Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

Here is a crazy idea, are the crowds doing anything except being there and chanting? If not, then no one needs to do anything.

Being there can still be quite a pain in the rear end if "there" is a road or public space other people need to use. If protestors are looking to clog up the steps of the courthouse for a few hours all the police really need is a couple of observers to report if things get out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That and to make sure nobody walks into traffic.

I wonder how long before a Peterloo massacre happens again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

In theory the police come and arrest them, that has nothing to do with a protest, you also don't need "advanced tactics" in order to arrest an individual who is destroying property.

I'm pretty FTP but if the people destroying property are within a mob of thousands of people, then you probably do need different tactics than if it's just one rear end in a top hat breaking into a business where a couple of deputies can just wander up and cuff the guy and maybe deal with a small fight.

To take it to extremes, imagine only dispatching cops on a call-by-call basis to try to arrest individuals without bothering the group during a soccer hooligan riot. That would be dumb as hell, and even European police forces that very, very rarely kill people don't do that.

edit for autocorrect issues

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 31, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mlmp08 posted:

Being there can still be quite a pain in the rear end if "there" is a road or public space other people need to use. If protestors are looking to clog up the steps of the courthouse for a few hours all the police really need is a couple of observers to report if things get out of hand.

"People" are using it. To protest. What you mean is "other more important people need to use" it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DARPA posted:

"People" are using it. To protest. What you mean is "other more important people need to use" it.

Oh, cool, so I imagine that if protestors decided to block off your street, preventing you from getting to work in a car* in order to protest that NASA needs to admit the moon landing was fake, you wouldn't want them removed by force if necessary? In case you think streets are special, what if NAMBLA decided to shut down the park where kids usually play for a protest? Or if PETA shut down the dog park?

This is the kind of asinine, childish poo poo that makes those of us who really, really want police culture to change look like clowns.

*If you come back saying "I walk/train/bike to work :smug:" then imagine for a second that you are a person who relies on a car to commute.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DARPA posted:

There are a number of perfectly good reasons why it is generally illegal to stand in the middle of the highway and yell at cars.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why should a crowd of loud, obnoxious 20 somethings have more of a right to stand in the middle of the road than I do to get to work?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

People should just not be allowed to protest in large attention-getting numbers (say, bigger than 4-5 people) because it does nothing but inconvenience people. What is wrong with these protesting people anyway, just go do your jobs like the rest of us.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

People should just not be allowed to protest in large attention-getting numbers (say, bigger than 4-5 people) because it does nothing but inconvenience people. What is wrong with these protesting people anyway, just go do your jobs like the rest of us.
Yeah man, everybody should just be able to gently caress up vital public infrastructure any time they feel angry about taxes or fluoride or whatever. It's a massive infringement on my rights that I'm not allowed to chain myself to an abortion clinic door or wave my sign on the runway at Dulles.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah man, everybody should just be able to gently caress up vital public infrastructure any time they feel angry about taxes or fluoride or whatever. It's a massive infringement on my rights that I'm not allowed to chain myself to an abortion clinic door or wave my sign on the runway at Dulles.

Yeah lots of protests going on about fluoride lol :allears:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Feral Integral posted:

BRB protesting the state of healthcare in this country by blocking in all the exits from the ambulance motorpool. This is ok, right?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mlmp08 posted:

BRB protesting the state of healthcare in this country by blocking in all the exits from the ambulance motorpool. This is ok, right?

Holy poo poo is that a thing that happened?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

The PNW is very angry about fluoride. Also gluten.

Basically they're all hippies and idiots and that cop that decided to randomly OC a punch of people walking on the sidewalk will probably blame her actions on the guy with the cellphone and her EMF sensitivity.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

People blocking all the exits from the ambulance motorpool should be shot with machine guns , duh! they arent people, they are inconveniences

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Basically they're all hippies and idiots

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feral Integral posted:

If you've spent enough time in the Idiots in social Media thread, you wouldn't be surprised if there were.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, since there's the possibility fluoride protesters will block ambulances we better tear gas these college kids. Slippery slope and all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Your convenience is less than nothing compared to the right to assemble.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Feral Integral posted:

People blocking all the exits from the ambulance motorpool should be shot with machine guns , duh! they arent people, they are inconveniences

You're why this thread is bad, hth.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Your convenience is less than nothing compared to the right to assemble.
Not being able to make other peoples' lives miserable is not a substantive infringement of your right to assemble.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 1, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
A great way to win general public support for your cause is protesting in a fashion that severely inconveniences that same public. It's why all those recent major highway shutdown protests worked so well. :rolleyes:.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So are we just going to ignore that yet again when a cop commits a felony, he isn't actually charged with one?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Untagged posted:

A great way to win general public support for your cause is protesting in a fashion that severely inconveniences that same public. It's why all those recent major highway shutdown protests worked so well. :rolleyes:.

I agree! The most historically successful protests never bothered the public they were trying to reach at all!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bango skank posted:

Welp, since there's the possibility fluoride protesters will block ambulances we better tear gas these college kids. Slippery slope and all.

This kind of idiocy is what makes adults who think cops are out of control look like whiny kids.

It turns out it's possible to think that police need serious reforms without literally arguing that any and all assembly should just be ignored or that it's not idiotic to ask "why do cops even exist?" all the time.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KomradeX posted:

So are we just going to ignore that yet again when a cop commits a felony, he isn't actually charged with one?
Sorry, we got distracted by a stupid pedantic derail.

Cop is very bad and NYC is terrible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nosfereefer posted:

I agree! The most historically successful protests never bothered the public they were trying to reach at all!

The best way to protest is to sit at home and say "I wish things were better" out loud over and over. The Secret will take care of the rest.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There seems to be a disconnect where people think that having a legal recourse against protests that shut down public infrastructure is the exact same as saying that no one should ever protest. If protest is brutally crushed, the state is a bad state. If protest has no recourse at all, it's kind of meaningless, as the crazy cat lady could shut down an interstate for no reason at all.

This isn't hard.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

This kind of idiocy is what makes adults who think cops are out of control look like whiny kids.

It turns out it's possible to think that police need serious reforms without literally arguing that any and all assembly should just be ignored or that it's not idiotic to ask "why do cops even exist?" all the time.
Pretending all protests inevitably lead to the raving hordes seizing control of vital public resources and using it as an excuse to crack down on any form of civil disobedience surely makes you look like an adult and not an out of touch moron.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bango skank posted:

Pretending all protests inevitably lead to the raving hordes seizing control of vital public resources and using it as an excuse to crack down on any form of civil disobedience surely makes you look like an adult and not an out of touch moron.

Hey go find where I ever wrote that. Good luck

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Cops "controlling" crowds is just code for silencing undesirables, either by keeping protests as quiet as possible or - at the other end of the spectrum, turning them into riots to discredit the message.

Cops should not control crowds. Cops should protect crowds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I guess cops should protect crowds of the majority who organize to block minorities from getting to work. lol if cops really worked that way, it would be the worst poo poo ever.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sorry, we got distracted by a stupid pedantic derail.

Cop is very bad and NYC is terrible.

Oh in sorry I didn't realize you just wanted to keep going with a stupid pendantic detail instead of looking at yet another case of cops getting cover for crimes that regular people would receive the full weight of the law for.

Or discussing that the NYPD seems to think they actually are an occupation army.

Or do you just not think there is a problem with this cop not getting charged with a felony?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

KomradeX posted:

Oh in sorry I didn't realize you just wanted to keep going with a stupid pendantic detail instead of looking at yet another case of cops getting cover for crimes that regular people would receive the full weight of the law for.

Or discussing that the NYPD seems to think they actually are an occupation army.

Or do you just not think there is a problem with this cop not getting charged with a felony?

lol

edit: sorry for the low-content post, I could just hear shrieking when I read this post

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 1, 2015

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Hey go find where I ever wrote that. Good luck
Go look up where I asked why cops exist.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol

edit: sorry for the low-content post, I could just hear shrieking when I read this post

:jerkbag: okay sure, whatever.

Let's go back to having bullshit arguments instead of discussing an actual issue and event.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KomradeX posted:

I was sincere when I said that cop is a bad man.

NYC is an inhuman city-scale cesspit ruled by inbred East Coast aristocracy and nouveau riche Wall Street psychopaths ceaselessly fawned over by a throng of bourgie hipster sycophants while they poo poo down on the world protected by an army of blue-jacketed bullyboys. If you aren't one of the above the only reason you are even allowed in their towering hive of misery is so you can deliver them an authentic, fair trade, organic, gluten free Moldovan dinner on Christmas Day and get stiffed on the tip.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

KomradeX posted:

Let's go back to having bullshit arguments instead of discussing an actual issue and event.

Go back? Where you been for the last few hundred pages. Welcome to the D&D party thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not being able to make other peoples' lives miserable is not a substantive infringement of your right to assemble.

Do you really think impediments to convenience or public infrastructure was the primary motive for this unit's creation?

Jerob
Mar 4, 2007
Guys! Guys! If you're not down with all protest, every where, all the time you are basically saying we should be locked into cubicles and fed our own waste. There can be absolutely no nuance or circumstance considered in your opinions!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerob posted:

Guys! Guys! If you're not down with all protest, every where, all the time you are basically saying we should be locked into cubicles and fed our own waste. There can be absolutely no nuance or circumstance considered in your opinions!

I enjoy this. I enjoy the constant refrain of "surely you don't want total anarchy!" No special task force is required to prevent anarchy. Nothing has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerob
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I enjoy this. I enjoy the constant refrain of "surely you don't want total anarchy!" No special task force is required to prevent anarchy. Nothing has changed.

My statement is less about a reaction against the task force, which there can be arguments made for, and more about the 'why should we stop protestors at all?' that has been bandied about. I trust the difference between the two is fairly clear.

• Locked thread