Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Today's Prickly City:

Those who are more versed in cartoonist lore want to enlighten us about who these are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jurgan posted:

Those who are more versed in cartoonist lore want to enlighten us about who these are?

They're the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

QwertyAsher posted:

zed is wearing a combat helmet in the first and second frame, but it has magically become a backwards baseball cap for panel five.

This is what I am taking issue with because my brain refuses to acknowledge any more than that

He's just really bad at tracing:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

colonel_korn posted:

Doesn't it just bolster his credentials with the primary crowd? STANDING UP FOR LIFE and all that. The right is pretty happy to overlook the "small government" mantra when it suits them, cf. half of Branco's cartoons that he draws for "Americans for Limited Government" where he advocates bombing the poo poo out of foreigners, etc.

It might, but I'm hoping some asshat hopeful brings it up anyway because it won't help him in the general. The issues involved could always use more airing out anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Charlie Hebdo people that died in the attack?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Curse you for making me go back and look at the baseball cap panel. Zed's face is in the process of sloughing off and he seems mildly concerned about it. I've seen Dominic Deegan comics with better artwork.

Okay, Dominic Deegan had it's own giant loving pile of issues with it but it in no way deserves to be compared to Day by Day.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Did this get posted :stare:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/a9y1Odi.jpg :nws:
Look at that horrible second panel of Obama. Look at it.

Apart from the obvious points everyone else has brought up already: if he picks up the ISIS flag he is a secret ISIS agent? What?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

After football season, Mitch McConnell breaks out the bondage erotica.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Trent posted:

It might, but I'm hoping some asshat hopeful brings it up anyway because it won't help him in the general. The issues involved could always use more airing out anyway.

The impression I got (Or at least how I remember it) was that even most pro-lifers thought the whole Terri Schiavo incident was bad political theater and only the serious die-hards liked Jeb Bush because of his involvement in it. Then again that was ten years ago and the Republican party has spent the past six years dancing gleefully further to the far right, so anything could happen.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Rorus Raz posted:

I don't think there's a single political cartoonist that makes me angrier than this guy. gently caress your conspiracy theories, gently caress your blatant cheerleading for the president's death, gently caress your sniper fantasy, gently caress your fake girlfriend and her lopsided titties, gently caress you Chris Muir.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

From left to right:
Cabu, Tignous, Charb, Wolinski

He's missing Honoré. I liked Honoré, he had a very distinctive style, very different from the other CH cartoonists, more classically artistic.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Oh yeah, my work schedule is changing next week so I won't be able to continue posting the daily morning cartoon dumps that I've been doing. If anyone wants to take on this terrible burden then please feel free to do so.

Sites that I check:

GoComics.com: http://www.gocomics.com/explore/editorial_list

They put a yellow dot next to the ones that are new for that day, though it seems like sometimes they forget to do it. I don't bother posting a lot of the ones that are really boring, which are usually many.
Anyways, lots of "big name" cartoonists on there, though some of them like Bors, Bennett, Luckovich, Ramirez and Rogers seem to get uploaded elsewhere and posted before they turn up on GoComics.

Facebook pages: (you don't need to friend them or anything, as long as you're logged in to your own account you can see them)
Branco
7oden
CAM
Rick McKee
Bagley
Allie
Terry Wise
Erin Bonsteel

Most of these guys post stuff pretty regularly during the week. Allie maybe only once a week or so, ditto Terry Wise, and Bonsteel almost never updates anymore but is apparently still at it from time to time.
A lot of the cartoons that get uploaded to FB are pretty hi-res, but if you upload them to imgur you just have to append an 'l' (lower-case L) to the end of the url just before the file extension to shrink them to a reasonable size.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Apart from the obvious points everyone else has brought up already: if he picks up the ISIS flag he is a secret ISIS agent? What?

Don't you remember WW2? All the U.S. Troops who took home souvenirs like flags and poo poo were actually secret Nazis. :tinfoil:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rorus Raz posted:

Blatantly stealing images from American Sniper, blatantly stating that he wants to kill Obama, not even keeping his message clear (why the gently caress don't you want him to pick it up Muir!? You're talking about how he's SOOOOOoooOOOo dangerous in the first few panels!), and bringing up Taqiyya and Kitman. I think we've hit a new plateau for horribleness.

loquacius posted:

It's directly miming a scene from American Sniper. In the scene Kyle kills an insurgent who tried to use an RPG against some construction workers making the Green Zone Wall. Afterwards a kid on the street goes over to the dead body (Like instantly, right after the dude goes down)and picks up the RPG to play with it for a few seconds before dropping it and running away.

This scene itself was changed from the books (Kyle's autobiography) which has the kid showing up later to explicitly retrieve the unfired RPG for later use and Kyle states that he wouldn't shoot a kid "innocent or not" and will instead wait for the dude who told the kid to get the RPG. .

Head over to Cinema Discusso and check out the American Sniper thread for my break down of what was changed to make Kyle more sympathetic in that film if you're interested. Link here

Crain fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Taqiyya I'm aware of, what the hell is Kitman?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Taqiyya I'm aware of, what the hell is Kitman?

Here you go.

So basically more of the whole "he's a covert Jihadist" crap.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I haven't seen american sniper but I'm going to bet this is a re-creation of one of the scenes in that film.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QwertyAsher posted:

zed is wearing a combat helmet in the first and second frame, but it has magically become a backwards baseball cap for panel five.

This is what I am taking issue with because my brain refuses to acknowledge any more than that

In Muirs defence (ugh, I feel filthy) its a dream.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi is currently building two museums - one for general state history and one for the civil rights movement (They're separate but equal! :rimshot:).

Romney recently spoke at Mississippi State University and one of MSU traditions is ringing a cowbell at football games.

He's back! Yes, that's right, out old friend Chris McDaniel (who is still a State Senator) has been taking time off from work - to raise funds for his SuperPAC that will help get "True Conservatives" elected into office. Y'know, instead of DOING HIS loving JOB.

:siren: BONUS CONTENT

Who wants some possum-tars?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Greece

Also Greece

Mexico

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Crain posted:

It's directly miming a scene from American Sniper. In the scene Kyle kills an insurgent who tried to use an RPG against some construction workers making the Green Zone Wall. Afterwards a kid on the street goes over to the dead body (Like instantly, right after the dude goes down)and picks up the RPG to play with it for a few seconds before dropping it and running away.

This scene itself was changed from the books (Kyle's autobiography) which has the kid showing up later to explicitly retrieve the unfired RPG for later use and Kyle states that he wouldn't shoot a kid "innocent or not" and will instead wait for the dude who told the kid to get the RPG. .

Head over to Cinema Discusso and check out the American Sniper thread for my break down of what was changed to make Kyle more sympathetic in that film if you're interested. Link here

Okay I guess I get where the structure of the strip came from now but it still doesn't make any goddamn sense

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

loquacius posted:

Okay I guess I get where the structure of the strip came from now but it still doesn't make any goddamn sense

Yeah it doesn't.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's almost like Muir is a terrible story teller as well as a terrible artist.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Muir comic is saying "Obama is acting like a terrorist, how long until he literally announces he is a terrorist and working with the terrorists," and it's also a "pop culture reference" and totally not a rip-off of a recent movie

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The Muir comic is saying "Obama is acting like a terrorist, how long until he literally announces he is a terrorist and working with the terrorists," and it's also a "pop culture reference" and totally not a rip-off of a recent movie

Original CharacterTM. Do not steal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

Right going by the movie's version of him Zed is in the role of someone genuinely torn up about possibly having to shoot his target and desperately hoping he doesn't have to while his spotter/wife eggs him on saying he needs to just take the shot...and then he wakes up and says she was looking out for him, meaning he thinks in that story that's totally whitewashed and made up to make Kyle look like a conflicted hero...Kyle was a big pussy who needed to listen to his spotter and just shoot without cause.

Also he wants to murder the president.

A patriot, basically, as you can see.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Rorus Raz posted:

Zed, when your dad said he needed you to move to the ranch and shovel horseshit, this isn't what he meant.

Just look at the wheels on that car! The gauntlet has been thrown, Payne!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It finally happened, a political cartoon from the US into my own life.

I thought just half-assedly lurking would be enough!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh no, a small pittance is being taken out of my pay to help pay for the resources and infrastructure that supports the society that I live in! :gonk:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cpt.Americant posted:

You can also do that same search. There was an ethics investigation of him back in 2010, he accepted tickets as gifts without reporting all of them. He paid the fines for doing so. Don't know if that counts as "hella corrupt," but it's not nothing either.

drat it, the one link I didn't bother clicking.

Rygar201 posted:

Go read the controversies section of his Wikipedia page, you belligerent poo poo. It's fairly lengthy and he definitely took a lot of "Gifts."

My apologies, I guess it wasn't completely out of your rear end. I guess I've just seen too many "IIRC [horrible slander]" posts in dnd and don't trust that poo poo anymore.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Internet Webguy posted:

After football season, Mitch McConnell breaks out the bondage erotica.

I had to go to his site to make sure this wasn't an edit. That backwards book? (If it had been a goon edit, that would have been the MANGA ADAPTATION) "Fooball"?

FOOBALL?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
New Day By Day:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Oh no, a small pittance is being taken out of my pay to help pay for the resources and infrastructure that supports the society that I live in! :gonk:
I love when the GOP line is basically "gently caress trying to improve this country's increasing problems in education and infrastructure, I don't want to pay my taxes because I'm a god fearing Patriot!!! :freep:"

Its just so transparently stupid

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I love when the GOP line is basically "gently caress trying to improve this country's increasing problems in education and infrastructure, I don't want to pay my taxes because I'm a god fearing Patriot!!! :freep:"

Its just so transparently stupid
I mean if you follow conservative logic to its logical endpoint the federal and state governments should be dissolved in their entirety and be governed tribalistically by their local communities.

I don't think anyone would actually support that though. Well, I mean, there's always someone, but no one important.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

JT Jag posted:

I mean if you follow conservative logic to its logical endpoint the federal and state governments should be dissolved in their entirety and be governed tribalistically by their local communities.

I don't think anyone would actually support that though. Well, I mean, there's always someone, but no one important.

One thing I've never understood is that many conservatives, while distrustful of the federal government, seem to think state governments are absolutely sacrosanct. I would expect the position to be "local is always better," but for some reason state governments are exempt from the distrust. I guess it comes from taking the 10th amendment way too literally.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jurgan posted:

One thing I've never understood is that many conservatives, while distrustful of the federal government, seem to think state governments are absolutely sacrosanct. I would expect the position to be "local is always better," but for some reason state governments are exempt from the distrust. I guess it comes from taking the 10th amendment way too literally.

If all power was reduced to the state level and it started doing things they didn't like they would want it reduced to the county and when that started going against them the city and eventually the street and then maybe they'd admit that they just want things to go their way all the time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just want to point out that Vilerat and the other Benghazi victims are Zed's "brothers" now.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Conservatives will deny this, but it all goes back to desegregation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Duckbag posted:

Conservatives will deny this, but it all goes back to desegregation.
Both desegregation and pre-civil war nullification, back before Abraham Lincoln kicked the South's asses and asserted the primacy of the Federal Government, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the early stage of the fight was basically "OH SURE YOU 'WON THE ELECTION' BUT I DON'T GOTTA GIVE MY SLAVES UP YOU BLACK LOVIN FUCKER" and then a cannon shot at a fort and we just all have to pretend that the new fight is any way different.

• Locked thread