sandwich I can't imagine eating ketchup that had been cooked in the oven for 20 minutes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aesop Poprock posted:

I tried to find a ketchp infused hot dog or some deep fried ketchup to post but surprisingly it doesn't look like either of them exist

Yet.

Somewhere, a state fair food booth person just read this, and started up their fryer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh good lord. Having felt the lavalike temperatures ketchup gets to in a toasted sandwich I can't imagine eating ketchup that had been cooked in the oven for 20 minutes.

Seriously, those things must be like the core of the loving sun. I reckon they're not on the market anymore, since too many people got third-degree burns on the inside of their mouths.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What's everyone's damage about ketchup on hotdogs?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Better question is, how do people feel about hotdog flavored vodka

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/91731-the-birth-of-weeniecello/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Here you go. Those are made in Belarus.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aesop Poprock posted:

hotdog flavored vodka

I'm imagining a russian limp bizkit cover band

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:canada: is deeply ashamed by this travesty.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yep, ketchup ramen.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Wanamingo posted:

Yep, ketchup ramen.

I hope whoever made that choked to death on it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

Yep, ketchup ramen.

Are you sure that's not menstrual ramen?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I don't even know what would be worse

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
What else are you supposed to put on hotdogs besides ketchup?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

if you're from chicago, a little bit of everything except ketchup

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

ymgve posted:

As far as Swedsh pizza goes, that is far from peak insanity. Hell, it doesn't even have bearnaise sauce on it. It's practically frugal. You should have odered a carlskrove.

Also, I guess ramen based prison food is the next big thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkqzGosBmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

CSM posted:

What else are you supposed to put on hotdogs besides ketchup?

No ketchup, just gherkin mustard.

thespaceinvader posted:

I used to eat these and I can confirm there was a lot of mouth wafting and spitting out half chewed thermonuclear chips involved.

beato has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread