Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Playing the prerelease online has made me realize just how bomby it is. I've been pretty starved for bombs but had some really nice curved out aggro-midrange decks, and at least a half dozen games where I got them <5 life, and then they proceeded to poo poo out dragons and I couldn't do anything to get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Corte posted:

Any Canadian players know the best place to purchase booster boxes online?

Facetoface games is probably the best, I've never actually bought a box from them, but when I looked their prices seemed reasonable, and the one time I bought singles it was a smooth process and was fairly quickly shipped.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Out of curiosity, what list are you running right now/whats Kibler's most recent list? Been thinking of switching back over to standard from drafting excessively (played Sligh a bit when it was still viable) and I'm torn between UB/Temur/Jeskai Tokens right now. Looking for inspiration.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Facetoface games is probably the best, I've never actually bought a box from them, but when I looked their prices seemed reasonable, and the one time I bought singles it was a smooth process and was fairly quickly shipped.

I'll second FaceToFace. I pre-ordered FRF singles that shipped and got to me within 3 business days.

Dont know how they are for boxes, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Playing the prerelease online has made me realize just how bomby it is. I've been pretty starved for bombs but had some really nice curved out aggro-midrange decks, and at least a half dozen games where I got them <5 life, and then they proceeded to poo poo out dragons and I couldn't do anything to get past it.

And you wanted a higher ratio of Fate to Khans packs in draft.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I won my first match in a draft yesterday. Closest thing to a match win in sanctioned magic I have :3:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So prereleases online represent bad value? Are they different from paper ones, besides not getting a spinup?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

Out of curiosity, what list are you running right now/whats Kibler's most recent list? Been thinking of switching back over to standard from drafting excessively (played Sligh a bit when it was still viable) and I'm torn between UB/Temur/Jeskai Tokens right now. Looking for inspiration.

I'm currently running this setup. The deck is very painful in terms of life totals, running 4 fetches, a confluence, and 5 painlands with everything else being taplands, but Turn 2 Knuckleblade is completely worth all the hurting you'll take for it. The game immediately shifts into your favor if you stick it on turn 2 on the play: It it survives Bile Blight, triggers ferocious, is massive and full of words that basically 2 for 1 your opponent every time, be it having to double block to force a pump, or the ol' downfall-bounce-counter it on the re-play/thoughtseize it and take 2.

Outside of Knux, the deck really gets rolling on turn 3, which is the turn where you get to play Knux with Stubborn Denial mana up, or slam an Ashcloud Phoenix/Shaman/Polukranos. Poconos is your standard Big Green Meanie, and Ashcloud is your hard to kill bastard which demands either 2 removal spells or something with "exile" in the text, nobody runs Magma Spray, they're lying. Shaman of the Great Hunt is an amazing followup to Knux; odds are your opponent has only played mana dorks or one relevant dude at this point, which means you're either getting a 5/3 with "draw a bunch of cards and make your dudes huge" or Knux is a 5/5 that does all those other things it was doing before. Unless they want to block with mana dorks, be my loving guest.

The 5 slot is your standard red package; Stormbreath Dragon and Man Who Becomes Stormbreath Dragon or Stoke the Flames. Self explanatory, big red dudes that demand an answer or you lose.

Non-creatures include mainboarded removal/counter hate in Stubborn Denial and a Singleton Temur Charm, for blowing out Rhinos and Birds and Some Elves I Guess, the Deck with the third mode, or being a bad mana leak. Can also be good removal depending on your board state and need for countermagic/ignoring little men.

Crater's Claws for the sick blowouts against the grindy decks. Lightning Strike for Jeskai Tempo/Tokens, U/W Heroic, and other various aggro decks. Dig Through Time as a singleton because the card is too good of a "UU: Find Your Wincons" at instant speed to not include at least one in a deck running blue mana.

Sideboard consists of more Crater's Claws, more countermagic, more aggro deck hate because this deck cannot deal with lots of little dudes flying out the gate quickly, Xenagos, Keranos, and Surrak for control matchups. Destructive Revelry for the whip deck.

For sideboard tips: Never side out Knuckleblade, you will always regret it. Polukranos goes out against midrange and control because it doesn't do a whole lot in those matches, it's more for the little decks that can't break through a 5/5 on turn 3, Shaman of the Great Hunt is pretty bad on the draw, Lightning Strike doesn't do jack against grindy matchups against control and Abzan Midrange.

Edit: Also, if you do decide to pick up the RUG to Sweep the Opposition Under, you must understand 3 vital rules of the Frontier.

1: Ferocious is actually a good mechanic, the cards using it are relatively powerful and 4 is a wonderful number for power that you must adore always.
2: Always take the opportunity to talk like a Cowboy. A Russian Cowboy. Somehow.
3: Lament with extreme intensity that Savage Knuckleblade is an Ogre and not a Yeti. :argh:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So prereleases online represent bad value? Are they different from paper ones, besides not getting a spinup?

Most MODO events you can buy product from bots for substantially less real money. A KTK draft on MODO costs less than 9 bucks, but it's 15 if you can't use product. This is because nothing in Khans is more than 10 tix anymore online.

Also, sup Temur buddy above.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 31, 2015

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Prerelease events for FRF are 20 tix + ~5$ token to choose the clan, for 11 - 5 - 1 packs for 4-0 - 3-1 - 2-2 record (at the "competitive" queue).

Release events are 26 tix for 12 - 9 - 3 packs.

Payoff is better at the release tournaments, even when you take higher card prices at the prerelease into account.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

And you wanted a higher ratio of Fate to Khans packs in draft.

It's awesome when you open bombs. :colbert: Khans draft is more stable and strategic but less swingy and exciting.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, yeah, does anyone remember that one glow-y mask guy from Duels of the Planeswalkers? You know....

Yeah, that guy. He was killed in the intro to DotP 2015. He's got a name. And a backstory. That's kinda crazy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Veyrall posted:

So, yeah, does anyone remember that one glow-y mask guy from Duels of the Planeswalkers? You know....

Yeah, that guy. He was killed in the intro to DotP 2015. He's got a name. And a backstory. That's kinda crazy.

Dude is really cool looking and his backstory is pretty rad too. Inquisitor-Turned-Metalwizard meets untimely end to Predator-Gone-Batshit.

Wish he actually got to be A Thing

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
To finish up on super late MODO prerelease chat, the thing about prereleases going forward is that none of them are the "best" since you don't really know what you're going to get in terms of rares.

Its better that way, just pick whatever color (or clan if the set is that way) that you like the best. Whether you open bomb rares in the packs is mostly just random anyways.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
I guess those counterfeits are showing up at SCG Indy: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2uc1hs/scg_indy_chain_of_people_trading_fake_duals_on/ , and I've read some reports from GPSJ. Oh boy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Honestly, I don't know what Wizards expected.. You can't have a format that's played in any way, shape or form, and have cards that can never be printed ever, particularly when the product in question is pieces of cardboard. The Reserved List is poo poo, news at 11. I honestly don't know if it can really last in the long term.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I can't say I particularly mind sufficiently good counterfeits reducing the price of cards that have no business being 200 dollars in the first place.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

Honestly, I don't know what Wizards expected.. You can't have a format that's played in any way, shape or form, and have cards that can never be printed ever, particularly when the product in question is pieces of cardboard. The Reserved List is poo poo, news at 11. I honestly don't know if it can really last in the long term.

Wizards doesn't like the Reserve List either; that's a decision handed down by Hasbro, who have a lot of experience with the horrible that is toy collectors.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Speaking of MODO streams, it's kind of a shame how far it has fallen off. I know when DEs got shut off awhile ago that really harmed streaming, and the move to the new client sort of hurt it too. Was it a thousand cuts that basically killed streaming or was there a big event I missed or forgot?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

DEs?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wizards doesn't like the Reserve List either; that's a decision handed down by Hasbro, who have a lot of experience with the horrible that is toy collectors.
Um, citation needed? The reserved list pre-dates Hasbro iirc and Hasbro's toy divisions will gleefully re-issue any older toys they have the molds for.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Someone brought in some of those fakes to my LGS, you have to be really inexperienced to be fooled by them. They look great in sleeves but the second you touch them you just know its not real.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Angry Grimace posted:

While I agree on the main, people in that Reddit thread did make a really salient point - things like Force and Wasteland are not on the List but they're still exorbitant due to lack of reprints.

And hell, reprints aren't even guaranteed to help (hi, 'goyf).

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Speaking of MODO streams, it's kind of a shame how far it has fallen off. I know when DEs got shut off awhile ago that really harmed streaming, and the move to the new client sort of hurt it too. Was it a thousand cuts that basically killed streaming or was there a big event I missed or forgot?

Eh? I have over twenty Standard DE's listed before Wednesday's downtime.

Edit: I guess you were meaning a temporary stop on DEs or something?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For the uninitiated:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

While I agree on the main, people in that Reddit thread did make a really salient point - things like Force and Wasteland are not on the List but they're still exorbitant due to lack of reprints.

Its certainly not the sole fault of the Reserved List, but if the Reserved List didn't exist i think they'd spend more time thinking about whether a Force reprint was necessary. But honestly, its hard to care as much about the Wasteland/Force thing when a playset of Forces is about 1.25 Undergorund Seas.

bhsman posted:

For the uninitiated:

Daily Events. Where people who are trying play.

"Premier" events refer to MOCS (Magic Online Championship Series) events and PTQs (where you can qualify for the paper Pro Tour online).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 1, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I was just watching Round 1 of the SCG Legacy Open and it was Burn vs Thopter Foundry.

The last turn of Game 3, Thopter Foundry guy has the combo out at 3 life, he activates Thopter Foundry, sacrificing Sword of the Meek. In response to the Foundry activation on the stack, Burn dude casts Fireblast. There's some talk with the judges, and then the game ends. The commentators say that the Thopter guy won, and there was no real way to time the Fireblast to get the kill.

Am I missing something? It seems like the burn spell should have resolved first and won the game there, since Sword is in the graveyard and there's no additional activations to be made.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
As badly as reprints are needed, certainly we've reached a point where the original printing could take the price drops from reprints?
How much would prices drop realistically? We're living in times where certain cards are cheap as poo poo but foil version can be ridiculously more expensive.
Commander and Cube building is proof here will always be people more willing to pay extra for the original or promo versions just to make their deck unique, assuming any reprints are done in new borders or at least with the holostamp.

While I'd never expect them to be reprinted in numbers close to those in a regular expansion or in packs anywhere close to $4, lowered costs overall could be better for everyone involved. More people buying cards, paying fees for tournaments, etc?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BrokenKnees posted:

As badly as reprints are needed, certainly we've reached a point where the original printing could take the price drops from reprints? How much would prices drop realistically? We're living in times where certain cards are cheap as poo poo but foil version can be ridiculously more expensive. Commander and Cube building is proof here will always be people more willing to pay extra for the original or promo versions just to make their deck unique, assuming any reprints are done in new borders or at least with the holostamp. While I'd never expect them to be reprinted in numbers close to those in a regular expansion or in packs anywhere close to $4, lowered costs overall could be better for everyone involved. More people buying cards, paying fees for tournaments, etc?

Honestly, I don't know who here gives two shits about the collection value of some random hoarder. Sure, its a feel-bad, but in the end, more people are getting access to the format, so you get to play more. The reason MMA made prices go "up" was supply and demand. Demand for older cards increased and supply didn't increase enough to keep prices steady or decrease them.

I wish it were like MODO and they'd do flashback reprints of entire sets.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just want WotC to print "you may pay one life and exile a red/white/black/green card instead of paying Force of [X]'s mana cost: Do thing, and then not announce Force of Will.

Then not actually print a Force of Will reprint, but it scares people enough that FoW prices plummet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So some of you might know I'm brewing around Alesha, so pre ordered a set. Through the prerelease and a fat pack I have now opened three, which is probably the most a deck warrents. Just thought it was funny/annoying.

And something I just realised about her backstory, is that it's a reversal of the Mulan trope of a girl pretending to be a boy to go to war.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

So some of you might know I'm brewing around Alesha, so pre ordered a set. Through the prerelease and a fat pack I have now opened three, which is probably the most a deck warrents. Just thought it was funny/annoying.

And something I just realised about her backstory, is that it's a reversal of the Mulan trope of a girl pretending to be a boy to go to war.

So the obvious answer is to announce casting her by saying "Cast Reverse Mulan"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

This deck on stream is one weird brew. Seems to use Young Pyro to generate tokens to sac to Dread Return to reanimate things along with bolts, innocent blood, forbidden alchemy.

He totally boned himself with a dumb attack into two Vials and lost several turns of lead time on grave titan beats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lunsku posted:

Eh? I have over twenty Standard DE's listed before Wednesday's downtime.

Edit: I guess you were meaning a temporary stop on DEs or something?

Yeah DEs got shut off for a bit last year while they ??? to make sure the next major event wouldn't crash (it crashed)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

qbert posted:

So I was just watching Round 1 of the SCG Legacy Open and it was Burn vs Thopter Foundry.

The last turn of Game 3, Thopter Foundry guy has the combo out at 3 life, he activates Thopter Foundry, sacrificing Sword of the Meek. In response to the Foundry activation on the stack, Burn dude casts Fireblast. There's some talk with the judges, and then the game ends. The commentators say that the Thopter guy won, and there was no real way to time the Fireblast to get the kill.

Am I missing something? It seems like the burn spell should have resolved first and won the game there, since Sword is in the graveyard and there's no additional activations to be made.

I'm missing the same thing as you. Here's a video link to the time it was happening:

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/618582124?t=43m20s

Andersen is at 3 life, activates thopter foundry, sacrificing sword of the meek

Top of Stack
Thopter Foundry
Bottom of Stack

then in response, Hodson Fireblasts Andersen's face

Top of Stack
Fireblast
Thopter Foundry
Bottom of Stack

Unless he had a backup sword in play, I don't see how Andersen stays alive.

Edit: image for people who don't want to open the video

Devor fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 1, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Devor posted:

I'm missing the same thing as you. Here's a video link to the time it was happening:

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/618582124?t=43m20s

Andersen is at 3 life, activates thopter foundry, sacrificing sword of the meek

Top of Stack
Thopter Foundry
Bottom of Stack

then in response, Hodson Fireblasts Andersen's face

Top of Stack
Fireblast
Thopter Foundry
Bottom of Stack

Unless he had a backup sword in play, I don't see how Andersen stays alive.

Edit: image for people who don't want to open the video

My guess is that Hodson won that game and the commentators got it wrong.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

We're not privy to the conversation at the table, its possible the burn player jumped the gun or made some other timing error.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Spiderdrake posted:

Um, citation needed? The reserved list pre-dates Hasbro iirc and Hasbro's toy divisions will gleefully re-issue any older toys they have the molds for.

WOTC broke the reserved list a few times by making foil versions of cards. Hasbro stepped in because while they'll massively print current things, once it's out of print; it's out of print to them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I did the same thing with Shu Yun. Preordered a set. Proceeded to open 5 of them over the first two weeks the set was out...

About Alesha, it really isn't reverse Mulan. Alesha just identifies as female. It isn't a ruse needed to participate in battle. More than half of the human Mardu creatures are female, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kyrosiris posted:

They reprinted Force last year. You don't want to spend $700 on worse art?

qbert posted:

All he has to do is sac another artifact to get Sword back. Thopter Sword is basically unstoppable once it gets started.

Based on the picture, all he has to do is sac a Thopter, Sword comes back, and repeat the cycle.

• Locked thread