Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's main difference between yomi and battlecon? I am looking to grab one soon.

They really aren't comparable, at least not any moreso than other games within similar genres, they just sorta get lumped together because of their theme and similar resolution mechanic. BattleCON is a game with perfect knowledge, whereas Yomi has more elements of prediction (and honestly, system mastery to at least know what general things characters can do) due to imperfect hand knowledge. The spacing mechanics of BattleCON do a good job helping newer players enter the game since it adds a very blatant idea of what you should be doing at any given time - if your character excels from a distance and your opponent is right in front of you, it signals to the player that they need to vacate ASAP. Conversely, Yomi doesn't really offer that, and I'd say it takes quite a bit longer to really grasp what you should be doing at any given moment in Yomi, especially if you aren't interested in asking the internet for help or watching people's replays. Because of this Yomi really suffers if you're going to have a revolving door of players, but it really begins to shine if you plan on playing against the same people (or person) regularly; I can play a dozen matches of DeGray vs Argagarg in a row and never get bored, but BattleCON really wants you to swap between characters regularly to get the full experience.

Both are good games that offer very different experiences. You can try Yomi online though, and the tutorial on Sirlin's site is seriously top notch, so you should definitely play around with it before you commit either way. Here's some words I wrote about the subject for the last thread:

me posted:

Yomi vs BattleCON: As people have said, I really like Yomi more. Basically everything Gutter Owl said about BattleCON is right - I think it's a bit much to congratulate it on the design of its women since they're still universally Hot Anime Babes, though it's absolutely better than Yomi about that - but Bosushi's comment that the game has less of a "got'cha!" to it is ultimately why I prefer Yomi.

In BattleCON there is zero unknown information barring a few specific characters who have face-down mechanics, and I was immediately attracted to the game because of that. "I'm a cool, strong, god-fearing and fun-hating gamer, of COURSE I want as little luck as possible in my 1v1 game!" I thought as I blindly spent $100 on Devastation, the extra Kickstarter stuff, and Strikers. Turns out, I don't actually want that, despite it fitting my Gamer Persona perfectly; The lack of randomization makes the game feel much more solvable than Yomi, and it also means that there's a lot less drama in most games. Certainly BattleCON has suspense, but when I play it I feel that doesn't come out until the end of the game - Most characters just can't do anything super scary right out of the gate, or honestly outside of having a few hot turns, until they get below 7 health.

I also think BattleCON has a problem people bring up about Sentinels of the Multiverse, where the game looks simple because each individual rule interaction is straight forward and there aren't many of them, but instead all the rules are actually on each individual card. Characters often have a notable amount of character-specific mechanics, such as tracking tokens, placing hidden markers, moving around secondary characters, and other mini-games. All of their Style cards and their unique Base generally have at least twice as much text as the core Bases as well, which means as you're learning characters (both playing as and against) you'll have to spend as much time actually resolving the action between card flips as you did choosing your play in the first place. And since the huge roster and alternate game modes (oh god Arenas) is often a selling point of the game, there's a good chance you'll be in this phase of game mastery for a long time - To compare it to an actual fighting game, imagine if every character in MvC2 was just as good and weird as Sentinel, and you had to learn all those match-ups to realistically play the game.

Yomi definitely has elements of memorization if you just buy the first edition box, but the second edition (with the new characters) has reference cards ala BattleCON that lists the speed of their normals/throws and which cards have what on them (ie it'll say that 2 is both an Attack and a Dodge for Grave). I'd be shocked if there wasn't printable versions for the old characters on board game geek, and if there isn't you can easy make your own (note that having to do this is unfortunate, I'm simply saying that it's easy and doable), though since the core box only includes 10 characters I'd say it really won't take many games to just learn anyway. And honestly, it kinda feels ownage to watch two people play and be like "ok so right now Midori is in a bad place because he isn't in Dragon Form so his fastest face card is 1.2 and Lum's queen is 0.8. But there's only 4 of a possible 6 dodges in Midori's discard pile, so if he reads the queen and has a Dodge he can land 20 damage with the two Aces he just searched for and--" without looking at a reference. Movement not really being a thing in Yomi definitely makes it look more difficult to understand since the whole match is abstract, though.

Like Bosushi said, each matchup in Yomi feels really strong and interesting, I sorta feel that BattleCON relies on each character's very specific (and often lengthy text-wise) gimmicks to make matches seem explosive and unique instead of Yomi's more tame manipulation of fundamental things every character does and 3 unique abilities. Also, it's cute to suddenly "get" how each character archetype is abstracted (grapplers getting lower numbered and more damaging Throws but fewer combo points, rekkas sorta being a thing, fireball zoning on grave's hadouken, etc).

Now to knock Yomi down a peg, because there's one thing that I feel really needs mentioned about it before I can recommend it - The game starts off feeling random. BattleCON's use of distance does a good job of narrowing the immediately viable options and makes it obvious what outright bad plays would be barring super hard reads. Yomi doesn't do that. Short of asking someone, you have no idea as a new player that Rook really likes to block early to build his hand size to feed super armor, or that Geiger has an oppressive and safe zoning game, or whatever. Worse still, even if you do, your opponent might not, and that's almost just as bad because when someone is effectively playing cards off the top of their deck you can't actually read them. Think of it like when you first picked up fighting games and were just jumping around like a scrub and so was your friend - winning and losing seemed really arbitrary. And then you read a guide that said Sagat really likes to throw fireballs, but you're still new so you haven't actually got your AA game down yet and maybe you can't do 236 motions quite consistently enough yet so your scrub friend who keeps jumping still wins a few games despite you actually employing (basic) strategy. There's no reason this can't happen in BattleCON (and I've definitely seen it against people who just didn't grasp the game), but since the neutral game is so much more blatant due to knowing everything your opponent can do at a given time and distance being a thing you can see which often limits your viable plays, the game matures past this point faster than Yomi does.

Still, I've got waaaaay too many games of Yomi under my belt at this point, and the feelings I get while playing a best of 3 set in Yomi against someone I've played 20+ times before really hits that same pleasure center that a good set of your FG of choice against another skilled opponent. It's a good game, and worth sticking with.

e: If you need info in the game itself, like seeing character's Attack speeds or rule clarifications, the Fantasy Strike page has a bunch of info. It's also where you'd want to go if you wanted to make reference sheets (assuming those don't already exist somewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

thespaceinvader posted:

Meh, as noted, just making it a die roll would do much the same. But making it non-random would do more - making flight through a sector move the relevant baddie automatically and if you land up in the wrong square, you resolve it. No salvage ops or family dinners at all, probably.

I also think buying disgruntled crew should have some kind of cost - it's entirely too easy for them to get randomly disgruntled and when they are, too easy for someone to just pinch them. Maybe a fuel and a part, to represent the cost of actually physically moving them from ship to ship, and the shipboard gear they presumably take with them like space suits or whatever.

Basically, as noted earlier, it's a bad, bad game and basically needs a complete redesign in order to work. Or, instead of playing it, just have some friends over and watch firefly whilst playing a better space trading game like Merchants of Venus or that mining one where you go round four sectors of the board in a little rocket ship whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

Or Galaxy Trucker, actually.

That sucks, I was hoping I could grab it and make something fun with it :smith:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Meh, as noted, just making it a die roll would do much the same. But making it non-random would do more - making flight through a sector move the relevant baddie automatically and if you land up in the wrong square, you resolve it. No salvage ops or family dinners at all, probably.

I also think buying disgruntled crew should have some kind of cost - it's entirely too easy for them to get randomly disgruntled and when they are, too easy for someone to just pinch them. Maybe a fuel and a part, to represent the cost of actually physically moving them from ship to ship, and the shipboard gear they presumably take with them like space suits or whatever.

Basically, as noted earlier, it's a bad, bad game and basically needs a complete redesign in order to work. Or, instead of playing it, just have some friends over and watch firefly whilst playing a better space trading game like Merchants of Venus or that mining one where you go round four sectors of the board in a little rocket ship whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

Or Galaxy Trucker, actually.

I think Firefly is actually better than Merchant of Venus but that's because MoV is a bad game.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

disperse posted:

For Magic Realm there is Realmspeak.

I've been considering doing magic realm for my next print and play project but I still have yet to learn most of the game. People have compared it to Mage knight, how fair of a comparison is that? What are some of the criticisms you have of the game? What are the high points of the game?

I've been meaning to ask for a while because I keep noticing your avatar but I kept forgetting.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zombie #246 posted:

I've been considering doing magic realm for my next print and play project but I still have yet to learn most of the game. People have compared it to Mage knight, how fair of a comparison is that? What are some of the criticisms you have of the game? What are the high points of the game?

I've been meaning to ask for a while because I keep noticing your avatar but I kept forgetting.

It has a 122 page rulebook. It's the fever dream of a diseased genius.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's also Brettspielwelt for online options, and a dedicated Terra Mystica site.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Frisk posted:

There's also Brettspielwelt for online options, and a dedicated Terra Mystica site.

The question here mentioned BSW. :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Aww poo poo. Well, it was fun board game thread. Gotta go commit seppuku.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

It has a 122 page rulebook. It's the fever dream of a diseased genius.

That must be some kind of condensed, abridged, tutorial version. You want the complete 273 page rules of Magic Realm:

http://www.nexoid.at/mr/MR32.pdf

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Seriously though if you omit all the tables of magic and treasures and junk the page count goes down considerably.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Rutibex posted:

That must be some kind of condensed, abridged, tutorial version. You want the complete 273 page rules of Magic Realm:

http://www.nexoid.at/mr/MR32.pdf

*clutches heart

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

The Supreme Court posted:

That sucks, I was hoping I could grab it and make something fun with it :smith:

Xia is better raw material for that. The base game is already less dysfunctional than Firefly

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Board Goons, sell me on Viticulture+Tuscany. I heard very good things about it, but that price tag is a little stiff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Panzeh posted:

I think Firefly is actually better than Merchant of Venus but that's because MoV is a bad game.

Huh? Merchant of Venus 2nd edition is an excellent game if you are looking for a pick up and deliver game in space. There's nothing about it that is a surprise, they tell you it's a long game up front, and the rules are well written. What exactly is wrong with it?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Played Concordia for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. The rules aren't very well written but the game is surprisingly easy and intuitive to learn. At first I thought it might be too simple because there wasn't as much card variety as I was expecting but you quickly realize there's a lot more to it than appears at first glance. There's an interesting ebb and flow to the amount of money and resources you have at any time and there is obviously some intricacy to how and when you play your cards, it almost reminds me of a simpler version of the mancala from Trajan. Will be really interesting to see how it evolves over subsequent plays.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Finally played Game of Thrones today. Everyone had played 0-1 times before. The early game zipped along time-wise, since we didn't get a Muster until 4-5 rounds in, meaning everyone just spread around their initial areas and sorta ran out of units. The highlight was, I guess, when I picked up two strongholds for the tie-winner off the girl who refused to do anything except squat in "her" two castles, and kept calling herself House "Lanchester".

I wish the game weren't 4 hours (5 + rules, this time), because I'd love to play again now that people know what's going on. I spend 2/3 of the game bullying people with Raid orders before even Lanchester figured out that turn order was important.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There actually are a few elements of Firefly I like as a board game. I just wish it was more streamlined out of the box. It was very much made to evoke the theme of being in the franchise's universe, and accomplishes that pretty well. It's just so married to that idea of theme first that it harms itself mechanically and takes about twice as long to play as it really should.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What costs around $10, is available on CSI, and isn't Love Letter, Coup, or Resistances?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lord Frisk posted:

What costs around $10, is available on CSI, and isn't Love Letter, Coup, or Resistances?

Sushi Go!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Lord Frisk posted:

Why $10? Why not get another $30 game to round out your order. It's only $20 difference--you can afford that :unsmigghh:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Durendal posted:

Why $10? Why not get another $30 game to round out your order. It's only $20 difference--you can afford that :unsmigghh:

im trying to eat up the last $10 in store credit

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lord Frisk posted:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/138147 https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12942/no-thanks

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Dominion Base cards are $12.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

Tash-Kalar expansion pre-order, a LotR LCG expansion pack, Hanabi, Skull, Dominion base cards to upgrade the scrub tier original art, kmc hyper matte sleeves

Edit:

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to convince anyone to try Dominion again

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 1, 2015

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Durendal posted:

Board Goons, sell me on Viticulture+Tuscany. I heard very good things about it, but that price tag is a little stiff.

I was a Kickstarter backer, but my wife and I have only played it twice, and that's just the base Viticulture. It's a beautiful game, and the wine aspect makes it much more accessible to a broader audience than hardcore board game enthusiasts. I don't know if it's the best game for that dollar value, but if it will get some wino friends of yours to play that vs some other game, go for it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Durendal posted:

My wife hates board games and I got her to play Viticulture because of the wine theme. She loves it. People I've introduced it to have loved it. Tuscan is more expensive than Viticulture, but it's worth it. There's a looooooot of content there, and I think it adds a ton more to the game.

I'm kind of obsessed with this game, it even has a solo mode (if you get Tuscany) so you can practice with yourself.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lord Frisk posted:

An xwing figure is ten bucks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Durendal posted:

Viticulture is a solid worker placement game with a nice twist in that each turn is subdivided into two halves that follow the seasons and your workers can only perform actions in one of them. It's streamlined and generally plays in under 90 minutes.

Tuscany is a set of modular expansions for Viticulture that adds complexity and replayability once the base game has begun to get stale. At its simplest level it offers new special action cards and asymmetric starts. At the top level, it replaces the entire board and drastically modifies the turn structure. Other addons include planting orchards and vegetables, selling fallow fields, a set of 11 different specialist workers of which only a couple are available in each game, and doing deals with the Mafia. The idea is that you add in one or two of the extra modules, but you can use pretty much all of them at once if you're insane.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does anyone have experience with CGE and replacements? I bought Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary last week, and it was missing the rules for the base game, which I reported Wednesday night and I haven't heard anything or gotten a confirmation mail. Is that normal? Obviously, I have downloaded the PDF rulebook, so it's not really a problem, but I would like to have them all the same.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone know any good games with negotiation as a major focus besides the obvious stuff like Resistance/Werewolf/Diplomacy and traitor games like BSG? That's a niche I really like, but it's one where I feel like my group has most of the good games for it already (like Bohnanza, Santiago, and Sheriff of Nottingham).

Or hell, any recent games in general. Trying to fill a CSI or MM order to get Tuscany Prima, and all I seem to want are more worker placement games or stuff that's not in stock.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Mega64 posted:

Anyone know any good games with negotiation as a major focus besides the obvious stuff like Resistance/Werewolf/Diplomacy and traitor games like BSG? That's a niche I really like, but it's one where I feel like my group has most of the good games for it already (like Bohnanza, Santiago, and Sheriff of Nottingham).

Or hell, any recent games in general. Trying to fill a CSI or MM order to get Tuscany Prima, and all I seem to want are more worker placement games or stuff that's not in stock.

Galaxy Trucker :getin:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lorini posted:

Huh? Merchant of Venus 2nd edition is an excellent game if you are looking for a pick up and deliver game in space. There's nothing about it that is a surprise, they tell you it's a long game up front, and the rules are well written. What exactly is wrong with it?

It's just a lame roll and move game that doesn't have a whole lot of skill to it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Tash-Kalar expansion pre-order, a LotR LCG expansion pack, Hanabi, Skull, Dominion base cards to upgrade the scrub tier original art, kmc hyper matte sleeves

Edit:

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to convince anyone to try Dominion again

You have to lead with "See this huge box of cards? There are only going to be 10 of them you have to worry about."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Played Pandemic: On the brink yesterday as the bio-terrorist and it was pretty good. That character throws such a huge mess in already heavily quarterbacked scenario that you can really just break down their gameplay. Unfortunately, they decided to cure purples early so I had to plan my movement by destroying research stations, which killed their tempo a lot. They ended up winning on the last turn; however, we forgot to reshuffle cards after an epidemic so I contend that I could have won possibly by causing more purple outbreaks.

It's a solid expansion and if I bought the game I would get this one immediately since it seemed to counter a lot of people's issues with quarterbacking. Just let the person who doesn't really talk about the strategy be the terrorist. If only one person does all of the talking then maybe play a different game. We haven't tried the other game modes but I dig being a bio terrorist.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Played Pandemic: On the brink yesterday as the bio-terrorist and it was pretty good. That character throws such a huge mess in already heavily quarterbacked scenario that you can really just break down their gameplay. Unfortunately, they decided to cure purples early so I had to plan my movement by destroying research stations, which killed their tempo a lot. They ended up winning on the last turn; however, we forgot to reshuffle cards after an epidemic so I contend that I could have won possibly by causing more purple outbreaks.

It's a solid expansion and if I bought the game I would get this one immediately since it seemed to counter a lot of people's issues with quarterbacking. Just let the person who doesn't really talk about the strategy be the terrorist. If only one person does all of the talking then maybe play a different game. We haven't tried the other game modes but I dig being a bio terrorist.

If only one person does the talking, make them the bioterrorist. If you have two quiet people and two talkers, then you're hosed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

PerniciousKnid posted:

If only one person does the talking, make them the bioterrorist. If you have two quiet people and two talkers, then you're hosed.

Yeah that is also true. In our group it's usually one quiet person.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mega64 posted:

Archipelago, but you have to play with cool people who aren't dipshits that throw the game when they are "losing" and instead try to step it up.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Tried Cthulhu Wars finally. I think this is a solid game. However, I haven't played games like Kemet or Chaos in the Old World. I'm a novice at this kind of game so I will be easier to impress. Here's some brief talk.

My first game had me already thinking in interesting directions right from the get go as I got a handle on the mechanics and how they affected what I could do (and more importantly, what the other players could do.) The manual has a section at the end describing each faction and giving tips on playing them effectively. For example, Cthulhu is relatively cheap to re-awaken after he's been "killed" so get him early and don't be afraid to throw him into fights. I know one way to look at that is as spoilers, but I found that it helpful to get me up to speed and be able to play effectively at a basic level.

Rules are good. No reams of fiddly special cases.

Token, board, and print quality are outstanding. The player sheets are just cardstock but all the tokens are super dense, heavy tokens that are pre-punched in a way that there are not any of those little thin tabs that rip if you're not careful. The figures are sharply detailed and have a distinct size scale: cultists -> monsters -> great old ones. It really does help to convey the board state at a glance. I'm a really visual person so this might not mean anything to some of you, but it's pretty cool to get that first horrific monster striding across the map. And the abilities are powerful and immediately useful, no minor buffs like "+1 to future die rolls" or anything. It's stuff like "Buy as many units as you want from as many gates as you like as long as you can afford it " when everyone else is limited to 1 per round - so you can barf up a horde as a reaction if someone gets in your face, and use that as deterrent.

Miniatures are a challenge to fit back into the box but I think I settled on a pretty good method.

Combat uses dice but there are no rerolls or anything. It's quick and simple. You choose your casualties so you use the "cannon fodder" approach to protect your more valuable units.

Maybe someone else can compare and contrast with other modern "territory warfare" games. But it played well and didn't run into anything annoying, and seems to have actual design gone into it.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

BonHair posted:

Does anyone have experience with CGE and replacements? I bought Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary last week, and it was missing the rules for the base game, which I reported Wednesday night and I haven't heard anything or gotten a confirmation mail. Is that normal? Obviously, I have downloaded the PDF rulebook, so it's not really a problem, but I would like to have them all the same.

Not a replacement experience but I emailed them a couple of weeks ago querying why I hadn't received my copy. They took a few days to reply and apologized for the delay which they said was because they were slammed by enquiries at the moment. So perhaps that explains your delay too.

Happy ending: I played my first game on the weekend with my son. Great game although the two player variant is less challenging I'm sure than a full four player game. They quality of the artwork and components is stunning. Very happy with this kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You know, we might be a little jaded on SU&SD but drat do they still do a fine job of getting new people hyped over games. Sat down and watched the 1st Annual Hexagonal Tile-Laying Fest with some friends and they immediately wanted to play Suburbia, are interested in learning Archipelago next time, and are (rightfully) intimidated but curious about my copy of Keyflower. If I sat them down and told them to watch Vassel or Rahdo or something they might try to escape while I wasn't looking.

It's awkward feeling to mention it, but the Starlit Citadel ladies captured the attention of some female friends I have, too, presumably because they don't sound like your your typical short of breath obsessive boardgamer personalities. But they are into the same goony games and I think the novelty of women that play X-Wing was pretty interesting to the crowd. My gf's friends' eyes would roll into the back of their head if I showed them the Dice Tower guys talking about Eldritch Horror or X-Wing but they were glued to Starlit top ten list featuring the same games.

Also, still loving Suburbia. It's got that excellent "simple to teach, fun to play even if you're teaching, just enough depth to want to play again on a dirt-simple chassis" thing going on.