Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, underestimation of software professionals is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Hi everyone,

It seems that the free software is replaced by :siren:open source:siren: on FOSDEM
website. 2014: https://fosdem.org/2014/about/
2015: https://www.fosdem.org/2015/about/

What is the scope on changing this ?

https://github.com/FOSDEM/website/commit/f86c7040dad3dd1e85d8b0922079250ae591dd30

2013: https://www.fosdem.org/2013/about/

poty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

the process mounting your root filesystem crashes: totally not a thing that will bring down your entire system
the tcp/ip stack process crashes: totally not a thing that will crash every single network-facing process on your system and hence abort all your active ssh sessions at which point why the gently caress don't you just reboot your server anyway

yeah restarting kernel drivers isn't a compelling use case

being able to use regular userspace debuggers on them during development is pretty cool tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

everything is buggy and it turns out if you move it to userspace your system gets a whole lot more reliable both because its easier to debug and because when it fucks up it doesn't take down the entire system

yeah i'm guessing graphics drivers on linux will only improve when less of them lives inside kernel space

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mr Dog posted:

http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/lenovos-x1-carbon-3rd-touchpad-woes.html

lol

dear lenovo, please stop trying to be appel

also i'm the reference to an Agent Smith quote

"whoa" - neo

:ughh:

How hard is it to just restart T430 era keyboard production (but thinner and lighter)?

I will laugh so hard if the reason is that trackpoint buttons are now physically attached to the touchpad instead of the keyboard because if it ain't broke then break it (then I will buy a used T440s to replace the palm rest with a T450s one and realise they're like 0.5mm different in size because gently caress you :retrogames:)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 31, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they probably save a nickel by having the hardware buttons on the trackpad PCB instead of the keyboard. since they presumably provide their own windows drivers, why not ship an ugly software hack and save the nickel ?

what's terrible about this is not their cheaping out on the hardware -- it's that most lenovo models have at least one "certified for linux" SKU

did they certify models with known-broken mouse buttons?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they probably save a nickel by having the hardware buttons on the trackpad PCB instead of the keyboard. since they presumably provide their own windows drivers, why not ship an ugly software hack and save the nickel ?

what's terrible about this is not their cheaping out on the hardware -- it's that most lenovo models have at least one "certified for linux" SKU

did they certify models with known-broken mouse buttons?

yeah the new trackpoint buttons are probably just a touchpad bolted on backwards

and no it's not known-broken anymore once a fix has been hacked into the linux kernel~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

yeah the new trackpoint buttons are probably just a touchpad bolted on backwards

and no it's not known-broken anymore once a fix has been hacked into the linux kernel~

they should have had a fix before the hardware was released

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they should have had a fix before the hardware was released

i can't buy them yet :newlol:

and it is not like lenovo does not have a history of letting the customer beta test their innovative features

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like the part where linux uses the PS/2 serial bus in the year of our lord 2015 to talk to a multitouch capacitive touchpad because apparently the native interface uses SMBus/I2C in such a hosed up way that Synaptics just goes ahead and clobbers the Windows I2C subsystem and replaces it with its own just to make poo poo work

and then surprise surprise they don't qa the PS/2 interface very well so it returns incorrect physical geometry metadata sometimes v:shobon:v

and also they reuse the pnpid a bunch because who cares right v:shobon:v

idk why ppl put up with making this poo poo run on linux at all much less for free but uh props to them i guess :cheers:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
idk I kinda expect basic poo poo like that to break when using Linux

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

does any of it work after suspend?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

i like the part where linux uses the PS/2 serial bus in the year of our lord 2015 to talk to a multitouch capacitive touchpad because apparently the native interface uses SMBus/I2C in such a hosed up way that Synaptics just goes ahead and clobbers the Windows I2C subsystem and replaces it with its own just to make poo poo work

and then surprise surprise they don't qa the PS/2 interface very well so it returns incorrect physical geometry metadata sometimes v:shobon:v

and also they reuse the pnpid a bunch because who cares right v:shobon:v

idk why ppl put up with making this poo poo run on linux at all much less for free but uh props to them i guess :cheers:

the touchpad on my retina macbook pro works perfectly with apple osx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the touchpad on my retina macbook pro works perfectly with linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

does any of it work after suspend?

ZShakespeare posted:

idk I kinda expect basic poo poo like that to break when using Linux

this is why people buy lenovo's "certified for linux" laptops

i'm disappointed when they uh, don't do any qa

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
do they specify what distro they support at the time of sale?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

do they specify what distro they support at the time of sale?

they test rhel, suse, and ubuntu. not every model is certified for every version. but it at least tells you what you're in for

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they test rhel, suse, and ubuntu. not every model is certified for every version. but it at least tells you what you're in for

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/make/Lenovo/?category=Laptop

i dunno whom i should blame

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i'm guessing graphics drivers on linux will only improve when less of them lives inside kernel space

no, they'll improve when they have more than two people working on them.

weirdly enough, the nvidia driver is pretty good.

on the other hand, your lovely USB web cam / printer / whatever else drivers on Windows just return IO errors to the application when their drivers segfault

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the nvidia drivers are good because they actually have people working on them, conversely the amd drivers are loving terrible messes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

the nvidia drivers are good because they actually have people working on them, conversely the amd drivers are loving terrible messes

every couple of years someone will insist to me that fglrx is "actually good now"

it's never true

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
fglrx is actually good now.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's all enabled on my laptop and I don't have any crashes.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So, on a machine with intel hd graphics, xflgrx works pretty great!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the only reason it probably works is because of the nvidia/intel hybrid drivers

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

pram posted:

the touchpad on my retina macbook pro works perfectly with apple osx

no it doesn't, install SmoothMouse to see why.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

computer toucher posted:

well im not going to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer toucher posted:

it actually does

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Multitouch on my asus laptop works just fine. In fact, everything on my asus laptop works fine under Linux, even suspend.

The only issue is that if you connect an external monitor, do some work, and disconnect the external monitor, and lock the laptop, and go into suspend... when you wake up the laptop, the screen isn't locked anymore. I could file a bug report on gnome shell but I'm too lazy and it's ubuntu gnome so whelp

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

man, this thread is really taking me back to all those times when I was using a real desktop OS and had detailed conversations about how and if my basic input devices would work.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

still not using lunix itt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

posted from my non-lunix ipad air 2

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

fglrx is actually good now.

it's better in that it doesn't crash on startup in as many programs anymore, but it still a broken pos and Nvidia blows them away performance-wise on linux even when the same cards are nearly equivalent on windows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://zacbrown.org/2015/01/18/openbsd-as-a-desktop.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

http://zacbrown.org/2015/01/18/openbsd-as-a-desktop.html posted:

WiFi is also better in OpenBSD than it was on Linux. Signal reception is more consistent whereas it seemed to fluctuate a considerable amount on Linux.

what could explain that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

what could explain that?

openbsd uses a 10C dilution of wifi, compared to linux's 20X

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have OpenBSD running on one laptop; it's a bit antiquated in ways and you can really hurt yourself easily if you're inexperienced, but it is fairly easy to get up and running with gnome 3 which works perfectly, and it will be quite secure if you're not a moron and open it up. I like using it for an endpoint to shell into other boxes - if you're running openbsd on a laptop, those micro belkin usb wireless kits work really well and have nice blue blinken lights.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Broken Machine posted:

I have OpenBSD running on one laptop; it's a bit antiquated in ways and you can really hurt yourself easily if you're inexperienced, but it is fairly easy to get up and running with gnome 3 which works perfectly, and it will be quite secure if you're not a moron and open it up. I like using it for an endpoint to shell into other boxes - if you're running openbsd on a laptop, those micro belkin usb wireless kits work really well and have nice blue blinken lights.

By saying old and fully supported, I imagine a Pentium pro think pad.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

By saying old and fully supported, I imagine a Pentium pro think pad.

it's extremely lightweight as far as memory footprint and it'll run on most anything; usually keeps itself under 512mb, rarely hits swap. A lot of the elevators run it for example. You can in fact run a multi-terabyte fileserver on a 386 with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

what could explain that?

broken power management.

i get much better wifi performance under linux than osx, but it comes at the cost of my battery.