Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

That is the thing about Lawful stuff. It's not necessarily about following the law, it's about following a code. I played a LG fighter that was completely broken following him losing everything. However he followed his own code of justice and was played as being a fundamentally decent person that understood wrong and right but just was way left of center.
It's just like with Chaotic Neutral, the D&D manuals just made the mistake of saying that it was the alignment of lunatics. A CN character is someone that really just does what they want without actively being malicous or heroic about it. But nerds see "A chaotic neutral character follows his whims" and they become "LOLMONKEYCHEESERANDOM"
It's kinda funny that CN gets played like that since the alignment guide even says that they are unpredictable but not totally random. Another character that I played for a while was a noblewoman who was guided completely by ego and was utterly selfish, she ended up saving a town because she talked them into making a grand statue for her when she returned.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-1-7149346

Todd's Best 2014 Songs Part 1 is up.

DStecks posted:

TODD: Katy Perry hasn't ever sung a song about her boobs

KATY PERRY, IN HER LATEST RADIO HIT: Let me get you in your birthday suit / It's time to get out the big balloons

Also he jokes about exactly this. Could be a coincidence, but... I wonder. :tinfoil:

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 31, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BreakAtmo posted:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-1-7149346

Also he jokes about exactly this. Could be a coincidence, but... I wonder. :tinfoil:

Todd did say he read the old thread and was thinking about registering before it got gassed or locked, I forgot which.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Wait, Penny Arcade are on the GG side? I know they've done some dumb poo poo (dickwolves; transphobic comments), but I really didn't expect that of all things. Especially given how obsessively anti-bullying Mike Krahulik is.

There's a lot of people on that picture who aren't really on any side. Jontron for instance has said he's no gger, and i'm pretty sure 'twitter' isnt a part of them either

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
To be quite honest I'm going to miss deciphering Cyron's posts. I think he said it's because his fingers were too fat for phone posting? It was kind of my favorite part of this thread. :(

Sucks that Angry Joe softened his stance on GG. Those people are trash.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BobbyK posted:

To be quite honest I'm going to miss deciphering Cyron's posts. I think he said it's because his fingers were too fat for phone posting? It was kind of my favorite part of this thread. :(

At one point he said he had a learning disability.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Spinning Robo posted:

There's a lot of people on that picture who aren't really on any side. Jontron for instance has said he's no gger, and i'm pretty sure 'twitter' isnt a part of them either

Also, Joakim Mogren is shown as a pro-GGer. He is a fictional person, that doesn't exist, that was made up by Hideo Kojima to viral market MGSV, and was done away with a year and change before GG was even a thing.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DStecks posted:

Not nearly as funny, gonna stick with fat fingers in my mind.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spinning Robo posted:

Jontron is an odd one as he has said some pretty dumb things that could definitely paint him as pro-GG, but he's definitely made efforts to not be sexist.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

Quick note to expand on this because I've seen it far too often. Obeying the local tribe's stone tablets of correct behaviour doesn't make you lawful - it's adherence to your own personal code.

I was in one infuriating group playing as a Paladin and I had a DM who flat out told me that my Paladin couldn't break into the bad guys house to smash his magic gem of fuckin' the city up because breaking and entering is against the law. Nope, my guy had to sit in the inn, BA Baraccus style, while the other players concocted a story on how they were going to go about that mission without letting on to me that they were doing crimes - because obviously the useless paladin would smite them all righteously the moment they did anything naughty.

Drow society (yeah, bringin' up Drow. Peak D&D nerdiness ahead) is ridiculously regimented with castes, houses, overly specific laws dealing with
overly specific violations, you must do X on a Sunday and you must do Y at Lolth's temple when your brother gets his (much deserved, stupid boy) beating and so on.

But Drow are chaotic. They play along with the rules and will adhere to them so long as they're being watched - even enforcing them so long as it benefits them. but you can be pretty drat sure every single one of them is planning how to murder the woman in the position above them so they can get a step up. Yes the Matriarch is all powerful and must be obeyed and here you go my lady, try this special wine I've made just for you. See - own personal credo - not the society, town, settlement or yurt you happen to be in at the time.

Alignments are dumb and no one does them right. But I like them. Alignment chat is like the gamergate of D&D. There. I said it. :can:

I think things like this are due to people not thinking through a situation at all. Every society has exceptions and contradictions written into their laws. For instance it is totally illegal to kill someone, unless [surprisingly long list of exceptions that make killing someone lawful]. In the case of breaking and entering, almost everywhere has exceptions for when not doing so would result in harm to others. Following the letter of the law can allow you to be anything from a pillar of the community to the hated and ostracized rear end in a top hat down the road. The Phelps clan operate 100% within the law after all.

And that's just secular law, without even taking into account common law's tacit approval for unlawful acts that comply with the extra-legal approval of the jury system. Religious laws are even more forgiving of doing horrendous poo poo "for the right reason". Thou Shalt not kill, except for those heathens over there, wipe those fucks off the face of the earth. A lawyer or a priest is going to be able to justify a whole hell of a lot of poo poo, saintly to demonic, with laws.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BreakAtmo posted:

I was going to post this, cause I was looking forward to it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

no that was right, the fat fingers is a joke from the simpsons.

I be happy to talk to someone on skype just to prove i am not lordkat or jimmy carter. I feel unrest that folks think i am lordkat, i am an rear end in a top hat but that not mush of an rear end in a top hat.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 31, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Alignment ought to be taken into consideration when creating your character. Back when I still had a Pathfinder group, I created and played a cleric who was an acolyte to the goddess of piracy. My DM suggested I go the escaped slave route, so my cleric's backstory was that he was a slave who made an appeal to the gods in desperation and made a pact with his goddess in exchange for the strength and power to lead a successful revolt. He was then taken in on a pirate ship and became their doctor. Chaotic Good was the obvious way to go and I made sure to adhere to it. In that module, there was a brothel and a madam who we needed to question. In character, I said straight out that everybody else should do the talking, lest I get into the madam's face about exploiting her girls since exploitation was a trigger for me to turn beligerent. We never made it to the next session which was a pity since I was planning in-game to lead the girls into a revolt. Some alignments work better than others for rp'ing, obviously. My personal take on Lawful Good is that if the two identities come into conflict for a character, the good should win.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I love Todd's love/hate relationship with Katy Perry.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mraagvpeine posted:

I love Todd's love/hate relationship with Katy Perry.

I love it too. He want to hate her music so much, but her music can be hypnotic and just catchy, which is a key for a pop song at times. i can see why he also hated roar for being bland.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

Wait, Penny Arcade are on the GG side? I know they've done some dumb poo poo (dickwolves; transphobic comments), but I really didn't expect that of all things. Especially given how obsessively anti-bullying Mike Krahulik is.

Looking at that list i see some more goofy things, like dean ambross from the WWE as pro GG, maybe his titty master meme is seen as sexist, it be like making al bundy and Tim "the toolman" tayor gamergaters.

EDIT:sorry for the double posting.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jsor posted:

If there's one thing I've noticed about slapfights like this, it's that it's really easy for both sides to believe "we are The Good Guys who are noble underdogs, while the other side are the Bullies." And of course just a hefty dose of denial with "Well, there ARE extremists, but No True Scotsman blah blah blah." People tend to forget that someone can be on the "right" side of an issue and still be a bully.

(I don't know or really care where the PA guys stand WRT the whole thing.)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mike has written quite a bunch of stuff on how MRA / PUA poo poo helped him become a better person and if you swing the words "Free Speech" in front of his eyes he says stupid poo poo like "Target not having GTA 5 is akin to book burning". Also he isn't "anti-bullying" as much as he has a dork persecution complex.

If he's not GG, he's got quite an explanation to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

I be happy to talk to someone on skype just to prove i am not lordkat or jimmy carter. I feel unrest that folks think i am lordkat, i am an rear end in a top hat but that not mush of an rear end in a top hat.

Hold on, what's that about Jimmy Carter?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Metal Loaf posted:

Hold on, what's that about Jimmy Carter?

He is history's greatest monster.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Cyron posted:

He is history's greatest monster.

Go on...

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

His peanuts are killing folks all other the world with peanut allergies which is given to by vaccines by the Illuminuti.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 31, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's a Simpsons reference.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an impression of Carter as a man who might have been a better senator than a governor. In any case, I've read more than one account suggesting that 1976 was a poisoned chalice whoever won it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimmy Carter was a good man who tried his best. He tried to get America to grow up and in return they summoned Reagan and he began the end times.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The general malaise speech was really spot on, it's no wonder the public resented him for it.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0 - Carter did nothing wrong

VVV I wonder what the backlash was when he did the whole "the feminists aren't trying to take your hentai away you idiots" video last year? Could be that he just doesn't want to make himself a target. :shrug: VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kunster posted:

Mike has written quite a bunch of stuff on how MRA / PUA poo poo helped him become a better person and if you swing the words "Free Speech" in front of his eyes he says stupid poo poo like "Target not having GTA 5 is akin to book burning". Also he isn't "anti-bullying" as much as he has a dork persecution complex.

If he's not GG, he's got quite an explanation to do.

Yeah, I haven't heard of them being GG, but it'd make sense given their not so great behavior in the past.

Hopefully the stuff with Joe and BTP get worked out, but wow, I'm really disapointed with his middle ground approach. He should have been yelling hellfire at Gamergate, not giving them more fake "the other side is just as bad too!" ammo. Did he even go into any details of supposidly bad things done by Anti GG? Is he even aware of the horrible things pro-GG has done or does he think it's all just internet arguing?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I like Joe's gaming controversy video last year, but hearing this poo poo about his video this year is disappointing. It's not helping that he's apparently throwing a fit at BroTeamPill for the copyright claim. I mean I'd be loving pissed if I got lumped with gamergaters too, and according to the BroTeam guy he tried to handle it in a more amicable way and got ignored.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, I haven't heard of them being GG, but it'd make sense given their not so great behavior in the past.

Hopefully the stuff with Joe and BTP get worked out, but wow, I'm really disapointed with his middle ground approach. He should have been yelling hellfire at Gamergate, not giving them more fake "the other side is just as bad too!" ammo. Did he even go into any details of supposidly bad things done by Anti GG? Is he even aware of the horrible things pro-GG has done or does he think it's all just internet arguing?

In the video he did hit more hard on gamergate overall, said they done very little little to do "good" on the movment and flat out mocked the "it about gaming ethics" meme by saying it rooted in sexist drama.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cubey posted:

I like Joe's gaming controversy video last year, but hearing this poo poo about his video this year is disappointing. It's not helping that he's apparently throwing a fit at BroTeamPill for the copyright claim. I mean I'd be loving pissed if I got lumped with gamergaters too, and according to the BroTeam guy he tried to handle it in a more amicable way and got ignored.

He wasn't targeting them, he posted a meme photo that have random photos as pro and anti GG. it good you want joe to be taken off the internet for not being anti gamergate. posting a DRMA fora disagreement is bullshit.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 31, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubey posted:

Wait, so they asked him and Joe refuse to take it out or something before they filed the copyright claim?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cyron posted:

He wasn't targeting them, he posted a meme photo that have random photos as pro and anti GG. it good you want joe to be taken off the internet for not being anti gamergate. posting a DRMA fora disagreement is bullshit.

Good loving god you are an idiot. Please gently caress off, you said you were done with this thread so I really wish you'd actually keep to your word.

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so they asked him and Joe refuse to take it out or something before they filed the copyright claim?

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561410424240111616

Also

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561573537195229184

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cubey posted:

Good loving god you are an idiot. Please gently caress off, you said you were done with this thread so I really wish you'd actually keep to your word.

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561410424240111616

Also

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561573537195229184

gently caress off to tumbler.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Missed a letter there...

But seriously, you said you'd back off from this thread and you can't even do that when it's clear you need to.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Compendium posted:

Missed a letter there...

But seriously, you said you'd back off from this thread and you can't even do that when it's clear you need to.

this thread want joe off the air for not being anti gamergate. this thread proves his point.

and i am not leaving untill this thread is gassed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cyron posted:

your a dumb gently caress and this thread is shity liberal cunfest.
Oh no not those drat Liberals, wanting people to be treated with respect and equality, whatever shall the white male do?!

Edit: to have content.
Are Todd's video's longer than last years or is he splitting up his top 10 list this year because of add revenue?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Zedd posted:

Oh no not those drat Liberals, wanting people to be treated with respect and equality, whatever shall the white male do?!

so this thread being happy joe video was taken down is good? is that respect and equality?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

Are Todd's video's longer than last years or is he splitting up his top 10 list this year because of add revenue?

I think the worst list was longer than normal, at least.

Cyron posted:

so this thread being happy joe video was taken down is good? is that respect and equality?

NOBODY EVER SAID THIS

Jesus loving Christ, stop putting words into people's mouths, if that's what you need to do to try and prove a point it means you have lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Benny the Snake posted:

Alignment ought to be taken into consideration when creating your character. Back when I still had a Pathfinder group, I created and played a cleric who was an acolyte to the goddess of piracy. My DM suggested I go the escaped slave route, so my cleric's backstory was that he was a slave who made an appeal to the gods in desperation and made a pact with his goddess in exchange for the strength and power to lead a successful revolt. He was then taken in on a pirate ship and became their doctor. Chaotic Good was the obvious way to go and I made sure to adhere to it. In that module, there was a brothel and a madam who we needed to question. In character, I said straight out that everybody else should do the talking, lest I get into the madam's face about exploiting her girls since exploitation was a trigger for me to turn beligerent. We never made it to the next session which was a pity since I was planning in-game to lead the girls into a revolt. Some alignments work better than others for rp'ing, obviously. My personal take on Lawful Good is that if the two identities come into conflict for a character, the good should win.

I think my issue with Lawful stems from when I played Neverwinter Nights. Bioware scarred me for life. I got enough alignment points away from Lawful to go straight to Neutral by doing something stupid like "disagreeing with a corrupt lord's authority to banish someone for trying to save the town" or something. It just made me hate the whole system. It really isn't a blanket condemnation of the idea, but it's usually implemented poorly.

• Locked thread