Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The problem with Kiel is that he looks and acts twelve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LLSix posted:

Illuminata

quote:

mature and responsible

uhhhhhh

quote:

For Bachelors I would think Kiell with his cooking and kindness was a shoo in

shoe in, and he's phenomenally bland. if i wanted generic characters i'd be playing harvest moon, i play RF for the gay dudebro fishermen and the kawaii insect girls and the chicks who make couture out of turnips and coke cans

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

YggiDee posted:

Good point. I have the same problem with Amber. In my head Frey treats her like a little sister, not a date.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

YggiDee posted:

that too, same with amber lol

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

speaking of lunatics, :3: at the max cameo in the hotel

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Marrying Bado would should go something like this -

"Got any moneymaking schemes you'd like to share?"

;-* "Marry into the money you blasted fool!"

And I'm positive I've hit on Porcoline more than any of the bachelorettes, possibly all of them combined. Hit on him so hard he broke character once.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Where the gently caress can I find Bronze in RF4, by the way? I hit all the rocks and I've gotten a piece of bronze once. I'd like to upgrade my tools and get a better weapon than the Claymore.

Edit: Wait am I playing this game too fast? I haven't even finished my first month.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 31, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mine more, if you're hitting the brown speckled ore rocks and getting junk then your Mining skill is too low.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
You are probably just not far enough in the game yet, though. Bronze rocks don't start showing up until after the second dungeon. That one bronze you got was probably from a treasure chest or something; the game pretty consistently gives you a single ore of the next step up before you can get more so don't feel obligated to hold onto it for a long time.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yeah, I just finished the second dungeon and got Dylas. I'll just wait then.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I preferred Forte for the bachelorettes. Still haven't married because she keeps refusing engagement.

Also Nancy and Jones are adorable. :kimchi:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sage Grimm posted:

I preferred Forte for the bachelorettes. Still haven't married because she keeps refusing engagement.

Also Nancy and Jones are adorable. :kimchi:

You have to clear all of her events or else you can't marry a bachelor/ette. Forte is basically Saber with long hair.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

And I'm positive I've hit on Porcoline more than any of the bachelorettes, possibly all of them combined. Hit on him so hard he broke character once.

"look um, you know i like to joke around a lot, right? i think you might have gotten the wrong idea..."

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Corridor posted:

...wtf i just realised i can give hats to villagers and make them wear them around town... why did no one tell me WHY AM I JUST REALISING THIS NOW

Half of my RF4 playthrough was giving silly hats to Vishnal and then throwing birds at him.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Achernar posted:

Half of my RF4 playthrough was giving silly hats to Vishnal and then throwing birds at him.

...u can pick those birds up?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Corridor posted:

...u can pick those birds up?

If you walk slowly towards them and press A when there's a cursor over their heads, then you pick them up.

The best part is throwing them at NPCs and seeing their health drastically decrease :allears:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Achernar posted:

do not throw birds at my husband.

..I didn't even realize you could pick those birds up, thanks for the protip

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Apparently I'm hitting people with birds for almost 6,000 damage. Do they scale with stats or something? This is amazing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The best part is that the mechanic isn't entirely new - I remember there was something similar in RF3 where you could pick up the birds, but I don't think it was possible for you to damage things with them in that game...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Starting RF4 for the first time. Anything permanently missable I should know about? I guess I'll also accept general advice, but really I just want to be sure I'm not missing something forever.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Starting RF4 for the first time. Anything permanently missable I should know about? I guess I'll also accept general advice, but really I just want to be sure I'm not missing something forever.

Don't sell spells/rune abilities. You can buy 'em back later, but it's a pain.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Go crazy. Nothing is really missable. At worst things can be a pain to regain if you sell them like abilities, but otherwise you're good to go. Also there's an optional dungeon that the game never hints at you how to reach other than you randomly stumbling on it which is the source of dungeon seeds, which in turn get you sword and shield seeds. In Secerezo Hill there's a screen with mushrooms covering the path. On the first 5 days of each season, those mushrooms are gone so you can go there. After that, you can access that dungeon from your airship anytime you want. There's a lot of hidden mechanics and paths, so feel free to experiment and explore (or look stuff up online if you really must know why you're fusing those coke cans into your sword).

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you see blue treasure chests out in the field, open them as soon as you can. They contain rare equipment and are randomized, and if you accidentally leave the screen the chests disappear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
All this RF4 talk makes me wanna play it again. I played through as a girl before, maybe I'll do a dude playthrough and see the actually decently done (by HM standards at least) spouse options. Doug was the only dude that didn't make me just constantly roll my eyes.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All this RF4 talk makes me wanna play it again. I played through as a girl before, maybe I'll do a dude playthrough and see the actually decently done (by HM standards at least) spouse options. Doug was the only dude that didn't make me just constantly roll my eyes.

man gently caress doug he spent half the story either moping or unconscious so when i got the 'raise friendship levels to x' quests he was the only one lagging

Allarion posted:

Go crazy. Nothing is really missable. At worst things can be a pain to regain if you sell them like abilities, but otherwise you're good to go. Also there's an optional dungeon that the game never hints at you how to reach other than you randomly stumbling on it which is the source of dungeon seeds, which in turn get you sword and shield seeds. In Secerezo Hill there's a screen with mushrooms covering the path. On the first 5 days of each season, those mushrooms are gone so you can go there. After that, you can access that dungeon from your airship anytime you want. There's a lot of hidden mechanics and paths, so feel free to experiment and explore (or look stuff up online if you really must know why you're fusing those coke cans into your sword).

what the fffff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Corridor posted:

man gently caress doug he spent half the story either moping or unconscious so when i got the 'raise friendship levels to x' quests he was the only one lagging

what the fffff

Oh yea I'm not saying Doug doesn't suck balls in his own ways, it's just at the very least he did change from his initial anime trope, which is better than everyone except anime butler husbando had going for them so basically they're the only two acceptable dudes to go after. I ain't waiting my time with Inyuasha, lovely Horse, and Actual Child You loving Pedophile.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh yea I'm not saying Doug doesn't suck balls in his own ways, it's just at the very least he did change from his initial anime trope, which is better than everyone except anime butler husbando had going for them so basically they're the only two acceptable dudes to go after. I ain't waiting my time with Inyuasha, lovely Horse, and Actual Child You loving Pedophile.

im tempted to date the prince, not because he's good, but so that my child will be royalty

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Allarion posted:

Eventually I figure I'll break and look at a FAQ, but if nothing's missable I won't sweat it, thanks! So far this game is way less anime than I had expected, in a good way. And the characters are all tolerable! But I'm literally three days in.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eventually I figure I'll break and look at a FAQ, but if nothing's missable I won't sweat it, thanks! So far this game is way less anime than I had expected, in a good way. And the characters are all tolerable! But I'm literally three days in.

Oh, right, thing you really need to know: you can hold A to pick up multiple items at once. Say you plant a line of crops - just pick up the first one, hold A, and you'll automagically pick up the rest as you run into them. It's incredibly handy.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Once you unlock the crafting and stuff, temper a magnifying glass onto one of your farm tools.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, this mechanic of adding properties to similiar items is something the game never explained if I recall? I randomly got Rocket boots from a blue chest but they had terrrible stats so I put them on ghost boots, who also have a movement bonus and it stacked. :getin:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can someone explain Rune Factory to me?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
In what context?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Can someone explain Rune Factory to me?

harvest moon while fighting monsters and dating lunatics

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's a Harvest Moon light but you also explore dungeons, beat up monsters and build weapons and armor. Also if its RF 3 or 4 you can carry things in stacks of up to 9 on your head and throw them at people and you level up in everything, including sleeping, eating, bathing etc.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's Harvest Moon with swords.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Oh, right, thing you really need to know: you can hold A to pick up multiple items at once. Say you plant a line of crops - just pick up the first one, hold A, and you'll automagically pick up the rest as you run into them. It's incredibly handy.
...yes. This is a thing I really needed to know. Seriously, thanks. That's actually awesome.

(I did find out I could walk over my crops. Can't tell this is my first RF and I haven't played a HM game in years, can you?)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...yes. This is a thing I really needed to know. Seriously, thanks. That's actually awesome.

(I did find out I could walk over my crops. Can't tell this is my first RF and I haven't played a HM game in years, can you?)

Yeah, the RF games are really really good about making things convenient for the player compared to the main HM games. Since the farming isn't as integral to the game, it's a lot easier for them to make it much more streamlined and to make it take less time so that you can focus on more important things and have time to go dungeon-delving.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I always switch the music in RF4 to RF3 so I can have this track playing when I'm in other peoples houses. It's my favorite RF3 track for sure.

Also don't use the Tides of Destiny music, its terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hmm, thanks guys. I was mostly curious because Harvest Moon, as I remember it (from the GBC, maybe?) was all about farming, but the subtitle for RF was "A fantasy Harvest moon" and that threw me for a loop. My friend has been telling everyone in our circle to buy Story of Seasons so we could play together, so I figured why not?

Anyway, thanks for the tips. However, I have one more question. For someone who has a very limited exposure to the Harvest moon series, which should I play to fall into the series? Should I just play the most recent or work my way up? I have the N64 version and can borrow the (what I'm guessing is) the GBC version from a friend. Everything else can be acquired normally.

• Locked thread