Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

kemikalkadet posted:

Someone who isn't in the beta try this and see if it works. I wonder if it's just that they let people with beta access into it or if it's accessible from regular wargaming accounts. I don't have any bandwidth allowance until next month or I'd try it myself.

I haven't been in on the beta weekends, and it's not working for me. Oh well.

In other news, if anyone has a friend they're looking to torture invite to the game, there's a new invite code going on: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/16706-begin-your-unicum-journey-in-style-with-the-wotlabs-invite-code/
(NA only apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If someone who has the updated client could post the last line in WOWSlauncher.cfg (open in notepad), I would appreciate it so I could check whether beta weekend people who can't see that page can log in.
Relevant line.

quote:

patch_info_urls>
<item>http://update-bwk2.worldofwarships.com</item>
</patch_info_urls>

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

People who've been making it work should probably be checking on the forums what group they're in.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

Confirming that this works. The link for NA is http://worldofwarships.com/en/cbt/game_download/1. You need to be logged in to your Wargaming account before you can download it.

Edit: Holy poo poo the Kitakami! All those torpedoes! :captainpop:

Nope, still doesn't work for me. Guess I wasn't one of the lucky few.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

subhelios posted:

On the other hand, is the T69 as good as the test server makes it seem to be? My first game in it was 5-kill, 4000 damage :stare:.
I think I'm going to get it whether it is or not.

Not really.
It is decent while going all gold, but otherwise it was somewhat of a disappointment.
Low pen, low alpha, bad accuracy and only 1k burst damage means you can't ammodump in the same way as in a 50 100.
T54E1 is however great since it is a tier9 tank with the ammo dump capacity of a T57 Heavy which gets to see tier7 tanks.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

xthetenth posted:

People who've been making it work should probably be checking on the forums what group they're in.

Weekend tester. Same as always.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cardiac posted:

Not really.
It is decent while going all gold, but otherwise it was somewhat of a disappointment.
Low pen, low alpha, bad accuracy and only 1k burst damage means you can't ammodump in the same way as in a 50 100.
T54E1 is however great since it is a tier9 tank with the ammo dump capacity of a T57 Heavy which gets to see tier7 tanks.

I disagree. Some people love it, others not so much, but I'm in the "love it" category.

You can't do as much damage as a 50 100, but a 50 100 is a heavy so you shouldn't expect to. But find a 50 100 who has already taken 2 shots from someone else and he's dead.

That goes for everything your tier and above. Think of yourself in the T69 as a closer. Find two heavies brawling, let them trade a few shots, then run in and put four shots into the enemy heavy's side and rear end. (it would be nice if you could count on pubbies to follow you a second or two later and abuse your target while he's desperately trying to turn and aim at you, but no... so you better make sure his health is low enough for you to finish him.)

You usually can't kill tanks with full health so look for ones that are already damaged. You don't have great pen, so you can't take much on frontally and you need to aim. But it's relatively fast and maneuverable. You often need to be willing to take a shot or two to position yourself in a spot where you can empty your clip without any bounces.

I like the T54E1, but the much longer reload can be very annoying. You need to play it a lot more cautiously. I prefer the T69.

disclaimer: I'm not good at tanks and my t69 has a 3.6 skill crew.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 31, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Viperidae posted:

Weekend tester. Same as always.

Same here. I literally played only three games during the second weekend too.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
TANKER TALK:

No vehicle in the US army uses keys, they're all push-to-start or crank-start and are secured by "combat locking" all but one entrance, which is secured by a padlock.

The Abrams engine runs on jet fuel. Though technically, so does every US Army vehicle.

Driving an Abrams is more like driving a motorcycle than a tractor or a truck. A 1600hp, 72 ton motorcycle.

You use one of these to transport a tank!

You use one of these to tow a tank!

The driver's hole and the turret are linked by a tunnel that is only accessible if the turret is turned 90 degrees off the right of the tank.

The Abrams can nearly stop on a dime, thanks to a very powerful hydraulic braking plate on both drive wheels. Inexperienced drivers are taught early not to use this except in emergencies (72 tons will stop all on its own just fine if you take your hands of the accelerator). Many commanders have lost teeth or broken noses by slamming their faces into the M2 .50 cal after a driver panicked and slammed the brake suddenly.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'd just like to point out that the Abrams is an ugly tank and that the best looking MBT in the world is the Leopard 2A#.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 31, 2015

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

SoUncool posted:

Driving an Abrams is more like driving a motorcycle than a tractor or a truck. A 1600hp, 72 ton motorcycle.

I know Americans are supposedly fat but how many of them do you have to put in an Abrams to make it weigh 72 tons? :psyduck:

Agrajag posted:

I'd just like to point out that the Abrams is an ugly tank and that the best looking MBT in the world is the Leopard 2A#.

I kind of like how the Type 10 looks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The Type 10 looks like someone watched too much Gundam movies or something. nvm it seems a lot of tanks look like that now lol but what is up with the mud flaps

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 31, 2015

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Keksen posted:

I know Americans are supposedly fat but how many of them do you have to put in an Abrams to make it weigh 72 tons? :psyduck:

I kind of like how the Type 10 looks.

wiki is wrong. Abrams weighs on the heavy side of 70 tons, then you add ammo, BII and fuel, it comes just shy of 72 tons.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Agrajag posted:

The Leopard 2 keeps up the tradition of German tanks being shaped like boxes.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Agrajag posted:

The Type 10 looks like someone watched too much Gundam movies or something. nvm it seems a lot of tanks look like that now lol but what is up with the mud flaps

Can't have your shiny new tank get dirty now.

SoUncool posted:

wiki is wrong. Abrams weighs on the heavy side of 70 tons, then you add ammo, BII and fuel, it comes just shy of 72 tons.

Yeah, well, that's like, really heavy, man.

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Leopard 2 keeps up the tradition of German tanks being shaped like boxes.

Except even in your picture it isn't, not to mention the A5 and later versions. To be honest, a lot of the non-Russian MBTs look really similar to each other nowadays.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the US Abrams goes with the the American mentality of "we want everything" so the end product is really heavy. Lots of armor, a big stabilized gun, and fast. But the trade off is weight and an insane fuel consumption rate.

And the reason the Leopard 2 and the Abrams look similar is because they are the products of a joint effort to develop an MBT between the US and Germany. Hell, the 120mm cannon shared by both tanks is developed by Rhinemetal. And with the success of the Leopard 2 in Germany, a lot of other NATO powers wanted to model their tanks after it. The US's non-NATO allies borrowed heavily from the Abrams in their development, too. Which is why most NATO tanks look the same - developed from two tanks which were developed from one source.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

SoUncool posted:

Yeah, the US Abrams goes with the the American mentality of "we want everything" so the end product is really heavy. Lots of armor, a big stabilized gun, and fast. But the trade off is weight and an insane fuel consumption rate.

And the reason the Leopard 2 and the Abrams look similar is because they are the products of a joint effort to develop an MBT between the US and Germany. Hell, the 120mm cannon shared by both tanks is developed by Rhinemetal. And with the success of the Leopard 2 in Germany, a lot of other NATO powers wanted to model their tanks after it. The US's non-NATO allies borrowed heavily from the Abrams in their development, too. Which is why most NATO tanks look the same - developed from two tanks which were developed from one source.

The reason why most NATO MBT's look the same is more due to the limitations of the ceramic/steel/X composite armour than anything else. The Dorchester and successive types of armour can't be moulded and work best in flat sheets hence why all the MBT's are giant slabby things (but the composite is actually less dense than the same thickness of steel so its not as heavy as you would expect). The latest Leopard has a sleeker turret but thats just steel vanity panels that are designed to be replaced.

Plus the west wants to select its tank crews from the best of the selection pool and to have some degree of comfort so the tanks are much bigger (and the Chally and Abrams have a hot water kettle on board). The Russians just built tanks for borderline midgets and gently caress comfort.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Challenger 2 looks like a loaf of bread at certain angles.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Baby's first chatban!

I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long. I'm generally not shy about telling people how worthless they are and that arty should go kill itself and stuff like that. No idea what actually brought this ban on though. I mean, secually excplicit content? I don't remember doing that at all...any way I can find out exactly what I got banned for?

Edit: jesus loving christ this is the most terrible thing ever. I just watched a 10k 54% dude with 60% in his Chaffee park behind a JT88 and proceed to bounce off him repeatedly, since the dumb gently caress was autoaiming and not shooting the goddamned ammo hatch at the back. So he switched to HE. 30 seconds later the JT88 has lost like 200hp. And I'm chatbanned and couldn't tell the guy to stop being a loving retard. UGH.

Valle fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 1, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Valle posted:

I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long. I'm generally not shy about telling people how worthless they are and that arty should go kill itself and stuff like that. No idea what actually brought this ban on though. I mean, secually excplicit content? I don't remember doing that at all...any way I can find out exactly what I got banned for?

Send a ticket into support asking what you were chatbanned for with that "CAA-788-37501" code. They'll get back to you within a day or two.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

When's winter mode ending? Trying to grind some botes stuff.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

Sometimes you just get some glorious fascist box tank DPM flying, I could have easily gotten past 6k damage and 8+ kills if that loving Comet on my team didn't follow me around like a parasite and jump right infront of all the tanks I was murdering

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Just wondering, but is botes going to allow people to name their ships? This is important.

McGavin posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo the Kitakami! All those torpedoes! :captainpop:

They were uniquely classed as torpedo cruisers for a reason. Given that those are all oxygen-fueled, too, it's probably the most "Live fast, go out with a bang!:black101:" ship class imaginable even with the armored launchers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Are there any mods for telling what bushes have what camo values while you're in game? If you're in a Dense Bush (50% camo) with the 13 90 you can easily get up to 85-90% camo and be a ninja :ninja:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Magni posted:

Just wondering, but is botes going to allow people to name their ships? This is important.
No ship names so far.
Allegedly it'll let you name them, but you'll be limited to the historical ship names from that class. I don't know how that'll work out with the paper designs.

As long as you get all the historical names I guess that's okay. Flying French flags on your German destroyers (coming before British ships :wtf:) and South American flags on US ships is the next best thing to HMS What Are The Civilian Applications?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

James Garfield posted:

No ship names so far.
Allegedly it'll let you name them, but you'll be limited to the historical ship names from that class. I don't know how that'll work out with the paper designs.

As long as you get all the historical names I guess that's okay. Flying French flags on your German destroyers (coming before British ships :wtf:) and South American flags on US ships is the next best thing to HMS What Are The Civilian Applications?
Wait really? I thought it was USA/Japan->Russia->Britain->Germany. Britain is the only other nation with actual ships for the majority of their trees.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

sarmhan posted:

Wait really? I thought it was USA/Japan->Russia->Britain->Germany. Britain is the only other nation with actual ships for the majority of their trees.
But the BISMARRRRRRRRRCK or something.

Honestly I'm shocked they went with Japan so early. It makes sense, but the fan base for the other nations has got to be way larger.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

cheese posted:

Honestly I'm shocked they went with Japan so early. It makes sense, but the fan base for the other nations has got to be way larger.

They needed an Axis vs. Allies thing going for the whole WW2 experience. US and UK lines might be the fullest trees, but US vs. UK would be a really weird starting concept.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Do any of the allied nations have obsessive idiot followers who can't be happy with anything else? Gotta cater to the idiots who insist on loving nazi stuff in particular and don't even know what an SMS Emden is (probably some text message thing).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Probably some Russians, I've heard the T-62A is bonkers popular on the RU server (I actually hear it has depressed wn8 values compared to what it "should" have because hordes of Russians playing their beloved staple tank has dragged its expected values down), though I have no numbers to back that idea up.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think there's any shortage of americans who absolutely have to play their granpa's ship the USS Full of Semen or englishmen nostalgic for the good ol' days of empire (which totally wasn't crumbling at the time).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

I don't think there's any shortage of americans who absolutely have to play their granpa's ship the USS Full of Semen or englishmen nostalgic for the good ol' days of empire (which totally wasn't crumbling at the time).

From what I've seen depressingly few compared to the numbers of people who want to drive the Bismarck, Prinz Eugen (How do you even like that class they didn't do anything special) and other horrid wastes of schiffbaustahl.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Prinz Eugen (How do you even like that class they didn't do anything special)

Its greatest accomplishment was getting nuked, so that's something, I guess?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

xthetenth posted:

From what I've seen depressingly few compared to the numbers of people who want to drive the Bismarck, Prinz Eugen (How do you even like that class they didn't do anything special) and other horrid wastes of schiffbaustahl.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 1, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So did other better ships.

I'm not joking when I say the entire Nazi surface navy was less effective at its assigned task than an obsolete Imperial German light cruiser in WWI. The Emden became two words in South/Southeast Asian languages, the only use I've found for Bismarck as a word is "rudder destroyed and getting pounded".

If I could have one wish in this life, I would've made the kancolle German ships burly beefcake versions of their mustachioed Prussian namesakes and basked in the tears.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yamato <3

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Prav posted:

Just lol if you think english people give the tiniest poo poo about their navy in ww2, much less any association with THE EMPIRE.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

If I could have one wish in this life, I would've made the kancolle German ships burly beefcake versions of their mustachioed Prussian namesakes and basked in the tears.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
That is the most perfect Wehraboo picture I must frame it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Yamato <3

Anime: totally not rapey guys.