Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

archerb posted:

I talked a few friends into watching this and let me say this was a pretty bad card from a drunk casual POV

I talked a few of my drunk friends into watching this and while they were sort of bored they also liked nick diaz making an rear end of himself and the first 3 fights were good. It wasn't a great card for drunk casual people but it was miles better than the last one Jones vs Cormier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

archerb posted:

I talked a few friends into watching this and let me say this was a pretty bad card from a drunk casual POV

I watched the iaquinta fight. The rest of the card I practiced the cha cha cha while listening to the spanish commentary. I'm happy with my choices

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Turns out that "low kick" in Spanish is "low kick"

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Ginette Reno posted:

I felt like Silva was starting to fight okay the second time until his leg turned into jelly. It still looked like Weidman was going to win but I remember Anderson starting to get some striking going until he threw that fateful kick.

e: But yeah unless he fights 100 times better than he did tonight he'd probably get murdered

anderson got dropped immediately after the rematch started, then they struck for a while, which weidman was getting the better of the entire time, then silva's leg broke, if anything he looked worse in that fight. during the first one he at least landed some good leg kicks.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Don't forget when Weidman threatened him with a no gi Ezekiel from guard of all ridiculous things

Decades fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 1, 2015

Dirt
May 26, 2003

1st AD posted:

Anderson easily double legged Chael Sonnen.

Chael had Anderson on his back for 4.9 rounds in the first fight.

First round of the second fight too. Then Silva stuffed one takedown and went off on Chael.

Travis Lutter mounted Silva.

Silva's grappling is his weakspot. Weidman is a good grappler with power. It's a nightmare matchup for him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dirt posted:

Basically Anderson can't wrestle. It's his only flaw. The takedown threat ruins his entire game.

Lucky for him Weidman can't stay healthy, and Anderson can maybe get the belt back without ever having to fight Weidman again haha

edit: Nick Diaz has the GOAT chin. Anderson put dudes at 205 away, Nick ate a bunch of shots and kept plodding forward.

Other GOAT chins - Demian Maia, Thales Leites

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fatherdog posted:

In fact Anderson was terrified of Maia's striking and ran away from him for the last 2 rounds.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I can't comment on the Leites fight, I don't think I have ever seen it.

But the Maia fight, Anderson danced around for three rounds and still beat the poo poo out of Maia.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
demian maia hit anderson more and harder than nick diaz
jake shields is the goat

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I felt like Silva was starting to fight okay the second time until his leg turned into jelly. It still looked like Weidman was going to win but I remember Anderson starting to get some striking going until he threw that fateful kick.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3XQ4SY_68Vs/UsOJLgKiUaI/AAAAAAAAFPU/x3Bsphmwnvc/s1600/UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-SloMo1a-400-sg.gif

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MysteryNad posted:

anderson got dropped immediately after the rematch started, then they struck for a while, which weidman was getting the better of the entire time, then silva's leg broke, if anything he looked worse in that fight. during the first one he at least landed some good leg kicks.

well either way he'd probably get murdered if they fought again and I don't particularly want to see that so I kinda hope it doesn't happen. Dana White can talk all he wants about how incredible a story it would be if Silva won the belt back from Weidman but there's virtually no way that happens unless he lands a lucky shot or pulls a submission out of his rear end like he did on Sonnen

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Silva doesn't want the Weidman fight and it would just be a waste of every other contender's time. Just let him fight Michael Bisping and sail into the sunset.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
They should find a way to make the GSP fight because that is a good retirement fight for both guys.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dirt posted:

I can't comment on the Leites fight, I don't think I have ever seen it.

But the Maia fight, Anderson danced around for three rounds and still beat the poo poo out of Maia.

Yes, and?

You just argued that Maia has a better chin than Diaz, since he got punched more and still didn't go down.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Yes, and?

You just argued that Maia has a better chin than Diaz, since he got punched more and still didn't go down.

I mean, Silva danced around for three rounds. That was from two rounds of actually trying.

He was actively trying to hurt Diaz for 5 rounds.

Why do you hate Nick Diaz?

:D

edit: Like, maybe I'm weird, but I was impressed Diaz had an answer for Silva's clinch at all. I expected this to end like the Franklin fight in a flurry of knees. Diaz actually had a solid gameplan, he was just a lot slower. Couldn't really do much to Anderson. I am also surprised Anderson didn't leg kick Nick to death.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 1, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Iirc Maia actually won that fight

slev
Apr 6, 2009

http://giant.gfycat.com/AngryLavishBengaltiger.gif

MOD EDIT: If you're going to make 30 meg gifs, link them, don't post them inline.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 1, 2015

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dirt posted:

I mean, Silva danced around for three rounds. That was from two rounds of actually trying.

He was actively trying to hurt Diaz for 5 rounds.

"Actively" seems like an odd adjective to describe much of anything that happened in that fight.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
After all the dust has settled best part for me was Alves come back.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
The two things I wanted to see were Diaz taunting and Silva effortlessly boxing him up so it was a great fight

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

We witnessed Nick Diaz lounge on the mat a minute into a fight and it wasn't even the weirdest tactical move tonight.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Welp, shame about the main and co-main sucking because the rest of the card was really good. McMann/Tate was way better than it had any business being, the first three fights on the main card were good, then we got Woodley playing pattycake for three rounds and then what was either the most exciting staring contest or lamest fight I've seen in a while. My favourite part of the evening was Marcus Davis wearing a kilt to corner Tim Boetsch because it reminded me of how badly Dan Hardy trolled him for being a plastic Paddy back in the day.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We all agree Silva looked like garbage right?

This was a test to see where he's at. Any top 5, maybe even top 10 MW would have hurt Diaz pretty badly. Instead we have the "goat" have a competitive fight with a top 20 guy from the division below him. This is like if Jon Jones went the distance with Tim Boetsch.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

tesilential posted:

We all agree Silva looked like garbage right?

This was a test to see where he's at. Any top 5, maybe even top 10 MW would have hurt Diaz pretty badly. Instead we have the "goat" have a competitive fight with a top 20 guy from the division below him. This is like if Jon Jones went the distance with Tim Boetsch.

Yeah he didn't look like pre-Weidman Silva at all.

Still a lot faster than Diaz, but that fight should of been two rounds max.

I'd still watch Silva fight someone else though.

I don't want to see Silva/Weidman 3 though.

Silva/Bisping would be cool.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
i thought the crowd trying to inspire Gastellum by chanting 'FOOOOODD' all during his fight was pretty cool. shame it didn't work after the first round.

i want silva/mitrione because why the hell not at this point.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

acejackson42 posted:

i thought the crowd trying to inspire Gastellum by chanting 'FOOOOODD' all during his fight was pretty cool. shame it didn't work after the first round.

They were saying Booooodley

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anderson in a suit, tie, and glasses on FS1. :allears:

Press conference is live

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
presser is live

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
someone give me the lowdown on anything interesting that's said at the presser as i'm unable to watch

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hettes and Brandao will both get their show money per Dana

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

someone give me the lowdown on anything interesting that's said at the presser as i'm unable to watch

Dana said you might not see Diaz for another 3 years after the money he made tonight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

Dana said you might not see Diaz for another 3 years after the money he made tonight.

i'm already hyped for his return

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lol Mr. The Dana throwing vitor and his loudmouthed cowardice under the bus for ducking the available Machida fight

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
who got the FOTN/POTN

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lol Mr. The Dana throwing vitor and his loudmouthed cowardice under the bus for ducking the available Machida fight

deservedly so. toning down dana would be the worst thing to happen to this sport

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i dont really want to see Silva fight anymore. he should go out on this one

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Crell posted:

who got the FOTN/POTN
I think the the feed didn't start until after he was done saying it, so you might have to read...a blog

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Miesha is self-aware anough to know she has nothing for Ronda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Alves fights so infrequently that I forgot his head looks like my computer is stretching a 4:3 picture to widescreen.

• Locked thread