Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Momomo posted:

He also apparently had Jolyne spoil an American movie before it even came to Japan.

I'm trying to figure out when the Jail House Lock chapters got published, because there were only three months between the American and Japanese releases of the Sixth Sense. Plenty of time for him to do it in with a weekly schedule, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Florida Woman Is Attacked By Miami Dolphins

Might as well start up a Cape Canaveral/Green Dolphin Street Prison Police Blotter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moltrey posted:

Might as well start up a Cape Canaveral/Green Dolphin Street Prison Police Blotter.

I'm actually thinking of making it a Twitter account.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cabinet posted:

Big bad Pucci is killed by a kid with barely any page time.

That part owned though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cabinet posted:

Big bad Pucci is killed by a kid with barely any page time.

This is pretty dumb, Emporio is pretty constant throughout the story and shows up really early.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Effectronica posted:

loving Diavolo has more realistic motivations than Pucci.

Pucci is actually really easy to understand. He's a guy who did a really bad thing that turned out really awful for everyone involved and he nearly does the right thing and blames himself but in the end he refuses to take responsibility and instead heavily invests everything he has into a belief system where nothing anyone does matters and where nobody is truly responsible for anything because an absolute fate rules everything in an inscrutable plan. This way it's not really his fault that everything about his family is so hosed up, it was just [gravity].

So in the end his idea of Heaven is a world where everyone is aware of what they are going to do before they do it and powerless to do anything else because in the really twisted headspace he's ended up in, this is the ideal world where everyone is free. Only he can act because he takes up the role of God, the one who can now decide fate rather than just be its plaything.

Stone ocean is about prisons you see.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZeroCount posted:

Pucci is actually really easy to understand. He's a guy who did a really bad thing that turned out really awful for everyone involved and he nearly does the right thing and blames himself but in the end he refuses to take responsibility and instead heavily invests everything he has into a belief system where nothing anyone does matters and where nobody is truly responsible for anything because an absolute fate rules everything in an inscrutable plan. This way it's not really his fault that everything about his family is so hosed up, it was just [gravity].

So in the end his idea of Heaven is a world where everyone is aware of what they are going to do before they do it and powerless to do anything else because in the really twisted headspace he's ended up in, this is the ideal world where everyone is free. Only he can act because he takes up the role of God, the one who can now decide fate rather than just be its plaything.

Stone ocean is about prisons you see.

Kewl. Diavolo just wants to make bank and stay on top.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Can someone explain what Diavolo's backstory actually is, because the only reference I have is the manga itself, and we all know what that's like.

Also was Doppio supposed to be the original, or was Diavolo?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Momomo posted:

Can someone explain what Diavolo's backstory actually is, because the only reference I have is the manga itself, and we all know what that's like.

Diavolo is the original personality, and Doppio is his creation. It's not outright stated, but you can see it in the body language.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Being ambiguously half-black aside (or maybe he's Sicilian?), why would members of the Klan do business with a Catholic priest decked out in his cassock?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Being ambiguously half-black aside (or maybe he's Sicilian?), why would members of the Klan do business with a Catholic priest decked out in his cassock?

Because Gravity.

Every strange thing about Pucci's backstory, plan and motivations can be explained by Gravity as it is defined by a shirtless vampire.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If DIO's Theory of Special Relativity is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Diavolo was born in a prison and when he was sent to live in his mom's hometown he was slow and dull-witted. He killed his mom and buried her, set his house on fire, killed the priest raising him, and created Passione. That's pretty much it. Also Diavolo is the actual personality, Doppio is as his name suggests, a Double.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Diavolo was born in a prison and when he was sent to live in his mom's hometown he was slow and dull-witted. He killed his mom and buried her, set his house on fire, killed the priest raising him, and created Passione. That's pretty much it. Also Diavolo is the actual personality, Doppio is as his name suggests, a Double.

Or rather, some kinda weird latent soul living inside Diavolo that he wills to come out by putting a shirt on

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Annasui becoming a dude is by far the most overblown plotshit in JoJo.
She never said anything, never did anything and was just scenery.

Change her after a couple issues of her doing stuff? Yeah, sure.
Changing the spelling of Johnny Joestar is more significant than that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one's even saying it was some major change, it's just worth noting as Araki doing whatever he wants and being a free spirit when it comes to his stuff, which is fine.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Diavolo has Doppio because he's a schizoid man, who lives in the 21st century.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

No one's even saying it was some major change, it's just worth noting as Araki doing whatever he wants and being a free spirit when it comes to his stuff, which is fine.

I see other people acting like it was the end of the world though, which utterly confuses me. I mean, that's not an hard thing to do, but some people really, really, really aren't happy about it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Beef Waifu posted:

Diavolo's backstory makes less sense than Pucci to me. I don't understand his motivation for being evil or killing his mom or erasing his confusing rear end past. :psyduck:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's doesn't make sense because we're given very little detail on who he was as a person when he was younger or why he did anything. Diavolo's backstory is very minimalistic to go with his character of wanting to keep himself hidden from the world and no one to know about his very existence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he just wants to be on top and also not be in the spotlight. about sums it up. kinda like a weird combo of dio and kira, but less fleshed out which is unfortunate.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Beef Waifu posted:

Other than the part about killing his mother himself (how did he even get to her..?) that's more or less what I thought. His backstory is dumb, but I do like Diavolo as a villain. He's just a very angry strong guy that wants to erase his past.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
diavolo is just a big reference to keyzer soze

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

But the prison had no male guards and she gave birth after being in there for like over a year, right?

I always thought Diavolo's backstory was supposed to be kind of incomprehensible to add to his mystery as a Mafia leader nobody has seen and wants to erase anything that could prove his existence.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cabinet posted:

I still feel as if all the deaths in Stone Ocean were handled horribly bad. Two Joestars die within pages and with next to no fanfare and barely for anything. Hermes and Anausi's deaths are barely shown. Big bad Pucci is killed by a kid with barely any page time.

Everryone who dies in the ending is back and reunited within like 50 pages, without DIO's hosed up legacy around anymore so they can just pal around forever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

Everryone who dies in the ending is back and reunited within like 50 pages, without DIO's hosed up legacy around anymore so they can just pal around forever.

IMO it's a bittersweet ending because yeah here are a bunch of people who are totally similar but that doesn't mean they're really the same at all. It's like what FF said about how even if she was brought back, it wouldn't really be her. It'd be a different FF with different life experiences and a different person.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's definitely not just a flat out happy ending, but at least [GRAVITY] gives them all a second shot with each other.

RIP FF :smith:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
RIP Etro, no one gave a gently caress that FF stole someone's body.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have to admit, I really like Pucci as a villain. I think he pulls off the demented villain who believes he's doing good very well. He's clearly arrogant as gently caress, believes he has to take the role of god, and he's lording it over everyone constantly - but, well, he's so far gone, he never considers what he does wrong. I really liked that little scene where he plays music on a minion's violently distorted body (how's that for "out of context") - it's like distilled Pucci. As weird as this may sound, but I think it fits the character that he has to struggle really hard to win at points, and at other points wins out due to luck. It's just something that could happen, and it makes Pucci appear even more deluded when he buys into his own "GRAVITY GRAVITY THE JOESTARS ARE MY GREATEST ALLY" narrative.
Also, his basic CD extraction power is incredibly cool and used in a number of creative ways: giving commands by throwing discs, selectively removing his own ability to see, commanding someone to be his seeing dog... I like how it shapes the plot everywhere, but it's not exactly overpowered. Jolyne was steadily caving his face in, and Weather Report might've won.

...now to the bad parts.

I dislike how DIO's plan makes zero sense. Selectively destroy my Stand, sacrifice an exact number of people, recite completely random words to the resulting creature, merge with it, expose yourself to a specific gravity, results in hyper-sped up time which makes everyone clairvoyant... Uuuuuuh, how does any of that work? How did DIO figure any of this out? It just seems like retroactively making the weird poo poo going down in the prison part of a huge gambit. It would've been nice to have hints about DIO's plan before that, and what it would result in. Like, DIO discovered how to strengthen Stands with human sacrifices, but the Stand becomes an independent creature in the process; you have to recite things it's familiar with to make it join you; and ultimately, this will result in a time power so strong, it warps time and gravity until you rule fate itself. As it is, it seems like Pucci triggers DIO's plan, but absolutely noone knows exactly what is triggered, and random poo poo happens. The Pucci fights are all cool, but I disliked how there barely seemed to be any connection to preceeding events - at best, a loose thematic connection.
Also, his illusion power made no goddamn sense. Whitesnake's introduction is horrible with that fake battle against Manhattan Transfer (which also makes the Manhattan Transfer dude appear super-lame), and that power effectively vanishes afterwards. Just... just make illusions a subset of the commanding CD power. Like, Pucci throws a CD at your head and you experience illusions, as if he's extracting his own thoughts into CDs. Not to mention that the two other occurrences where he uses illusions, F.F.'s death and Weather Report's death, are nothing like the initial "digestive fluids" thing. I feel like Stone Ocean has a very weak introduction to its big bad in general.

The ending is awesome, however! I really like how it's Emporio who manages to take down an extremely overpowered Stand - and it's not random bullshit like Part 5, it's actually smart. Of course, the exact mechanics of the universe reset are a little iffy, but they don't really seem to matter in the grand scheme of things. You get Emporio running away from Pucci, who's still hosed up from Jolyne and more deluded than ever, and then he inadvertently changes fate to one where he gets poisoned and violently squished by his dead brother's Stand. Lame introduction aside, that ending is really what makes Pucci a great villain. You want to see that frustratingly lucky rear end in a top hat taken down, and then it happens in the most unexpected way.

I like Stone Ocean.

Torquemadras fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Google translate tweets from composer Yugo Kanno

https://twitter.com/yugokanno/status/561240318805168128

quote:

Jojo is composing music to each character.
So is the new song may come out one story each.
It is tough but really fun job.
Many songs today for the last recording, so very strong enemies.
Of course part 3 Kimo is the Dio. You can represent the strength in music where ever.

Here he is composing Dio's theme, apparently.

https://twitter.com/yugokanno/status/561413534093815810

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pomp posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not just a flat out happy ending, but at least [GRAVITY] gives them all a second shot with each other.

RIP FF :smith:
I like to think that Irene's dad has a colony of plankton named Fall Fighters or something similar.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Effectronica posted:

Kewl. Diavolo just wants to make bank and stay on top.

What little we see of Diavolo kinda makes him out to be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Cobra Commander wants to make bank and stay on top too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Diavolo is okay - he's on top and he knows people are always out to get him, so he thinks the best way to stay safe is to make sure no one knows who he actually is. That means killing anyone who might know his actual identity.

Pucci is okay because if I ever decided to do JoJo's cosplay (I won't ever cosplay), there's someone that I as a darker skinned person can conceivably look like.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

What little we see of Diavolo kinda makes him out to be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Cobra Commander wants to make bank and stay on top too.

Yes. That's a much more human and realistic motivation than following an inane interpretation of a crazy vampire's diary to conjure up a time loop and allow people to peacefully accept suffering.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's doesn't make sense because we're given very little detail on who he was as a person when he was younger or why he did anything. Diavolo's backstory is very minimalistic to go with his character of wanting to keep himself hidden from the world and no one to know about his very existence.

It's also quite possible that most of it is lies to prevent people from investigating further into his background. There's also some Jesus references that may or may not be intentional.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Yes. That's a much more human and realistic motivation than following an inane interpretation of a crazy vampire's diary to conjure up a time loop and allow people to peacefully accept suffering.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, human and realistic.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Darko posted:

Diavolo is okay - he's on top and he knows people are always out to get him, so he thinks the best way to stay safe is to make sure no one knows who he actually is. That means killing anyone who might know his actual identity.

Pucci is okay because if I ever decided to do JoJo's cosplay (I won't ever cosplay), there's someone that I as a darker skinned person can conceivably look like.

If you ever do decide to cosplay Pucci, good luck with the hair.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diavolo's backstory intentionally is full of holes and makes no sense, because there's no one who can reliably tell us. Whether or not you think that's totally stupid is up to you.

He wants to destroy any knowledge of his past and Trish is one loose thread. He wants her dead, Bruno and the Gangstars like her enough to not want her dead and there's a conflict and it makes sense. Araki just throws Doppio and an unconventional Stand in there to make him even more confusing.

I can't speak to Pucci and whatever the gently caress he wants to do, but reading all your posts is baffling enough.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 31, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

If you ever do decide to cosplay Pucci, good luck with the hair.

I'm bald, so, lots of paint!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Waffleman_ posted:

Florida Woman Is Attacked By Miami Dolphins

Flordia baby suddenly fully grown half ways. Doctors without explanations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

Diavolo's backstory intentionally is full of holes and makes no sense, because there's no one who can reliably tell us. Whether or not you think that's totally stupid is up to you.

So, basically he made sure his backstory was stupid and confusing on purpose?

I can actually appreciate that. It makes a lot more sense and fits Diavolo's plan pretty well.

I just wonder who slept with him to have Trish.

• Locked thread