Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oliver didn't die, he was just near death. He survived the stabbing and the fall long enough for Maseo to get to him and treat his wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No no no, he was only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not sure which theory is worse: That Ras did kill him but he came back with magic herbs, or that Ras is such a poo poo assassin that he didn't kill him when he intended too(or intentionally stabbed him there lol) and he survived the fall only to come back with magic tea.

Arrow writers, you have failed this show.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Maybe the Mysterious Tea will end up linked to the alpha/omega stuff in the Hong Kong flash backs

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I say we split the difference: Ollie was supposed to survive the fall, only to dunked in the Pit to heal be and reborn as al-Rāmi or something. Thing is, Maseo wasn't the one who was supposed to recover him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

No no no, he was only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.

So, Ollie was bluffing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

So, Ollie was bluffing?

It's possible, Rhyno, he might have been bluffing. It's conceivable that he was only lying there because he lacked the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps he had the strength after all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's possible, Rhyno, he might have been bluffing. It's conceivable that he was only lying there because he lacked the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps he had the strength after all.

Oh. My. God.

Barrowman as Humperdinck. Imagine the glory of an Arrow cast remake of TPB.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Theres a new clip on the arrow facebook group and the last few seconds has a shot where barrowman leans back in his chair but it manages to convey 'holy poo poo its on' So well

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I've been assuming that what we're seeing going on w/ Oliver's death isn't a parallel timeline w/ the gang's day to day activities.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Parallel timeline? That's the dumbest suggestion I've heard since Shannon was stabbed.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

(Spoilers, Obviously)
Ohhhhhh poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

GreenNight posted:

Parallel timeline? That's the dumbest suggestion I've heard since Shannon was stabbed.

He just meant that things aren't happening at the same time where Oliver is as in Starling. Usually the show keeps all present day stuff happening concurrently, and usually with real time, but it's all a bit muddy right now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's happening at the same time. Arrow is out of sync with the flash now though, since only a few days passed after the finally while with flash it was weeks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

greatn posted:

I think it's happening at the same time. Arrow is out of sync with the flash now though, since only a few days passed after the finally while with flash it was weeks.

Did they explicitly say a few weeks have passed by in Flash?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Scyantific posted:

Did they explicitly say a few weeks have passed by in Flash?

Yeah in pretty sure they did.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Apparently a lot of people have been sending Stephen Amell that video:

Stephen Amell posted:

Everyone can stop sending me the video of that Danish archer. Is it impressive? Sure. Would he be as accurate if I punched him really hard in the mouth. I say no.

:allears:

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 31, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

Apparently a lot of people have been sending Stephen Amell that video:

:allears:

That is great

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Really, really annoyed at how they pussied out of Oliver dying. Getting stabbed in the heart (seemingly retconned to below the chest) and kicked off a cliff (specifically then shown to be a long enough fall to break his bones and probably turn him into mush). But no, it's just a minor stab wound and a bit of rest and medication and he's fine in a matter of weeks (?). Blech. I was worried about how they might handle lazarus pits, but that would've been a lot better, especially considering they kinda set them up with Ra's's age line.

And every scene with Laurel is STILL the worst. Felicity convincing her to keep vigilante-ing was really bad - undoing the one good, sensible decision she made. Her lies to her father and her magical dead-sister voicebox device are terrible. It's nice that they show her screwing up every now and then (fumbling the landing on the van), but instead of her inevitable and unreasonably quick improvement - honestly, the best thing they could do with that plot right now is have her try to disarm a gunman with her staff and be a little too slow and just get shot.

Also doesn't the show usually try and make League henchmen kinda formiddable (remember that first one we encountered who fought Ollie and Sara to a standstill?) and not as easily disposed of as they were by Maseo and his wife? That was WEAK.

Finally, a nitpick: people mentioned Roy's line about "I was trained by Ollie and had years on the streets." It was as clumsy as the dialogue can always been on this show. But for some reason it just irks me that they didn't make it something like "I was trained by Ollie and I grew up in the Glades - I've been fighting my whole life." Something that would have related more to the character and the city, and sounded less like someone else writing a biography would say.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Any Youtube videos of someone doing salmon ladders better than Ollie though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was never in the heart.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The theory about Ra's intentionally not killing Oliver makes no sense from what we actually saw.
Oliver pretty much coughs out blood after being stabbed in the chest. And in addition to that he is thrown off a cliff.
That is 3 things right there that would kill you irrevocably.

Of course nobody expected the Arrow to die permanently. But what we got is in sharp contrast with the writing/ ideas that led to the cliffhanger before the holidays break.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Really, really annoyed at how they pussied out of Oliver dying. Getting stabbed in the heart (seemingly retconned to below the chest) and kicked off a cliff (specifically then shown to be a long enough fall to break his bones and probably turn him into mush). But no, it's just a minor stab wound and a bit of rest and medication and he's fine in a matter of weeks (?). Blech. I was worried about how they might handle lazarus pits, but that would've been a lot better, especially considering they kinda set them up with Ra's's age line.

And every scene with Laurel is STILL the worst. Felicity convincing her to keep vigilante-ing was really bad - undoing the one good, sensible decision she made. Her lies to her father and her magical dead-sister voicebox device are terrible. It's nice that they show her screwing up every now and then (fumbling the landing on the van), but instead of her inevitable and unreasonably quick improvement - honestly, the best thing they could do with that plot right now is have her try to disarm a gunman with her staff and be a little too slow and just get shot.

Also doesn't the show usually try and make League henchmen kinda formiddable (remember that first one we encountered who fought Ollie and Sara to a standstill?) and not as easily disposed of as they were by Maseo and his wife? That was WEAK.

Finally, a nitpick: people mentioned Roy's line about "I was trained by Ollie and had years on the streets." It was as clumsy as the dialogue can always been on this show. But for some reason it just irks me that they didn't make it something like "I was trained by Ollie and I grew up in the Glades - I've been fighting my whole life." Something that would have related more to the character and the city, and sounded less like someone else writing a biography would say.

Remember the inverse ninja law. One ninja, or at least fewer ninjas than their opponents, is/are a nigh-invincible force. The League assassin was the one outnumbered by Ollie and Sara, therefor he was the formidable one. In the cabin, Maseo and Katana were outnumber 4 to 2, so they were the badass ones. In the fight in the church or whatever in season 2 with Ollie, Sara, and Lance they were evenly matched so it was a pitched and tense fight.

AbstractNapper posted:

The theory about Ra's intentionally not killing Oliver makes no sense from what we actually saw.
Oliver pretty much coughs out blood after being stabbed in the chest. And in addition to that he is thrown off a cliff.
That is 3 things right there that would kill you irrevocably.

Of course nobody expected the Arrow to die permanently. But what we got is in sharp contrast with the writing/ ideas that led to the cliffhanger before the holidays break.

Eh, we don't actually know how they revived him yet. I have to believe he actually was dead when they found him as they used the words "bring you back to life" rather dramatically. All I really think it needs is something more than "magic herbs" again or "you actually weren't quite dead."

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Ra's was clearly trying to kill Oliver, and he would've suceeded if Maseo hadn't grabbed Oliver and brought him in for emergency first aid. A person can survive a lot of trauma if they recieve urgent and medical care. A person can also bleed out and die from an otherwise minor injury without care.

The duel was in a secret location known only to the LoA, Ra's didnt think one of his men would betray him and grab the bleeding out body of his opponent and fix him up. If Maseo hadnt intereferred Oliver would be dead, Ra's just didnt anticipate that. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, and it probably isn't.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The big reveal is that Ra's hasn't ever actually killed anyone, the League just keeps covering up and making him think he has.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not impressed that Ras killed his first man at age seven. Davy Crockett shot him a bar when he was only three.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The big reveal is that Ra's hasn't ever actually killed anyone, the League just keeps covering up and making him think he has.

Ra is senile and cannot kill anymore and his underlings have been covering up for him all along!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, Arrow is one of my favorite shows I've ever watched, but folks' ability to bend over backwards trying to defend the occasional crap it tosses at us is something else. Both with this and the whole Hong Kong Waller thing.

Like...yes, you're all correct, of course the resurrection would not be dumb if the exact specific elements that make it dumb were not actually the case and are all bait-and-switches of some sort, somehow. But the whole reason that people think it's dumb is because the show is not giving that impression at all, it's giving the impression that the current dumb elements are being played straight. And the more it does that, the more like a left-field cop-out it's going to feel if the show ever does make it a bait-and-switch, and Arrow's plotting has never been so airtight that we can comfortably assume that every dumb thing it writes is going to end up being a fakeout anyway.

Like, I really hope the resurrection plot gets better or is made retroactively better, but that's like how I hope that every bad idea the show's ever had gets better or is retconned into something better.

Anyway, that said...the next episode looks really awesome and the preview just makes me more excited. :buddy:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BrianWilly posted:

Man, Arrow is one of my favorite shows I've ever watched, but folks' ability to bend over backwards trying to defend the occasional crap it tosses at us is something else. Both with this and the whole Hong Kong Waller thing.
Yeah, I remember that. I specifically called you out on it because you were making that out to be something that it wasn't. I specifically remember you using phrasing along the lines of "Ollie was completely untrained" to justify your absurd position that Waller had no justifiable reason for using Ollie.

BrianWilly posted:

Like...yes, you're all correct, of course the resurrection would not be dumb if the exact specific elements that make it dumb were not actually the case and are all bait-and-switches of some sort, somehow. But the whole reason that people think it's dumb is because the show is not giving that impression at all, it's giving the impression that the current dumb elements are being played straight. And the more it does that, the more like a left-field cop-out it's going to feel if the show ever does make it a bait-and-switch, and Arrow's plotting has never been so airtight that we can comfortably assume that every dumb thing it writes is going to end up being a fakeout anyway.

Like, I really hope the resurrection plot gets better or is made retroactively better, but that's like how I hope that every bad idea the show's ever had gets better or is retconned into something better.
The deal with the resurrection is that they haven't really explained anything. Ra's stabbed Ollie and kicked him off a high cliff, at some vague point after that Maseo collected him and dragged him off to the shack where Katana patched him up somehow. We don't really know the details of how she did it, all we really know is that she did, and in this last episode Ollie drank some "bad tea" that was actually explicitly Penicillin.

It's unexplained and pretty unsatisfying, but it's honestly not a huge deal.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Kibayasu posted:

Remember the inverse ninja law. One ninja, or at least fewer ninjas than their opponents, is/are a nigh-invincible force. The League assassin was the one outnumbered by Ollie and Sara, therefor he was the formidable one. In the cabin, Maseo and Katana were outnumber 4 to 2, so they were the badass ones. In the fight in the church or whatever in season 2 with Ollie, Sara, and Lance they were evenly matched so it was a pitched and tense fight.

Eh, we don't actually know how they revived him yet. I have to believe he actually was dead when they found him as they used the words "bring you back to life" rather dramatically. All I really think it needs is something more than "magic herbs" again or "you actually weren't quite dead."

It'll be the pit so that they can have a surprise evil Arrow episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I remember that. I specifically called you out on it because you were making that out to be something that it wasn't. I specifically remember you using phrasing along the lines of "Ollie was completely untrained" to justify your absurd position that Waller had no justifiable reason for using Ollie.
Ollie was not trained to be a spy in any way whatsoever, and if you think that he was, you are explicitly ignoring the contents of the show, considering that Waller and Maseo had to train him to accomplish even very rudimentary wetwork like interrogations and tailing targets. The whole reason that the plot was so dumb was because Waller was taking an American celebrity through Assassin Pre-school in the middle of Hong Kong despite the fact that there's absolutely no rational reason for her not to have better prospects than Oliver Queen.

I remember people back then were trying to fanfic the plot into something better too, like "Maybe she wants an in with the Bratva!" Yeah, well, let me know when that happens.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BrianWilly posted:

Ollie was not trained to be a spy in any way whatsoever, and if you think that he was, you are explicitly ignoring the contents of the show, considering that Waller and Maseo had to train him to accomplish even very rudimentary wetwork like interrogations and tailing targets. The whole reason that the plot was so dumb was because Waller was taking an American celebrity through Assassin Pre-school in the middle of Hong Kong despite the fact that there's absolutely no rational reason for her not to have better prospects than Oliver.

I remember people back then were trying to fanfic the plot into something better too, like "Maybe she wants an in with the Bratva!" Yeah, well, let me know when that happens.

He wasn't trained to be a spy specifically, no, you're right. However, this:

quote:

Waller was taking an American celebrity through Assassin Pre-school in the middle of Hong Kong despite the fact that there's absolutely no rational reason for her not to have better prospects than Oliver.

Is where your point falls apart. Through his experiences on the Island, particularly in season 1 where he took down one of Waller's operations, Ollie has shown that he has a lot of potential as an agent. This is particularly convenient for her because as far as the world is concerned, Oliver Queen is dead. If he was just "an American celebrity," then you'd have a point, but he very clearly isn't.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kadath posted:

Ra's was clearly trying to kill Oliver, and he would've suceeded if Maseo hadn't grabbed Oliver and brought him in for emergency first aid. A person can survive a lot of trauma if they recieve urgent and medical care. A person can also bleed out and die from an otherwise minor injury without care.

The issue would be if they aren't messing with the timeline Oliver was lying there for days. Half naked on a mountain after being stabbed in the lung is no way to lie around for days, and the cold isn't actually going to be your friend there. And it's pretty unlikely they messed with the timeline because we have Maseo going back to the League and getting a call from the DJ at the end of the episode. Unless there was something stronger than ginseng and koala balls in that tea they gave him, fucker was dead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Oh. My. God.

Barrowman as Humperdinck. Imagine the glory of an Arrow cast remake of TPB.

Can't be done, that generation that made ugly people like Andre the Giant is gone.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

This is still possible - I mean either Waller sends him to Russia or he escapes his ARGUS situation and then... decides to head for russia, presumably for the lulz.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The first thing the writers probably put on the white board was "League of Assassins: Foe?"

After they got that OK'd, #2 was "Ollie fights Ra's, dies in Lazarus pit."

A DC exec said that it would read too Jesusy, or count as a go to reset button ("Why don't they just anyone else we kill, ever?"), so they wrote an ep where it's like yeah he was revived, but...YOU KNOW, and focused on Maseo/Katana.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Scyantific posted:

(Spoilers, Obviously)
Ohhhhhh poo poo.

I guess technically this is spoilers, but:

Wait so the police COULD arrest Brick but don't because they don't have anything beyond circumstantial evidence? They've got eyewitness testimony (including the Mayor, two Alderman and the Chief of Detectives!) of Brick leading an assault on City Hall, of holding two Aldermen hostage who SAW HIM MURDER A THIRD, as well as CCTV footage of him committing that murder, as well as him calling the Mayor up on the phone and laying out ultimatums AS WELL as him showing up to an arranged meeting witnessed by dozens of cops, the Chief of Detectives, the District Attorney and the Mayor where he outright tells her he's taking over control of the Glades.... and they don't have enough to arrest him? :stare:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The issue would be if they aren't messing with the timeline Oliver was lying there for days. Half naked on a mountain after being stabbed in the lung is no way to lie around for days, and the cold isn't actually going to be your friend there. And it's pretty unlikely they messed with the timeline because we have Maseo going back to the League and getting a call from the DJ at the end of the episode. Unless there was something stronger than ginseng and koala balls in that tea they gave him, fucker was dead.

Could just be poor editing and he was actually recuperating in the hut for 3 weeks. Remember we had the shadowy figure stand over his body right at the end of the episode where Ras stabbed him didn't we?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I guess technically this is spoilers, but:

Wait so the police COULD arrest Brick but don't because they don't have anything beyond circumstantial evidence? They've got eyewitness testimony (including the Mayor, two Alderman and the Chief of Detectives!) of Brick leading an assault on City Hall, of holding two Aldermen hostage who SAW HIM MURDER A THIRD, as well as CCTV footage of him committing that murder, as well as him calling the Mayor up on the phone and laying out ultimatums AS WELL as him showing up to an arranged meeting witnessed by dozens of cops, the Chief of Detectives, the District Attorney and the Mayor where he outright tells her he's taking over control of the Glades.... and they don't have enough to arrest him? :stare:

I think the idea is that they didn't have any evidence before that stuff happened. Now he has an army taking over the Glades it's probably pretty hard to arrest him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Can't be done, that generation that made ugly people like Andre the Giant is gone.

<ahem>

• Locked thread