Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JohnSherman posted:

He really wasn't a name before There Will Be Blood. It's like asking why Simon Pegg showed up in Band of Brothers. Actors enjoy being given the opportunity to work with certain people.

drat I don't remember Pegg in BoB at all.

Those lists should account for inflation. Give Bogart a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

effectual posted:

Pegg isn't as weird as Jimmy Fallon driving a jeep and having like two lines. Also pretty much every male British actor who was between 20 and 40 when they filmed Band of Brothers is in it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pegg isn't as weird as Jimmy Fallon driving a jeep and having like two lines. Also pretty much every male British actor who was between 20 and 40 when they filmed Band of Brothers is in it.

Endless Mike from Pete & Pete was in it too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

effectual posted:

He's basically Schwimmer's lacky in that. I'm pretty sure even when Sobel is demoted Pegg is still driving him around. Funnily enough they must've stayed friends since Schwimmer later directed him in a movie and they both co-starred in one.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

DrVenkman posted:

He's basically Schwimmer's lacky in that. I'm pretty sure even when Sobel is demoted Pegg is still driving him around. Funnily enough they must've stayed friends since Schwimmer later directed him in a movie and they both co-starred in one.

Evans is the company's First Sergeant, a rank which has a lot of responsibilities, but is sorta like second in command of the company, which is why he's always hanging around Sobel. He stuck around Easy after Sobel was sent off and served in the same position for Lt. Meehan. He dies in the same plane Meehan does during the D-Day flight.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've just seen Black Coal, Thin Ice yesterday. Nice movie, but there was a bit of Chinese symbolism that I know went over my head. I hope someone here could help me with that:

1) Between the motifs such as coal, ice, or the fireworks, I get the feeling there were some clear references to the Chinese classical elements, but I have no idea what meaning any of that could have had.
2) The ending fireworks. What the gently caress?
3) Perhaps not really a Chinese thing, but I get the feeling that the protagonist forcibly grappling women was a deliberate recurring motif from the start. Was there anything to it, or was it just the character being a bit of a creep/trying to channel noir manly manliness?

As an aside, the Chinese posters are so hilariously inappropriate like the dumb ending credits song.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did you like it? I wanna see that movie real bad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Go see it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you like it? I wanna see that movie real bad.

I liked it as well but also have no answers to his questions.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Is there a thread talking about the Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch? It seems like a pretty big movie, but there doesn't seem to be a discussion thread or somehow I can't find it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There's a million homemade versions of The Navidson Record on youtube, and probably another million from film students on vimeo and portfolio websites. Has anyone seen one that is legit good and worth watching?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a million homemade versions of The Navidson Record on youtube, and probably another million from film students on vimeo and portfolio websites. Has anyone seen one that is legit good and worth watching?

Yeah, it's called Grave Encounters and it's on Netflix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

User-Friendly posted:

Grave Encounters 2 is really bad though. Definitely watch the first one, it's amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Grave Encounters 2 is considerably better than the original.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

What movie did you watch? I've seen Grave Encounters 1 like three times, and I'm positive it's great. I saw Grave Encounters 2 once and hated it. maybe I'll watch it again sometime...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I feel like you saying it's a good movie has validated my enjoyment of Grave Encounters 2. I thought it was a pretty great movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was really drunk when I watched it, maybe I should give it another shot...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't like ghost hunting crap, but am more than willing to watch an FF movie where everyone is some kind of asswipe. See: BONESTORM, Toad Road, etc.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I don't like ghost hunting crap, but am more than willing to watch an FF movie where everyone is some kind of asswipe. See: BONESTORM, Toad Road, etc.

There should be a 300 hour youtube version of BONESTORM just looping.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I've started watching a DVD release of Dogville only to discover it was cut down by 40 minutes in Australia. I might just watch the rest in an uncut copy but I don't want to restart the movie from the beginning. Does anyone know what was cut out or if there's a site anywhere that compares the various versions?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I've started watching a DVD release of Dogville only to discover it was cut down by 40 minutes in Australia. I might just watch the rest in an uncut copy but I don't want to restart the movie from the beginning. Does anyone know what was cut out or if there's a site anywhere that compares the various versions?

I believe this entire sequence was cut due to the sex and violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqdnUWRoxYs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Melian Dialogue posted:

Is there a thread talking about the Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch? It seems like a pretty big movie, but there doesn't seem to be a discussion thread or somehow I can't find it.
The answer is always to make your own thread. You don't even need to make an effort post. People are lazy and won't make threads about movies they don't feel strongly about.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Why is Johnny Depp in lovely movies with such regularity? Does he / his agent just have a terrible eye for scripts? Is he himself the problem? He has to be the highest paid actor whose movies are almost always terrible* ... and I say that as someone with a soft spot for him generally and for Nick of Time in particular.

*e: although Christian Bale is hot on his heels

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

*e: although Christian Bale is hot on his heels

The gently caress universe are you from?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The gently caress universe are you from?

The one where Exodus, Out of the Furnace, Flowers of War, and Terminator: Salvation make up his output of the last few years. Which universe are you from, and has he made better choices there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

The one where Exodus, Out of the Furnace, Flowers of War, and Terminator: Salvation make up his output of the last few years. Which universe are you from, and has he made better choices there?

I honestly forgot about all those but Terminator, and that was 6 years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

regulargonzalez posted:

He was nominated for Best Actor only two years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

regulargonzalez posted:

I liked most of Out of the Furnace except the ending really. But Affleck was great, Harrelson was great, and Bale was actually good too, it was just the ending that was very American for lack of a better word.

I even liked Whitaker in his tiny role as a nobody country cop.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Out of the Furnace was loving fantastic, what are you talking about?

edit: (Out of the Furnace SPOILERS)When you say you didn't like the ending, do mean where he shoots the guy in the back, or the very last scene of him sitting at the table, which may or may not imply that Forest Whitaker let him go?

Johnny Depp is just not a great actor, and on top of that, he has been doing a lot of type-cast stuff basically forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

Out of the Furnace was loving fantastic, what are you talking about?

edit: (Out of the Furnace SPOILERS)When you say you didn't like the ending, do mean where he shoots the guy in the back, or the very last scene of him sitting at the table, which may or may not imply that Forest Whitaker let him go?

Johnny Depp is just not a great actor, and on top of that, he has been doing a lot of type-cast stuff basically forever.

Out of the Furnace:
I thought Bale shooting Harrelson was a copout, characterwise. It seemed to me that the Bale character would be aware of how lovely it would be for the Harrelson character to go to jail. It's practically a mercy kill, but there's no reason for Bale to feel mercy for Harrelson. It's pure old testament and I guess the whole "bad guy must die" bores me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Out of the Furnace:
I thought Bale shooting Harrelson was a copout, characterwise. It seemed to me that the Bale character would be aware of how lovely it would be for the Harrelson character to go to jail. It's practically a mercy kill, but there's no reason for Bale to feel mercy for Harrelson. It's pure old testament and I guess the whole "bad guy must die" bores me.

To me It was the most powerful moment in the film. And I didn't feel that way when the scene started, but as it was happening, I felt like I "got it". I think that Bale's character has felt like a murdered ever since he killed that kid and his mom while he was driving drunk. He is already carrying all the baggage of being a killer. When he goes hunting, he doesn't want to shoot the deer. It will be the first time he's killed since the accident, and he can't do. After his brother is killed, there is conflict between his rage and desire for revenge, and his regret at taking life. At the end, he is okay with killing the Harrelson's character because no only does he want Harrelson to die for revenge reasons, he can't ever feel more horrible for killing than he already does, so the choice becomes easy. At the end he is at peace with himself. Which is kind of hosed up, but I thought it really worked as part of his character's evolution since the start of the film.

So basically I never thought it was about "bad guy must die". I'm not really a fan of that either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

To me It was the most powerful moment in the film. And I didn't feel that way when the scene started, but as it was happening, I felt like I "got it". I think that Bale's character has felt like a murdered ever since he killed that kid and his mom while he was driving drunk. He is already carrying all the baggage of being a killer. When he goes hunting, he doesn't want to shoot the deer. It will be the first time he's killed since the accident, and he can't do. After his brother is killed, there is conflict between his rage and desire for revenge, and his regret at taking life. At the end, he is okay with killing the Harrelson's character because no only does he want Harrelson to die for revenge reasons, he can't ever feel more horrible for killing than he already does, so the choice becomes easy. At the end he is at peace with himself. Which is kind of hosed up, but I thought it really worked as part of his character's evolution since the start of the film.

So basically I never thought it was about "bad guy must die". I'm not really a fan of that either.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense for Bales motivation, so thank you for that. I still don't agree with the ultimate result of it, but it makes sense character-wise.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Snak posted:

Great is debatable, but he was certainly a very good actor at one point. Edward Scissorhands, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Donnie Brasco, and (above all) Ed Wood are a testament to that. He just seems to always play the same type of gothy or silly-wacky character nowadays.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Great is debatable, but he was certainly a very good actor at one point. Edward Scissorhands, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Donnie Brasco, and (above all) Ed Wood are a testament to that. He just seems to always play the same type of gothy or silly-wacky character nowadays.

He's definitely given some great performances. Blow comes to mind as well.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

His performances in Dead Man and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are excellent too. I'd definitely call 90s Johnny Depp a great actor, but nowadays he's become a caricature of himself.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Out of the Furnace was far, far better than I ever expected it to be. Harrelson is so good at being hugely villainous but never breaking over into cartoony.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Out of the Furnace was far, far better than I ever expected it to be. Harrelson is so good at being hugely villainous but never breaking over into cartoony.

See also: Rampart

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If there were an award for convincingly beating the poo poo out of people in movies, Woody Harrelson would win it all the time. That guy has some incredible reserves of rage.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

User-Friendly posted:

Uh, not really. At no point in the House of Leaves is it implied there is an evil presence behind the labyrinth. Its just there with no explanation of why or how it exists. It just is. The only reason people died in the labyrinth is because of the need to explain the unexplainable.

Grave Encounters on the other hand is just about EVIIILL hospital that wants to lure people to their deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I've been wanting to watch Red Cliff but my knowledge of period Chinese history isn't exactly great. Am I going to be lost and should I read some Cliff Notes version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms first or just go in blind and enjoy John Woo making a five hour war epic?