Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Maybe I just got lucky or something, but I managed to oneshot the first two bosses, mine and penguin, while chugging bandages like they were candy. If you're actually wearing the relevant armor upgrades so they give stats, their attacks do maybe 25% of your hp bar max? I made about 200 bandages before I saw the first boss and I went through around 70 during the fight. Just ignored the adds and went crazy jumping all over.

Also, I think it's awesome that the matter manipulator is now your endgame mining tool. It's a bit of a pain to get the first speed upgrade, but I had the best luck just going to an average difficulty world and chewing it up with diamond/platinum pickaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Also, I think it's awesome that the matter manipulator is now your endgame mining tool. It's a bit of a pain to get the first speed upgrade, but I had the best luck just going to an average difficulty world and chewing it up with diamond/platinum pickaxes.

Same, overall. Now double each speed upgrade's effect, and make the final area it removes 6x6 and we're good to go :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i haven't looked at any starbound-related threads for a while, did that january update actually land and how cool/whatever is it on a scale of Starbound to Starbound

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Dandywalken posted:

Same, overall. Now double each speed upgrade's effect, and make the final area it removes 6x6 and we're good to go :getin:

That's actually pretty easy I think, i'll take a swing at it now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

XboxPants posted:

I consider paying to have a brand of forum shame removed to be one of the most sickening acts humanly possible, second only perhaps to making minor grammatical or semantic errors that undermine your argument.

It's good, strong forum shame too, not like the bad starbound ones or the teeth avatars someone overhanded onto like fifteen people in the JoJo threads

Anyone doing the Your Starbound Crew stuff, I've noticed that you can damage crew members - I'm assuming the trick here is to kill them, rerun their mission to get a new spawner, and then place the spawner somewhere else in case you want to move them? What about the dudes whose spawners you just get from quests like the architect and the chef?

I wish these dudes just sort of stood around or had a little set of settable animations (like I want to have my first mate just sitting down in front of a console) instead of running back and forth like a pack of crazy stupid assholes.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Captain Gordon posted:

Hey, after the update Starbound runs like absolute garbage. Can anyone drop some tips on improving FPS as there dont seem to be any options in the game to do this?

You're hosed, like me. Starboned.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Dandywalken posted:

TheSpookyDanger posted:

That's actually pretty easy I think, i'll take a swing at it now.

I don't know if i'm tired, stupid, or both but I cannot get this to actually work. I've tried increasing blockRadius, minBeamWidth, maxBeamWidth, minBeamLines, and maxBeamLines. None of those seem to work. I've tried changing these on the main beamaxe.beamaxe as well as the upgrades. I've tried existing and new characters. Anyone have any ideas?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

You're hosed, like me. Starboned.

From what I heard they hosed up and the patch didn't include some things it was meant to, so it runs like poo poo on most people's computers.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

I wrote up a small guide on how to defeat the bosses if you are stuck on them or something :

Lunar Boss :

Items :
x30 Bandages(always have some bandages ready before going on missions)
Full set of Steel armor
1x Shield if you want to turn the boss into easy mode at the later stages

For the boss itself you actually don't need good weapons(to get to the boss though thats a different matter), immediatelly when you get in start pulling the switches, you should be able to get atleast 2 up before he 'activates', in the first stage just
avoid the laser, no need to waste your bandages, when the boss gets hit and the laser dissapears, repeat what you did when you first entered the area and immediatelly start pulling the switches again when you can(might take some seconds for
them to work again though). I recommend just running through the lasers here(have your bandages ready) to pull the switches as fast as you can. After the boss is hit again, pull out the shield(someone tell me if the shield doesn't work, I actually did
this without one), and whenever you get cornered, use it immediatelly, this is where you will probably want to have the majority of bandages avaiable. After you pull the switches again and the boss gets hit, it dies.

Dreadwing :

x20-40 Bandages
Full set of Titanium armor
1x Titanium Hammer
1x Firearm/Crossbow/Bow(bow is terrible for this) if you want to cheese it

Compared to the previous boss fight, this one is a joke, just zoom out as far as possible, or start shooting randomly to the top-right of the screen until you hit dreadwing, then keep shooting til he dies, mission done.

If you don't have a ranged weapon, make sure you have as much bandages as possible for the boss fight itself, and dodge his attacks + just kill the penguins until he 'slams' the ground, he will be stunned temporarily and you can kill him this way,
repeat a few times and you are done.

Floran Boss :
x10-20 Bandages
Full set of Durasteel armor
1x Durasteel Hammer(yeah, I mostly use hammers for their damage)
1x Firearm/Crossbow/Bow if you want to cheese it

Now, the floran boss as far as I have noticed didn't have a ranged attack, so if you have ranged weaponry, just stay away and keep shooting until he dies.

If you don't have a ranged weapon, just hit him with a hammer, go back immediatelly, if he hit you use bandages, repeat. This boss is a complete joke because its just a stronger floran, I didn't see any unique mechanics when I fought him.

Shockhopper MK I :
x1 Grappling hook (A MUST-HAVE)
Full Volium Armor Set
1x Volium Hammer
1x Aegisalt AR(or a cheap common assault rifle/machine pistol, the less energy it uses and the faster fire of rate the better)
10-20x Nano Bandages(alternatively have a lot of normal bandages)
1x Shield (Also a must-have)

Stage 1 :
Now, the legit hardest boss in the game, in the first stage just keep punching him with the hammer when he is following you(make sure to backstep the second he attacks you), then when he goes to the middle and stays static, that means
he is about to fire 3 missiles at you, switch to your Aegisalt gun and shoot them down with it, the missiles will go down in one hit(you can even melee them if you want to risk that), when he is back to attempting to punch you, repeat hammering.

Stage 2 :
When he reaches 3/4 of his health and starts floating, take your shield and go to a corner(the one I went to was the left-most one), If you can time it correctly, attempt to block just when you are about to be hit by the electric balls, otherwise just keep holding it.
After that is done, he will go back down, but his punching attack will now be replaced by a flamethrower, and he will have a 'dash attack'. Grapple to the top of the ceiling and when he uses a flamethrower, you might get hit by the flamethrower once or twice while doing it,
but don't worry, you can heal that easily with how low its damage is. After a while, he will go to one of the corners, then dash to the other side once, when he hits the wall he is stunned, go back down from grapple, start hitting him, then go back to
the ceiling when he brings his flamethrower, repeat this tactic til he is down to 2/4 of his health. IF at any point he goes to the middle(outside of reaching 2/4 health), that means he is about to launch missiles, go down from the ceiling and repeat the tactic from the first
stage and shoot them down, he will fire 4 missiles this time.

Stage 3 :
When you bring him down to 2/4 of his health, he starts floating in the air, repeat the shield tactic, then go back to the top of the ceiling. His missile attack and dash attacks get an upgrade, he will launch 5 missiles, and dash twice(from one corner away, then back to that one).

After you bring him down to 1/4 of his health, stage 4 begins, BUT if you are at full hp, have some bandages and the hammer, you can go up to him and start hitting him the second he starts going back to the middle and floating, this is how I defeated him without ever entering stage 4.
This is quite risky though, if you don't think you can do it, take your shield and go back to the corner.

Stage 4 :
Yet again, same tactics, except he uses 6 missiles and dashes three times now.

Probably not the best ways to defeat them, it's how I did the Dark S- Starbound bosses though.

Matt141 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 31, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Anyone figure out what the mystery lever in the moon mission does? Using the wiring tool to peek at the wires it looks like it does something on the lower left side, down to that area where one person posted about trying to fit through a too small hole to get to. I can't figure out if it's doing anything to let me in though.
There's two secret levers in that mission.

1: One in a cramped space on top of one of the bunkers with miners
2: One at the ceiling of the big cave with infected miners

You need to flip both to open a locked hatch in that secret room just before the boss.

Duck + Dash will get you through all the necessary "morphball" holes. If you have that, you'll have all the necessary tools even before beating the boss.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Weren't they going to fix the machine guns vs armor issue for this or did that just get added to the to-do list? Found there's still no point to the low-damage rapid-fire stuff, even if the dps is high, when you face non-monster NPCs.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Don't really mind waiting, game seems to be going fine even if I thought progress would be way faster. I think the whole thing about moving everybody in England obviously slowed progress last year, and I think they overalls some of the basic mechanics of the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So I guess now I've got to mine uranium and titanium to make durasteel? At least diamonds don't seem to be used for anything but picks and drills so I can make a ton of the fuckers.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Weren't they going to fix the machine guns vs armor issue for this or did that just get added to the to-do list? Found there's still no point to the low-damage rapid-fire stuff, even if the dps is high, when you face non-monster NPCs.

Actually 1 handed machine guns are really good. The ones I've seen do about the same damage as there 2 handed counterparts and if you dual weald them or use a good 1 handed sword your set. It's the 2 handed ones that suck.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Slime posted:

So I guess now I've got to mine uranium and titanium to make durasteel? At least diamonds don't seem to be used for anything but picks and drills so I can make a ton of the fuckers.

Yep, titanium and uranium. Just go to a radioactive star and mine poo poo on planets with high levels of radiation.

And you use diamonds to buy new ship licenses. I know that the first license is 2 diamonds and second one is 4. After that, I've got no idea.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mortvert posted:

Yep, titanium and uranium. Just go to a radioactive star and mine poo poo on planets with high levels of radiation.

And you use diamonds to buy new ship licenses. I know that the first license is 2 diamonds and second one is 4. After that, I've got no idea.

Ship licenses? Apparently I haven't unlocked that yet despite having a pile of diamonds.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
After you finish all the other quests for a given tier the penguin bay sells you the ship upgrade license (still gotta feed SAIL some mats to make the actual upgrade)

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I don't know if i'm tired, stupid, or both but I cannot get this to actually work. I've tried increasing blockRadius, minBeamWidth, maxBeamWidth, minBeamLines, and maxBeamLines. None of those seem to work. I've tried changing these on the main beamaxe.beamaxe as well as the upgrades. I've tried existing and new characters. Anyone have any ideas?

firerate and blockradius are the only changes you need, but you need to change the beamaxe files in the packed.pak file in [game_directory]/[folders]/assets. Gotta unpack, alter all the beamaxe files in Notepad, then repack.

If you do this, don't bother with the MM upgrade quests unless you just want them to not be in S.A.I.L.'s prompt.

There's a mod called Better Beamaxe that does this for you without having to alter packed assets after every update, but it's not updated for Upbeat Giraffe. May wanna holler at the creator on the forums.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 31, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Got the bug net, can't find any bugs (because my game loads :smug:). Help?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They seem to be fairly rare.

They look like this, tend to be pretty close to the ground, and they seem to appear more often on forest planets. Just keep looking, you'll find one.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

zgrowler2 posted:

firerate and blockradius are the only changes you need, but you need to change the beamaxe files in the packed.pak file in [game_directory]/[folders]/assets. Gotta unpack, alter all the beamaxe files in Notepad, then repack.

Yeah, I did this. It's how I knew what those functions were named. Changing them does nothing for the matter manipulator.

zgrowler2 posted:

There's a mod called Better Beamaxe that does this for you without having to alter packed assets after every update, but it's not updated for Upbeat Giraffe. May wanna holler at the creator on the forums.

I actually grabbed a couple of these mods after trying to replicate what i'd done for the last stable. Those mods are all essentially identical to what I had already tried. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be another bit hiding somewhere else that needs to change. Alternately, i'm making a really obvious mistake somewhere, so if someone else wants to take a pass at it i'd be grateful.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wander around on a world and look for tiny little flecks floating around near the ground. Bugs are really small and easy to miss.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 31, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Shot in the dark, anyone got some coordinates for an Avian Tomb with a Moon statue on it?

On that note, if anyone runs into any I'd appreciate it if you remember this post.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll probably add a coordinates section to the OP like in the last thread

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I'll probably add a coordinates section to the OP like in the last thread

Oooh, this sounds good, I'm looking forward to flying across the galaxy, checking out neat stuff.

Also, hey everyone, I was looking at my 6 month old son's book collection, and saw "Starbound: the book".

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Yeah, I did this. It's how I knew what those functions were named. Changing them does nothing for the matter manipulator.

I actually grabbed a couple of these mods after trying to replicate what i'd done for the last stable. Those mods are all essentially identical to what I had already tried. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be another bit hiding somewhere else that needs to change. Alternately, i'm making a really obvious mistake somewhere, so if someone else wants to take a pass at it i'd be grateful.

Sounds like you're having the exact same problem that I was having. First, unpacking the assets and then editing them does nothing. The game doesn't read from that directory. You have to go to the giraffe storage folder in your starbound directory and make a folder for a new mod. Then put the modded files in the right spot inside the mod directory. So mods/YourMod/items/tools/miningtools and then throw your modded beamaxe files in there. You would think that would be enough but the game won't load the files unless you also have a modinfo file. It should look like this:

code:
{
  "name" : "IlluminatedOres",
  "version" : "Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : [],
  "metadata": {
    "author" : "Amadox",
    "description" : "Slightly glowing ores to make them easier visible",
    "version" : "1.1a"
  }
}
This is for the illuminated ores mod and when I tried making my own mod I just copied it over, edited and renamed it and after I did that it loaded the changes I made.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

I made a small chart of ore locations if anyone wants to know where is what :

So far all of these seem to have copper/silver/gold/platinum/diamond, the more dangerous the smaller chance for stuff like copper and silver, more for stuff like platinum and diamond(extreme level planets are filled with diamonds for example)

Moons : Liquid Fuel(and I think plutonium, not 100% sure though)
Harmless/Mostly Harmless : Iron
Moderate : Titanium
Risky : Titanium and Uranium
Dangerous : Violium, Aegisalt and Rubium
Extreme : Violium, Aegisalt, Rubium and Solarium

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know that character info and universe info are separate, so without deleting your universe, every character you make is in the same one, but do they all automatically have the same starter planet? That's new, right? It used to be that a new character would be settled virtually anywhere.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Shot in the dark, anyone got some coordinates for an Avian Tomb with a Moon statue on it?

On that note, if anyone runs into any I'd appreciate it if you remember this post.

X: 19445588 Y: 61080270 Gentle Star

Epsilon Pitcheon 4311 II

Main planet has the emblem, just go right until you see it below you. a has the codex for the other quest.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
How does the sign maker work? I don't understand the interface at all

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jusupov posted:

X: 19445588 Y: 61080270 Gentle Star

Epsilon Pitcheon 4311 II

Main planet has the emblem, just go right until you see it below you. a has the codex for the other quest.

Thanks.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Anyone using custom space ships encountering problems with the quests? I just don't want the ship upgrade quests going haywire if my ship happens to be a thatched roof cottage

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I havent seen any ship-upgrade quests aside from the ones related to letting you move/FTL poo poo. Are we able to expand the size yet?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dandywalken posted:

I havent seen any ship-upgrade quests aside from the ones related to letting you move/FTL poo poo. Are we able to expand the size yet?

Yeah, once you do every quest that you can the merchant to the right sells you an upgrade. After you upgrade you get more quests.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
anyone have coordinates for either a Dangerous-level boss or a Dangerous-level Avian airship? I'm looking for guns that aren't terrible so I can cheese the Penguin Mech; have Violium 511dps 1-handers, the Aegisalt Rifle, and three spells on a Rubium Armor build (w/ Violium Armor option).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

zgrowler2 posted:

anyone have coordinates for either a Dangerous-level boss or a Dangerous-level Avian airship? I'm looking for guns that aren't terrible so I can cheese the Penguin Mech; have Violium 511dps 1-handers, the Aegisalt Rifle, and three spells on a Rubium Armor build (w/ Violium Armor option).

Make sure you pick up a treasure map from one if you end up finding it.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Make sure you pick up a treasure map from one if you end up finding it.

Will do; I found an airship some time yesterday, but I accidentally hosed up the quartermaster's pathing by taking the floor out from under him, so I couldn't buy anything. Didn't find a map on that particular ship, but I did get the propellers.

E: is anyone else encountering a bug where enemies freeze mid-animation and you can't mine or hit anything?

E2: I think it's a memory issue with the game, also have map chunks taking 20-30secs to load. Weird.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 31, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bilal posted:

Sounds like you're having the exact same problem that I was having. First, unpacking the assets and then editing them does nothing. The game doesn't read from that directory. You have to go to the giraffe storage folder in your starbound directory and make a folder for a new mod. Then put the modded files in the right spot inside the mod directory. So mods/YourMod/items/tools/miningtools and then throw your modded beamaxe files in there. You would think that would be enough but the game won't load the files unless you also have a modinfo file. It should look like this:

code:
{
  "name" : "IlluminatedOres",
  "version" : "Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : [],
  "metadata": {
    "author" : "Amadox",
    "description" : "Slightly glowing ores to make them easier visible",
    "version" : "1.1a"
  }
}
This is for the illuminated ores mod and when I tried making my own mod I just copied it over, edited and renamed it and after I did that it loaded the changes I made.

Yeah, I know all of that. I had to do that for my bossrebalance mod. I'm sure i'm just missing something stupid, i'll take another pass at it later.

I've updated the bossrebalance to include all of the bosses:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/easier-crystal-boss-upbeat-giraffe.2490/

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Is anyone else having a problem with ore turning into perfectly generic items? Any time I mine silver ore it turns into a "perfectly generic item" in my inventory... :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Green Calx posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with ore turning into perfectly generic items? Any time I mine silver ore it turns into a "perfectly generic item" in my inventory... :(

Are you running any mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah a PGI is what the game generates when it's trying to call an item into existence that it can't read.

• Locked thread