Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but what's the list of Guys With Lightning Power, total? It's basically Electro, Lightning Lad/Lass/Lord, Livewire, and those guys. "All black superheroes have lightning powers" is obviously wrong and dumb but "when they decide to give lightning powers to someone, it does seem to trend to a black guy" is, I think, still valid, especially when you take comics' overwhelming whiteness into account.
Electro (and his daughter from MC2)
The Eel (a couple different ones)
all of the Lightning L***s from Legion
Jenny Sparks from Wildstorm
Rainmaker from Gen 13
Victor Mancha from Runaways
The Electrocutioner(s) from Batman/DC villainy
Electron and/or whichever member of the Imperial Guard they line up with Lightning ****
Livewire from the Superman cartoon/eventually the comics
Sparx from DC's Bloodlines
ZZzaxx the Hulk villain
Surge the 2000s Young X-Man
Bolt from various late 1990s c-grade X-Books
Erg and Berserker from the Morlocks
Stinger from the X-Books
Volt the DC villain
Striker from Avengers Academy
Living Lightning (both the villain and the West Coast Avenger)
Nikola Tesla in SHIELD
Anthem from Matt Fraction's The Order
Supercharger from Thunderbolts/various Busiek stuff at Marvel
Electrocutie from the Ultraverse team The Strangers
Paibok the Power Skrull
Blitzkreig from ROM
Electric Superman

I know you're going to say "some of those are pretty obscure", but the list of Black Electric Guys is literally "Two Dudes and some off-brand versions that only appeared in cartoons, a parody character from an indie book Mark Waid did, and Storm". And if we're including Storm, we might as well include all of the permutations of Thor and Shazam out there.

Here, I'll even give you an extra Black Lightning character. Livewire from Harbinger. She's a black lady who controls electricity. Even given that, basically "Lightning Lad and all the permutations" is more or less equal to "Black Lightning and all the permutations" in terms of character and issue count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whoa, thanks for the feedback guys. I'm slowly getting everything together and I'll post the thread sometime next week!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

. Even given that, basically "Lightning Lad and all the permutations" is more or less equal to "Black Lightning and all the permutations" in terms of character and issue count.
Forgot Jakeem Thunder, who bosses around an electric imp. List meaningless.

Just kidding.

Now let's do 'Black Heroes who hit things hard' followed by 'Black speedsters'!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Edge & Christian posted:

I know you're going to say "some of those are pretty obscure", but the list of Black Electric Guys is literally "Two Dudes and some off-brand versions that only appeared in cartoons, a parody character from an indie book Mark Waid did, and Storm". And if we're including Storm, we might as well include all of the permutations of Thor and Shazam out there.

Here, I'll even give you an extra Black Lightning character. Livewire from Harbinger. She's a black lady who controls electricity. Even given that, basically "Lightning Lad and all the permutations" is more or less equal to "Black Lightning and all the permutations" in terms of character and issue count.
You're missing Jamie Foxx's Electro, Miles Morales, and depending on how strictly you want to interpret "Black", Thunder Fall.

If you're including Storm you have to include Asari as well, but I'd argue Thor should be included anyway since he is explicitly lightning-related (though does not have electrical powers) whereas Storm's powers are more broad - that also brings in Thunderer. Shazam can do lightning, but he often uses it to hurt Superman and therefore it's magical and not electrical.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shango, the Yoruba Orisha of Thunder (god, essentially) has shown up in superhero comics a couple of times, might he count if we're warping this beyond all recognition? Either way, I think it's cool as hell that particular mythology has shown up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

A comprehensive thread would be solid and I'd definitely read it.

My knowledge of black superheroes?

Luke Cage

The black Green Lantern that isn't Hal Jordan and whose name is probably John Stewart

Cyborg

Falcon

In other words, shamefully inadequate
Spawn
Crispus Allen (the Spectre)
Bishop
Angel Salvadore
Ultimate Nick Fury
Misty Knight
Monica Rambeau
Vixen
Venus Dee Milo
The Anarchist
The Spike

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ghostlight posted:

You're missing Jamie Foxx's Electro, Miles Morales, and depending on how strictly you want to interpret "Black", Thunder Fall.
If you're including Storm you have to include Asari as well, but I'd argue Thor should be included anyway since he is explicitly lightning-related (though does not have electrical powers) whereas Storm's powers are more broad - that also brings in Thunderer. Shazam can do lightning, but he often uses it to hurt Superman and therefore it's magical and not electrical.
I'm including Storm because she's very well known and is known for shooting lightning bolts, even though i'd argue "weather" powers are different from "lightning" powers and honestly I'd argue
"can shoot electrical bolts out of their hands using technology or self-generated power" and "can control electricity" and "I don't know, but it probably involves lightning, right" are just barely the same power anyway. Plus every time this conversation comes up, someone goes "but but but but but what about Storm? She proves it's basically all black superheroes!"

If you include Miles Morales, you really might as well include anyone who self-generates a sting/blast/and hurt someone by touching them. So we've know got characters like the Wasp, Machine Man, Rogue, Havok, and Phantom Limb in the "lightning powers" category.
I have no idea who Asari is. But yeah, if you want to stretch the definition of "lightning powers" beyond all definition then you are right, pretty much all black heroes have lightning powers.

Monica Rambeau can turn herself into coherent light, and light is basically lightNING, right?
Bishop can absorb energy and then shoot it out, and electricity is a form of energy!
Gateway and Manifold can teleport, faster than light...ning.
Anarchist had the power to shoot out acid. You know what else has acid? Batteries. You know what batteries generate?
Black Panther, War Machine, Prowler, Steel, Batwing, Manhattan Guardian, and probably a bunch of other black folk have used armor/powered gauntlets that can probably shoot out lightning.
Prodigy, Alex Wilder (and Black Panther, and Steel, and...) are like superhumanly smart and the brain is powered by electricity, which is like mental lightning.
Falcon's wings probably need electricity to work.
Misty Knight's arm is robotic, maybe it could shoot lightning if she wanted it to?
Deathlok and Cyborg are basically robots, which is basically lightning incarnate
Blur from Supreme Power was super fast, kind of like the Flash, whose symbol is a lightning bolt.
Holocaust (Milestone) controlled fire... ever heard of an electrical fire? Right.
Bumblebee from Teen Titans probably has a sting, which we've established with Miles Morales is lightning powers.
Crispus Allen turned into the Spectre who can do ANYTHING, including make lightning I bet.
Icon could kind of shoot force bolts/make force fields, which are basically the same as shooting lightning/electricity, right?
Hardware had a suit of armor like Iron Man, which we KNOW shoots lightning bolts. Man, every single Milestone dude was a Black Lightning ripoff I guess.
Synch in Generation X could synch up to any one near him's power, and you KNOW if he's around another black guy he's going to get lightning powers.
Power Man (the new one) can draw upon chi to get stronger, which is like spiritual lightning.
Quantum (of Quantum and Woody) got turned into quantum energy which close enough.
I'm pretty sure at some point Patriot carried that energy shield Cap had.
Green Lantern rings are basically like green lightning, so John Stewart, you are like all those other black folk who just look good in blue!
Winston from the Ghostbusters had a proton pack that shoots lightning.
Hancock could probably control electricity if he really wanted to, he was an ancient god or something right?
Hammerman (the MC Hammer cartoon where he turned into a superhero) involved him getting sentient magical reality warping shoes and I'd be shocked if they never exhibited the ability to either control weather, make Hammerman go very fast, turn on a jukebox, shoot a concussive bolt, or anything else we want to call lightning powers.
In his very first appearance, Smithers on the Simpsons was black. Carl is still black. They both work at a nuclear power plant.

It's true, everyone's got lightning powers.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 31, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Someone pissed off Michael Kupperman something fierece with this offer:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

Looking at all the designs for minor KC characters, Alex Ross sacrificed his childhood creativity on the altar of DC. Why make a comic about the cool guy who looks like a church he created when he was 12 or whatever and instead have that character job to Wonder Woman in one panel and never appear again?

Ross is like the anti-Erik Larsen.

Speaking of Larsen, he created his own Black, electric powered hero during his run on Savage Dragon, killed her off and created another one to replace her.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How many times has Magneto been de-aged and how did it happen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Koalas March posted:

Whoa, thanks for the feedback guys. I'm slowly getting everything together and I'll post the thread sometime next week!
This needs to be in the op
http://marvel.com/images/31385#0-31385

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Someone pissed off Michael Kupperman something fierece with this offer:

Anybody know if that's standard, because that's almost no money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

How many times has Magneto been de-aged and how did it happen?

Just the once, I think. In either Defenders #14 or #15, he was de-aged into infancy by his creation, Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, taken to Muir Island for re-education by Professor X and Moira MacTaggert, then restored to his physical prime by Erik the Red in a flashback from Uncanny X-Men #104.

Subsequently, in X-Men vol. 2 #2 (?), he learned that Xavier had used his telepathic powers to influence his mind during the time he was de-aged, which is why he eventually did a face turn and gave up his villainous ways in the 1980s.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What the hell is wrong with stephanie brown fans?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

fatherboxx posted:

What the hell is wrong with fans?

Fixed that for you. The answer is that they believe they are entitled to something and don't realize that someone else is a human being trying to make a living just as they are. And I don't mean Steph Brown fans, I mean gently caress so many comics fans.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Skwirl posted:

Depends on the company. For some that would be low/entry level, for others that is way more than what they pay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

Depends on the company. For some that would be low/entry level, for others that is way more than what they pay.

Jesus, I mean if you pencil, ink, color and letter the book by yourself it's decent pay. But if all you do is pencil, no wonder Greg Land traces.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Greg Land definitely makes more than that. The South American guy you've never heard of drawing the annual you don't really want probably makes about that much. The person drawing the licensed comic you like at that mid-tier publisher does not make that much.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here is a list of many Black superheroes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

Just the once, I think. In either Defenders #14 or #15, he was de-aged into infancy by his creation, Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, taken to Muir Island for re-education by Professor X and Moira MacTaggert, then restored to his physical prime by Erik the Red in a flashback from Uncanny X-Men #104.

Subsequently, in X-Men vol. 2 #2 (?), he learned that Xavier had used his telepathic powers to influence his mind during the time he was de-aged, which is why he eventually did a face turn and gave up his villainous ways in the 1980s.
Actually, it was some tinkering with his genes by Moira that made him good for that period. Using his powers essentially undid it. But yeah, it was in that initial arc of X-Men vol. 2 that he learns about it and forces Moira to do it to the blue team only make them bad. Marvel was using evil genes way before Geoff Johns thought them up!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One of those have the power to transform into a monkey:stare:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Skwirl posted:

If memory serves, those were starting rates at Marvel and DC ten years back. I doubt it's gone up much since then.

I know a dude who was inking an X book (don't want to name names but you probably wouldn't recognize him anyway) for about a year and he had to work at Trader Joes to make ends meet. Nobody wants to talk about money in comics because it's depressing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, it was some tinkering with his genes by Moira that made him good for that period. Using his powers essentially undid it. But yeah, it was in that initial arc of X-Men vol. 2 that he learns about it and forces Moira to do it to the blue team only make them bad. Marvel was using evil genes way before Geoff Johns thought them up!

But the point there was that as soon as he used his powers the effect went away so it didn't really turn him good.

The last X-Men story of Chris Claremont's run and of course it involved mind control...

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I know a dude who was inking an X book (don't want to name names but you probably wouldn't recognize him anyway) for about a year and he had to work at Trader Joes to make ends meet. Nobody wants to talk about money in comics because it's depressing.

The only money in comics is in licensing and no one on the creative side sees much, if any, of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you are going to do a thread about black character in comics, you couldn't have picked a better time as Milestone is making a comeback.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

The only money in comics is in licensing and no one on the creative side sees much, if any, of that.

I seem to remember a part of Fortune and Glory detailing how little money Bendis was making.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Edge & Christian posted:

But yeah, if you want to stretch the definition of "lightning powers" beyond all definition then you are right, pretty much all black heroes have lightning powers.
Well I wasn't arguing that, and the argument is always about electrical powers.

You seem pretty defensive about me just mentioning some characters you missed in your reductiveness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

You seem pretty defensive about me just mentioning some characters you missed in your reductiveness.

Are you new here or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm just used to it all being directed at you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I'm just used to it all being directed at you.

Fair enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Sure, it's why Mark Millar is apparently fabulously wealthy; he owns most of his own work and he manages to get it all optioned in Hollywood.

What was it Morrison did that meant he didn't have to work for two years and was able to buy a mansion in the Highlands (or so the story goes)?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 1, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
For a thread on Black superheroes you should definitely write a bit about the Anarchist from X-Statix, he's a great character in his own right and there's a lot of well-written material in that run involving him and blackness/whiteness.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, it's why Mark Millar is apparently fabulously wealthy; he owns most of his own work and he manages to get it all optioned in Hollywood.

What was it Morrison did that meant he didn't have to work for two years and was able to buy a mansion in the Highlands (or so the story goes)?

I think it was the royalties from Arkham Asylum. It was popular in the early mainstream bookstore scene for comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I have no idea, cuz most people aren't crazy enough to badmouth Marvel in public, but I wouldn't be surprised.

"Apparently they're broke."

I get that Disney separated the Film and Comic division's assets but it's still disgusting.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Do Big 2 creators get any decent money if they get a story credit on a film adaptation? Like Brubaker for Winter Soldier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Do Big 2 creators get any decent money if they get a story credit on a film adaptation? Like Brubaker for Winter Soldier.

I guess Bill Mantlo and Jim Starlin got a decent check for GotG.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Alan Moore has said that options don't really pay all that much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Alan Moore has said that options don't really pay all that much.

Probably not when you always refuse the paychecks and have your name taken off of everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Probably not when you always refuse the paychecks and have your name taken off of everything.

That's why he didn't really have any issues refusing the money.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yep he then gives the credit to other people involved so they get the money.

• Locked thread