Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

I vaguely remember people talking about Tobi trying to block other studios from getting events or some other anti-competitive but I'm not sure.

Tobi has bosses, you might be thinking about them. I mean, if he worked for himself, he wouldn't live in Berlin because he bitches about the place frequently. He's not in the position LD is with BTS.

He's said once or twice that he supports people being able to alternative cast his events personally, because "if you have to be the only person casting to get viewers, you aren't doing a good job." But tournament organizers don't see it that way, particularly the MLG and DailyMotion tournaments do not want to see some guy casting it on Twitch, since trying to break Twitch's near-monopoly on streaming is arguably the point of the tournament from a business level.

Zyori got struck with that. He did his own little cast of SL7 (which went fine) and then tried to do Champions League, which got him a nastygram from ZeroGravity. Then he went to BTS and it's been flames ever since.

Ambivalent posted:

James also flamed and dismissed Tobi relentlessly at Dreamhack and at the TI4 EU Hub, and not in a 'haha, I'm being a bit of a bastard' sort of way.
Oh. I never saw EUhub. The way people talk about it, it was apparently the Dota version of the crazy hungover party.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wasn't Tobi acting like a bit of a creeper during EU Hub as well?

THis Na'Vi/EG game is real good.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Universe is so good.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Wasn't Tobi acting like a bit of a creeper during EU Hub as well?

THis Na'Vi/EG game is real good.
Yeah Tobi still was creepy and when even the GD studio thinks you go too far you might have an issue.

I'm not sure I like the necro pick here. EG has a lot of utility but if one part doesn't work the whole thing falls apart.

Edit: Like that, welp.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The reign of darkness is over. Dazzle MVP on this day of the defeated EG.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ambivalent posted:

Doesn't mean a thing.

James also flamed and dismissed Tobi relentlessly at Dreamhack and at the TI4 EU Hub, and not in a 'haha, I'm being a bit of a bastard' sort of way.

This was actually painful to watch. James was merciless.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
TI4 revenge being taken by Big God against Newbee. Unusual wisp pick, though.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

TI4 revenge being taken by Big God against Newbee. Unusual wisp pick, though.

Yeah it is funny, Burning, Lanm and ROTK all teams that had their dreams trampled by Newbee... And Xiao8 who was on that Newbee team getting to show them that like 'whatever, I don't even need you guys, I made a better team just stacking with my friends'.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I love Big God and the players but I feel kinda bad for the teams that bootcamped really hard for this tournament, only to get stomped anyways by a casual friendstack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

IncendiaC posted:

I love Big God and the players but I feel kinda bad for the teams that bootcamped really hard for this tournament, only to get stomped anyways by a casual friendstack.

lol if you think Big God did not practice hard for a $2.5m tournament

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

IncendiaC posted:

Worth it to get to see some of the best players playing basically for fun with their friends who are also some of the best players. It is basically All-Star Best Friends Gang. One of my favorite things about baseball is how the stats and memories people have root the present day performances so much in the context of baseball as a larger continuity. Remembering folks like Merlini or Burning who were the greatest players of DotA 1 gives it that sort of continuity baseball has.

But whereas in baseball, you're never going to have like Mike Trout randomly match up against Satchel Paige for a friendly, we can see Universe queue into a pub and see him get rolled by YaphetS's Shadowfiend, and I think that is really cool.
Disclaimer: I am a massive nerd.

Elyv posted:

They formed 4 weeks ago as a stunt for i-League, then joined the DAC qualifiers. How 'hard' they practiced in the past four weeks, amidst playing all those DAC Quals and i League matches is anyone's guess.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 31, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's BO1. Getting stomped by anyone means shrugged shoulders. It's only when you get stomped by the friendstack and the team with communication issues and the team that plays really poorly that things become a concern. LGD and IG might have boot camped, but they don't look like it.

Newbee sure as hell doesn't look practiced, and they're facing HR next. I think if they lose there it's time to throw in the towel? Between Secret's streak and being so far in the negatives, the highest they can get by now is what, sixth?

Elyv posted:

They're on a self made team precisely because their wives won't let them play Dota for 12 hour days like Chinese orgs demand. Or at least that's the case with Lanm, supposedly Xiao8 will be back full time on some other team after this reshuffle.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 31, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
NewBee have to win every single game from here on out to even have a chance of making it to the main event don't they?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the top 12 advance, though 9-12 start in the loser bracket

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

They're on a self made team precisely because their wives won't let them play Dota for 12 hour days like Chinese orgs demand. Or at least that's the case with Lanm, supposedly Xiao8 will be back full time on some other team after this reshuffle.

I suspect that their wives are going to be more understanding for a short-term commitment for prize pool of that magnitude. Even if it's not 12 hours a day, I would still consider something like 7-8 hours a day heavy practice.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

IncendiaC posted:

Casual might be too strong a word and it isn't like you can turn off being competitive. I'm pretty sure they bootcamped as well even if it wasn't as hard as other teams. In a way it is good that experience means so much.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

He plays real music instead of EDM. Deal breaker.

Just quoting this because I don't know if it's ironic or not.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Idiootti posted:

Its not but thats also a good reason to quote it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Idiootti posted:

I guess everyone plays the same five freely licensed songs now, but I watch Draskyl's stream a lot and at least 90% of his playlist I unironically enjoy.

I'm also so old that I can count my age by adding up some of the players coming and going from EG lately.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Good servers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good servers.

:lol: at the Chinese admin's explanation according to KOTLguy - 'the net wrong please wait'

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yo can we talk about how bad ld is at bubble trouble almost worse than abandoning all goons

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just spent the downtime building this so I guess it wasn't a total loss

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Vici game finished in under the lenght of the pause

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

GD and BTS both hate Tobi too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2rz9ri/ama_im_james_2gd_harding_answering_questions/cnky6d9

Totally dude.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Pretty sure you can find LD making the same sort of post on Reddit.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Difference is that LD is known for always being wrong, while James is known for always saying exactly what he thinks.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

you're right, my bad, James loves Tobi and respects him as a professional

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

is there a multicast for this because I want to watch all three games in the next set

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
synsun casts are pretty good

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

IcePhoenix posted:

is there a multicast for this because I want to watch all three games in the next set

Not really but you can multitwitch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ojetor posted:

Not really but you can multitwitch.

you are good people, thanks

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
VG with the Archers strat against Na'vi.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
no mirana & clinkz doesn't count

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
That iG / CDEC game sure was an exciting one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hahaha both games going on just had like eight players each drop simultaneously.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well iceiceice just carried that game on his flaming feathery back

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Secret just slowly dissecting Newbee all game is impressive to watch.

e; oh man what a puppey pause

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 31, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's fifty minutes and you have a Bristleback and a Razor vs a Medusa.

Secret, man, don't do this.

Edit: Refresher Axe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hey I have an idea let's run at Medusa while standing in Macropyre.

• Locked thread