Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I've worked in the kitchen at a couple places that put everyone on call any and every day off they were scheduled. gently caress being on call for any job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
good to see you're still just as angry on the best coast Black August

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

good to see you're still just as angry on the best coast Black August

this corporate cat and its sugary salty sloppy poo poo food is going to kill me

As soon as I can afford to live like a normal human being and work at a real restaurant I'll have nothing left to bark about. Then I can focus into getting into something useful like wine distribution.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Black August posted:

EDIT: As an aside, God save you who live in Seattle or in Massachusetts and have to work this Sunday. I can only imagine the bloodshed that'll go down at the sports bars. It was already carnage last Sunday when the clutch victory came out of nowhere. I was on break going down the street and there was suddenly screaming everywhere like it was the end times and every single bar was packed within the hour.

I normally get Saturdays and Sundays off, and I can't tell you how loving happy I am. Considering that the Seahawks went to the super bowl last year, too, it's gonna be even worse in Seattle; every bandwagon-jumping person who suddenly loves football, but was 'totally always a fan' is going to be out. Stay off the roads before and after the game. During is fine, though, because the freeways will be loving empty. They were last game, at least.

I have a similar story. I was walking in downtown Edmonds with my fiancee, just enjoying an evening out (because gently caress football, who cares) and the streets were a ghost town. Suddenly, from a restaurant across the street and a bar down at the intersection, yeah, end times style screaming. I guess I know the exact moment at which that upset happened. :v:

I swear this city did not give one single poo poo about football until the Seahawks won last year. Now Seahawks poo poo is everywhere. Everybody is wearing a jersey. Jesus Christ.

Yes, I know I'm being a massive no fun allowed prick but it's getting really tiring. I want football to go away. I hope the Seahawks lose so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Edit: also, welcome to Seattle, I guess! It's loving expensive here but the natural beauty is unlike anything else in this country.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm in the unique position of having come from Massachusetts. But I want the Patriots to lose horribly because I'm sick of the Patriots and the reheated fervor New England has for them, so while I won't be any sort of Seahawks fanatic, I won't lose much sleep if they kick the Patriots' skull in.

At the least it'll be good for business. People won't tip and they won't be nice, and most of our clientele will be bleedoff from the sports bars, but at least it'll be some money from sheer volume.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My fiancé and I were extremely excited about checking out El Paraíso, the new upscale Cuban place that just opened up in our neighborhood. Or at least we WERE excited. Having just had one of the most disappointing dining experiences of my life, I have two words for you: Steer. Clear. Especially if you’re an awful human being like me.

The evening started off fine—at first. El Paraíso’s ambience is a nice combination of modern architecture adorned with traditional art, a touch of rustic in a classy nightspot. But things began to go downhill VERY quickly when I asked if they could please turn the music down. Our host, who obviously spoke English as a second language, seemed surprised by the request, so I repeated it again, slowly and condescendingly. I mean, seriously, I’m a guest in your restaurant—why would I do something like that?

We started with a round of El Paraíso’s signature sea salt margaritas. Because it was served in a cute little mason jar, it was far too easy for me to lose track of how many I drank on an empty stomach. It’s like, “Hello! You’re supposed to be a business! Couldn’t you tell immediately that alcohol would only fuel the seething, unrelated frustrations I brought in the door with me?”

quote:

I wish I could say our El Paraíso experience was a fluke, but honestly, it’s just one in a string of totally unacceptable situations I’ve created lately, at everywhere from Hernandez Auto Repair on North and Oakwood to my brother’s wedding.
There’s a diverse menu of tapas-style appetizers—too many to try in one visit! If you’re anything like me, you’ll want to go off-menu and demand a split order of the fried plantain chips and taro fritters, then berate the nearest server within earshot when this turns out to be something the restaurant does not offer.

On to the main course. This was maybe the biggest disappointment. Rather than pick any number of options available to me, I went item by item through different entrees, asking them to cobble together an off-menu Frankenstein of Cuban ingredients. You’d think that would be enough, but I also requested that a manager come to our table and assure us that the tortillas were gluten-free, even though I can eat gluten safely and regularly do.

I wish I could say our El Paraíso experience was a fluke, but honestly, it’s just one in a string of totally unacceptable situations I’ve created lately, at everywhere from Hernandez Auto Repair on North and Oakwood to my brother’s wedding.

El Paraíso might be some people’s cup of tea, but if you’re me? I’d just avoid human interaction altogether.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Turkeybone posted:

So Southern sucks and lost all their high end boubons whiskeys etc here in NYC so to commemorate this, the fuckers dumped all their stock of pappy etc. onto their customers! If there was ever a time to find that stuff for your bad habits, now is the time.
I can't quite interpret this, though it made me end up learning a lot about pappy van winkle. Are you saying that there's a lot in stores in NYC right now?

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

FrancoFish posted:

Buy prime rib and age it yourself. It is remarkably simple.

Pretty much just wrap it in a layer of paper towels and leave it on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours. Remove towels, wrap in new ones, flip it over, rest another 24 hours. Done.

This isn't long enough to really get a good aged effect - it's also not really a great bacterial environment. Most professional setups will have a specific aging room for whole racks and the presence of molding contributes to the quality of the end result. Buying from LaFrieda you're looking at (I think) a minimum 28 day age.

Biomute posted:

If you want your beef to taste of game, why not just get some game? Dry Aged Prime Rib is such a gimmick.

Dry aged beef isn't about gaminess, it's about developing amino acids that produce intense umami. When done well it absolutely rules over the flavor quality of standard prime.

A helpful article on the subject.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Shut up, literally. Just. Shut. The. gently caress. Up.

This was also my initial reaction.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
My Boss just cant crack the whip. Seriously I am already working a set schedule and yet just this week every casual is calling in "sick" because they dont know how to get things done and I get called in.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No Wave posted:

I can't quite interpret this, though it made me end up learning a lot about pappy van winkle. Are you saying that there's a lot in stores in NYC right now?

This. Because if there's a lot I'll be asking a friend to buy me a bottle and ship it to me.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

No Wave posted:

Well, in theory, yes. Restaurants and probably stores. The fact that the distributor dumped their remaining inventory on the retail and restaurant outlets doesn't mean that the customers are going to see it -- there are plenty of places that get their one or two bottles of pappy and then just keep it for themselves. The wholesale cost of most of those bottles is like, $40, $50.. it's the demand and the stores that inflate it (though I'm sure Saz will wake up and increase their prices soon, too).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
There is a staggering amount of both money and idiocy in the wine and liquor biz. Of course there's always shady deals, but NYC is surprisingly mostly on the up and up (thanks Spitzer). "We have $100,000, how should we spend it this year?" Is not an unreasonable sentence. Since by law you cannot offer different prices to different customers (except for volume discounts), deals are generally made with offsetting "spends." So yes, there are times where someone says "ugh, we need to go spend $2500 at xyz."

The ugh is because they're jaded already. Amazing how fast that happens in any situation. Not meeee though!

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Speaking of idiocy i was too busy during prep this morning to eat anything other than staggering amount of extra walnuts and now there's oil coming out of my rear end and it's one of the busiest fridays of winter!

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Simoom posted:

Speaking of idiocy i was too busy during prep this morning to eat anything other than staggering amount of extra walnuts and now there's oil coming out of my rear end and it's one of the busiest fridays of winter!

You need to plug a manpon

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Aw man, you know how expensive those drat nuts are?

Every time I see a sheet tray of charcoal nuts some cook forgot in the oven my heart breaks a little.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I can almost see the lines of red rage slowly become visible in the kitchen's collective faces when they keep getting duties changed every other day since the place is being 'restructured' for 'enhanced productivity' and 'customer satisfaction'. But now the poor bastards have to mix an extra three kinds of sauces for us to use, every day. This place seriously reeks of a company going under when they can't seem to make up their minds for how to run the business anymore -- even better was the chef making the darkest growling noise I've ever heard someone make when she found out firecracker chicken is coming back to the menu. Last time it was on I think it was ordered, like, six times total.

At least I got a bunch of Amazon people who tipped me an incredible amount. Decided to be healthy and better to myself and spent a tiny bit of it on cheap blueberries so I can make weeks worth of blueberry sludge shakes, instead of buying fried crap all the time.

Thoht posted:

Aw man, you know how expensive those drat nuts are?

Every time I see a sheet tray of charcoal nuts some cook forgot in the oven my heart breaks a little.

When I know it's going to be a long bad day and I have no money or stomach, I always snag a little plastic cup of them since jesus christ there's like a month of calories in just a few of those things.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Black August posted:

even better was the chef making the darkest growling noise I've ever heard someone make when she found out firecracker chicken is coming back to the menu. Last time it was on I think it was ordered, like, six times total.

Probably a favorite of the owner. We had a roasted chicken dish my boss loved but people would order it maybe once a week tops. At least nothing ever went to waste because what we didn't sell we could just debone and dice up for use as pizza topping. We sold a lot of chicken/bacon/artichoke heart pizzas with alfredo sauce.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Republicans posted:

Probably a favorite of the owner. We had a roasted chicken dish my boss loved but people would order it maybe once a week tops. At least nothing ever went to waste because what we didn't sell we could just debone and dice up for use as pizza topping. We sold a lot of chicken/bacon/artichoke heart pizzas with alfredo sauce.

Worse. It's corporate. It's a yearly thing, or was brought back out of desperation to drive sales or somesuch.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I think we surmised Black August works for P.F. Chang's.

In other news, I will not be doing wings for a Superbowl special. Its loving Korean BBQ boar ribs. Deal With It.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I think we surmised Black August works for P.F. Chang's.

In other news, I will not be doing wings for a Superbowl special. Its loving Korean BBQ boar ribs. Deal With It.

....Can you send me those ribs man?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Boar ribs are a thing?

Why did nobody tell me boar ribs are a thing.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok people who run front of house, hell even head chefs. What do you guys prefer the best time to apply for front of house?

I know 2-4 is the dead zone. I work extremely low volume between 2-5 where I'm at now.

Basically is it kosher to go in the morning when the place is just opening. I just know people have long nights and just don't even want to deal with someone trying to get a loving job.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I don't actually run FoH, but I know for a fact that my manager definitely prefers that you send a resume over email if we're hiring than just stopping by the restaurant.

Speaking as the person who directly deals with people who come by the restaurant asking for a job, come by during dead hours and we'll have a better impression of you. (This tends to be during lunch because we're open then.) Interrupt us while we're trying to get the prep done so we can open, and I'll make sure that your information gets forwarded to the manager, but being put behind means that I'll obviously be more negative about you.

To be fair, though, I also live in a major metropolitan city where Craigslist postings for restaurant jobs are commonplace, so it makes more sense to just use that.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

A Man and his dog posted:

Ok people who run front of house, hell even head chefs. What do you guys prefer the best time to apply for front of house?

I know 2-4 is the dead zone. I work extremely low volume between 2-5 where I'm at now.

Basically is it kosher to go in the morning when the place is just opening. I just know people have long nights and just don't even want to deal with someone trying to get a loving job.

You have any FOH experience? For entry level, I'd say show up just before opening and ask for a manager. Be ready for an impromptu interview.

If you have experience, Craigslist is safe bet. Email is easy to ignore, better to call or even show up in person. Take five minutes to go over the menu before hand. Obviously if your resume is amazing you can afford to be less aggressive.

FOH is ultimately sales, your resume should be the icing on top of the cake. Drop it off without talking to anyone in management and I guarantee it will be ignored.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy
Just got an email from an unhappy customer who was turned her away at 6pm by the host on a Saturday night saying the restaurant was booked full. We'll see if she hits yelp, I'm guessing she's motivated enough as the email was close to 1,000 words.

This was at a restaurant in downtown SF that has been featured on local TV multiple times and is only open for dinner five days a week.

I'm note sure what to think of it, I'd say it's 90% crazy person, 10% some scam or weird angle- should post it?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

If you're actually willing to throw years of your life away in the service industry, don't go during rush times - this can vary by venue - obviously breakfast/lunch places are not going to want to see you from 10:30-1:30 or so, bars during weekdays won't pick up until after 4 or so, but may have a lunch rush so don't go before 2. Clubs will not want to see you at all during business hours.

If you have experience, especially if you have a decent amount, stress that. They may just want to throw you into a bussing shift or whatever, but if you can hack it, do so.

Also make sure your resume is no longer than one page, is not a wall of text, and has no spelling mistakes or weirdo grammar because it'll be laughed at and thrown away. Try to give it to the managers, but I, personally, have never thrown anyone's resume in the trash (but I have, and will talk poo poo about a bad resume/person who isn't personable).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MiTEG posted:

Just got an email from an unhappy customer who was turned her away at 6pm by the host on a Saturday night saying the restaurant was booked full. We'll see if she hits yelp, I'm guessing she's motivated enough as the email was close to 1,000 words.

This was at a restaurant in downtown SF that has been featured on local TV multiple times and is only open for dinner five days a week.

I'm note sure what to think of it, I'd say it's 90% crazy person, 10% some scam or weird angle- should post it?

First question: Did this person ask for any kind of compensation, such as a comped meal?

Second question: On the night mentioned, were you in fact fully booked, assuming the date was mentioned?

Have you responded to it?

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Fiirst superbowl off in like 6 years, laid off for the month of february. Looking forward to sleeping in, going on vacation, and collecting unemployment for a month :dance:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

rayray00 posted:

Fiirst superbowl off in like 6 years, laid off for the month of february. Looking forward to sleeping in, going on vacation, and collecting unemployment for a month :dance:

I really, really hope you didn't speak too soon on this one. If you worked at some place with TVs and you get a call at 2PM to help them out "just for one shift!" what are you going to say?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

MiTEG posted:

Yes! Redact private info and post away!

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I really, really hope you didn't speak too soon on this one. If you worked at some place with TVs and you get a call at 2PM to help them out "just for one shift!" what are you going to say?

I already know for a fact they won't be calling me in :c00lbutt:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

rayray00 posted:

I already know for a fact they won't be calling me in :c00lbutt:

rats or rebranding?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh god help the seahawks are winning I don't wanna die

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thank god NEVERMIND

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I've accumulated enough stuff that my knife roll can barely close. Does anyone have a recommendation for a roll that can comfortably hold 5-6 knives along with poo poo like peelers, melon ballers, zesters and so on?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rockzilla posted:

I've accumulated enough stuff that my knife roll can barely close. Does anyone have a recommendation for a roll that can comfortably hold 5-6 knives along with poo poo like peelers, melon ballers, zesters and so on?

Just get a toolbox and knife guards?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Riots and mobs in the streets. They closed the place down at 8. Least we all got out early, kitchen went from enraged to scrambling to close. Godspeed to the New England people!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Rockzilla posted:

I just use knife guards and a decent backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Shooting Blanks posted:

First question: Did this person ask for any kind of compensation, such as a comped meal?

Second question: On the night mentioned, were you in fact fully booked, assuming the date was mentioned?

Have you responded to it?

No idea on the details, but most nights the restaurant is fully booked.

Haven't responded yet, but generally in order of severity we offer comped glass of wine, comped meal and for egregious events a $100 gift certificate.

I mostly work in an administrative capacity so I'll find out more tomorrow morning.

• Locked thread