Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GRIMN V versus the SPACE CAULIFLOWER

Gorgeous, though.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I want this game with a raw priapic lust that renders me incapable of locomotion.

Good show! :golfclap:

Especially since Elite ended up looking kinda disappointing and I decided not to get it...

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Well, here's to hoping that the Homeworld HD remake pipes up more interest in Enemy Starfighter. :unsmith:
I don't see much point in paying thirty bucks to buy a game that's sitting right next to me on the bookshelf. The higher-def graphics would be nice but if there are no gameplay enhancements at all then why bother?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Homeworld comparisons are nice, and I, too own a genuine copy of Homeworld, and recognize its genius and beauty. But in my heart I always wanted to defer control to the AI and just fly the ships.

So the HW reboot/remake/refresh/thing and its groundswell of excitement is great and all, but I keep thinking, maybe someone else can do the RTS bit and hire me to do some fightin'?

Homeworld's rebirth is great, but this game is what I've been wanting since Homeworld came out.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I don't see much point in paying thirty bucks to buy a game that's sitting right next to me on the bookshelf. The higher-def graphics would be nice but if there are no gameplay enhancements at all then why bother?

Because maybe some people actually care that it has better graphics?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Because Homeworld 1 can be tricky to get working on a modern computer and Steam multiplayer integration or whatever will be awesome?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Milky Moor posted:

Steam multiplayer integration or whatever will be awesome?

This, especially with Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 factions in one multiplayer

Please steam workshop for mods + mod multiplayer.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

doctorfrog posted:

Homeworld's rebirth is great, but this game is what I've been wanting since Homeworld came out.

Agreed but with a twist of "I always wanted to lead from the front." instead of "Some other jerk can be in the captains chair, i have dogfighting to do!", i always got that latter kick out of Freespace 2. :getin:

Phrosphor posted:

Please steam workshop for mods + mod multiplayer.

The lack of Homeworld Cataclysm is devastating to me. :smith:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The higher-def graphics would be nice?

$30 well spent, IMO.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

Because Homeworld 1 can be tricky to get working on a modern computer and Steam multiplayer integration or whatever will be awesome?

This. I OWN homeworld (only the first one, well after the fact) but I never got around to playing it because :pcgaming: followed by :effort:

If this remastered/HD version works out, then I can be finally super terrible at this game!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Phrosphor posted:

Keep in mind that that mode is going to be nothing like either Homeworld game. HW1 and HW2 use completely different gameplay systems (for example HW1 is 100% accurate everything, but projectiles have to hit to do damage while HW2 does dice-rolls and fudges the FX into a miss or hit) and they simply don't mix. They'll have to redo the factions to fit a common standard system.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Keep in mind that that mode is going to be nothing like either Homeworld game. HW1 and HW2 use completely different gameplay systems (for example HW1 is 100% accurate everything, but projectiles have to hit to do damage while HW2 does dice-rolls and fudges the FX into a miss or hit) and they simply don't mix. They'll have to redo the factions to fit a common standard system.

Yeah, looking back, the dice-roll system is probably way cheaper for them to process (and more stable for the designers). I remember HW2 having MUCH larger battle sizes, so maybe this is how they achieved that.

A decent percentage of ES's CPU cycles are being spent predicting aim points and driving articulated turrets. poo poo's expensive when you actually have to aim.

There's always a spot in my heart for RTSs that physically simulate this stuff:
  • Homeworld 1
  • Myth
  • Total Annihilation (and its extended family)
  • Battlezone
What other ones am I forgetting?

Speaking of HW1, I just added this upgrade last night (name will change):

Now to work on the AI order for it.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 30, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Silently anticipating this game :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thyrork posted:

Agreed but with a twist of "I always wanted to lead from the front." instead of "Some other jerk can be in the captains chair, i have dogfighting to do!", i always got that latter kick out of Freespace 2. :getin:

:shobon::hf::getin:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Great Joe posted:

What is the Fiat Punto of joysticks?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kairo posted:

There's always a spot in my heart for RTSs that physically simulate this stuff:
  • Homeworld 1
  • Myth
  • Total Annihilation (and its extended family)
  • Battlezone
What other ones am I forgetting?
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, then its semi-sequels, the Men of War games, physically simulate every goddamn thing, including bullets.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Assault Squad is genuinely amazing, proper simulation stuff goes a long way into making things feel right. Nothing like watching a tank demolish a building by driving through it and using the half destroyed house as cover.

Supreme Commander also did the tracking everything thing. Artillery could shoot down airplanes if they flew into the shell.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, then its semi-sequels, the Men of War games, physically simulate every goddamn thing, including bullets.

hemale in pain posted:

Assault Squad is genuinely amazing, proper simulation stuff goes a long way into making things feel right.

Good call! I forgot about these, even though I've spent about 15 hours in various iterations of the franchise. I should play them more. I think I spent hours trying to beat the train yard defense mission (#2) in the original. It was super fun, but exhausting.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kairo posted:

Good call! I forgot about these, even though I've spent about 15 hours in various iterations of the franchise. I should play them more. I think I spent hours trying to beat the train yard defense mission (#2) in the original. It was super fun, but exhausting.

Fuuuuuuuuuck that mission. I'm sure it captures the actual feel/atmosphere of the situation but goddamn was it annoying as hell.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

hemale in pain posted:

Assault Squad is genuinely amazing, proper simulation stuff goes a long way into making things feel right. Nothing like watching a tank demolish a building by driving through it and using the half destroyed house as cover.

Supreme Commander also did the tracking everything thing. Artillery could shoot down airplanes if they flew into the shell.

I knew Assault Squad was something special when a Tiger popped the turret off my T-34 and it crushed the poor conscript rifleman it landed on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kairo posted:

That mission is amazing co-op, because if you have at least 3 people you start to approach the level of attention you need for all those attack directions and units. Yes, the entire Men of War campaign is multiplayer capable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Men of War campaign coop is some of the best poo poo ever in a video game and if you've never played it you should find 1-3 friends and play it with them ASAP.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Men of War campaign coop is some of the best poo poo ever in a video game and if you've never played it you should find 1-3 friends and play it with them ASAP.

I watched a YouTube of gameplay and it looks sweet. Been playing coop IL2 with my buddy as the tailgunner but we might take a break and play this

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
you absolutely should, it's one of those rare games where wtf unscripted poo poo happens regularly even in the scripted singleplayer missions

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Also the voice acting is so incredibly bad that it wraps around and becomes amazing.

"For Uncle Sam!!"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Asteroidz:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ghetto wormhole posted:

Also the voice acting is so incredibly bad that it wraps around and becomes amazing.

"For Uncle Sam!!"

"Now things are hotting up!"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What's with the textures not being loaded in the last one? Is that an art choice or a bug?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

According to the linked post, "The last one shows what it’s like without any texture data (the “old” way)."

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Those pictures are all gorgeous

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This one really gives a nighttime deep sea expedition feeling for some reason.

Also the textures really help those asteroids out.

[EDIT] For clarity, I'm not complaining about the deep sea expedition aesthetic on this image. It is arguably my favorite image of the bunch. I just thought it was neat.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 1, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaodai posted:

This one really gives a nighttime deep sea expedition feeling for some reason.

Also the textures really help those asteroids out.

Speaking of, why is it so dark? A sun that close should create much more light?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Because there's no gas to absorb and reflect light.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Space is kinda really dark.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

According to the linked post, "The last one shows what it’s like without any texture data (the “old” way)."

Yes, that's the old "flat' method. Basically, I spent last night thinking about the feedback some of you jokers gave about the asteroids and worked on it. Now, the high frequency detail only shows up through the specular map. This leaves some of the shadowed sides as the pure faceted polygons. I'm going to let this method sit for a little bit and see if I still like it after a week. I think it stays a bit more true to the original style while still solving some of the issues I brought up earlier.

Edit: Here's a better shot of the faceting mixed with the texturing.

Michaellaneous posted:

Speaking of, why is it so dark? A sun that close should create much more light?

It might. I stumbled on the floodlight-in-murky-water look and built a theme around it. It doesn't seem too bad when you're actually flying around. Also, the asteroids get colored based on theme, and this one has them set to be pretty dark, so they're not bouncing as much light back.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 1, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think it's a really unique and foreboding effect, honestly.

Is there any kind of environmental effect from the various different types of system? Because if there is, I'd love to see a sensor dampening effect in that system. Give it a real "submarine wolfpack" type feel. Maybe you catch your targets unaware and blow them up easier, or maybe the sensors being on the fritz means you jumped into a fleet that's actually 25% stronger than you initially detected.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Is there any kind of environmental effect from the various different types of system? Because if there is, I'd love to see a sensor dampening effect in that system.

Not right now, but I eventually want to do stuff like you're mentioning. Hiding information can be really interesting! Another modifier I was thinking of would make some systems will disallow shields due to interference from the star. So if you're a shield-centric house, or have been stacking shield modifiers on your fleet, have fun in there.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kairo posted:

Not right now, but I eventually want to do stuff like you're mentioning. Hiding information can be really interesting! Another modifier I was thinking of would make some systems will disallow shields due to interference from the star. So if you're a shield-centric house, or have been stacking shield modifiers on your fleet, have fun in there.

I suppose there would be some kind of corrosive nebula or something that would be the counterpart for armor stacking? The start that disallows shields might also mess with guided missile weapons, so that there's a bit of balance in both directions rather than just strict defensive weakening. The only other one that comes to me off the top of my head for random system effects, and I don't know if this is the kind of thing you'd even want to add from a story standpoint, is a system that (unreported to the player) may have an ancient battleship in it hostile to both parties. So small skirmishes may not draw it's attention, but if a massive fleet jumps in or a big battle is happening, it detects it and shows up to wreak havoc. Obviously you'd get a lot of dread points (or unique salvage, or whatever you'd want to make a reward for killing it) because you showed your enemy that you just made whatever precursor built that monstrosity your bitch.

I think those kinds of randomizations could go a long way towards adding replayability to the campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Stop giving him ideas it's going to make the game take longer :negative:

• Locked thread