Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Box art for the star winning, you can its HG transformation in the back.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:getin:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Need to see some more pictures, but I might get this and keep it perma-partsformed as the HG variant.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone here ever used those metal detail parts you see floating around? I've been debating picking up this set, and tips would be nice.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I don't usually go for HGs, but hot drat I want that transformed version. Can't wait for shots.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You'll need a pinvise and a lot of glue. After that it's mostly just being really precise and putting them on symmetrically.

Metal parts tend to increase the weight of whatever you put them on, but this is the RE100 Nightingale we're talking about here so it's not like it matters.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the weight, and I like that it adds detail to the otherwise kinda wide swaths of of plain plastic.

Is there a preferred brand like nippers, or is just anything good enough? If I can just go with anything I'll just grab something from the local hobby shop and test on the leftover parts from some old kits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just don't get something ridiculously cheap and you should be fine. You'll probably need various sizes, so get 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm bits as a starter pack.

Now that I think about it, I do have one tip: mark where you're going to drill with a mechanical pencil. Much easier than eyeballing everything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I don't particularly like SDs, so I might just buy Winning and leave it perma-transformed into HG.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Put masking tape over the place you are going to drill to avoid having the drill bit dance around it and scratch your figure. This is my sage advice.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ka0 posted:

Put masking tape over the place you are going to drill to avoid having the drill bit dance around it and scratch your figure. This is my sage advice.

Use a pin to make a "pilot divot", start drilling slowly and use small bits then bigger bits if you are making a large hole.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Warmachine posted:

Please tell me you made it look looted... I want to see an Ork Zaku.

Sadly not, it's for my green OSHA-inspired marines. I don't play orks, they need too many models.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I've been working on the initial assembly of the Dark Matter in my minimal spare time this week and I'm looking at stuff left over on the sprues.

Were they playing around with the idea of doing Gundam Artemie at some point? Because damned if some of these pieces on the E sprue don't look like parts of the GN Drive casing for Artemie.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nope, everything on the E runner was for the Exia RII.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Ah. Part of the GN Particle storage.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Does anyone have a 1/100 Kyrios? I'm trying to help a friend complete his collection, but god drat the thing is hard to find for a non-scalped price.

Update: We miraculously won an ebay auction for the only slightly ridiculous price of $38 (base price is 2600 yen). :toot:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is it just me, or does the HG form have the Zeong thing going on?

As in, no legs?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it just me, or does the HG form have the Zeong thing going on?

As in, no legs?

Pretty sure they're just blocked out by the Core Fighter transformation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thicker funnels are its leg parts while the smaller one are its arms. I'm guessing the shuriken bits are still attached to wherever they rest initially. Still find it weird that the weapon is the SD rifle, it'll be like a peashooter at full size and the sword would be pretty short. If the model is stable enough in HG mode I'm guessing Bandai wont pass on the opportunity to sell even more poo poo that hooks up to it in HG mode.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thicker funnels are its leg parts while the smaller one are its arms. I'm guessing the shuriken bits are still attached to wherever they rest initially. Still find it weird that the weapon is the SD rifle, it'll be like a peashooter at full size and the sword would be pretty short. If the model is stable enough in HG mode I'm guessing Bandai wont pass on the opportunity to sell even more poo poo that hooks up to it in HG mode.

I want to do a Perfect World Fumina version with the HG Star Winning Gundam with parts from Try Burning and Lightning Mk. II.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Well Manicured Man posted:

Pretty sure they're just blocked out by the Core Fighter transformation.

From the scaling, I imagine that somehow the head becomes the arm and leg extensions.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gearhead posted:

From the scaling, I imagine that somehow the head becomes the arm and leg extensions.

You do realize the backpack has all the limbs on it right, including the lower torso piece? More than likely, the SD head will just be partsformed off the kit entirely when in HG mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The Star Winning SD just adds to how bad the SD-R team's kit is. Hell, the Star Winning actually has moveable elbows for one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The star winning head becomes the backpack

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Star Winning SD just adds to how bad the SD-R team's kit is. Hell, the Star Winning actually has moveable elbows for one.

let's wait until we see the dragon...rock the dragon...

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

TaurusOxford posted:

You do realize the backpack has all the limbs on it right, including the lower torso piece? More than likely, the SD head will just be partsformed off the kit entirely when in HG mode.

I hadn't looked at a lot of shots of the kit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Winning Gundam and a backpack for burning before the show ends.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If anyone here buys their Gunpla on Amazon and has Prime, I just noticed that both the Portent (translated as "Protant" for some reason?) and Star Winning are available for pre-order with free Prime shipping now.

March is gonna be a fun month.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Well Manicured Man posted:

If anyone here buys their Gunpla on Amazon and has Prime, I just noticed that both the Portent (translated as "Protant" for some reason?) and Star Winning are available for pre-order with free Prime shipping now.

March is gonna be a fun month.

We'll see if they ship them, I'm still waiting on the regular Winning.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

why did i think it was a good idea to putty some seams

without my mask

and inside the house instead of the outside area i specifically have for poo poo like this

ow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

The SD Head is actually the Core Fighter/HG Backpack. It's easy to spot in a behind shot of the Star Winning now that we've seen it on its own.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Stayed up until 4 laat night building the HG Build Gundam Mk. II. Woke up at one. drat good kit. Horns tstckers were a pain in the rear end though. I ended up liking the alternate build better, which I'm guessing is the original kit Sei based it off in the show? (Just checked. Wiki says it's the Gundam Mk. II.)

Also, heads up to anyone in Austin, the Barnes and Noble had a ton of kits in stock. HG, MG, RG, plus these weird tiny rubbery kits in little boxes.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm feeling up to doing a MG kit at last for the first time since the early 2000s. And I'm about to have some very early morning time in my future where I won't be able to sleep yet for the sake of work scheduling. Does anyone have any suggestions in nice MGs for someone who's got a few modern HG kits under their belt but most of whose modelling experience is about 15 years out of date?

I have a local shop that has a fairly large stock of stuff, though I can't remember the EXACT stock. What are some things to look out for?

As a note: I'm really quite fond of Ebikawa's mechanical designs, but I'm not MARRIED to them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gearhead posted:

I'm feeling up to doing a MG kit at last for the first time since the early 2000s. And I'm about to have some very early morning time in my future where I won't be able to sleep yet for the sake of work scheduling. Does anyone have any suggestions in nice MGs for someone who's got a few modern HG kits under their belt but most of whose modelling experience is about 15 years out of date?

I have a local shop that has a fairly large stock of stuff, though I can't remember the EXACT stock. What are some things to look out for?

As a note: I'm really quite fond of Ebikawa's mechanical designs, but I'm not MARRIED to them.

Gundam X, Build Strike, Regular Strike, any SEED RM MG, really, AGE 1 Normal or Titus, Mk II 2.0, any of those are solid picks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

An Angry Bug posted:

Stayed up until 4 laat night building the HG Build Gundam Mk. II. Woke up at one. drat good kit. Horns tstckers were a pain in the rear end though. I ended up liking the alternate build better, which I'm guessing is the original kit Sei based it off in the show? (Just checked. Wiki says it's the Gundam Mk. II.)

Also, heads up to anyone in Austin, the Barnes and Noble had a ton of kits in stock. HG, MG, RG, plus these weird tiny rubbery kits in little boxes.

Good to see that you enjoyed it, but when it comes to the standards of modern HG kits, Build Mk. II is pretty sub-par. Assuming you only have interest in Build Fighter kits, go for Wing Fenice/Renascita or the Build Burning Gundam and then you'll see what a "drat good kit" truly is.

Gearhead posted:

I'll never not suggest Wing MGs. All solid construction, all make for impressive display pieces if you can pose well. MG TV Wing Gundam is a personal favorite of mine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There are review pics of the Full-Armor PG Unicorn up. It's as gloriously chunky as you'd expect.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

TaurusOxford posted:

Good to see that you enjoyed it, but when it comes to the standards of modern HG kits, Build Mk. II is pretty sub-par. Assuming you only have interest in Build Fighter kits, go for Wing Fenice/Renascita or the Build Burning Gundam and then you'll see what a "drat good kit" truly is.

I'm curious, since I've built almost every kit from BF except the miss Sazabi, why is the Build Mk.II sub-par?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I'm curious, since I've built almost every kit from BF except the miss Sazabi, why is the Build Mk.II sub-par?

It's one of two kits (the other being the Quebely Papillion) derived from a kit released in the very early 00's. The rest are all made off of much newer HG kits, or outright new molds in of themselves (The Build Strike, Gouf R35 and Crossbone Maoh).

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The Crossbone Maoh is a godly HG. Tiny. But godly. Easily one of my favorite HGs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't watch Build Fighters and the Crossbone Maoh was my first HG kit.

There's a universal love for pirate Gundams. :yarr:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gearhead posted:

Anything new on dalong.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Tenzarin posted:

Anything new on dalong.net.

Since my Blue Frame Second-L has a molding fault on a critical sprue and I've never gotten around to replacing it, I was considering Blue Frame D.