Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Rime posted:

Seeing as many of them no longer exist...

Bullshit. Please direct me to 1 company on that list which does not exist, and I can show you a P&L statement and company website.

On average I would wager each company quoted has hired at least 300 white collar workers if their market cap was above 2 billion as of Jan 2015 since 2008. If you really want to sperg about it, Revenue canada has payroll disclosure and entries for each industry, and major contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
RIM and Corel are barely companies anymore. ATI doesn't exist. I have no idea what you mean by SSH server systems or Lotus 1-2-3 or medtronic. The current generation of Ford Escape most certainly wasn't developed in Canada (I'm guessing germany or uk). Frankly I'm shocked Ford developed the AWD and ABS themselves instead of buying it from Magna/Haldex/whoever. I see that Bauer was sold by Nike to a bunch of Russians. The most profitable sports league is most definitely not the NHL, which imo is the most incompetent loving network of corruption and nepotism. I mean jesus christ, wayne gretzky was the highest paid hc in the league and all 4 loving sutters are still loving around? Also jesus christ man, Cannacord? You obviously work in the ~*biz*~ and you bring those fuckers up? Finally, I can't believe you equate writing for gawker as the pinnacle of journalism.

hal_2005, this bromance is over.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 31, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lotus 123 came from Cambridge, not Canada. Bioware has been a brand name for EA for years, slapped on unrelated internal teams, just like Maxis. Lionsgate has been based in the USA for even longer. ATI hasn't existed for we'll over a decade.

There's plenty of relics in your list man.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Canadian economy is worse than Mass Effect 3's endings.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

etalian posted:

The Canadian economy is worse than Mass Effect 3's endings.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
can one of you poopsockers please explain to me what a mass effect 3 ending is

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

can one of you poopsockers please explain to me what a mass effect 3 ending is

A videogame ending equivalent to the housing bubble. Tons of buildup with a predictably :flaccid: and poorly planned ending that left tons of people feeling betrayed and burned by the ones who told them it could only go up Up UP.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
except with aliens and explosions and poo poo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
thx <3

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 2, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Zerohedge, but still good for a laugh:

quote:

In Denmark You Are Now Paid To Take Out A Mortgage

Thanks of Mario Draghi's generosity with "other generations' slavery", and following 3 consecutive rate cuts by the Danish Central Bank, a local bank - Nordea Credit - is now offering a mortgage with a negative interest rate! This means, according to DR.dk, that Nordea have had to pay instead of charging interest to to a handful of customers, says housing economist at Nordea Kredit, Lise Nytoft Bergmann for Finance.

From DR, google-translated:

The interest rate has balanced around 0 in a level between minus 0.03 percent plus 0.03 percent. Most have paid a modest positive interest rate, but there are so few who have had a negative rate. It is quite an unusual situation, says Lise Nytoft Bergmann.

It is residential customers who have chosen to stick with F1-loan that now benefit from the negative interest rate. F1 loan form has otherwise been strong returns in recent years in favor of fixed interest loan.

Although interest rates are negative, it is not something that can be felt by customers as contributions and other costs continue to be paid. In turn, interest will be deducted from the contribution.

Precisely because it is an unusual situation, Nordea Kredit's IT systems are not geared to the situation when the computers are only used to collect interest.

Lise Nytoft Bergmann says that there is no cause for concern, and that the new situation can be handled, "but sometimes we have to use duct tape and paste."
This is just the beginning: according the Danish media outlet, as a result of variable-refinancing, as recently as a week from now "a greater share of customers could have a negative rate."

Mortgage Denmark is one of the mortgage banks, where F1 rate also is close to zero, and here you are very excited about the upcoming negotiations, says Christian Hilligsøe Heinig, chief economist of the Mortgage Denmark.

We have an auction just around the corner and it is very exciting to see how interest rates are going. We can go and get negative interest rates, says Christian Hilligsøe Heinig to JP Financial.
And just like that, first in Denmark, and soon everywhere else in Europe, a situation has now emerged where savers who pay the bank to hold their cash courtesy of negative deposit rates, are directly funding the negative interest rate paid to those who wish to take out debt. In fact, the more debt the greater the saver-subsidized windfall.

That all this will end in blood and a lot of tears is clear to anyone but the most tenured economists, however in the meantime, we can't wait to take advantage of the humorous opportunities that Europe (and soon Japan and the US) will provide in the coming months, as spending profligacy will be directly subsidized and funded by the insolvent monetary system, while responsible behavior and well-paid labor will be punished, first with negative rates and soon thereafter: with threats, both theoretical and practical, of bodily harm.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 31, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rime posted:

Lotus 123 came from Cambridge, not Canada. Bioware has been a brand name for EA for years, slapped on unrelated internal teams, just like Maxis. Lionsgate has been based in the USA for even longer. ATI hasn't existed for we'll over a decade.

There's plenty of relics in your list man.

Assuming you are talking about the film company, I walk by the Lionsgate main office when I go to lunch. Definitely not Canada.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

tagesschau posted:

You're really holding these up as shining examples of Canadian ingenuity? OK, I guess Highliner is pretty decent and in my freezer right now, but I prefer the President's Choice competitors.

a/k/a the people who screwed up the Obamacare rollout

And they say Ontario exporting is dead. They forgot about the Cup!

Cott produces (or produced at one time, not sure now) all of walmart's store brand pop, as well as RC cola, the best cola. PC cola might taste better but they are the real deal. They used to produce a lot of the PC cola as well although I think they lost that deal. I used to work there but I forget most of it as it was over a decade ago.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Google and Apple have a larger market cap than this entire list combined, and no company on this list is perceived anywhere near the way they are.

The market cap of BoA is twice that of TD bank, and JP Morgan Chase is about 3x. Wells Fargo has a larger market cap than either (over 3x TD Bank). Citigroup is a little bit under 2x. So TD is not the second largest bank in the US by any reasonable metric.

SSH was invented by some Finnish dude.

Palantir was founded by a bunch of American Stanford grads, and was essentially just a data analytics platform for a long time (only relatively recently have they started to integrate things like ML into their platform, and I know this first hand because I know their ML team). I have no idea what it means to say that the 'master algos' were built at Waterloo.

The most profitable sport in the US is the NFL, by far: http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/30/news/companies/nfl-taxpayers/, and any claims that e.g. NBA teams are losing money is largely accounting smoke and mirrors: http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

Several of the other tech companies on this list have been acquired and/or ceased to be relevant years ago (Lotus 1-2-3 being the most obvious example, but also ATI, Bioware, Blackberry, etc). And lovely enterprise software (OpenText, CGI) isn't something to get excited about.

I could probably keep going but it's hard to muster the energy to argue why it's probably not reasonable to compare Saputo with the largest publicly traded company in the world.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reminder that Hal used to fly off the handle with incredibly unintelligible and bizarre arguments whenever he stopped taking his medication (not that I'm upset to see him back- hey bud! :)).

Speaking of unintelligible and bizarre arguments, I had one with my girlfriend last night re: Direct Energy (I sat my rear end down and caught up with the thread last night). I thought that DE sounded familiar and asked her about it, it turns out that a few months ago she'd told me that her sister was using them and that she thought that we should too. When I told her about what I'd read she became upset and told me that they aren't a scam and that not everything on the Internet is true.

So e/n, can you tell me more about Direct Energy I guess?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Cott produces (or produced at one time, not sure now) all of walmart's store brand pop, as well as RC cola, the best cola. PC cola might taste better but they are the real deal. They used to produce a lot of the PC cola as well although I think they lost that deal. I used to work there but I forget most of it as it was over a decade ago.

I was talking about the PC competitors to the frozen fish, actually. Wal-Mart's store-brand diet cola, and Cott's own branded diet cola, are absolutely terrible. (I don't drink regular soda.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RIM and Corel are barely companies anymore. ATI doesn't exist. I have no idea what you mean by SSH server systems or Lotus 1-2-3 or medtronic. The current generation of Ford Escape most certainly wasn't developed in Canada (I'm guessing germany or uk). Frankly I'm shocked Ford developed the AWD and ABS themselves instead of buying it from Magna/Haldex/whoever. I see that Bauer was sold by Nike to a bunch of Russians. The most profitable sports league is most definitely not the NHL, which imo is the most incompetent loving network of corruption and nepotism. I mean jesus christ, wayne gretzky was the highest paid hc in the league and all 4 loving sutters are still loving around? Also jesus christ man, Cannacord? You obviously work in the ~*biz*~ and you bring those fuckers up? Finally, I can't believe you equate writing for gawker as the pinnacle of journalism.

hal_2005, this bromance is over.

A friendly reminder that other knowledge type industries like IT/Tech or medical companies only make up a tiny percentage of all TSX market cap:

Basically the only canadian companies that have true big international reach tend to be either energy or finance.

Another mistake in the canadian economy was not targeting emerging markets well enough since most canadian exports go to the USA or developing world markets:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cppib-chief-urges-canada-to-diversify-aim-investments-at-emerging-markets/article22643580/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Professor Shark posted:

Reminder that Hal used to fly off the handle with incredibly unintelligible and bizarre arguments whenever he stopped taking his medication (not that I'm upset to see him back- hey bud! :)).

Speaking of unintelligible and bizarre arguments, I had one with my girlfriend last night re: Direct Energy (I sat my rear end down and caught up with the thread last night). I thought that DE sounded familiar and asked her about it, it turns out that a few months ago she'd told me that her sister was using them and that she thought that we should too. When I told her about what I'd read she became upset and told me that they aren't a scam and that not everything on the Internet is true.

http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-reviews/energy-service-companies/direct-energy-ontario-home-services-in-markham-on-1088307

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Why would we have to tell you anything when the BBB can tell you everything you need to know!

http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-reviews/energy-service-companies/direct-energy-ontario-home-services-in-markham-on-1088307

edit: gently caress, beaten! ^^^

quote:

On December 20, 2012, The Competition Bureau announced today that it is taking action against Direct Energy Marketing Limited, a company that rents water heaters to residential customers in Ontario.

Following an extensive investigation, the Bureau determined that Direct Energy engaged in practices that intentionally suppressed competition and restricted consumer choice. Specifically, the company implemented water heater return policies and procedures aimed at preventing consumers from switching to competitors. This anti-competitive conduct affects consumers, other rental water heater companies, and businesses that sell water heaters, such as home improvement centres.

Currently, when Direct Energy customers wish to switch to another provider, they must contend with a number of practices and procedures intended to frustrate the return process for their rented water heaters, including:

- a requirement to call to obtain authorization to return a rented water heater;
- aggressive retention tactics during these calls;
- restrictions on when and where water heaters can be returned; and
- unwarranted fees and charges.

To restore competition in the market for residential water heater sales and rentals, and to protect consumer choice, the Bureau filed applications with the Competition Tribunal today, seeking orders prohibiting Direct Energy from engaging in further anti-competitive conduct. In addition, the Bureau is seeking an administrative monetary penalty of $15 million from Direct Energy.

The Bureau's applications were filed under the abuse of dominance provision of the Competition Act.

Copies of the Bureau's applications will be available shortly on the Competition Tribunal's website.

This is the second proceeding the Competition Bureau has commenced against Direct Energy or its predecessor. In 2002, following a Bureau investigation, the Competition Tribunal prohibited similar conduct by Enbridge Services Inc., now Direct Energy, under a 10-year consent order. The Bureau's investigation determined that Direct Energy re-engaged in similar conduct after the consent order expired in February 2012.

The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

A friendly reminder that other knowledge type industries like IT/Tech or medical companies only make up a tiny percentage of all TSX market cap:

Basically the only canadian companies that have true big international reach tend to be either energy or finance.

Another mistake in the canadian economy was not targeting emerging markets well enough since most canadian exports go to the USA or developing world markets:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cppib-chief-urges-canada-to-diversify-aim-investments-at-emerging-markets/article22643580/

hahaha i love this chart

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hahaha i love this chart

Guess the country

Russia

Australia

India

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Count Canuckula posted:

Why would we have to tell you anything when the BBB can tell you everything you need to know!

edit: gently caress, beaten! ^^^

:stare::hf::stonk:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/canadas-economy-slumps-in-november-as-factories-energy-sector-hit/article22716702/

quote:

The Canadian economy’s disappointing step backward in November has strengthened the case for the Bank of Canada to cut interest rates further to stanch the bleeding.

Statistics Canada reported Friday that gross domestic product shrank by a seasonally adjusted 0.2 per cent in the month versus October, the weakest performance in nearly a year. Year-over-year growth stood at 1.9 per cent, the slowest since last March, and down significantly from October’s 2.3 per cent.

The surprise economic contraction underlined the mounting risks of a stalling of Canada’s fragile economic recovery, which was the Bank of Canada’s chief concern last week when it announced an unexpected cut in its key interest rate, to 0.75 per cent from 1 per cent. The disturbing data dealt another body blow to the Canadian dollar, sending it down more than a full penny to 78.22 cents (U.S.) immediately following the release, as traders upped their bets that the central bank will have to cut rates further to prop up the faltering economy.

Economists said the November disappointment puts the 2014 fourth quarter on pace for a tepid 2-per-cent annualized growth rate, making the Bank of Canada’s latest estimate of 2.5 per cent, issued just last week, already look outdated. But perhaps more troubling was the source of the weakness in the November numbers: Oil wasn’t the biggest problem.

The ill effects of plunging oil prices on the energy sector in November were fairly muted. Oil and gas extraction retreated 0.7 per cent in the month, at a time when the average price for crude’s West Texas Intermediate benchmark averaged almost $76 (U.S.) a barrel, $30 higher than today.

The bigger source of weakness was the manufacturing sector – which is supposed to benefit from oil’s weakness, as cheap fuel gives an added boost to the economy in the key U.S. export market (the world’s biggest energy consumer), while the declining loonie delivers a competitive edge to Canada’s non-energy exports. Yet output from Canadian factories slowed by 1.9 per cent in the month, wiping out their healthy gains in September and October.

“Even outside of energy, underlying economic growth was discouragingly soft,” said Merrill Lynch economist Emanuella Enenajor.

While most experts believe the manufacturing sector will bounce back as the oil-related effects take greater hold, the discouraging November weakness presents the possibility that the non-oil economy isn’t on as solid ground as many observers, including the Bank of Canada, had previously thought.

“The lack of momentum in manufacturing and non-energy exports suggests downside risk to the growth outlook,” said Charles St-Arnaud, senior economist at Nomura Securities in London and a former Bank of Canada economist. “We continue to believe that the BoC will cut rates again in the coming months.”

The central bank’s next rate decision is March 4, less than five weeks away. That’s not a lot of time for the effects of last week’s rate cut – and the resulting further depreciation of the Canadian dollar – to play out in the broader economy. There’s a feeling that the central bank might want more time to assess the impact of its first rate cut before committing to a second one.

The surprise nature of last week’s rate cut has ramped up the uncertainty surrounding the central bank’s policy path, and as a result, any additional cutting would call for some detailed explanation from Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz, to keep financial markets up to speed with the bank’s thinking. For that reason, the bank may prefer to wait until its April 15 rate decision, when its scheduled announcement will be accompanied by a Monetary Policy Report and a news conference with Mr. Poloz, rather than just the usual one-page policy statement that will accompany the March decision.

But given the sour November numbers and the prospect of things getting worse before they get better as the impact of the oil shock deepens, a growing number of economists feel the situation warrants quick action – the central bank should cut again at its next available policy-setting opportunity.

“The contraction in November increases the likelihood that the next move will be in March,” Mr. St-Arnaud said.

Bring back the zero down mortgage. :getin:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The rate cuts basically means Canada is trying to do fiscal policy band aids because they foresee a lovely economic future for the country due to things such as oil price swan dive.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Another rate cut just seems silly to me. Interest rates have been at historic lows for years. It's not like everyone's been putting off doing things because 1.00% or 0.75% are ridiculous rates.

Will cutting them further actually spur more economic activity or encourage borrowing? It seems something that isn't particularly useful when you've been doing it for the last five years or so and you're still screwed.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Segue posted:

Another rate cut just seems silly to me. Interest rates have been at historic lows for years. It's not like everyone's been putting off doing things because 1.00% or 0.75% are ridiculous rates.

Will cutting them further actually spur more economic activity or encourage borrowing? It seems something that isn't particularly useful when you've been doing it for the last five years or so and you're still screwed.

Welcome to a liquidity trap, I guess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Segue posted:

Well it's more a pre-emptive fiscal measure since rate cutting ends up be less effective after the economic disaster occurs.

another side note is after the December/January rate cuts bond yields are now 50% lower than the happy time value:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So how long before the Bank of Canada starts straight up buying billions of dollars worth of securities like the US Fed has been doing for the last few years?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

blah_blah posted:

The most profitable sport in the US is the NFL, by far: http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/30/news/companies/nfl-taxpayers/, and any claims that e.g. NBA teams are losing money is largely accounting smoke and mirrors: http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

The NHL, on the other hand, has at least one team that definately loses money and has more than a few teams (like, anywhere where it doesn't snow) that can't move tickets. Even playoff tickets against top teams cost less than $50.00 in the South. If you ever want to see a Leafs or Habs playoff game and aren't a Bay Street employee, just wait until they play Tampa or Florida or something and save $500+.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All y'all hate qe for no good reason. Bring it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

So how long before the Bank of Canada starts straight up buying billions of dollars worth of securities like the US Fed has been doing for the last few years?

Hopefully it works better than the version we tried in Canada where the government wrote blank checks for real estate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

All y'all hate qe for no good reason. Bring it.

Why? Is pumping up stock prices going to magically revive an economy with lovely fundamentals?

Also, I thought you hated bubbles, which would seem to be the one thing that QE is actually good at creating.

ocrumsprug posted:

Hopefully it works better than the version we tried in Canada where the government wrote blank checks for real estate.

Do you consider printing money to inflate stock market prices to be a "blank check"? Cause that seems to be what QE has amounted to in practice.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Years ago I was invited to a "job interview" with Direct Energy which was more like 10 people in a room with 50 chairs facing the front of a conference room, in a largely empty office that looked like it had very recently been moved into (I noticed the "receptionist's" phone wasn't plugged in).

A guy with a slick haircut and a flashy but cheap suit began to tell us about this "direct sales opportunity" (e.g. door to door sales) where everything is on commission and nobody makes a salary of a wage. He explained how how we could be making up to 100k in just a couple years time by signing up enough of our friends to do the same. He spent a lot of time talking about how "job jobs" where you are paid hourly or a salary are obsolete and the future belongs to those smart, dynamic individuals who can basically hustle and make sales. This culminated in him telling us to buy gold and Google Ron Paul (he circled the name on a whiteboard).

It was a complete waste of time and the other 10 or so "candidates" all left with disappointed looks because I guess we all expected to find "job jobs" and not, you know, real jobs where you work for potentially nothing and the only way to get ahead is to participate in a pyramid scheme.

Some months later that same guy came to my door, sans flashy suit, with a nervous looking zitty teen in tow, and attempted to sell me Direct Energy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

A videogame ending equivalent to the housing bubble. Tons of buildup with a predictably :flaccid: and poorly planned ending that left tons of people feeling betrayed and burned by the ones who told them it could only go up Up UP.

proudly made in canada, too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Isentropy posted:

As someone about to go back to grad school for aero stuff, are local companies trying to pick up the slack? Or is it a "don't go, no jobs, die alone" kind of deal?

I ask in this thread because aerospace is, as far as I know, one of the few things that other countries will pay us to make/do (as opposed to being some crazy DEVCO/SYSCO autarkic deal). I know that several major companies (R&R, Pratt, CAE, etc.) do research and development (!!) and build stuff in Montreal.

If you go to school for aerospace engineering you will have a very limited pool of possible employers because it's actually an extremely small and consolidated industry. There's PLENTY of jobs for you among suppliers and design firms like the ones you mentioned. The real problem is when you want to work for airframers like Bombardier. If you're going to grad school you're probably going to learn a lot of deeply technical design related concepts. At Bombardier your job is mostly systems integration unless you work in Flight Sciences, Stress or Advanced design. You'll make a wage of around 50k per year and most of the time you won't have much work to do because of the maturity of the aircraft programs. Most young people have been leaving the company because they quickly realized they are forgetting or wasting their engineering skills on what amounts to a clerical engineering document reading comprehension job. They're great to work for as a start to your career, but you'll want to quickly leave and go work for a proper design firm both to keep your skills and get higher pay.

The sad thing about Bombardier is they used to hire you with a couple years engineering experience and immediately pay you like 80k per year without an interview (1995). Now they bring the same people in for 45k-50k. Plus unlike back then you don't get paid overtime so time in lieu for losing a weekend is entirely the discretion of your manager and how much of a nice guy he/she is.

How's your matlab/simulink? Become a master of that and you'll always have work.

Lastly it's a very cyclical industry. Your job security is tied to how many projects are available to you at a given time. As soon as it's over you have to leave and go work for someone else.

So if you want my advice on whether you should do it or not. I say do it if your heart is in aviation. If you're good at hard science and can handle design you will find lucrative careers among companies that actually design the components that go into airplanes. Working for the actual airframer like Bombardier will limit your career and tie your fate almost exclusively to the fate of that company. There are a lot of "lifers" there who have no career prospects outside that company because they stayed too long. Aerospace also doesn't pay that well compared to say working for AMD, Intel etc. So it's more of a "dedication" type job than a well compensated one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

Why? Is pumping up stock prices going to magically revive an economy with lovely fundamentals?

Also, I thought you hated bubbles, which would seem to be the one thing that QE is actually good at creating.

Things like QE also basically are fairly ineffective IMO since they basically make corporations, drove stocks higher and in general just make rich assholes even richer, while not improving the lot of everyone else.

Also QE leads to great money making schemes, in the US QE the banks took zero interest loans from the government and then used the loans to just buy more treasury notes.

Basically taking a free taxpayer bailout and using it to collect safe debt payments from the US government.

Kraftwerk posted:

So if you want my advice on whether you should do it or not. I say do it if your heart is in aviation. If you're good at hard science and can handle design you will find lucrative careers among companies that actually design the components that go into airplanes. Working for the actual airframer like Bombardier will limit your career and tie your fate almost exclusively to the fate of that company. There are a lot of "lifers" there who have no career prospects outside that company because they stayed too long. Aerospace also doesn't pay that well compared to say working for AMD, Intel etc. So it's more of a "dedication" type job than a well compensated one.

It's pro advice, Aerospace is a decent way to get your feet as a fresh out but don't try to make a career out of it since it's fairly stagnant/risk adverse greybeard industry.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

etalian posted:

It's pro advice, Aerospace is a decent way to get your feet as a fresh out but don't try to make a career out of it since it's fairly stagnant/risk adverse greybeard industry.

Don't I know it. Just a bunch of old men pushing us young folk around and paying us diddly squat. Unfortunately I'm stuck here. I don't have a formal engineering degree but I work a highly technical position... Every time I get ambitions and want to take on additional responsibility I get slapped down by the old boys club despite many others believing I could handle it. There's people who've been with us since 1976 and show no signs of retiring. Makes my upwards mobility really limited.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Don't I know it. Just a bunch of old men pushing us young folk around and paying us diddly squat. Unfortunately I'm stuck here. I don't have a formal engineering degree but I work a highly technical position... Every time I get ambitions and want to take on additional responsibility I get slapped down by the old boys club despite many others believing I could handle it. There's people who've been with us since 1976 and show no signs of retiring. Makes my upwards mobility really limited.

well as fresh out there's the old catch-22 situation even when you have a degree. Companies don't want to hire people unless they have work experience but you need work experience to open up more job opportunity.

Sometimes boring industry can at least give you a few years of experience, along with some free education/certs and then you can flip the company the bird when you find better offers in other more growing industries.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah. I'm happy I'm not on the new grad wagon anymore. When I see how it's only getting harder for those who don't already have a job, it makes the mediocrity a lot more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Most young people have been leaving the company because they quickly realized they are forgetting or wasting their engineering skills on what amounts to a clerical engineering document reading comprehension job. They're great to work for as a start to your career, but you'll want to quickly leave and go work for a proper design firm both to keep your skills and get higher pay.

(...)

Working for the actual airframer like Bombardier will limit your career and tie your fate almost exclusively to the fate of that company. There are a lot of "lifers" there who have no career prospects outside that company because they stayed too long. Aerospace also doesn't pay that well compared to say working for AMD, Intel etc. So it's more of a "dedication" type job than a well compensated one.

This is bizarrely familiar. I work for a MRO in Canada often described as "the place you go to supplement your military pension". I have gotten the same advice - it's a great place to stay, but don't try make a career of it because eventually you'll stall out and won't be able to go anywhere else. They still provide us with overtime and a lot of good benefits, especially for the area and at our level (where there are firms that will pay mechanical engineers 35k, no overtime or benefits), but you can lose your skills very, very fast if you're not careful. Some of the benefits, like paid overtime, actually disappear after a few years. Document revision, database management, and stuff like that will make up a huge portion of your time here, and while they're all really useful you do not want to be doing that for any more than a couple years.

It's good to hear that the guys hollering about "C's make degrees" and bombing every course requiring advanced math on their way to Fort Mac weren't completely right though. I guess I'll head forward but try to look towards the firms working in propulsion and design instead.

edit: I also missed your point about advancement. More than one person here has gone on past 75.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 31, 2015