Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Spacebump posted:

I agree that they aren't below Purdue or Vandy but there are several Group of 5 programs that are better than Purdue/Vandy every year. It turns out being in a Power 5 conference doesn't make a school's program better than all G5 schools.

Also, lol at espn using all time Power 5 statistics this past season. Good way to try to erase the Big East from CFB history.
The Big East's legacy is really weird. Prior to 2005 they were an incredibly good football conference, with West Virginia, Miami, Boston College, Syracuse (at least through the 90s...remember Donovan McNabb?), and Virginia Tech. Even before the Big East disappeared into the ether, Louisville, WVU, and Cincy were all quality teams. Yet all we ever remember was the sheer suck that was the Big East, as a whole.

Then again, the post-2005 Big East allowed UConn to win the conference and get their BCS bid, which is an unforgivable sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Frackie Robinson posted:

BYU is reliably a top 60 program, and more importantly since they're an independent they're also readily available. It's not like they're Army or something, I don't see the what the problem is here.

I'm not saying anything negative about BYU's ability on the football field. I just think it's funny that to some people a P5 team=better than all non-P5 teams when that clearly isn't the case. ESPN pushes this with their all time P5 stats.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Spacebump posted:

I'm not saying anything negative about BYU's ability on the football field. I just think it's funny that to some people a P5 team=better than all non-P5 teams when that clearly isn't the case. ESPN pushes this with their all time P5 stats.

On a case by case basis sure. There are totally G5 teams that are better than P5 teams. But overall the average quality of P5 teams is for sure above the average quality of G5 teams.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Purdue has a losing record to the Big Ten, Pac-12, and Notre Dame.

It has a winning record against the SEC.

Purdue is better than everyone in the G5 then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

Purdue has a losing record to the Big Ten, Pac-12, and Notre Dame.

It has a winning record against the SEC.

Purdue is better than everyone in the G5 then.

Bowling Green is 2-0-0 all time vs. Purdue. E: and 3-2-0 vs. Mizzou!

Eat it, SEC :toot:

tennessee is going to destroy us oh god :gonk:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I assume everyone in the Big Ten except maybe Wisconsin has an awful record against the Pac-10 because they usually only play in the yearly Rose Bowl slaughter.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

I assume everyone in the Big Ten except maybe Wisconsin has an awful record against the Pac-10 because they usually only play in the yearly Rose Bowl slaughter.

Ohio State is 59-26-2 against the Pac 12.

Edit: Michigan and Michigan St. are also over .500 against Pac 12. Wisconsin is well under .500.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 30, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah but gently caress ohio state

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

MourningView posted:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nebraska and Penn State also have winning records against the Pac-12.

Most of the Nebraska ones are against Colorado

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Please stop saying BYU or I will have a panic attack

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Sash! posted:

Nebraska and Penn State also have winning records against the Pac-12.

Most of the Nebraska ones are against Colorado

Still counts.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

MourningView posted:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

bless ohio state for this year only

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I'll take it!

Next year the anti-osu tard brigade will be stronger than ever :ohdear:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Please stop saying BYU or I will have a panic attack

I'm literally shaking right now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pillsburysoldier posted:

boooooooooooooo

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Grittybeard posted:

Mike Alden is resigning as Mizzou's AD at the end of August. Hey Virginia Tech guys--what are your thoughts on Whit Babcock in general? Do you think he's doing a good job, has he done anything particularly memorable, whatever?

I don't have any idea if he'd be interested or if Mizzou wants him, he's just on the list of guys who've worked with Alden at Mizzou and are ADs now. Just looked him up and I didn't realize he's only been there a year at this point, so maybe he wouldn't leave anyway unless something's wrong.

No way he leaves VT, especially after less than a year.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Bless Florida State, for their yakkety-sax performance against Oregon.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm literally shaking right now.

That never really goes away. I get queasy thinking about playing Nebraska and that beatdown was just over 19 years ago.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Big East's legacy is really weird. Prior to 2005 they were an incredibly good football conference, with West Virginia, Miami, Boston College, Syracuse (at least through the 90s...remember Donovan McNabb?), and Virginia Tech. Even before the Big East disappeared into the ether, Louisville, WVU, and Cincy were all quality teams. Yet all we ever remember was the sheer suck that was the Big East, as a whole.

Then again, the post-2005 Big East allowed UConn to win the conference and get their BCS bid, which is an unforgivable sin.

That was Bill Stewart's fault.

WVU's record vs P5 conferences (this does not include wins against current members, but instead what conference they were in when we played them:

ACC: 42-37-1
Big Ten: 2-5
Pac12: 1-4
SEC: 14-20

Can confirm the ACC is the worst P5 conference.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 31, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Frinkahedron posted:

No way he leaves VT, especially after less than a year.

Yeah I started writing that just seeing his name in a list of dudes and he was the only one who was working for a school I knew had a bunch of fans here. For some reason i was thinking he'd been at VT for a few years, after I saw that he'd only been there a year I figured there wasn't much chance unless he was super unhappy for whatever reason which doesn't seem to be the case. Glad it sounds like you guys like him though.

I guess if any Ole Miss fans are hanging around you can tell me about Ross Bjork. Or if a completely random New Mexico State guy reads this Mario Moccia. It's possible to likely depending on who you listen to that Alden was half pushed out, so I have no clue if a tie to him would matter in the search for the next AD.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Also of note is our record versus the SoCon, which we dominated in the 50's and 60's, 105-18-9

Record vs current teams (because I have nothing to do, waiting for this bad doodoo basketball game to start.)

ACC: 150-173 (Dat 40-61 Pitt Record)
BIG Ten: 71-81 (Thanks Rutgers!)
Pac 12: 2-9
SEC: 24-25

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 31, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

As we enter panicked recruiting season, I found it pretty interesting that apparently none of the superbowl starters were 5-star recruits, and only 8 were 4-stars.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Pffft not mentioning Kam Chancellor's recruitment :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

As we enter panicked recruiting season, I found it pretty interesting that apparently none of the superbowl starters were 5-star recruits, and only 8 were 4-stars.

I'm trying to think of how many were even 1st-round picks. Okung, Lynch, Wilfork, Revis, Solder, Irvin (lol), Thomas...maybe I'm missing one or two. And maybe that's a typical amount for a Super Bowl. But it seems pretty small to me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bruce Irvin would have prolly been a lot higher rated if he wasn't a literal moron.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Record vs current teams (because I have nothing to do, waiting for this bad doodoo basketball game to start.)

ACC: 150-173 (Dat 40-61 Pitt Record)
BIG Ten: 71-81 (Thanks Rutgers!)
Pac 12: 2-9
SEC: 24-25

ACC: 150-86-10 (57-21-1 without Pitt and Syracuse)
Big 12: 59-14-2 (11-5 without WVU, thanks for that)
Pac 12: 24-13
SEC: 23-21

Also found out that PSU has never played Arkansas, Duke, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, VT, and Utah. Now I'm curious if anyone has played every P5 team.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Just based on location I'd be shocked if a Pac or ACC team has played all members of the other conference. The only Pac teams VT's ever played are Cal and Stanford so it'd have to be one of them for the Pac side.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Crotch Bat posted:

Just based on location I'd be shocked if a Pac or ACC team has played all members of the other conference. The only Pac teams VT's ever played are Cal and Stanford so it'd have to be one of them for the Pac side.

VT played UCLA in that dreadful Sun Bowl. I think that's it, though. Those were all in recent memory as well.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

ACC: 150-86-10 (57-21-1 without Pitt and Syracuse)
Big 12: 59-14-2 (11-5 without WVU, thanks for that)
Pac 12: 24-13
SEC: 23-21

Also found out that PSU has never played Arkansas, Duke, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, VT, and Utah. Now I'm curious if anyone has played every P5 team.

9-48 :sigh:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Heaf posted:

VT played UCLA in that dreadful Sun Bowl. I think that's it, though. Those were all in recent memory as well.

Oh yea, blocked that one out.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Crotch Bat posted:

I really would love for VT to play a PAC team every few years. Like Tenn has kinda been doing lately. I would so go to a game in SLC, if only to lord it over all my drat Mormon cousins.

And we played USC back in 04.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Eventually we'll find out VT has actually played all Pac teams because I'm retarded.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MourningView posted:

Agreed and submitting a "gently caress Notre Dame" addendum for consideration

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

DJExile posted:

Bowling Green is 2-0-0 all time vs. Purdue. E: and 3-2-0 vs. Mizzou!

Eat it, SEC :toot:

tennessee is going to destroy us oh god :gonk:

Look on the bright side - it's a neutral site game!

And at the current rate, Butch Jones is either not going to have an Offensive Coordinator or is going to end with four.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor apparently has cardboard cutouts with some of the new uniforms we're getting next year up at Junior Day today.

Picture quality ain't great, but it gives you an idea. I could get behind this as an away game uni - the green shoulder-claws look way way way better to me than the piss-yellow we'd been rocking before.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Lol Grantham got a raise

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Baylor apparently has cardboard cutouts with some of the new uniforms we're getting next year up at Junior Day today.

Picture quality ain't great, but it gives you an idea. I could get behind this as an away game uni - the green shoulder-claws look way way way better to me than the piss-yellow we'd been rocking before.

looks bad

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Naaahhh. I like how the green and look with each other. I could see either green-grey-green or the inverse looking really sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its a bad uniform because if you covered up the BAYLOR on it, you couldn't tell who it belongs to.

• Locked thread