Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry, but who's Nash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Cyron posted:

Personal attacks, bullshit, giant mental breakdown for all to see
Good lord. If only every other thread on this entire forum were as good as rooting out the creeps as this one consistently is. It's just amazing to see the sort of people who come out of the woodwork to degrade women who they perceive as a threat to their manbaby hobbies.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

Lawful characters get the opposite problem. They're wary of disorder and think that toppling a government will only lead to suffering. They'd prefer to try to lawfully change the leader, or remove inequity. In some ways, most people are inherently lawful. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll gleefully be an executioner just because the law says so, but it does mean that their first idea to reform the lovely military is probably going to be "put in a lot of years of effort to become a general and enact the reform from within."

Remind me of general nazgrim in world of warcraft, he was always a ally to you on the horde side but became a raid boss in Siege of orgammer Since he did a life oath to the warcheif when he more or less turn into a psycho. he was always good just remain loyal to the leader to the end.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cyron posted:

go put it on your twitter so your yesmen of fans can cheer you on.
Holy poo poo man, are you really doubling down on this?

E: Sorry didn't see that the discussion had moved on

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 31, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
bad post ignore me.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Cyron posted:

Becuase not liking you mean i am sexist. didn't you make fun of the mentally ill?

Funny part is, i don't hate you, i respect you far more then half of the people on TGWTG history. so sorry for being a complete dick and ruining this thread.

No, I never have made fun of the mentally ill and I never did screw over this Nash person, and I never did all the other tired lies the LK Mafia likes to sling around about me, but I can't tell you what a relief it is to have your respect. Really had me worried there for a while, edge of my seat wondering what you thought of all the hilariously untrue rumors you could only have heard about me through one of the filthiest cesspools of an internet community in existence.

Cyron posted:

bad post ignore me.

It's cool. Might as well edit all of your past posts with this too tbf.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I remember someone had a really good idea for a Lawful Good paladin in a TG thread that somewhat boiled down to him being a lot more jolly and not the typical stick-up-the-rear end sort.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I need more amazing art from the amazing people in this amazing thread:

I need fat, happy priests.

Like this fat laughing son of a bitch right here:

Only, you know, Fantasy style. I'm thinking of going another route with my paladin than previously. The idea of a fat paladin who just wants to have a good time (and make sure everyone else is having a good time) while he smites evil seems like it would be a lot of fun to play.

"Man those bandits are super dead. We should perform their funeral rights... with this bottle of blessed spirits."

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The DM made a statement about the monotheistic god of my paladin's religion actually being a good god who's followers are just basically trying to make the world a better place. My plan is basically to spin it into a priest who used to run an orphanage (basically a youth pastor), but for whatever reason (probably something to do with the holy war in the neighboring countries) decides he needs to take a "more active" role in the happenings of the world around him.

After all, a truly good god wouldn't care if priests were allowed to have fun as long as they continued to try and improve the world around them wile they did it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jay O posted:

No, I never have made fun of the mentally ill and I never did screw over this Nash person, and I never did all the other tired lies the LK Mafia likes to sling around about me, but I can't tell you what a relief it is to have your respect. Really had me worried there for a while, edge of my seat wondering what you thought of all the hilariously untrue rumors you could only have heard about me through one of the filthiest cesspools of an internet community in existence.

i was pissed off about poo poo, i won't say i am sorry becuase at this point it meaningless. this whole thing pisses me off.

quote:

It's cool. Might as well edit all of your past posts with this too tbf.

Someone will put it in my avatar, it will save the work.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 31, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mutation posted:

Did you know that Boyhood took twelve years to make?

Is that more or less time than the Channel Awesome Game Show?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
These past few pages made me sad for a lot of reasons. :(
Can we please let GamerGate die the death it deserves? I know we all feel very strongly about this, but I don't think this kind of vitriol is necessary. It just hurts everyone. I know I sound like a mom, but please just be nice. I reckon the overwhelming majority of people here are good folks, but a sour topic makes for sour conversation and people saying things otherwise would not. Can we just make it a rule that GamerGate cannot be discussed here anymore?

Fake edit: Previous guy had the right idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I should see boyhood, i heard it was made over the coarse of 12 years.

Beefstew posted:

These past few pages made me sad for a lot of reasons. :(
Can we please let GamerGate die the death it deserves? I know we all feel very strongly about this, but I don't think this kind of vitriol is necessary. It just hurts everyone. I know I sound like a mom, but please just be nice. I reckon the overwhelming majority of people here are good folks, but a sour topic makes for sour conversation and people saying things otherwise would not. Can we just make it a rule that GamerGate cannot be discussed here anymore?

the overall issue is that gamergate is intertwine with internet critics. people stand for or against it, talk about it all the time on twitter or make it a subject on a video. people like ainta are almost married to the subject just due to it nature. I think we did try to make it only a subject if it a subject to a video but it been a hot subject for the last 6 months.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
"Can we all stop talking about GamerGate?"

"Sure, but first the point I want to make about GamerGate is [fifteen paragraph mouthfart]"

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Errant Signal posted a new video about the debate (or lack thereof) between narrative and gameplay in games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBN3R0m31bA

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sorry, but who's Nash?

In the 80s and early 90s cop shows decided that they needed to be all dramatic and poo poo. Over time people got tired of that and shows like Walker Texas Ranger and Nash Bridges were made. Shows that would have an episode about fighting a grizly in the wild with your white guy native American mystic, but totally 100% Jesus loving Christian, white guy karate moves. Or in the case of Nash Bridges try and pretend that Miami Vice would totally be cool if it were about middle aged guys tooling around San Fransisco, totally not too old for this poo poo, but man it's close.

Staring Cheech Marin, a yellow 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, and Don Johnson as Nash Bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24aIEnOGc0

Also there were lots of hot ladies on the show, which I was quite keen on being a teenager at the time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jsor posted:

Yeah. No. Don't apologize. You keep apologizing every time you shitpost and everyone piles on you, but then (and here's the key) you keep doing it. Half the time about the same three topics! Don't apologize if you're not gonna learn anything. At the very least, I think you would have learned by now that 90% of the visitors of this thread vehemently disagree with you and you're just gonna get a pile-on again. Basic pattern recognition or something.

In an attempt to segue away from derailgate...

Spoony posted a video on Lawful Good.

I just don't like the Lawful/Chaos system. Oddly, I find it works better on the evil spectrum, because at least Devils being bound by their word to uphold contracts is interesting. The issue I have with Lawful Good characters is that they're bound to uphold a bad regime as long as the power was attained legitimately. They will take action to change it, but it will be purely internal action, which doesn't work well when your entire regime is corrupt. To me, the clearest example of Lawful/Chaotic Good is Yuri and Flynn from Tales of Vesperia. Flynn just doesn't get anything done until Yuri helps by basically being a murderer.

I strongly prefer neutral good for heroes. I usually play neutral-leaning-on-lawful, but full-on lawful (or full-on chaos where you just assume every regime is suspect) sucks. I think Lawful/Chaotic good alignments are a product of their settings more than an inherent trait. Robin Hood works as chaotic good because the Prince/Sheriff is a dick that rules with an iron fist. King Arthur or Sir Gawain work as Lawful Good because their regime is just. It's a matter of context in most adventures, and I doubt a real lawful good character could in good conscience continue being lawful just because a corrupt regime attained power legitimately.

I'm sure a very heavy RP-focused adventure could make changing a system from the inside engaging, but it would be difficult.

I think this highlights the arguments people make about the D&D alignment system. I've actually been watching the older Counter Monkey videos, and Spoony's brought up alignment here and here (albeit not as the focus in the second example).

I can't remember if it was in one the videos I posted, or another video altogether, but something he touched on is that alignment shouldn't necessarily be a restriction, but more of a guideline.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Jsor posted:

Spoony posted a video on [url=Lawful Good[/url].

I found this to be a very odd video to watch. It's probably Spoony's direct complaining to the viewer about them never wanting to play lawful characters. Like saying, "Why do YOU always complain about this??" and being lectured about why you are wrong for not doing this. I don't know, it just feels off but to be fair I don't really watch Spoony videos besides the few recommended in here so maybe that's just his style.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I found this to be a very odd video to watch. It's probably Spoony's direct complaining to the viewer about them never wanting to play lawful characters. Like saying, "Why do YOU always complain about this??" and being lectured about why you are wrong for not doing this. I don't know, it just feels off but to be fair I don't really watch Spoony videos besides the few recommended in here so maybe that's just his style.

Spoony belittles his fans pretty often, it's nothing new.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tracula posted:

Spoony belittles his fans pretty often, it's nothing new.
Ironic considering his opinions of the WWE

Also that Shadows of Mordor controversy on Joe's video is some bullshit, I he really hits the nail on the head for that one.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I always saw the Law/Chaos spectrum as not necessarily literally following laws but having an ordered way of looking at the world. A Lawful character believes in systems and codes of conduct. I don't think a Lawful Good character would be bound to uphold the laws of a Lawful Evil society. Even if this wasn't the intent of D&D's creators, I think it works better in actual practice.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To be honest, alignment systems are sort of dumb since at best people ignore/reinvent them and at worst people use them as character building guides (or worse, the GM enforces them as character guides)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's the even-nerdier Myers Briggs test!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

These men are PAWNS.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cyron posted:

I should see boyhood, i heard it was made over the coarse of 12 years.

the overall issue is that gamergate is intertwine with internet critics. people stand for or against it, talk about it all the time on twitter or make it a subject on a video. people like ainta are almost married to the subject just due to it nature. I think we did try to make it only a subject if it a subject to a video but it been a hot subject for the last 6 months.

wait what happened to this

Cyron posted:

i am done with this thread for a bit, i am going to a place where people are nicer to you for not agreeing with them like North Koria where i am sure the only thing close to gamergate is making a gate into a sport.

can't you at least stick to your word

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gyges posted:

The worst thing about gamergate is that I'm a Stargate dork and every time I see it a small part of my brain claps like a 5 year old and smiles about traveling to other worlds through games. Way to ruin that with misogyny and general dickery, internet.

Does Deflategate make you feel the same way?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Tony Zhau put out a couple more videos, focusing on shapes within a scene and shapes on the actual screen. It's simple stuff but works wonders at making a film more watchable.

Also, I know most reviewers here stick with the typical, static mugshot for the bulk of a video review's runtime, but for skits and stuff, how do you guys plan your camera work and scenes? I'm specifically thinking of Kyle's stuff right now, like Melancholia and Beauty and the Beast, as both reviews had skits that dramatically improved the review itself. I'm curious how those ideas translate behind the scenes, or if they're ever a consideration beyond "this looks good/bad" gut feelings?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jesus christ, how is talking about Gamergate not bannable in this thread?

Yeah, I know I'm bringing it out when the discussion is dead, but- ah gently caress it.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is it bannable in the rest of the forum?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

Does Deflategate make you feel the same way?

So far just gamergate, irisgate, and taupegate.

Deflategate makes me think of Hollywood Jamaica, also Hooray, Beer! Then about footballs and feeling bad about thinking Jamaica first.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mischalaniouse posted:

I always saw the Law/Chaos spectrum as not necessarily literally following laws but having an ordered way of looking at the world. A Lawful character believes in systems and codes of conduct. I don't think a Lawful Good character would be bound to uphold the laws of a Lawful Evil society. Even if this wasn't the intent of D&D's creators, I think it works better in actual practice.

I agree. The problem is that the first thing that comes to mind with "law" is the laws we deal with in everyday life, so you kind of default to law abiding citizen as archetype, hence the boring, goody two shoes stereotype. But like you said, that is not really what it is about, it simply refers to some kind of strict moral or procedural code that the characters follows. Which, when it comes to, let's say a paladin, would be the law of his order or his god, not whatever city state he is currently in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Angry Joe's controversy appears to have been taken down!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

e X posted:

I agree. The problem is that the first thing that comes to mind with "law" is the laws we deal with in everyday life, so you kind of default to law abiding citizen as archetype, hence the boring, goody two shoes stereotype. But like you said, that is not really what it is about, it simply refers to some kind of strict moral or procedural code that the characters follows. Which, when it comes to, let's say a paladin, would be the law of his order or his god, not whatever city state he is currently in.

At least according the the D&D 5th ed rules, that's closer to Lawful Neutral.

Lawful Good posted:

Lawful good (LG) creatures can be counted on to do
the right thing as expected by society. Gold dragons,
paladins, and most dwarves are lawful good.

Lawful Neutral posted:

Lawful neutral (LN) individuals act in accordance
with law, tradition, or personal codes. Many monks and
some wizards are lawful neutral.

The descriptions of races aligned towards lawful also mention an importance on a "well-ordered society"

quote:

Alignment. Most dwarves are lawful, believing firmly
in the benefits of a well-ordered society. They tend
toward good as well, with a strong sense of fair play and
a belief that everyone deserves to share in the benefits of
a just order.

Though I will be fair and say that Halfling slightly contradicts my description since they have "no tolerance for oppression":

quote:

Alignment. Most halflings are lawful good. As a rule,
they are good-hearted and kind, hate to see others in
pain, and have no tolerance for oppression. They are
also very orderly and traditional, leaning heavily on
the support of their community and the comfort of
their old ways.

I still think it's just better to ignore alignment rules.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MonsieurChoc posted:

Angry Joe's controversy appears to have been taken down!

Welp.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
The hell is "BroTeamPill?"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mischalaniouse posted:

The hell is "BroTeamPill?"

They're a youtube channel too and currently Joe and them are going back and forth on Twitter over what happened. They're mad because of this image apparently showing them in the pro GG side.

Edit: Thread title feels especially appropriate right now :v:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 31, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wait, Penny Arcade are on the GG side? I know they've done some dumb poo poo (dickwolves; transphobic comments), but I really didn't expect that of all things. Especially given how obsessively anti-bullying Mike Krahulik is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jsor posted:

At least according the the D&D 5th ed rules, that's closer to Lawful Neutral.

I still think it's just better to ignore alignment rules.

I know that sounds pretty arrogant, but I don't think the D&D author do a good job of actually explaining these things well. Or better, they also too often use stereotypes. And alignments are fine, as long as you keep in mind that your actions inform your alignment, not the other way round.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Mods! NWS tag for gratuitous display of dicks and tits please.

Content: About alignment in RPGs (Spoony's video), I think alignment is a necessary tool to force poor RPG players to inhabit their character. It's really difficult for a DM to haul aside players and say "but your character wouldn't do/say that" every time the player acts out of character. If you can point to a rule, that deflects conflict (marginally). But of course applying rules rigidly can be a way of being dickish towards players indirectly. I agree with Spoony's position that players having chaotic neutral and chaotic evil alignments is bad news. It is really a way for players to basically reduce engagement with the story/world of the game because it allows them to act as loose cannon and avoiding any binding commitments to NPGs etc.

Spoony makes some good points in the video but does it an antagonistic way.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
I'm not sure if I should be glad or not that I can't recognize almost any people on either side of that GG poster, like that black and white anime at the top or what appears to be a really nerdy version of the Burned Man from Fallout: New Vegas.

e X posted:

I know that sounds pretty arrogant, but I don't think the D&D author do a good job of actually explaining these things well. Or better, they also too often use stereotypes. And alignments are fine, as long as you keep in mind that your actions inform your alignment, not the other way round.
I don't think you sound particularly arrogant at all. There are definitely some people who do lean back on alignment as a way to play a caricature rather than a character, like Chaotic Neutral as an excuse to "woah so monkeycheese whacky!" or Lawful Good as the Puritan Terminator.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Mods! NWS tag for gratuitous display of dicks and tits please.

Content: About alignment in RPGs (Spoony's video), I think alignment is a necessary tool to force poor RPG players to inhabit their character. It's really difficult for a DM to haul aside players and say "but your character wouldn't do/say that" every time the player acts out of character.

Except that alignment doesn't help you do that in any meaningful way. If anything alignments cause more arguments and problems than not having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Do you know what I hate about D&D alignment? It's that everyone gets them wrong. :colbert:

quote:

It's really difficult for a DM to haul aside players and say "but your character wouldn't do/say that" every time the player acts out of character.

This should never happen because it's not what your alignment is for. Alignment is an after-taste of your characters actions, not a proscription of them. There are some races that have this after-taste pre-programmed in. If you're from the plane of Mechannus, you're gonna smell Lawful regardless of how much of a cheating, lying, traitorous rear end in a top hat you are. (Succubus Paladins exist. They count as all four alignments simultaneously :) )

Your alignment doesn't remove your characters ability to act against it - just that doing so will have an effect on how they 'ping' and consequences in the shape of how spells & magic items interact with them or in the case of (from 3e) Paladins, Bards, Monks, Druids and a few others, it might cause them to lose some class abilities.

Here's how it got explained to me and how I explain it to folks now in my games if Alignment ever comes up:

If a LG character chose to to poison a nun to save a city they would shift a step towards Evil, because poisoning a nun is an evil act, even though it's clearly the lesser of two evils - there's not 'good' solution to that (except for finding the rear end in a top hat who set it up and running it through with your +3 Kitana or whaever, but let's pretend that isn't an option here) . Depending on how many violations they've chalked up, or how specific or uptight their god (if any) is, or how important the nun was to her god, the characters suffix might shift to N or E. If the same character, in that same act, just broke their own 'non use of poisons and total non-killing of nuns' personal credo, their 'L' might shift to 'N' or 'C' depending on how hard and fast their credo dun got broke.

ninja edit:

Jsor posted:

Lawful characters get the opposite problem. They're wary of disorder and think that toppling a government will only lead to suffering. They'd prefer to try to lawfully change the leader, or remove inequity. In some ways, most people are inherently lawful. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll gleefully be an executioner just because the law says so, but it does mean that their first idea to reform the lovely military is probably going to be "put in a lot of years of effort to become a general and enact the reform from within."

Quick note to expand on this because I've seen it far too often. Obeying the local tribe's stone tablets of correct behaviour doesn't make you lawful - it's adherence to your own personal code.

I was in one infuriating group playing as a Paladin and I had a DM who flat out told me that my Paladin couldn't break into the bad guys house to smash his magic gem of fuckin' the city up because breaking and entering is against the law. Nope, my guy had to sit in the inn, BA Baraccus style, while the other players concocted a story on how they were going to go about that mission without letting on to me that they were doing crimes - because obviously the useless paladin would smite them all righteously the moment they did anything naughty.

Drow society (yeah, bringin' up Drow. Peak D&D nerdiness ahead) is ridiculously regimented with castes, houses, overly specific laws dealing with
overly specific violations, you must do X on a Sunday and you must do Y at Lolth's temple when your brother gets his (much deserved, stupid boy) beating and so on.

But Drow are chaotic. They play along with the rules and will adhere to them so long as they're being watched - even enforcing them so long as it benefits them. but you can be pretty drat sure every single one of them is planning how to murder the woman in the position above them so they can get a step up. Yes the Matriarch is all powerful and must be obeyed and here you go my lady, try this special wine I've made just for you. See - own personal credo - not the society, town, settlement or yurt you happen to be in at the time.

Alignments are dumb and no one does them right. But I like them. Alignment chat is like the gamergate of D&D. There. I said it. :can:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread