Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

Blasmeister posted:

It's sort of fascinating, how badly WWE seems to hurt the heat of heels who feud with John Cena. Is it the storyline during the feud, the matches, how WWE treats them afterwards, the way Cena is viewed as all important or Cena himself that manages to make any credible heel look like nothing once Cenawinzlol?

I think having Cena win is a reiteration of marketing being more important than compelling stories and unique personalities. I spend most of my day working so I can have money to survive, I watch WWE because I want to forget about that and see some authentic performances (even though it's fake).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Rusev is the exact kind of guy they could build the future around but they won't because he isn't cena or reigns.

He's got that funny accent going on too. He'll be 2015's Bray Wyatt.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Blasmeister posted:

It's sort of fascinating, how badly WWE seems to hurt the heat of heels who feud with John Cena. Is it the storyline during the feud, the matches, how WWE treats them afterwards, the way Cena is viewed as all important or Cena himself that manages to make any credible heel look like nothing once Cenawinzlol?

It's probably because every Cena feud has multiple encounters where he not only decisively wins but laughs off any threat from the person. It destroys any sort of mystique that's been built up for the heel.

If Cena has one match with Rusev at WrestleMania and then they get him the hell away from Cena, he'll be fine. But knowing the WWE, they'll have them interact at every Raw and PPV until Extreme Rules where Rusev will essentially be transformed into Umaga.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It's the same reason that Cena 'had to' beat up the whole Wyatt family after Brock trashed him at Summerslam. Vince seems to honestly believe that if Cena looks weak in ANY way, every single child fan will lose faith and stop giving Vince all the merchandise money. Nothing you say or do will convince Vince otherwise.

So, we keep booing Reigns. Maybe it will finally make Vince's brain crack in two.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Blasmeister posted:

Yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Rusev is the exact kind of guy they could build the future around but they won't because he isn't cena or reigns.

Why exactly? He's completely stagnated in the last few months, (his overselling probably doesn't help his unbeatable monster aura) he's never had a great match and most of his act is Lana.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

With his selling and (especially) his facial expressions I can see Rusev working out extremely well as a babyface, but it's hard to get a grasp of what he'd be as a main event worker.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Fat Lowtax posted:

With his selling and (especially) his facial expressions I can see Rusev working out extremely well as a babyface, but it's hard to get a grasp of what he'd be as a main event worker.

Just imagine the first time he turns face and turns to the camera and makes that big screaming face he does with his arms out wide. The crowd is gonna wild for him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LoboLoboLobo posted:

Just imagine the first time he turns face and turns to the camera and makes that big screaming face he does with his arms out wide. The crowd is gonna wild for him.

Just wait until they find out he's a Clippers fan and start booing him again!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I don't want to wish permanent disability upon anyone except Kevin Dunn, but I wish Cena and Reigns would both go on the shelf simultaneously for a couple of months to scare Vince into actually elevating some other guys. He's been very fortunate to have his Ace stay healthy for as long as Cena has.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

Why exactly? He's completely stagnated in the last few months, (his overselling probably doesn't help his unbeatable monster aura) he's never had a great match and most of his act is Lana.

He has big muscles.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think he oversells and his selling makes him look great because no matter how hurt you get him, he pushes through and beats you clean. I also think he's had plenty of good matches and would have a great match if given time and the right opponent (as is true with much of the roster).

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

I don't want to wish permanent disability upon anyone except Kevin Dunn, but I wish Cena and Reigns would both go on the shelf simultaneously for a couple of months to scare Vince into actually elevating some other guys. He's been very fortunate to have his Ace stay healthy for as long as Cena has.

I can only assume "healthy" is in relative terms and any sane (i.e. not on Vince's payroll) doctor can probably find a bunch of reasons for Cena to spend a couple months on the shelf if he did an evaluation today.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't think he oversells and his selling makes him look great because no matter how hurt you get him, he pushes through and beats you clean. I also think he's had plenty of good matches and would have a great match if given time and the right opponent (as is true with much of the roster).

Sure, but his ceiling as a foreign heel is a match against the top face in the company at Wrestlemania. Besides him almost losing to Jack Swagger and Mark Henry for a year isn't what got him over as a heel, it's entirely the Russian gimmick and Lana antagonizing crowds.

Dude definitely is more than a one trick pony and should have a long career, but that gimmick has a short shelf life. It's tailor made to be fed to Cena.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Neodoomium posted:

Deep down inside, you know that as soon as either of them were ready to come back whoever got shuffled into the main event in their place will turn into a comedy jobber. Look at how Ziggler looked for a bit while Reigns was out, now he's back to where he was before because he isn't needed. They gave him the win over The Authority, then brought them back when Reigns was good to go so that he could probably kill them at some point.

As far as the assassination of Rusev goes, I can't wait for Cena to lure Lana away with his charms and just work on turning Rusev into Zack Russian one step at a time until we only see him like four times a year on Main Event and Superstars.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

last time something like this happened each episode of raw for two months ended with the authority standing over bryan's beaten body

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's actually pretty fun that Rusev can hardly even be considered a heel, except for the fact he's Russian and his manager is a super heely heel. He doesn't particularly cheat, he just wins a lot over people that are liked.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DeathChicken posted:

he just wins a lot over people that are liked.

Somewhere, Vince read this post and began booking Reigns' feuds for the year: heel Ambrose and heel Bryan.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't get why all you smarks don't see how this is an attempt to turn everyone heel so the only face left is Reigns. If everyone's a heel, how can you boo him? It's just logic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Authorman posted:

Sure, but his ceiling as a giant monster heel is a match against the top face in the company at Halloween Havoc.

Dude definitely is more than a one trick pony and should have a long career, but that gimmick has a short shelf life. It's tailor made to be fed to Hulk Hogan.

There's probably a better analogy but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

last time something like this happened each episode of raw for two months ended with the authority standing over bryan's beaten body

Oh yeah, WM 30 being good clouds how absolutely horrendous everything prior to WM 30 was

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Neodoomium posted:

Oh yeah, WM 30 being good clouds how absolutely horrendous everything prior to WM 30 was

the build to WM30 once it became obvious the direction was bryan in the main event was really good actually

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's probably a better analogy but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Rusev is Umaga 2 down to a manager who calls for the devastating, highly protected finisher. Rusev actually has less offense, frankly. He exists to get build up and fed to Cena, then crap around as a midcard heel. I really wonder how much future Lana has, she's hot and a fine heel but the Russia gimmick is super limiting. Do you see her managing anyone else--what's her motivation/personality?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

King Bahamut posted:

Rusev is Umaga 2 down to a manager who calls for the devastating, highly protected finisher. Rusev actually has less offense, frankly. He exists to get build up and fed to Cena, then crap around as a midcard heel. I really wonder how much future Lana has, she's hot and a fine heel but the Russia gimmick is super limiting. Do you see her managing anyone else--what's her motivation/personality?

Umaga would have been in a good place if he could have kept his drug issues in check. He was someone they would use as a foil for the top babyface or the guy they wanted in that position (Lashley.) If that is Rusev's ceiling it's great for him.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

King Bahamut posted:

Make Hideo Itami Chinese, turn Lana Soviet, Communist Comrades

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Spermgod posted:

the build to WM30 once it became obvious the direction was bryan in the main event was really good actually

Yeah there's just as much reason why bryan/authority was best feud of 2014 as why bryan/authority was the worst feud of 2013

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Bahamut posted:

Escuchame... ha... ha, I forgot about Armondo completely until this post, I'm glad he's back in my brain. I think Lana will do great even if she split with Rusev if he turns face or something like that. She could be paired up with some heel in the divas division, she could be a heel manager for some tag-team, anything really. Just an entertaining character, could even be a heel who books matches like Kane currently does.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

If they ever did a brand split again, Lana would make a great GM for Smackdown.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Spermgod posted:

agreed. they may have stumbled into it but was accidentally a hell of a storyline.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GrimGypsy posted:

If they ever did a brand split again, Lana would make a great GM for Smackdown.

Yes, WWE is sorely lacking in authority figures right now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MotU posted:

Make Hideo Itami Chinese, turn Lana Soviet, Communist Comrades

All we'll get out of that is a Cena promo referencing the Sino-Soviet split.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
According to Court Bauer and Alex Greenfield, that was a Rumble booked by Michael Hayes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Daniel Bryan posted:

According to Court Bauer and Alex Greenfield, that was a Rumble booked by Michael Hayes.

God to know he is as lovely at booking a Rumble as he is at dressing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why does that not surprise me at all?

I just tried to look up that Dear Seth video from last year and it's been taken down for copyright violations. :(

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is there anything Michael Hayes is good at?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

Lmfao

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

Being a racist

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Daniel Bryan posted:

If only that crazed bird seller on the JBL & Cole Show had taken him out...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

keevo posted:

I hear he was in a tag team once that was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

keevo posted:

Making Mark Henry cry.

• Locked thread