Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, basically he made sure his backstory was stupid and confusing on purpose?

I can actually appreciate that. It makes a lot more sense and fits Diavolo's plan pretty well.

I just wonder who slept with him to have Trish.

Yeah basically. It's up to you what you think is true from Diavolo's past. He's not telling and there's no one alive who can tell us anyway. Trish is another one of the big inconsistencies in Diavolo's past. He wants to remain secretive, but had sex with someone? It's like him being born and conceived in a female prison with no male guards. poo poo just doesn't make sense.

All we know for sure is he runs the Mafia, has a crazy fashion sense, and becomes a completely different person mentally and physically when he puts on a sweater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Moltrey posted:

Yeah basically. It's up to you what you think is true from Diavolo's past. He's not telling and there's no one alive who can tell us anyway. Trish is another one of the big inconsistencies in Diavolo's past. He wants to remain secretive, but had sex with someone? It's like him being born and conceived in a female prison with no male guards. poo poo just doesn't make sense.

All we know for sure is he runs the Mafia, has a crazy fashion sense, and becomes a completely different person mentally and physically when he puts on a sweater.

Trish predates the foundation of Passione according to the given backstory, since she's as old as Giorno, and Diavolo was only 18 when she was born.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Not to mention that the two other occurrences where he uses illusions, F.F.'s death and Weather Report's death, are nothing like the initial "digestive fluids" thing. I feel like Stone Ocean has a very weak introduction to its big bad in general.

Man, which major villain doesn't have powers that directly contradict themselves between appearances or at least make their uses seem nonsensical? Even Kira's Bite The Dust changes from only triggering when the person he primed as a bomb reveals his identity to being able to trigger it manually. Woulda saved him a lot of trouble if he just blew up Hayato manually when Josuke found him out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Effectronica posted:

Trish predates the foundation of Passione according to the given backstory, since she's as old as Giorno, and Diavolo was only 18 when she was born.

Oh oops. Okay, that makes sense. Once he started Passione, he decided to destroy his past.

I forget Diavolo is in his 30s. so beautiful...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I like to think Dio was just making poo poo up, and had no idea any of it would actually work, just to gently caress with Pucci. Makes me wonder what would've happened if he had used like, 32 dead prisoners instead or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DIO was really into getting to Heaven, but he thought he'd take 4 years off to sleep in a bed and do nothing before cracking down and starting work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aurain posted:

DIO was really into getting to Heaven, but he thought he'd take 4 years off to sleep in a bed and do nothing before cracking down and starting work.
DIO understood the power of [Four].

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of numbers, I can't help but find it somewhat amusing that Mista debuts in the arc after Part 4 given his phobia.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of numbers, I can't help but find it somewhat amusing that Mista debuts in the arc after Part 4 given his phobia.

The symbol on Rolling Stone, which I believe means like "misfortune", is written in four strokes. Mista was right all along.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rolling Stone's a huge prick and its best use was in the jojo rpgmaker game where there were dungeons it'd chase you around in.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Effectronica posted:

I'm trying to figure out when the Jail House Lock chapters got published, because there were only three months between the American and Japanese releases of the Sixth Sense. Plenty of time for him to do it in with a weekly schedule, of course.

Stone Ocean started in 2000. It is impossible for this to be true. Unless there was a 3~year delay between releases. Which is obviously not the case as stated in your post. It's one of many many things that "new" Jojo fans like to latch onto as true despite being impossible to prove or outright false.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

The symbol on Rolling Stone, which I believe means like "misfortune", is written in four strokes. Mista was right all along.

4 is an unlucky number in Japanese culture, and I hate that I know this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pomp posted:

4 is an unlucky number in Japanese culture, and I hate that I know this.

Why is that a bad thing to know

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not a particularly nerdy thing to know. Nothing a normie couldn't learn from a Wikipedia crawl.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Because it foreshadows testicular misfortune for a certain JoJo :ohdear:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really goddamned embarrassed to know things about other cultures.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure that's a really common thing to know, especially given that it's not really far off of 13 being considered unlucky and comes up in pretty much any conversation about it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
13 is an unlucky number.

1 + 3 = 4.

The villain of Parts 1 and 3 were Dio, who was beaten by Jotaro getting a lucky break with his powers and Polnareff.

The villain of Part 4 is killed by a stroke of bad luck.

Araki. :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hate to know this, but people from japan speak japanese

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

13 is an unlucky number.

1 + 3 = 4.

The villain of Parts 1 and 3 were Dio, who was beaten by Jotaro getting a lucky break with his powers and Polnareff.

The villain of Part 4 is killed by a stroke of bad luck.

Araki. :tinfoil:
You forget Kars loving himself over in Part 2, AKA Part Half of 4. If this pattern holds, the villain of Jojolion will end up getting Rube Goldberged.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Knowing "Four Is Unlucky" is a Japanese superstition is super common. Four can be pronounced as "shi" which also a pronunciation of "death". Mista is just a really superstitious guy. Consume enough Japanese media and you're bound to know all about how Four Is Death.

:goonsay:

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That reminds me of high school, some classmates were taking Japanese classes as option, and I mentioned that "neko" meant "cat" and they were like "holy poo poo how do you know that without taking lessons???"

I knew because anime

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

That reminds me of high school, some classmates were taking Japanese classes as option, and I mentioned that "neko" meant "cat" and they were like "holy poo poo how do you know that without taking lessons???"

I knew because anime

jojo taught me how to say many important Japanese phrases like "It was me!" and "Worthless!" and "Good Grief!" i am a star japanese student already.

thank you anime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know "useless" is "muda". Thanks Dio.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why is that a bad thing to know

I learned that from someone with a naruto headband and said nyah a lot in their 20s and I have never been able to wash off the vicarious shame from even knowing them.

Also, I don't watch much anime so I thought this was a much nerdier tidbit than it apparently is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Too bad you can't wash off the shame from reading my posts.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You should be best pals with that person, clearly they are cooler than you. Maybe you two can get some kind of mysterious ability and go on strange escapades together.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Don't want my fellow goons on my anime forum to think I'm a nerd.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pomp posted:

I learned that from someone with a naruto headband and said nyah a lot in their 20s and I have never been able to wash off the vicarious shame from even knowing them.

Also, I don't watch much anime so I thought this was a much nerdier tidbit than it apparently is.

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some people just lend a veneer of shame to anything, really.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's the kind of being I am.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-31/shokotan-autobiographical-cat-and-family-essays-get-tv-anime/.83944

quote:

Nakagawa broke her tailbone while recreating Narancia Ghirga's pose from the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga during a concert last October. However, she went right back on tour that same week.

Of course.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Because it foreshadows testicular misfortune for a certain JoJo :ohdear:
Misfortune?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

:siren:Public Service Announcement:siren:

Do Not Attempt JoJo Poses. You Might Break Your Booty

quote:

My behind hurts severely when I sit, stand, use stairs, or even turn over in my sleep.

The Dangers Of Posing Is Real.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 1, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not the first time Narancia fans get their rear end blasted.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna remind everybody that the JoJo RPG maker game legit owns and is awesome as gently caress and has a jojo as hell plot to it too. Don't let it being an rpgmaker game stardust crusaders fanfic fool you, it is awesome and rad and, most importantly, jojo as gently caress. Also it's cool that there are some branching paths as well as multiple endings, new game + options that add new stuff every few cycles, and 18 different stands to play through the game with. I've beaten the game with Deep Purple and am currently running through with Quicksilver and they're both p much different styles of gameplay entirely.

Most recent version of 7th Stand User and a bugfix patch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It gets better and more frequent updates than a lot of AAA and indie games.
I'd be more inclined to donate to "purchase" that game than EoH or basically most announced games and I don't actually like it that much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Is it said anywhere which pose she did?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

RatHat posted:

Is it said anywhere which pose she did?
Narancia has one iconic pose. It shouldn't be a brain teaser to figure out which one it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Aurain posted:

Not the first time Narancia fans get their rear end blasted.

• Locked thread