Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moltrey posted:

Still in the beginning of Part 6 and I swear I was stupid when I first started Stone Ocean because I didn't quite grasp how Hermes's Kiss works. Now I get it and it's super rad.

F.F. is still cool.

That's all I got on Part 6 so far.

Yeah it took me a few uses (and honestly having it explicitly stated) that the re-merging of the duplicated whatever would damage the original object. Before that I was like "Hey, infinite self-clone army!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Pucci isn't black, he's just drawn that way.

Um, yeah, he and Weather are both half black. That was kind of the entire reason the KKK hanged Weather.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Momomo posted:

Um, yeah, he and Weather are both half black. That was kind of the entire reason the KKK hanged Weather.

yeah i'm pretty sure it mentions that one of their parents was black or something

also, pucci kinda sucks in comparison to other villains because he has some pretty big competition in the form of kira, among others

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I actually really liked Pucci as a villain because at his core, he thought he was doing the right thing. He actually had a somewhat sympathetic backstory, which surprised the hell out of me (especially in a manga like Jojo) and it made him an even more effective shithead. The fact that he essentially won doesn't really bother me that much, Stone Ocean's ending is just very odd.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pucci's backstory is like some of the dumbest loving writing in a manga that literally changed a character's gender out of nowhere. The fact there is someone who says Pucci is sympathetic when he is responsible for everything that happened is remarkable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kira is the best villain because he's not out to take over the world, he's not trying to rewrite reality, he's not running drugs around Italy. He's just a dude who wants to be left alone and cut ladies' hands off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the reasons arc 6 were cool didn't have much to do with pucci, to be honest

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pucci is great because he's a huge idiot who hosed up his own life to a tremendous extent by being an idiot except he doesn't even really feel that bad about it because a Vampire told him about gravity this one time.

He's also the worst because his whole story is "gravity" and how no matter what happens fate always makes his incomprehensible plans succeed even though they make no goddamn sense and always end in unsatisfying, bullshit ways.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 6 is cool because there's a girl made of plankton, a dude who can make it rain frogs and Jolyne does some incredibly crazy poo poo with string. I really have no interest in Pucci. He's not as fun to watch as Part 1 Dio or Kira and doesn't have as cool hair as Diavolo.

The introduction to Whitesnake is also weird and kinda put me off, but maybe that was just me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kira is the best villain because he's not out to take over the world, he's not trying to rewrite reality, he's not running drugs around Italy. He's just a dude who wants to be left alone and cut ladies' hands off.

I appreciate Kira for being a dude who just wants to chill and take women's hands. Simple goals.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 31, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the reasons arc 6 were cool didn't have much to do with pucci, to be honest

that time he bashed the marilyn manson stand user's head into a desk out of fuckin nowhere was pretty funny

also that time he complained about frogs getting on his $800 pants

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I appreciate Kira for being a dude who just wants to chill and take women's hands. Simple goals.

The reason I like Kira is also the main reason I like part 4 so much. It's just low-key and chill, especially after the grand globe-trotting adventure that was Stardust Crusaders. It's just a bunch of weird stuff happening in one town, that only affects that town. And while there's a serial killer to stop, that doesn't mean that we can't go out for pasta or gamble with the mangaka down the street.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The most twisted thing about Kira was that he could stick to an 11-7 sleep schedule no matter what. Dedication like that can be admired.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

The reason I like Kira is also the main reason I like part 4 so much. It's just low-key and chill, especially after the grand globe-trotting adventure that was Stardust Crusaders. It's just a bunch of weird stuff happening in one town, that only affects that town. And while there's a serial killer to stop, that doesn't mean that we can't go out for pasta or gamble with the mangaka down the street.
Yeah, it's just light and easy to read. You know that Kira is awful and needs to be stopped, but the stakes never get super high. Unlike Stardust, there's no end goal. Jotaro spends time trying to track the Stand Arrow and Rohan does some investigation into Kira, but our main three dudes are just hanging out. Weird poo poo keeps happening and they just deal with it in amazing ways. Morioh is also a really good setting after seeing several countries last Part.

Truly that town has a golden spirit.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Would Pucci be better if he was a self-righteous douchebag who hassled Jolyne just for masturbating in her cell? I don't know, but I now wish that happened.

Not sure how turning stuff inside out and time passing at ludicrous speed would fit in there, but matters have a way of escalating.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the only parts of part 6 I enjoyed involved weather report,

he should've been the MC because he has a cooler stand and a cooler haircut than all the other good guys, as well as being the only person with motivations that aren't stupid

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That's hair? I thought that was a hat. I like how his 'gets right up in your poo poo to talk to you' trait disappeared in like a chapter though.

So far I've only seen Pucci shoot illusion jizz on Jolyne and her dad and bitch about getting his pants frogged, he seems cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

the only parts of part 6 I enjoyed involved weather report,

he should've been the MC because he has a cooler stand and a cooler haircut than all the other good guys, as well as being the only person with motivations that aren't stupid

Are you talking poo poo about F.F, Hermes and Jolyne? Because if so I don't know how seriously I can take your opinions, those 3 are great. :colbert:

Edit: Also they all have way cooler stands than being able to control the weather in your immediate vicinity, and sometimes rain frogs.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 31, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are you talking poo poo about F.F, Hermes and Jolyne? Because if so I don't know how seriously I can take your opinions, those 3 are great. :colbert:
They're basically more hardcore versions of Josuke, Okuyasu and Koichi. They're pretty cool.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

No they aren't. Weather was stolen as a baby by a woman who's own son died. The KKK found out that the dead child was half-black, and thought Weather was him.
These are Pucci and Weather's real parents.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I always figured that man is not his blood father. I don't really think they would make Pucci so dark, mention Weather being tan (one of the girls at the restaurant or something says this) and have them be involved in a hate crime for being half black, if they were just full on white.

Also, I think the guy would know if the kid was dead. I thought the implication was that he pieced all that stuff together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pucci is italian. Is there a darker skin color over there that can show up in kids?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

I always figured that man is not his blood father. I don't really think they would make Pucci so dark, mention Weather being tan (one of the girls at the restaurant or something says this) and have them be involved in a hate crime for being half black, if they were just full on white.

Also, I think the guy would know if the kid was dead. I thought the implication was that he pieced all that stuff together.

Nah, you're putting too much faith into the fact-checking of a hategroup. They investigated Wes Bluemarine, and had no idea or anyway to find out that he was actually Domenico Pucci.
If they did then they would've also known the white girl he was dating was his sister.

Pucci is a dark skinned Italian, which apparently skipped a generation and his twin brother because Araki.

This backstory is just really dumb.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 31, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Florida Man takes over Cape Canaveral, claims to seek Heaven.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Moltrey posted:

They're basically more hardcore versions of Josuke, Okuyasu and Koichi. They're pretty cool.
And Annasui is a male Yukako who had a harder time learning to not be a possessive maniac. Yes, this means that Jolyne is the Koichi analogue here.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Supersonic Shine posted:

And Annasui is a male Yukako who had a harder time learning to not be a possessive maniac. Yes, this means that Jolyne is the Koichi analogue here.

So would Hermes be Josuke then? Hermes seems like she can get Josuke levels of angry,

F.F. is Okuyasu. Just being silly, drinking a Big Gulp.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Pucci is, to my mind, the most human antagonist. Valentine comes close, because they have very similar end goals and beliefs, but Pucci lacks that bit of cynical self-awareness that makes Valentine seem like he knows he's a villain. Pucci is very believable as that rear end in a top hat talking head or politician who wants to protect our freedom to do exactly what they say and nothing else. I'm starting to project a little, but the point is you can recognize Pucci in people you meet in everyday life.

I haven't sorted out what the end of Stone Ocean is supposed to signify, but I do think the final fight is very effective at fulfilling its dramatic purpose, whatever that is. I mean, I guess it's that bit Jolyne says to Emporio about predestiny not erasing hope, but then you have Pucci as basically a deuteragonist who also never gives up hope.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

HitTheTargets posted:

I haven't sorted out what the end of Stone Ocean is supposed to signify,

araki was getting tired of his editors making him force jotaro into every single part so he killed everyone off

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Pucci owns and hes the only bad guy before Valentine who is evil for purposes besides 'uh I guess I'm just naturally evil huh'. And the fights he actually shows up in are cool as hell.

"woah! This priest dug crucifix into his own fingernail to give him a few more inches of reach, this fight sucks!" -ADTRW guy

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZeroCount posted:

Pucci owns and hes the only bad guy before Valentine who is evil for purposes besides 'uh I guess I'm just naturally evil huh'. And the fights he actually shows up in are cool as hell.

"woah! This priest dug crucifix into his own fingernail to give him a few more inches of reach, this fight sucks!" -ADTRW guy

loving Diavolo has more realistic motivations than Pucci.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I still feel as if all the deaths in Stone Ocean were handled horribly bad. Two Joestars die within pages and with next to no fanfare and barely for anything. Hermes and Anausi's deaths are barely shown. Big bad Pucci is killed by a kid with barely any page time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Effectronica posted:

loving Diavolo has more realistic motivations than Pucci.
Diavolo has the benefit of looking stupid and amazing at the same time Seriously, just look at Diavolo and think "This is the man who runs the mafia."

Diavolo had a physically split personality and I still find that funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I appreciated that ASB refused to show how the transition worked and did it between panel borders.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
All of JoJo's is insanely cool and a million times better than almost everything else. If you like it then you are my friend, even if you don't like all of it.

There, I said it.

PS Stone Ocean is badass as gently caress. A man summons the memory of a football team in an attempt to defeat the good guys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm honestly tempted to reread Stone Ocean so I can rewrite it as a series of Florida Man/Florida Woman tweets.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RubberLuffy posted:

All of JoJo's is insanely cool and a million times better than almost everything else. If you like it then you are my friend, even if you don't like all of it.

There, I said it.

PS Stone Ocean is badass as gently caress. A man summons the memory of a football team in an attempt to defeat the good guys.

That guy, Versace, was one of my favorites in part 6. His backstory was the same as the protagonist for the book/movie Holes, for absolutely no reason. And the power to LITERALLY dig up the past was used in some insane and creative ways.

Like when he dug up an old version of Jotaro that had his stand disc sticking out his head so that he could steal it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Begemot posted:

That guy, Versace, was one of my favorites in part 6. His backstory was the same as the protagonist for the book/movie Holes, for absolutely no reason. And the power to LITERALLY dig up the past was used in some insane and creative ways.

Like when he dug up an old version of Jotaro that had his stand disc sticking out his head so that he could steal it.

The best part is that Araki wrote the Under World chapters before the movie came out, so he read this American's children book and liked it so much he slipped in references.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, Holes was good.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Effectronica posted:

The best part is that Araki wrote the Under World chapters before the movie came out, so he read this American's children book and liked it so much he slipped in references.

He also apparently had Jolyne spoil an American movie before it even came to Japan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm honestly tempted to reread Stone Ocean so I can rewrite it as a series of Florida Man/Florida Woman tweets.

Florida Woman Claims To Fight Invisible Zombies

Florida Woman Gives Panties To Florida Man So He Won't Kill Himself

Florida Man Inquires Into The Whereabouts Of Mickey Mouse

Florida Plankton Drinks Out Of A Big Gulp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Florida Woman Claims To Fight Invisible Zombies

Florida Woman Gives Panties To Florida Man So He Won't Kill Himself

Florida Man Inquires Into The Whereabouts Of Mickey Mouse

Florida Plankton Drinks Out Of A Big Gulp

Florida Woman Is Attacked By Miami Dolphins

• Locked thread