Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You could get much bigger used speakers for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found this Motorola fh200hwf at the thrift store today. The speakers seem to be original to it (The only markings are "golden voice" on the inside, which was apparently a Motorola brand, and the wood grain is the same).

I didn't realize Motorola made stereos like this. It's impossible to find anything about it online, but Wikipedia says they dissolved their TV/radio division in 1974 so I would guess it's from the early 70s? There's no wattage or any specs listed on it. Aside from the burnt out lamp, it works amazingly well; just needs some contact cleaner on the knobs and switches.

One thing I noticed is the automatic frequency control on this is crazy aggressive. It'll grab onto a station and you can turn one whole mHz in either direction before it loses it.

But the real find of today was this sweet Zenith R99 for $5, but that's probably not for this thread. :v:

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
:stare: $5? That is awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wa27 posted:

But the real find of today was this sweet Zenith R99 for $5, but that's probably not for this thread. :v:

Tape definitely belongs in this thread.

drat nice find.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I don't even want to collect cassettes that bad and drat do I want that boombox.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Tape definitely belongs in this thread.

Oh, in that case: Yeah, that is definitely the best deal on a piece of audio equipment I've found at a thrift store and I'm excited to have it. It's in near perfect condition aside from the missing knob and some oxidized switches that cleaned right up. I was at least expecting the tape player to have issues but it works great. The AUX input is convenient as well.

I've always wanted a nice looking boombox but there's a surprisingly large (to me at least) community of enthusiasts out there that makes all the desirable ones go for $100+ in crappy condition, so I never got my hopes up for finding one.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I've been getting a lot of listening time out of the vintage console I bought about a month ago. I use the thing more than my TV. I'm always trying to tweak something for the best sound. And that's where my question begins. I recently acquired a digital tracking force scale and have my Micromatic turntable set within its spec to just over 3 grams. The problem I'm having is that it only mistracks along the very inner grooves, like the last 10 seconds or so of a song. It could obviously have something to do with the tone arm, but before I go messing with the changer and lubing something that might not like lubing... is it common to have players with too light a tracking force skip within the inner grooves?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I think that's a cartridge alignment or table wobble problem? Inner groove stuff is super common:

Vinyl Engine Forums posted:

The velocity that the needle sees differs if You are playing most outer grooves or most inner grooves. This will mean that the sound cannot be as good on most inner grooves as on most outer.

If this is easy audible or not comes down to the specific playing condition, I think. It is very likely that some needles perform better than others in dealing with inner grooves. The better a needle can trace, the better inner grooves will sound IMO.

Of course cartridge adjustments should first be checked and optimized, this can in some cases help. And itīs always good to know that everything is OK with the tt.

Someone else can weigh in on how to fix it?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
drat, as much as I enjoy this turntable I'm not sure it's possible to change the alignment of the cartridge, but I'll certainly try. Worst case scenario I keep the tracking force the way it is. 3g is high compared to modern stuff but I'm not convinced it'll do any appreciable damage as long as I'm good about keeping things clean.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Does that table have anti-skate? Recently I was working on a Realstic Lab 400 and was having tracking issues in the inner ring area. Turned out that due to age or something the anti skate was out of spec and was causing the issue. I found a record with one side without any groves and adjusted it using that so it just sits still at any spot on the record. I no longer have any issues with tracking.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I think people have misunderstood your issue. Inner groove distortion such as sibilance is an alignment issue. An issue of actual mistracking on the innermost grooves usually has more to do with the auto return mechanism under the table starting to be tripped. Where there is not enough lubrication on the auto return pawl for the weight of the moving arm to advance it, it will simply bind the arm up in the same spot.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I'm very new at this, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something. So my current setup is Pro-Ject Debut III -> Lepai 2020A+ Amp -> Klipsch KB-15's.

Am I right that I need a pre-amp in there too? I'm assuming it needs to be turntable -> preamp -> amp -> speakers? Thanks for the help!

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

PleasusChrist posted:

I'm very new at this, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something. So my current setup is Pro-Ject Debut III -> Lepai 2020A+ Amp -> Klipsch KB-15's.

Am I right that I need a pre-amp in there too? I'm assuming it needs to be turntable -> preamp -> amp -> speakers? Thanks for the help!

You are correct! There is also a Debut turntable that has a built-in preamp, if you have not already purchased that. That will definitely be more expensive than getting a $20 phono preamp box, though.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 4, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
you need a phono pre-amp. a regular pre-amp won't do the job

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I have acquired a marantz pm-84 mk ll, and it has some issues. Very low audio on the left channel when both speakers are in the same group. When they are in different ones, the left is there but kinda iffy. What should I inspect first?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

I have acquired a marantz pm-84 mk ll, and it has some issues. Very low audio on the left channel when both speakers are in the same group. When they are in different ones, the left is there but kinda iffy. What should I inspect first?

First thing you should always do is spray all the pots and switches with contact cleaner and move them around a couple dozen times to get rid of any crud or oxidation that has accumulated over the years. Repeat once or twice more.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Found a couple things this weekend.

First off is a Marantz 2230B which sounds great, just has some strange rub mark in the middle near the label on the face plate. Needed a good deoxit job, but turned out fine, really clean unit so I think it was in a closet most of its life.

Next was some huge Sansui speakers.

Actually not that huge, but pretty cool, and sound good. They remind me a lot of Realistic Minimus 7s. Also found the EQ that is underneath them, such a sucker for pretty lights.

Now the project, I'm scared of this thing, I've fixed around 8 turntables so far this year, but nothing like this beast. It's a Pioneer PL-L1000A, and it's really huge. So far issues are tone arm doesn't drop and the tone arm stops at the wrong places on the record. I'll post pictures of the tear down and rebuild and hope I get it sorted out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Post step by step pictures so I can figure out how to fix my JVC thanks :3:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TooLShack posted:

Now the project, I'm scared of this thing, I've fixed around 8 turntables so far this year, but nothing like this beast. It's a Pioneer PL-L1000A, and it's really huge. So far issues are tone arm doesn't drop and the tone arm stops at the wrong places on the record. I'll post pictures of the tear down and rebuild and hope I get it sorted out.

Very nice finds, all of them. The equalizer/spectrum analyser is super neat, gotta love those blinkenlights.

My dad is also restoring one of those PL-1000s, what is the state of the leg adjusters and the damping rubber? According to my dad, the plastic and rubber tended to disintegrate quickly, so he's trying to source metal/neoprene replacements that will hopefully last longer.

The longer-term plan is to have a dedicated reading/music room, complete with PL-L1000 a vintage receiver of some kind and (hopefully) a set of HPM-150s. The speakers are rare as rocking horse poo poo, though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Well I got it all working, wasn't too bad, had to do belt replacement and remove all the old grease. Also had to clean and unjam the mechanism that determines where the tone arm drops at what point on the record. I'm sure I could do some adjustments to make it completely perfect but that is were you dive into doing voltage readings off of test points and I'm fine with the how it works out. Polished the dust cover and got most of the scratches out, I put it with my Yamaha stack and it fits in nicely. The rubber didn't look too bad on this so I didn't fool with it and make it worse.

Anyways have some crappy pictures since I can't seem to remember to buy a proper camera.

Old grease and worn out belt.

All cleaned up, grease stained the plastic so it's a bit yellow in spots.

In the Yamaha stack.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Goddamn it that Marantz. Still waiting for something like that to turn up here again. I posted about a 2285B in here about a year or so ago and ended up turning it down as the consensus was it was a bit overpriced. Turned out to be a bargain for Australia. Still regretting it. (Not blaming anyone or anything.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I bought a Philips AF 877 turntable from work. I like it very much (especially that Ortofon VMS 20E MKII cartridge mounted on it :allears:), except for the fact that it won't play records.

It's a belt drive "direct control" turntable that apparently uses a magnetic feedback system for speed control. It turns the platter waaaay to sloowly, and the speed indicator is all the way to the "slow" side. If I take the platter off, I can see that the motor is turning the spindle, and then stopping, then turning it, then stopping, et cetera.

If I take the belt off, the motor just spins right up and goes. If I turn the spindle manually, the speed indicator jumps directly to MAXIMUM FAST and the motor stops spinning entirely.

I found the service manual, but it was of little help. Is there any chance I can fix this thing without getting out the soldering iron?

Unrelated: things in for recycling at work lately:
  • a Luxman R117
  • A bunch of B&O stuff, including the goddamn cords and loving control panel this time
  • Yet another Marantz 2230 (yawn), it might've been a gold engraved one. I forget
  • Did you know Marantz made VCRs?
  • some Phase Linear tuner
  • a Concept ELC heavy as poo poo tape deck
  • a pair of Dynaco A25 speakers
  • A pair of bigass floorstanding speakers that say "Kevin" on an engraved brass plate on the front and "Scan-Speak" upside down on a thing on the back. Hmm.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 11, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So I just got the merch pack from Humble Bundle 13. It includes a goddamn cassette tape.

A cassette tape, in TYOOL 2015.

I guess I'll have to find a decent tape deck now, maybe a Nakamichi with auto-reverse or something.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

So I just got the merch pack from Humble Bundle 13. It includes a goddamn cassette tape.

A cassette tape, in TYOOL 2015.

I guess I'll have to find a decent tape deck now, maybe a Nakamichi with auto-reverse or something.

The funny thing with Nakamichi cassette decks is they shirked auto-reverse in their decks for a while because the azimuth would change if the tape were reversed. They did have something that would physically reverse the entire tape which was neat. The Nak tape deck I have, the CR7A, which was almost 2 grand in the late 80s/early 90s, doesn't even have autoreverse. It has a neat auto azimuth calibration that changes the angle of the read head depending on the frequency response of the tape though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I may be getting a Nakamichi 482 tape deck for next to nothing (he just wants a bottle of red wine). It needs a new idler wheel, but should be fully functional apart from that.

I've also got a line on a NAD 6240 deck for about :10bux:. I think either of those would do nicely, but I'd prefer the Nak.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I may be getting a Nakamichi 482 tape deck for next to nothing (he just wants a bottle of red wine). It needs a new idler wheel, but should be fully functional apart from that.

I've also got a line on a NAD 6240 deck for about :10bux:. I think either of those would do nicely, but I'd prefer the Nak.

Yeah, that Nak is a 3-head deck. NADs look nice but they werent known for their cassette decks.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

TooLShack posted:

In the Yamaha stack.

We have been looking for some way to hold my record player/records and I believe I am going to steal this idea. We were going to go the ikea route but this will work in the space we have perfectly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah, that Nak is a 3-head deck. NADs look nice but they werent known for their cassette decks.

I'm not going to be doing much (if any) recording, so the advantage of a 3-head deck is not that important.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not going to be doing much (if any) recording, so the advantage of a 3-head deck is not that important.

I would think that separate heads would prevent concessions made for a combined read/write head. Additionally a three-head deck is indicative of higher quality so you probably get better heads and other components out of it also. Nonetheless I would probably even get a Nak 2-head deck over pretty much any other 3-head deck.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

PleasusChrist posted:

Well, I just got my new receiver in today. I was going to just add a pre amp to my original setup, but the Yamaha RS 300 was recommended by a user on r/vinyl, and I like that I should be able to grow into it for a while.

This is going out to the Klipsch KB15's. I'm very happy with the new setup. I can't wait to get it all dialed in.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

My dad's old Soviet-era record player finally gave up so I'm thinking of getting a Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC to replace it but I'm a bit confused - will I need anything else to use it for listening to records with headphones plugged in to the record player?

Never messed around with amps or receivers of any kind, which is why I might not be understanding everything, used to just plugging in headphones to the old Vega 108 Stereo with a 5-pin DIN adapter.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Angryhead posted:

My dad's old Soviet-era record player finally gave up so I'm thinking of getting a Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC to replace it but I'm a bit confused - will I need anything else to use it for listening to records with headphones plugged in to the record player?

Never messed around with amps or receivers of any kind, which is why I might not be understanding everything, used to just plugging in headphones to the old Vega 108 Stereo with a 5-pin DIN adapter.
I just got one of these. The LP120USB has a built in pre-amp, and a switch on the back to change between phono and line level outputs. It's RCA cables are built into the unit, and it comes with a couple adapters to plug into headphones, etc. So no, you will be fine with just the turntable and headphones.

e: You may want an extension cord, depending on how far you sit from the unit, because the hard-wired cords are really short.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 13, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Flaggy posted:

We have been looking for some way to hold my record player/records and I believe I am going to steal this idea. We were going to go the ikea route but this will work in the space we have perfectly.

Go for it, just either not make it as deep or add another all thread on each side in the middle so your records are evenly supported. The shelf on the bottom was set up for records but I end up storing all my 10inch tape reels in it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up this record cabinet recently at Goodwill that works well and is a nice size (if a bit dated-looking). Here's my current setup:

edit: Pioneer SX-780, Garrard DD-75, and Pioneer CS-510 speakers

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 13, 2015

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Flaggy posted:

It's called a Flexy rack, and it's the best cheap DIY furniture you will ever build. I built a four shelf/six threaded rod shelf for video game consoles some ten years ago out of this design and I'm pretty sure I could drive over it with a dump truck and it would still have the same shape.

Pro-tip: Home Depot/Lowes/most lumber places sell laminated pine for not much more than MDF, and will usually cut it for free. You'll get stronger, lighter and thinner shelves that actually take well to stain or oil this way.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jadius posted:

It's called a Flexy rack, and it's the best cheap DIY furniture you will ever build. I built a four shelf/six threaded rod shelf for video game consoles some ten years ago out of this design and I'm pretty sure I could drive over it with a dump truck and it would still have the same shape.

Pro-tip: Home Depot/Lowes/most lumber places sell laminated pine for not much more than MDF, and will usually cut it for free. You'll get stronger, lighter and thinner shelves that actually take well to stain or oil this way.

Thats funny you should post that. We just built this today instead.

From lumber purchase, to staining, to assembly about 2.5 hours.

I just need a better receiver.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 14, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That's nice and simple. I need to build me one of those

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought a Thorens TD-105 Mk II with an Ortofon pickup for less than $20, on my dad's recommendation. It's listed as broken because it won't turn on, but he's 99% sure it's just a fuse, and he's worked with electronics (including turntables, radios and TVs) since the 70s.

Now to start my collection of fancy-pants coloured vinyl.

E: We've also managed to make the Pioneer PL-L1000 fully functional again, including the suspension legs. Now we're just waiting for the phono preamp he's ordered to arrive.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 15, 2015

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the Pioneer TX 7800 a good receiver? I have a chance to buy one for 50 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think it's just a tuner, not a receiver. I.e., no amp.