Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Yeah that was agreat part to that story. Takamura was offered the position for the last time by his brother but ofc decided to risk it all in the ring against Hawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Not strictly an Ippo update, but there was an interesting parallel drawn between Hajime no Ippo and Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru in recent updates. In the latest fight, the main 'antagonist', if you can call him that, forfeited a fight because he was afraid he would cripple or kill his opponent. The fight had the antagonist, Samart, practically untouched, while his challenger, Kaoru, had multiple severe injuries, such as a broken jaw. Somehow, because of the 'fighting spirit' in Kaoru's eyes, the referee allowed the fight to go on, but Samart, seeing Kaoru in such a crippled state, and still traumatized by his past incident where he killed a fighter who refused to go down, forfeited the fight to save Kaoru's life. It's interesting to see a character refuse to take part in the suicidal Japanese fighting spirit cliche like that, and act with compassion for life over some warped 'respect' for the fight. Comparing this to the Ippo fight, where Date's fight with the champion ended up with him being crippled for life. The situations were practically the same, where the champion was untouched and the challenger, Date, was horribly injured. In Ippo, though, the champion didn't want to 'disrespect' the challenger and ended up finishing him off brutally to end the fight. It's arguable on what is the right 'attitude' for these kind of events.

On the other hand, you could say that it's not up to the fighter to decide when the fight is done or not; it should be the seconds/referee that decides if the fight goes on. It's really quite shocking how many of these anime fights go way past the point where they should stop. I know it's for exaggerated drama, but it becomes particularly pronounced in these otherwise semi-realistic depictions of sports. I don't think I've ever actually seen a fight end with a doctor stop for a cut/injury in an anime, when I've seen tons of UFC fights end instantly when the opponent has a clear advantage.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
boxing is a bit bad with that though, there's a lot of videos of late stoppages in boxing, and corners that refuse to throw in the towel for whatever reason. But there's a thing in shonen with characters not getting punished for their suicidal spirit.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is that the manga where the only non-japanese, non-antagonistic character is a gay rapist that all the other dudes are terrified of?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Is that the manga where the only non-japanese, non-antagonistic character is a gay rapist that all the other dudes are terrified of?

Unfortunately yes. Thankfully he is sidelined most of the time but whenever Pedro is there it's really bad.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The month long gaps between like 8 page chapters is part of the reason why I'm not terribly interested in the current fights.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wild Horses posted:

boxing is a bit bad with that though, there's a lot of videos of late stoppages in boxing, and corners that refuse to throw in the towel for whatever reason. But there's a thing in shonen with characters not getting punished for their suicidal spirit.

Boxing also has referee's jump in when there is absolutely no reason to all the time though and thats way more common. Has Ippo ever dealt with that or the ridiculous scoring that often happens too?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

Has Ippo ever dealt with that or the ridiculous scoring that often happens too?

Miyata tied a match in Thailand due to bad scoring from racism, and I think a similar situation with a racist ref came up once.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The series ending after Ippo comprehensively wins his world title match only to lose on points because boxing would own

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So is the series on hiatus or are the scanlators even less interested than we are now

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Chapter 1086 came out this week (today?) in Japan. It's just taking a while for the chapters to get translated like usual.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

DoubleDonut posted:

Miyata tied a match in Thailand due to bad scoring from racism, and I think a similar situation with a racist ref came up once.

Volg vs Sendo back when they had their match. The ref judged crazy poo poo like a down from a blow that didn't hit Volg, and in addition, Sendo explicitly said after the match that "it didn't feel like he had won"

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

DoubleDonut posted:

Wolf's championship fight had the ref blatantly helping the american dude, didn't it?

It would be interesting if for Ippo's next fight, Kamogawa decided that he has to win by points alone, so he can prove he's better at dodging punches. But of course it will never happen, since he wants to cripple Ippo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just got caught up to the end of the woli fight (so five years behind)

It's not going to get any better is it?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It gets better, but not much while ippo is the center of attention.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

Nothing is worse than Woli so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ippo dying of brain damage and getting Hajime no Takamura would also be a good ending

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vorg shows up a good bit later and has one of the nicer fights of the series. Otherwise nothing super that I recall but nothing as anywhere close to as bad as Woli.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It actually gets better. There is an amazingly awesome fight coming up, and then there is a bit of *gasp* story progression. In between that there is a bunch more of 'meh' stuff though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i kept up solely because of that vorg fight and itagaki getting punched out.

Now I just really hope Ippo does have brain damage.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there any boxing fans in this thread? How realistic is the boxing in this manga, not counting Woli and all other cartoony stuff like that? The MMA in All-Rounder Meguru is pretty spot on, minus acouple of things but it's super fine for what it is.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any boxing fans in this thread? How realistic is the boxing in this manga, not counting Woli and all other cartoony stuff like that? The MMA in All-Rounder Meguru is pretty spot on, minus acouple of things but it's super fine for what it is.

its not.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Bisse posted:

There is an amazingly awesome fight coming up

Yeah, I liked the Kojima fight too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ManOfTheYear posted:

The actual boxing has been pretty bad outside of the Vorg title fight lately. It got worse as time went on, and the first zillion fights fit the shounen sports thing to a T where everyone Ippo fights is good at like one thing and nothing else.

The boxing theory presented at times is pretty alright, and so is the training (fuckloads of roadwork) but Ippo's career should've been over like 10 fights ago because he's a catcher and you don't last long doing that.

Also there's not nearly enough ref stops and clinching if we're talking being "realistic". And there's the thing how the 'fast' Ippo boxers constantly throw rabbit punches.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1084 is out

Smiling skull on page one and smiling Mashiba on the last were both nice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The gently caress is Ippo surprised for? I feel like we've see this changeup chopping right to right upper somewhere else before.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Is it just me or did Mashiba just use the Fish punch thing that Kimura used on him?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again with the rabbit punches.

Also Mashiba has been watching Ippo box too much.

"I'll let myself get hit a whole bunch, then they'll never see me coming. :smug:"

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Mashiba's still sporting those giraffe neck arms.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

Again with the rabbit punches.

It's just drawn at such an extreme angle for effect, you realize he's not actually hitting the guy in the back of the head right

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is it just me or between the way they're built up and the way they actually act, is this one of the least likeable main casts around?

I'm struggling to like anyone, for a whole host of reasons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is it just me or did Mashiba just use the Fish punch thing that Kimura used on him?

No, that one's the other way 'round. Pound the body, then go high.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The gently caress is Ippo surprised for? I feel like we've see this changeup chopping right to right upper somewhere else before.

Yeah I definitely remember seeing the exact same tactic used in a previous fight. I think it was actually Mashiba too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I definitely remember seeing the exact same tactic used in a previous fight. I think it was actually Mashiba too.

Found it. Chapter 855, Mashiba Ryou vs. Aaron Domirego. Mashiba kept getting fouled, but still won cleanly after coming back from his suspension with that chopping right-to-right upper.

Again, Ippo was there attending the fight, there's no way he should be surprised, since he's seen it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 11, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

TriffTshngo posted:

It's just drawn at such an extreme angle for effect, you realize he's not actually hitting the guy in the back of the head right

What if the referees in the Ippo universe are just as stupid as he is?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Again, Ippo was there attending the fight, there's no way he should be surprised, since he's seen it.

To be fair he has actual brain damage and memory problems.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair he has actual brain damage and memory problems.

...I'd love to give Morikawa the benefit of the doubt, because that might actually send Ippo down a somewhat-interesting storyline, but that's expecting way too much out of him.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno that was kinda brutal regardless of if it had been done before haha

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hes already better from the brain damage and it likely wont happen again i bet.

solid wait for another chapter where we see mashiba beat some background character. cant wait for the next chapter where sendo walks out and ippo makes some pithy remark about being ready for the world, despite taking the #2 ranked guy to the brink of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how old is ippo now and has he kissed a girl yet