Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Subjunctive posted:

:eyepop:

I have 2 970s in my new build, and they sit at 60C and 43C in the WIndows desktop. The hotter one (primary) has the fan at about 15%. I've OC'd them to +150 core with +87mV voltage increase, but I don't think that should really matter when they're effectively idle. Is there anything I should look into before just digging into airflow in the case?

Which 970s do you have? Those aren't dangerous temperatures, and I wouldn't be worried about them, but they are higher than I'd expect for the MSI/ASUS custom coolers. One running hotter than the other is expected though; the bottom card is going to be blocking the airflow of the top card and there's not much you can do about it.

If you have room you could try moving the bottom 970 to a lower slot, provided it's going to offer the same number of PCIe lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desuwa posted:

Which 970s do you have? Those aren't dangerous temperatures, and I wouldn't be worried about them, but they are higher than I'd expect for the MSI/ASUS custom coolers. One running hotter than the other is expected though; the bottom card is going to be blocking the airflow of the top card and there's not much you can do about it.

If you have room you could try moving the bottom 970 to a lower slot, provided it's going to offer the same number of PCIe lanes.

I have the MSI Gaming ones. I removed some unused drive cages to improve flow from the front-panel intake fans, but it didn't really help: the cooler card is even cooler, but the hot one didn't change.

The motherboard only has two x16 slots, but I'd need a longer SLI bridge anyway.

I can add a side fan to my case and see if that helps.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Airflow would be the only solution other than just sucking it up and not worrying about it. With the fans off at idle, the heat from the lower 970 has nothing to do but be carried by convection straight into the upper card.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eggyolk posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105036

Refurbished HD7990 for $300 after $10 rebate, whose gonna take the plunge?

What would you even use a Crossfired 3GB 280X for :confused:
Obviously not 1440p+ gaming if you're making GBS threads your pants over the Nvidia 970 thing.

Yeah 90 days limited warranty and restocking fee, no thank You.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I'll probably just learn to be comfortable with it. Under FurMark/Heaven load it doesn't crack 80C.

Now if only I'd been smarter and bought a semi-fanless PSU, I'd be totally happy with my setup...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

:eyepop:

I have 2 970s in my new build, and they sit at 60C and 43C in the WIndows desktop. The hotter one (primary) has the fan at about 15%.

On the MSI models the fan doesn't even kick on until it hits 60C to begin with by design. So long as at load you're not going over 80 you'll be fine. Hell, I blocked one of my fans accidentally and it managed to stay under 80C at full load. Didn't even break above 80% fanspeed.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Having to RMA every single GPU seems like extraordinary bad luck on your side. GPU's aren't that unreliable that you should have to expect to RMA every one you own.

In the 14 or so years I've been a PC gamer I've had to RMA 1 card, a Powercolor 9800 Pro. I forget if it shipped to me DoA or if it died soon after. The only other GPU I've had that has failed on me was a Radeon HD 4670 where the cheap fan on it literally snapped in half due to dust buildup.

I've had a GF 2 MX 200 PCI, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X800 Pro, Radeon HD 5770, Radeon HD 6950 and GTX 770 all live until their next scheduled upgrade.

I upgrade my GPU every 3-5 years and I honestly can't think of one other than this 6850 I'm now using that I haven't had to RMA. What's ironic about is it that I specifically buy high end power supplies and ram, motherboards, etc and things of that nature just SO I hopefully would keep parts around longer. I've been running a Seasonic X-series gold the last few years. So, good power as far as I remember. I'm really considering leaving the ATI/AMD camp after this last computer build. It's wonderful, x6 Phenom OC'd to 4ghz, watercooled, super silent, lots of RAID-10 SSDs, 24GB ram.. but man it's been a bit of a pain. Of course, it's lasted me awhile now.

I'm also one of those guys who has RMA'd Xbox 360s at least 6 times, I think closer to 10. The last one that died was stolen out of my back seat and I just said gently caress it and gave up on them. My Nexus tablet died. My last Nexus phone died. My Chromecast shits itself all the time and I have to reset it (blaming plex).

Now, on the flip side, I can't think of any of my harddrives ever dying and I have a LOT of harddrives.

My appendix failed on me a few months ago too. I'm just a poisoned chalice.

I've never had a card fail THIS bad though. It's crazy. If I enable the driver in Windows the entire screen just becomes artifacts.

vty fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2015

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Jeez. Have you checked the electrical quality from your wall sockets? Voltage, brownouts, spikes, that kind of thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BurritoJustice posted:

I thought it was only the 290x that outpaces the 970 at super high resolutions, and only barely. TPU has the 970 > 290 on average at every resolution up to and including 4K, with the 290x winning by an average of 1% at 4K.

(MSI card used because its fairly typical)

Well I have a 290 with fully unlocked cores so yes. But I also play on triple 1440 monitors so a higher resolution than even 4k.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I'll probably just learn to be comfortable with it. Under FurMark/Heaven load it doesn't crack 80C.

Now if only I'd been smarter and bought a semi-fanless PSU, I'd be totally happy with my setup...
Throw on afterburner and set a custom fan curve, I have the floor at 50% with it hitting 100% at 60C and it's been performing great. Just tailor it according to the heat of your system at idle/load (outside of synthetic tests).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

:eyepop: Dios mio...

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Nvidia just can't catch a break. The guy behind the ENBSeries of graphical enhancements is saying the 970 does not have .5 GB of slow VRAM, it only has 3.5 GB of VRAM and uses system memory for the last .5 GB! Not verified by other people yet, nor is there is an explanation why the benchmarks on the .5 GB is faster than system RAM.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 1, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Without knowing anything about that guy, except that he can't spell, I don't buy that. Just count how many fuckin' Vram chips are mounted on the board. They'd leave the last .5 completely unaddressable and use system ram and then not own up to it?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
That Radeon video is Uhh really bad

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bleh Maestro posted:

That Radeon video is Uhh really bad

They've made a bunch of those over the years and they are all awful.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

Without knowing anything about that guy, except that he can't spell,

Not everyone's first language is English, to be fair to him.

If you haven't heard of ENB Series, it's a set of shader mods and so on that inject into games to change their appearance. Very popular with certain game modders for adding effects beyond anything the game originally had.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 1, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Yaos posted:

Nvidia just can't catch a break. The guy behind the ENBSeries of graphical enhancements is saying the 970 does not have .5 GB of slow VRAM, it only has 3.5 GB of VRAM and uses system memory for the last .5 GB! Not verified by other people yet, nor is there is an explanation why the benchmarks on the .5 GB is faster than system RAM.

This is unbelievably horseshit, but of course the Nvidia hate brigade on Reddit et al. are jumping all over it. Its like the claims earlier this week that GSync was just FreeSync with DRM and a fake controller board, which got hundreds of people behind it on reddit before it was outed as fake.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wasn't the ENB guy real crazy back in the day coding everything on like a 2/3 year old GPU because he refused to upgrade?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't the ENB guy real crazy back in the day coding everything on like a 2/3 year old GPU because he refused to upgrade?

Pretty sure he still does.

I remember not being able to run one ENB on my 5850 a couple years back because the card was "too new".

e: The guy also does super strange EXE/DLL packing to most versions of his mods that sets off virus false positives from time to time because he's paranoid people will rip him off.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 1, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, I don't buy the idea that there is only 3.5GB on the card or that it's entirely disabled. It would be super hilarious if it were true, can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth over something like that? :allears:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

GSync was just FreeSync with DRM and a fake controller board, which got hundreds of people behind it on reddit before it was outed as fake.

Uh, but wasn't it shown that Mobile G-Sync is pretty much just that. The regular desktop version is no doubt different, though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Uh, but wasn't it shown that Mobile G-Sync is pretty much just that. The regular desktop version is no doubt different, though.

I was referring to this bullshit.

And it makes sense that the mobile variant doesn't require the GSync module given that eDP has had variable blanking since the dawn of time, so no need for either the module or AdaptiveSync.

It makes sense using the capabilities of eDP for mobile GSync because its there, and using the module for desktop GSync because the capabilities aren't there (GSync predates AdaptiveSync, which is a 1.2a standard anyway which Nvidia cards don't have the connector for). Nvidia has done literally nothing shady here. If in the future they don't provide driver support for AdaptiveSync when the hardware is there, yeah that's a dick move, but we've not come to that yet.

PCPer even touted the module version as providing a better experience, with graphs and everything to back it up.

PCPer posted:

We have already pointed out one specific instance where the G-Sync module and the included frame buffer have improved the experience: frame rates under 30 FPS

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did the ENB guy ever actually upgrade to a 64-bit system?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
ENB guy uses TempleOS.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this.

My computer won't play my HD-Master Audio files (currently using XBMC), the picture lags to slow-mo like and I get no audio at all.

What does this mean? Do I need to upgrade my graphics card? Audio? etc.?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

BurritoJustice posted:

I was referring to this bullshit.

And it makes sense that the mobile variant doesn't require the GSync module given that eDP has had variable blanking since the dawn of time, so no need for either the module or AdaptiveSync.

It makes sense using the capabilities of eDP for mobile GSync because its there, and using the module for desktop GSync because the capabilities aren't there (GSync predates AdaptiveSync, which is a 1.2a standard anyway which Nvidia cards don't have the connector for). Nvidia has done literally nothing shady here. If in the future they don't provide driver support for AdaptiveSync when the hardware is there, yeah that's a dick move, but we've not come to that yet.

PCPer even touted the module version as providing a better experience, with graphs and everything to back it up.

What's funny is that the AdaptiveSync spec is just adding the existing eDP capabilities to the regular Display Port specs. This is going to make it difficult for Nvidia to claim that they can't support AdaptiveSync on the desktop since they've already implemented it for eDP connected cards.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I finally got a job so I'll be upgrading my GPU soon. Currently I have a 770, and I'm having trouble running games like Assassins Creed Unity and Dying Light, without being kicked back to my desktop due to "Low Memory" Is this an issue solved by getting a 4GB GPU, or is more RAM needed, since I only have 8.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

So I finally got a job so I'll be upgrading my GPU soon. Currently I have a 770, and I'm having trouble running games like Assassins Creed Unity and Dying Light, without being kicked back to my desktop due to "Low Memory" Is this an issue solved by getting a 4GB GPU, or is more RAM needed, since I only have 8.

Low memory is RAM. Turn down view distance in dying light. ACU is a slog of a game.

Im running 8GB now, but don't run into Low Memory problems. It helps not having things going on in the background. I have 17 tabs open in chrome and I'm using 65% of my RAM. This is on a 3 week old installation of Windows 7. If I were to play a game right now I probably would get into low RAM situations.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 3, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

That's an issue with lovely coding and memory leaks. Those 2 games are probably the worst offenders of being poo poo.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Ah, alright shows how much I know. So do I just put off playing them till they are patched to working order?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Ah, alright shows how much I know. So do I just put off playing them till they are patched to working order?

No idea about Unity, but Dying Light hasn't crashed or run out of memory ever for me with 8 gigs and a 970.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been trying to follow the whole GTX 970 ram fiasco, but I can't tell what's hyperbole and what's actual cause for concern. I'm running a single GTX 970, and I play games on 2560x1440p monitor which is where I've read people can run into issues. Do I have something to actually be concerned about or is it all hot water?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

I've been trying to follow the whole GTX 970 ram fiasco, but I can't tell what's hyperbole and what's actual cause for concern. I'm running a single GTX 970, and I play games on 2560x1440p monitor which is where I've read people can run into issues. Do I have something to actually be concerned about or is it all hot water?
You tell us buddy, you're the one using the thing. Are you happy with the performance of your system?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

awesmoe posted:

You tell us buddy, you're the one using the thing. Are you happy with the performance of your system?

I actually don't know. I got the card recently, and I haven't been playing anything taxing on it. It was actually a christmas gift in anticipation for the Witcher III. If I have stuttering while trying to play the Witcher because of this issue I'm not going to be happy, so I'm trying to sort it out now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Megasabin posted:

Ehhh, no one really knows yet. Assuming that we really know everything there is to know about this issue you can treat the 970 like a 3.5GB card that does not choke up quite as badly when it goes over 3.5GB as a real 3.5GB card would. That last .5GB is vastly slower than the first 3.5GB but not nearly as slow as system memory.

EDIT: Sorry to say this but we'll only know about how it handles TW3 once it's out and benchmarked.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 3, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fat_Cow posted:

Unity might be patched somewhere in the far future but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Dying light on the other hand is very playable at 1080p 60fps at minimum settings on my 760. Bear in mind that at bare minimum settings Dying Light looks like BF4 on med/high so it's not an ugly experience.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Megasabin posted:

I actually don't know. I got the card recently, and I haven't been playing anything taxing on it. It was actually a christmas gift in anticipation for the Witcher III. If I have stuttering while trying to play the Witcher because of this issue I'm not going to be happy, so I'm trying to sort it out now.

Just as a general FYI, you shouldn't really buy computer hardware in anticipation of a game that is 6 months away. I know Christmas complicates that but yeah, a lot can change in that time and nobody knows how stuff works with a game til it gets out there.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Megasabin posted:

That last .5gb of ram doesn't exist as far as most games are concerned. I played Dark Souls 2 at 4k fine but it's not exactly thew most vram intensive thing. Setting Shadow of Mordor up to use HD textures which lists as using 6+ gb of vram still only uses 3.5gb max on the card. It's hard to say if it'll mess you up. Depends on the driver and game's vram allocation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easy way to set up an alert or on screen display to see when a game goes past 3.5? Then I can just turn the textures down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zero VGS posted:

Is there an easy way to set up an alert or on screen display to see when a game goes past 3.5? Then I can just turn the textures down a bit.

If it's not affecting you to the point where you're noticing performance drops, why would you care