Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
For someone whose Russian vocabulary consists of 'сука блять', how hard of a time would I have with the new OGSE release? Is there anything that would gently caress over a 0.6.9.2 vet due to me not knowing Russian?

e: more like a director's cut if anything
VVVV

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I view Lost Alpha as basically the results of giving a random group of developers all the resources, plot outline, and dialogue scripts of Shadow of Chernobyl and asking them to make a game with what they've got. Most of the base game is there, but everything looks and plays different and the plot follows a somewhat different structure. Alternate universe, basically? A Goldeneye Reloaded-style remake?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've read some of the original SoC outlines and Lost Alpha does some really, really weird things with them.

For example, Sin were originally supposed to be incredibly fanatical religious members, sort of like what the Monolith would be, but they were originally a rather benign religious faction, sort of like travelling preachers or what have you, that somehow became what they are now. They sort of vanished for a while then turned up again horribly disfigured and crazy. I think speculation is that they were all under the thrall of a particularly powerful controller (perhaps one of the first made)

There was also Last Day/Final Day which were originally sort of like Clear Sky, in that they were trying to figure out the secrets of the Zone, but only because they figure it's a sign of the end times and want to usher in the apocalypse. They were sort of like terrorists, I guess,.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Been playing CoP with some advice from Ddraig. Running Arsenal Overhaul and CoP Reborn, but I have a question. I can't sell any guns that are only midly damaged which I remember being able to do, also things seem to cost a bunch more. It costs 3k RU to get to Yannov for example when I remember my last play through it cost 1k. Is this part of the pack, if so, it would've been nice to know :\

Also the stashes seem to have been messed with, and replaced with poo poo guns. The one outside of yannov just has a skorpion :(

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2015

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

TheTrend posted:

Been playing CoP with some advice from Ddraig. Running Arsenal Overhaul and CoP Reborn, but I have a question. I can't sell any guns that are only midly damaged which I remember being able to do, also things seem to cost a bunch more. It costs 3k RU to get to Yannov for example when I remember my last play through it cost 1k. Is this part of the pack, if so, it would've been nice to know :\

Also the stashes seem to have been messed with, and replaced with poo poo guns. The one outside of yannov just has a skorpion :(

You get the 1k travel price to yanov once you bring the guide some military maps of the area to improve his navigation.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Think I've got the trade system sorted out for the LA addon now. There's a few minor traders that I'm still not entirely sure what to do with, mainly the trader in the Lost Factory and Petrenko/Ivancov. I'm thinking of making the latter two sell ammo and a few minor weapons, maybe.

Lost Factory is SoC Yantar, I guess, and is pretty much an ecologist base under siege by various things so I'm thinking of making it similar to Sakharov but with more emphasis on medicine/weapons and less experimental tech.

Here's the change list so far:

quote:

* Built on pack of the SLAM/Serious Fix pack. Most changes present in that will be present here, unless I implemented a better solution.
* Added customization pack. Not 100% perfect, as there's a few NPCs that haven't really been changed (I suspect these are specific unique NPCs I haven't found in the character_desc files), but for the most part you will see much more varied stalkers.
* General changes to dialog to make meaning more clear
* Implemented weapon explosions from OGSE
* Added in artifact detectors from Autumn Aurora 2 (not perfect at the moment, later detectors don't really display map spots as I believe they should, they just detect more and have a greater radius)
* Implemented autodoctor functions from OGSE.
* Implemented biodetector from OGSE. Added in firmware functionality from OGSE 0.6.9.3
* Implemented horror time from OGSE. Now called psychic sickness, affects stalker performance slightly (they will not sing, play music and will be slightly more reckless in combat)
* Implemented 'slow/poison medicine' functions from OGSE.
* Implemented mines and mine detectors from OGSE.
* Added in more food items. Adds a tiny bit more variety, don't expect anything on par with Misery.
* Changed gasmasks and gasmask functionality. Gasmasks are now 'belt' items and will protect you as long as they're on your belt. Certain suits also have integrated gas masks that will allow you to breathe in areas filled with gas. For obvious reasons you can't wear a belt gasmask with a suit that has an integrated mask.
* Revamped trade system. May not be perfect, looking for feedback!
* Replaced flashlight slot with binocular slot in inventory. You don't really get new torches, but you do get new binoculars, so this is a useful change!
* Added in dynamic vision script from OGSE. May possibly break the already fragile AI, if anyone encounters problems please let me know.
* Modified a few stashes to contain new items.
* Stashes now populated from game start. Finding the info will still give you the location, but if you stumble across a stash organically it will probably be full.
* Changed gear in the drawer when you start the game. You will now get a very basic loadout, but you can opt for an 'easier' loadout that will give you slightly better items if you choose the option.
* Certain weapons now have a hacked in 'digital nightvision'. Both the Army binoculars and the OICW will give a modified night vision effect if you use their scopes at night time. Can be changed to always be on.
* Changed condition for Sin being pissed off at you. You now need a very, very low reputation with them as opposed to just killing specific groups. Cat hair moustache moments are not good!
* Added in alternative method of meeting Sin. They have sympathy for kindred spirits who have been touched by the Zone.
* Added more music to Bar.
* Actor can now be zombified. Sakharov can help you if you become zombified.
* Added in artifact activation
* General overhaul to mutant sounds. They should now be more distinct. No more mistaking that flesh for a dog.
* A few new dialogs added to PDA conversations with stalkers. Should while away the boring moments when you're stuck on top of a car waiting for the dogs to get bored of you.
* Added in player-created stashes and GPS beacons.
* New outfits (OGSE) and weapons (SLAM). Outfits can now be looted from dead stalkers.
* Playable guitars/harmonicas
* Added in dynamic huds. Needs slight tweak.
* Experimental: enabled a few disabled features already present in Lost Alpha.
* General change to anomaly names in encyclopaedias and dialog as a tribute to Roadside Picnic.

Plans for the future include:

* Implementing proper upgrades for suits/weapons.
* Implementing mutant abilities from OGSE (having a few minor problems with this at the moment)
* Implementing more artifacts, including several special ones.
* Changing Lost Factory to be more interesting and less based on timers.
* General changes to spawns.
* Expanding on Merc storyline.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Is there a link somewhere to your updated Faction Wars mod?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

New and exciting issues!!! So I just merc'ed the merc camp again usuing CoP reborn and Arsenal Overhaul (though I think this is related to the latter) and the scopes on the guns i looted from the bosses are fuuuuuuuucked up.

The first image is me aiming at the door for reference:

the second image is where the scope says I am aiming:

Who can tell me wtf?

Seems to be a resizing problem depending on some graphics stuff. I think I have it fixed but i'm waiting to download the mod all over again. :argh:

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 31, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

gggiiimmmppp posted:

deployable autoturrets sounds more like SGM kitchen sink excess than anything to do with misery

Yeah, it seems kinda odd to go for the realism of "mutants really hurt you", "your armor really isn't that good" and combine it with the auto turrets from Aliens.

Is it a gritty, realistic survival game or an arcadey blast-everything with sci-fi weapons game?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, it seems kinda odd to go for the realism of "mutants really hurt you", "your armor really isn't that good" and combine it with the auto turrets from Aliens.

Is it a gritty, realistic survival game or an arcadey blast-everything with sci-fi weapons game?

Autoturrets area actually really easy to make these days. IFF is the hard part. If your IFF settings are 'everything but the dude carrying the remote control pendant', I could make one in my garage in a few weeks.

That said, they do break my fairly strained sense of disbelief most of the time. They're 'russian hard' addons, specifically made to cause you to quicksave/load a dozen times to get past.

The geonazis mod for CoP has been pretty sweet so far. Some of the addin quests are pretty brutal, but proper quicksave/load, combined with really early access to the VSS Vintar make them a lot less of a bitch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just plain don't like the mods that try to go for realistic injury. Along with many of them failing to understand that "realism" is not just dropping dead from one or two bullets (it would be better simulated by a random dice roll that varies between "instant death" and "you're mostly fine" and "no noticeable effect but you'll die in a few hours" for a lot of rounds, especially pistols), video games just don't have the same flexibility and speed of movement that real people have. In real life, I'm never stymied by slightly too low cover because I'm not locked to one or two fixed crouch heights and I can still move when dynamically leaning around. I can fling myself over cover without needing to clunkily and slowly climb over with my hands, and my ability to climb isn't restricted to how high of an object I can jump straight on top of with just my legs. And I don't need to turn my whole body around to fire in different directions.

So a lot of "realistic" difficulty levels just end up being needlessly frustrating, with the player dying to situations that never would have occurred "realistically."

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

TheTrend posted:

New and exciting issues!!! So I just merc'ed the merc camp again usuing CoP reborn and Arsenal Overhaul (though I think this is related to the latter) and the scopes on the guns i looted from the bosses are fuuuuuuuucked up.

The first image is me aiming at the door for reference:

the second image is where the scope says I am aiming:

Who can tell me wtf?

Seems to be a resizing problem depending on some graphics stuff. I think I have it fixed but i'm waiting to download the mod all over again. :argh:

You probably didn't install the 16:9 scope textures

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Robot Randy posted:

I have the same problem and I just reinstalled the 16:9 scope textures to no avail. I'm just glad I enjoy iron sights as much as I do so it's not going to be a big deal to me except for when I have to assassinate the merc leader and scientist. :(

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Robot Randy posted:

I through on the dx 11 16:9 patch after having to do a clean reinstall because my saves got corrupted. So I installed Arsenal Overhaul 2.4 and the accompanying Atmosfear and Nature mods that come with it, I seem to have lost the complex UI though that allowed me to toggle subtitles for everything, so now all the NPCs speak Russian, which I like, but I can't get the subtitles toggled to read what they're saying.

Also last time I installed I had Pripyat Reborn splash screens and I don't seem to have those anymore with this install. Is that a separate mod that I installed in a booze and ambien soaked haze one night or is it all incorporated and I just didn't do a complete reinstall?

Google foo seems to indicate the Pripyat Reborn addon was part of the Arsenal Overhaul 2.3 mod and the most curret is 2.4 so that kind of answers that. 2.3 seemed to have played a lot better and include the complex menu options that my install of 2.4 doesn't seem to include.

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it turns out Lost Alpha's custom keybinding functions actually do work and I'm just an idiot and didn't understand how to use them!

Here's a quick little mini-mod that adds a car radio into the game!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/soho3d8n37tgtp7/Car_Radio.7z

As far as I'm aware there's only one mod that changes the bind_car.script and I've already added those fixes so it should be compatible with everything.

Unfortunately it seems that you can't really change the keybindings ingame so I've chosen the relatively innocuous "c" button to switch the radio on/off.

Obviously will only work if you're in a car.

So when you're tearing down Darkscape in a rickety old banger with the military attacking you now you can do so while listening to cheesy 80's pop and Russian rock.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
lol, that's one of my favorite things about Oblivion Lost, the cars are drat near indestructible and as long as you stay inside you're pretty much safe, just tear through places and mow down the enemy

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Even better in OL is using the old hatckback that has the trunk in the front of the car and damaging the front end enough to where the hood flies off and bodies get stuck in the trunk, weighing it down too much to move. Two monolithians stuck in the trunk means the car will be tipping on its front wheels, unable to move. :v:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Now that I've got a good grasp of how the custom keybindings work, including the fact you can create context specific bindings based on certain conditions (say, if you're in a vehicle) then I can probably port OGSE 0.6.9.3's vastly revamped BTR over when they have an official release.

This BTR is pretty loving cool.

It has:

Automatic firing mode (you need a special command module to use it unless you've got someone in it with you, at which point you can tell them to fire)
Manual targeting mode, with fully binded attack keys (mouse one is fire, mouse two is trying to find a new target)
Integrated night vision so you can see in the dark.
Plus a whole other host of cool features.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
BTRs, auto turrets, etc. Now all someone needs to do is a total conversion style mod where you play from the viewpoint of the military who has to try to contain and control the borders of the zone from mutants to smugglers.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

I'm looking to play CoP again and want to grab a big mod like SGM. What do you guys think is the most up to date megamod for Call of Pripyat is?

Should I just grab the several year old SGM 2.2, which I've already played? I feel like there must be something newer. I did see someone made a combination of SGM and Misery called Catacylsm, but I've tried Misery a long time ago and I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

vaginal cramps fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 5, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's a really loving cool mod I've mentioned before called "Sky Anomaly" that is for COP. It's built on the back of ARS but adds a ton of custom anomalies and such in an attempt to make the Zone seem like a much weirder place.

Doesn't add much beyond what ARS adds other than the vast array of new anomalies, but it's a fun ride nonetheless.

https://yadi.sk/d/_C8gwnW788IRx (link is cool, basically the Russian version of dropbox)

The ARS english translation floating around should work fine for Sky Anomaly, since it's basically just ARS with new anomalies. Virtually nothing else is changed apart from starting gear etc.

Some problems with my sister came up so I haven't had as much free time as I normally do. The LA addon is nearly finished. Just need to give the trade lists a quick once over and add a few weapons that are missing (otherwise you won't be able to get them) and tweak the weapons slightly and it should be ready to release.

quote:

* Built on back of the SLAM/Serious Fix pack. Most changes present in that will be present here, unless I implemented a better solution.
* Added customization pack. Not 100% perfect, as there's a few NPCs that haven't really been changed (I suspect these are specific unique NPCs I haven't found in the character_desc files), but for the most part you will see much more varied stalkers.
* General changes to dialog to make meaning more clear
* Implemented weapon explosions from OGSE
* Added in artifact detectors from Autumn Aurora 2 (not perfect at the moment, later detectors don't really display map spots as I believe they should, they just detect more and have a greater radius)
* Implemented autodoctor functions from OGSE.
* Implemented biodetector from OGSE. Added in firmware functionality from OGSE 0.6.9.3
* Implemented horror time from OGSE. Now called psychic sickness, affects stalker performance slightly (they will not sing, play music and will be slightly more reckless in combat)
* Implemented mines and mine detectors from OGSE.
* Added in more food items. Adds a tiny bit more variety, don't expect anything on par with Misery.
* Changed gasmasks and gasmask functionality. Gasmasks are now 'belt' items and will protect you as long as they're on your belt. Certain suits also have integrated gas masks that will allow you to breathe in areas filled with gas. For obvious reasons you can't wear a belt gasmask with a suit that has an integrated mask.
* Revamped trade system. May not be perfect, looking for feedback!
* Replaced flashlight slot with binocular slot in inventory. You don't really get new torches, but you do get new binoculars, so this is a useful change!
* Added in dynamic vision script from OGSE. May possibly break the already fragile AI, if anyone encounters problems please let me know.
* Modified a few stashes to contain new items.
* Stashes now populated from game start. Finding the info will still give you the location, but if you stumble across a stash organically it will probably be full.
* Changed gear in the drawer when you start the game. You will now get a very basic loadout, but you can opt for an 'easier' loadout that will give you slightly better items if you choose the option.
* Certain weapons now have a hacked in 'digital nightvision'. Both the Army binoculars and the OICW will give a modified night vision effect if you use their scopes at night time. Can be changed to always be on.
* Changed condition for Sin being pissed off at you. You now need a very, very low reputation with them as opposed to just killing specific groups. Cat hair moustache moments are not good!
* Added in alternative method of meeting Sin. They have sympathy for kindred spirits who have been touched by the Zone.
* Added more music to Bar.
* Minor changes during emissions. Will be expanded upon later, but the framework is in place for most things.
* Added in usable flares. Slightly related to the previous point.
* Tweaked weapon parameters to make each weapon slightly more unique.
* Added in car radio. Should be explained on getting into your first car.
* Actor can now be zombified. Sakharov can help you if you become zombified.
* Added in artifact activation
* General overhaul to mutant sounds. They should now be more distinct. No more mistaking that flesh for a dog.
* A few new dialogs added to PDA conversations with stalkers. Should while away the boring moments when you're stuck on top of a car waiting for the dogs to get bored of you.
* Added in player-created stashes and GPS beacons.
* New outfits (OGSE) and weapons (SLAM). Outfits can now be looted from dead stalkers.
* Playable guitars/harmonicas
* Added in dynamic huds. Needs slight tweak.
* Experimental: enabled a few disabled features already present in Lost Alpha.
* General change to anomaly names in encyclopaedias and dialog as a tribute to Roadside Picnic.

These are changes that I can remember from the top of my head. There are probably many more undocumented that I've forgotten about.

Most elements of the game can be configured via new options found in lost_alpha_cfg.ltx in the config\lost_alpha folder. Scroll to the bottom, most elements are controllable and has a bit of a text description about what they do.

Plans for the future include:

* Implementing proper upgrades for suits/weapons.
* Optional hardcore mode.
* Further expanding on Emission behaviour, including custom night vision functionality.
* Implementing mutant abilities from OGSE (having a few minor problems with this at the moment)
* Implementing slow/poison medicine functions (having problems with these breaking scripts at the moment)
* Implementing more artifacts, including several special ones.
* Changing Lost Factory to be more interesting and less based on timers.
* General changes to spawns.
* Expanding on Merc storyline.

The slow/poison custom functions from OGSE are causing other scripts to break so I haven't implemented them yet. I know OGSE 0.6.9.3 has a better implementation that will work better but I'd feel like a dick using it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ddraig posted:

The LA addon is nearly finished. Just need to give the trade lists a quick once over and add a few weapons that are missing (otherwise you won't be able to get them) and tweak the weapons slightly and it should be ready to release.

I'm looking forward to this as I needed to restart LA a while ago because the sin (?) guys in the mine killed me on sight because I hosed something up. Great work!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now there's two ways to get into see Sin:

There's the standard way, which is now having a decent reputation with them (it doesn't instantly kill you if you kill the dark stalkers in the Cordon, but it will severely dampen your rep with them obviously)

You can also be a Zombie when you go into the Mines. They'll knock you out, and give you an injection that will temporarily remove it, with a permanent removal if you do their bidding, otherwise you'll revert back and they probably won't help you that much

There's also a little easter egg if you check the stashes in the Cordon. One has something special.

e: Here's some details about the planned 'Hardcore' mode that I plan on adding in the future:

Basically I've taken inspiration from Misery's 'Dark Mode' and made it not suck rear end. Basically, certain weather conditions and being in close contact with poisonous gas will adversely affect your health by either containing radioactive particles or outright poisoning you.

Gas masks/suits with masks will protect you against most of this, provided they're of a good condition and the filters haven't worn away.

Basically heavy exposure to radioactivity/gas will cause the filters in your suit/mask to get hosed up over time so they'll need replacing (like in Metro 2033). Compromised suits will also not protect as effectively they should, due to cuts, holes or other things so it's sort of encouraging you to use certain suits for combat situations and others for adverse weather/conditions instead of just wearing a SEVA all the time and calling it quits.

Will be entirely optional, of course, with a simple toggle in the options.

Right now I've got it set to very foggy weather, heavy rain and storms as being the main catalysts that will require you to wear a mask or something else.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2015

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Doing autumn aurora for the second time and I just now realized that you can equip cat tails to your belt for absolutely no reason. Marked One just made the Zone murrier, purrier, and furrier than any stalker mod has allowed before.

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 6, 2015

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Been doing some coding for CoP's new "Open XRay engine".

Here are some recent results (done in fast-motion, but you get the idea): http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-weapon-renewal/videos/dynamic-tree-sway

If someone has Platinum, ask if it's okay to link to the source code and I'll post a link to the Open Xray engine (my changes are incorporated in main branch, except new ballistics, but it's easy to navigate between branches since it's Github).

@DDraig: That sounds awesome :) I haven't fired up Lost Alpha since it's initial release, but I'm interested in trying it again with your changes. ETA?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now I'm sort of restricted by crappy internet limits and being a responsible person (this sucks)

Right now I'm cleaning things up a bit. Getting rid of extraneous elements, using the best quality meshes for weapons I can find (usually from LURK or LWO for pistols) and I'm going to do a very fast runthrough to see if that script breaking bug has been eliminated entirely.

I also really, really want to figure out how to disable the PDA functionality. Right now I've got functional 'blackout' elements for:

Lights (world lights in particular, Lost Alpha allows lights to flicker/switch off during certain conditions but this is going to be a pain in the rear end to implement properly)
Flashlights
Mightvision
Various custom scopes
Radios in all forms
Exoskeletons (mainly getting rid of additional weight carry, I did have the idea of having them 'lock up' and making it impossible to move but that's kind a of a dick move)

My dream is during an emission for the Zone to go into a functional electronic blackout so the only thing you can rely on are your guns, medicine and flares for light.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2015

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

I also really, really want to figure out how to disable the PDA functionality. Right now I've got functional 'blackout' elements for:

If I understand the file correctly, doesn't lua_help.script for LA define a way to turn it off?

Specifically, line 3703.

I don't know LUA though so I could easily be wrong.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

Is there a link somewhere to your updated Faction Wars mod?

Still can't find it, can only find the old version without any of the new changes you've mentioned, which is what looks like the one in the OP is as well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is the last version that is pretty much stable.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7fk9i32dcc14el/The+Faction+War.7z

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6jvv4pspbj1hi3p/The+Faction+War+patch1.7z

The patch is just a bunch of visual stuff.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Thanks!

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for a mod that just adds a lot of stashes and stuff to find in those stashes? I find that I have the most fun just searching around random buildings looking for stashes with new cool weapons and stuff.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'd suggest having a look on MoDB, or the stalker forums at gmc.

Personally I'm enjoying the chaos that is sgm 2,2 with monster 6 on top. the Jupiter plant has become a heaving mass of any and every mutant, with pitched battles between all factions.
I've had to go back to the entrance a couple of times, as I have been loaded down with :stuff:

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Is there anywhere one can download the source code for that Open X-Ray Engine? Or get a link to the github or something?
I work as a "code review" guy and have access to HP Fortify, would love to run it on the source to pick up unreleased resources and other code-quality issues and help fix some bugs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Koobze posted:

Is there anywhere one can download the source code for that Open X-Ray Engine? Or get a link to the github or something?
I work as a "code review" guy and have access to HP Fortify, would love to run it on the source to pick up unreleased resources and other code-quality issues and help fix some bugs.

The original repo is at https://github.com/OpenXRay/ but by far the most active fork seems to be at https://github.com/avoitishin/xray-16

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

v1ld posted:

The original repo is at https://github.com/OpenXRay/ but by far the most active fork seems to be at https://github.com/avoitishin/xray-16

I guess we can post the source here, cool :)

avoitishin's branch is indeed the main and most active branch for Open Xray these days. Be sure to keep an eye on Revoluca's and HighFlex's forks as well (I also add stuff from time to time. The tree swaying is mine, as well as a few other features you can find in the Swartz27 branch. Adding snow right now so people can have a proper Winter version of Absolute Nature).

If you do use the code please keep it open source by forking the code and putting your changes there people. People who keep things closed-source are complete cunts (looking at you Shoker and Gunslinger teams). Let's all work together to make Stalker a better game.

In addition to my own UWR mod using Open Xray, Call of Chernobyl and Redux/Wormwood will also be using it. I'm sure more will follow and more coders will start contributing.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Things I like about SoC :

1) Anomalies are all over the place, and not just in designated areas
2) With an invisible anomaly mod, most of the low-grade anomalies (Springboards and such) become an actual threat. They can't kill me, but i can't just run breakneck through the zone anymore. I have to proceed with caution and watch the screen to see if the static (What i always thought was sort of a 'stalker sense' akin to Roadside Picnic and how the stalkers there know where anomalies are) shows up. It makes the world feel so much more hostile.
3) With a mod (Oblivion Lost IIRC) Anomalies randomizing location after a blowout. I liked the fact that after a blowout occurs I couldn't take for granted that the anomalies I knew about would still be in their familiar spots.
4) Artifacts spawning all over the place and not just in one particular spot. Especially useful with Oblivion Lost because it'd make artifacts spawn from Anomalies. I especially liked it when there'd be an artifact that I couldn't reach because it was protected by an anomaly and I'd have to use a grenade or bullets or something to get to it.

Things I liked about CoP :

1) Detectors. I liked the idea of invisible anomalies and artifacts and having to rely on a detector to find them.
2) The upgrade system was fantastic and I loved it despite the fact that I still don't understand what some of the statistics (Flatness?) mean.

I can't decide whether I like the maps from SoC or CoP more, because they're both fantastic in their own right. SoC had smaller areas but more of them, CoP had fewer areas but much larger. All the areas in both games were distinct and had so much to explore and were so appealing.

I also can't decide whether I prefer the randomized caches/stashes from SoC more or less than the static ones from CoP. Static ones usually had better loot but once you found them all that was it. Randomized ones were interesting because there would ALWAYS be a couple to look into.

My ideal game is a mixture of SoC and CoP taking the best from both and making it into one single perfect STALKER game.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

khy posted:

My ideal game is a mixture of SoC and CoP taking the best from both and making it into one single perfect STALKER game.

You're looking for Call of Chernobyl.

Currently they have enough testers, but it wouldn't hurt to apply to be one when it opens up again: http://forum.epicstalker.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=130

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

khy posted:

2) The upgrade system was fantastic and I loved it despite the fact that I still don't understand what some of the statistics (Flatness?) mean.

Flatness measures bullet drop. It's VERY noticeable with the VSS. More flatness = bullet travels further before dropping.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Just got a new video card and a 1440p monitor so I decided to fire off SOC again.

The mouse moves much slower when the menu is brought up than in 1080p, although regular gameplay is the same speed. Is there a fix for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So in TFW I have 3 separate games, one as Bandit, one as Defiance, and one as Merc, at this point I'm guessing unless you're military there's no way of getting anything better than the Sunrise/Merc Sunrise? And as a Bandit, is there any way of buying better gear than what your garbage trader sells if you're hostile with Loners? Because that basically rules out the train depot.