Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Too obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is such a perfect picture for this thread.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus is racist?

Mary Worth

Sean Hastings wants to be married to Sean Hastings?

Rex Morgan MD

Will Kelly find the garage door? Will she make it back up? Will she touch anything in the basement? I can't stand the suspense there's just too much happening here!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (February 2, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (March 16, 1952)

Just because he's not chasing the Hun across the French skies doesn't mean that early Snoopy didn't have a vivid fantasy life.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Sean Hastings wants to be married to Sean Hastings?

Didn't these two just meet like a week and a half ago in-comic time?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I know it's usually dull as dishwater, but the rivalry between the writer and artist of Apartment 3G reached new heights this week as Margo decided to hit up a cafe.

On a street corner.

Then followed this woman back to her apartment and told her about her life.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PIE!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

I know it's usually dull as dishwater, but the rivalry between the writer and artist of Apartment 3G reached new heights this week as Margo decided to hit up a cafe.

On a street corner.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PIE!

This is everything I never knew I wanted. Frank Bolle is the art version of that one tenured professor in every history department who doesn't take on grad students, has his TAs lecture for him, and doesn't go to office hours.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Guys, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to like the art teacher; all the students/faculty but Luann (who will REALLY understand him!!) will turn against him, especially Tiffany.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleDonut posted:

Guys, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to like the art teacher; all the students/faculty but Luann (who will REALLY understand him!!) will turn against him, especially Tiffany.

I still think the guy is trolling his students by doing a 'pretentious art teacher' character.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

On a street corner.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PIE!

This is loving amazing. How in the gently caress does Bolle still have a job?

e: This is the least surprising thing I've seen in a while.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 1, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Say Nothing posted:

I still think the guy is trolling his students by doing a 'pretentious art teacher' character.
It would be funny if they came back the next day and he was just a normal dude loving with them, but I feel like Luann isn't allowed to have that many layers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Barney & Clyde

I don't get it. :confused:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: This is the least surprising thing I've seen in a while.

It would be one thing if this was an isolated fuckup, but there was also the fancy restaurant/apartment fuckup last month, too. A3G needs a new artist more than any other zombie comic at this point

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

It would be one thing if this was an isolated fuckup, but there was also the fancy restaurant/apartment fuckup last month, too. A3G needs a new artist more than any other zombie comic at this point
I say the writer needs to keep feeding increasingly exotic locales and action scenes and such to the artist, so we get people standing around shown from the waist up on a street or in an apartment while the dialogue and narration says they've over a volcano threatening each other over the diamonds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

Barney & Clyde

I don't get it. :confused:
The ruru is a native owl.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts demonstrates the power of patience. (February 4, 1968)

And on the flip side of "the power of patience", a reminder of something else you could be doing right now instead of wasting your time reading Funky Winkerbean.

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1941, because in 1942 they'd have to recycle those tin cars for bomber parts. V for victory.)

Pogo (January 24, 1971)

Out Our Way (July 21-22, 1926)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

This hits a little too close to home.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

And on the flip side of "the power of patience", a reminder of something else you could be doing right now instead of wasting your time reading Funky Winkerbean.

So you have to cheat the sum, ignore the fact that if Douglas Adams hadn't died he probably would've released a sixth book, and disregard the estate authorized sixth book (Okay, fair cop on that last one)... at least when Pastis strains for a joke it actually loving works, Batiuk.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SomeMathGuy posted:

So you have to cheat the sum, ignore the fact that if Douglas Adams hadn't died he probably would've released a sixth book, and disregard the estate authorized sixth book (Okay, fair cop on that last one)... at least when Pastis strains for a joke it actually loving works, Batiuk.

Man, allow the people of Funky Winkerbean to find happiness where they can. Bad jokes and smugness are all they have.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

No teen has said get this in this century.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did everyone die at the end of the 5th book anyway? Adams considered the series done as a trilogy, but his publisher forced him to write more. So, he killed everyone off, and destroyed all earths in every possible dimension, so that there could be no more books.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

with a small bonus today! Apparently the frizzy haired lady in the dress that's regularly in the comic is based on Boyce's sister, Irma. And it is/was her birthday soon/recently! So happy birthday, Boyce sister!

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

DoubleDonut posted:

Doesn't Tiffany go to a different college with Bernice? I only half paid attention because the whole mystery no-show roommate storyline was so stupid.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because the entire syndicated comic industry runs on rampant nepotism and cronyism and resistance to change.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 1, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hey, remember how I used to post 1940s Mandrake the Magician but then just suddenly stopped for no reason? Well now I'm just suddenly starting again for no reason. When I left off, Mandrake was fighting the Japs.

Tiggum posted:

Mandrake the Magician (1942-06-07)

So here are the next three (the 14th, 21st and 28th of June 1942). I'll post a few each day until we're caught up with Comics Kingdom and then try to keep up with the "new" one each week.

Ghostlight posted:

The ruru is a native owl.
That wasn't the part that was confusing me. Why did she get called to the principal's office?

Midnight Moth posted:

Doesn't Tiffany go to a different college with Bernice?
Yep.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Hey, remember how I used to post 1940s Mandrake the Magician but then just suddenly stopped for no reason? Well now I'm just suddenly starting again for no reason. When I left off, Mandrake was fighting the Japs.

So here are the next three (the 14th, 21st and 28th of June 1942). I'll post a few each day until we're caught up with Comics Kingdom and then try to keep up with the "new" one each week.

That wasn't the part that was confusing me. Why did she get called to the principal's office?

Yep.

It's kind of weird to see Mandrake murdering his way through the IJN with gun, grenade and bayonet, rather than I dunno, making them hallucinate that they're being attacked by a swarm of bees, or something. Nice to see him wearing his tux, though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Did he give her comic tits?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

You may be overthinking the comic about New Zealand owls.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe that terrible death or ruru joke.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

If Marcus's scarf were just a little more red with the blue this would work as an in-joke--they'd be wearing Sounders and Revolution scarves, the soccer teams from (and in Revs' case same ownership as) the Super Bowl cities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You may be overthinking the comic about New Zealand owls.

The Sphinxster posted:

Maybe that terrible death or ruru joke.

Huh? Does "ruru" mean something other than a type of owl? I'm really lost here.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pastry of the Year posted:

The only place I follow comic strips these days is in this thread and I had actually come to believe, without any sort of actual evidence, that Crankshaft had ended since we know he's dead over in Funky.

Crankshaft was in a nursing home, last I saw.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Compu-Toon

with a small bonus today! Apparently the frizzy haired lady in the dress that's regularly in the comic is based on Boyce's sister, Irma. And it is/was her birthday soon/recently! So happy birthday, Boyce sister!

haha, he based one of the characters off his sister? Shine on you crazy computer comic drawing diamond.

Also happy 80th Boyce's sister!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shadeoses posted:

It's kind of weird to see Mandrake murdering his way through the IJN with gun, grenade and bayonet, rather than I dunno, making them hallucinate that they're being attacked by a swarm of bees, or something. Nice to see him wearing his tux, though.

I can only assume that "Japs" aren't worth the effort.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

Huh? Does "ruru" mean something other than a type of owl? I'm really lost here.

Ruru sounds a bit like a euphemism for sex Tig. I think that's it in its entirety.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There are all these dumb jokes where explorers are captured by savages and given the choice between death or ruru. Some of those explorers pick ruru and something awful happens to their bottoms usually. So the last explorer picks death and the big man of the savages gives the punchline "OK death, but first... ruru!"

I have no idea if that was the intent, but it was the first thing I thought of. I have always thought Futurama was referring to those jokes with snusnu from their Amazon planet episode.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the strip basically assumes the audience knows about a type of really bad and weirdly niche culturally/racially insensitive joke to begin with in order to "get" it?

Sounds about right for that strip.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think that's about the size of it.

edit: but of course it could be even more obscure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Arelon posted:

Fingerpori

Translation error - you meant "with", not "by". (Presumably in Finnish these are the same word.)

• Locked thread