Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

8lbsofanalsex quoted http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com posted:

This is quite possibly the most difficult of the 1482 articles I’ve written on this blog to date since 2009.

Oooooooooook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Best Friends posted:

oh my god

Wow people who don't believe in medicine see their kids diagnosed with fewer hard-to-identify disorders? Wrap it up vaccitrons.

Then that lady just spends the rest of the blog talking about how unfair it is her feelings are hurt. gently caress this society.

Where does that prediction even come from? That's some real obtuse interpretation of data, like bitcoin levels of "well the price has been trending upward for a few weeks, that means bitcoin will be worth $10,000 in a few months!"

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
That article checks pretty much every square on the lovely argument bingo card. Openly stating that it's about protecting your feelings from getting hurt while accusing the other side of being driven by emotion and not proof, citing completely bullshit research and following it like it's gospel, fascism/tyranny buzzwords. Yes, medical professionals trying to keep diseases that have been eradicated from coming back due to idiots are literal nazis.

This is a free country but that doesn't mean you're completely free to do everything. Someone isn't allowed to take a poo poo in the middle of the floor at a grocery store and anyone under $100,000 a year income or black isn't allowed into your gated community. It's only fair that dumbasses aren't allowed to not vaccinate their kids.

I also find it slightly depressing that many of them view autism as the terrifying consequence of these actions. "I will literally kill my kids before I allow them to start doing a let's play of Train Simulator 2015."

I wonder if getting their vaccinations will be one of the ways that their kids lash out during their teenaged rebellion days. Instead of a tattoo they just come home with their MMR paperwork. "I got all of my shots today, gently caress you mom."

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Ohio is the 25th largest economy in the world bro. Outside of the cities, Ohio sucks but its not a desolate wasteland.

We have all the fresh water too, and we don't really have to be that careful with it outside of proper waste-water treatment since it all runs back into Lake Erie anyway. Northern Ohio is going to look like a pretty drat good place to live in the next few decades as the West/Southwest/Central CA permanently exhausts their aquifers, dries up, and blows away.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

gently caress it, even if vaccines cause 100% autism, vaccinate everyone anyway. Worst case the government will have to keep more railway museums open and we'll never run out of GBS posters.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hi im a new parent and rather than risk the non-existant possibility that my newest accessory is broken(thus reflecting badly upon me) i'd rather chance smallpox!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soylent Pudding posted:

gently caress it, even if vaccines cause 100% autism, vaccinate everyone anyway. Worst case the government will have to keep more railway museums open and we'll never run out of GBS posters.

What, haven't you ever experienced the horror of watching the light go out of a child's eyes as they contract the tism?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

go3 posted:

hi im a new parent and rather than risk the non-existant possibility that my newest accessory is broken(thus reflecting badly upon me) i'd rather chance smallpox!

While I agree with the point you're going for, people don't get inoculated against smallpox in the US anymore pretty much at all.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

While I agree with the point you're going for, people don't get inoculated against smallpox in the US anymore pretty much at all.

:siren: AUTIST SPOTTED :siren:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can we just load up dart guns and go anti-vaxxer huntin'?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

priznat posted:

Can we just load up dart guns and go anti-vaxxer huntin'?

make sure to load MMR darts

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stultus Maximus posted:

What, haven't you ever experienced the horror of watching the light go out of a child's eyes as they contract the tism?

No, children are an overrated waste of money I could instead be spending on booze and weed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soylent Pudding posted:

No, children are an overrated waste of money I could instead be spending on booze and weed.

quote:

The anti-vaccine movement can largely be traced to a 1998 report in a medical journal that suggested a link between vaccines and autism but was later proved fraudulent and retracted. Today, the waves of parents who shun vaccines include some who still believe in the link and some, like the Amish, who have religious objections to vaccines. Then there is a particular subculture of largely wealthy and well-educated families, many living in palmy enclaves around Los Angeles and San Francisco, who are trying to carve out “all-natural” lives for their children.

Missy Foster, 43, said she had not vaccinated her daughter, Tully, who is now 18 months old, against measles because of concern that the M.M.R. vaccine — which stands for measles, mumps and rubella, or German measles — might be associated with autism.

“It’s the worst shot,” she said, with tears in her eyes. “Do you want to wake up one morning and the light is gone from her eyes with autism or something?”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Drown Missy Foster in a bathtub.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The irony is having a baby after 40 probably poses more potential health risks to the kids than any vaccine does (although still not a lot), Missy. If that is your real name

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Drown Missy Foster in a bathtub.
Vaccinate her kids in front of her....but gently caress me what a vile piece of dogshit.

priznat posted:

The irony is having a baby after 40 probably poses more potential health risks to the kids than any vaccine does (although still not a lot), Missy. If that is your real name

Sweet Jesus this is true...my wife constantly reminds me (she's only 32 and wants to be done before 35).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 1, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Sweet Jesus this is true...my wife constantly reminds me (she's only 32 and wants to be done before 35).

I woulda had kids younger if I could do it over again, it's murder on the knees.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

gfanikf posted:

Vaccinate her kids in front of her....but gently caress me what a vile piece of dogshit.

get fucken bro

if you are too lazy i'll help out

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dang

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...317d_story.html

Release the Gundams

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Everyone knew this was going to happen. The question is will the Japanese government be able to actually do anything about it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ded posted:

Everyone knew this was going to happen. The question is will the Japanese government be able to actually do anything about it.

Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of people in japan think this guy is an idiot and are more pissed off about how it makes japan look

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

I woulda had kids younger if I could do it over again, it's murder on the knees.

Yeah, Lord knows I haven't done any favors by always putting her on my neck.

Bolow posted:

Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of people in japan think this guy is an idiot and are more pissed off about how it makes japan look

That was more the first guy, who the Japanese public kind of made fun of.. This guy is viewed as someone who was trying to help the first and not nearly as bad.

ded posted:

get fucken bro

if you are too lazy i'll help out

Appreciated, but I should be good.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

priznat posted:

Dang

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...317d_story.html

“To the Japanese government: You, like your foolish allies in the Satanic coalition, have yet to understand that we, by Allah’s grace, are an Islamic caliphate with authority and power, an entire army thirsty for your blood,” the man said in English, according to the Site Intelligence group.

“Abe, because of your reckless decision to take part in an unwinnable war, this knife will not only slaughter Kenji, but will also carry on and cause carnage wherever your people are found. So let the nightmare for Japan begin,” the man said.

drat, they have a pretty good speechwriter / PR guy

Do you think they import western talent for their video editing and other high profile roles, and the ones who fall out of the interview process end up like Kenji-san?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

drat, they have a pretty good speechwriter / PR guy

Do you think they import western talent for their video editing and other high profile roles, and the ones who fall out of the interview process end up like Kenji-san?

They do from the UK at the very least.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Sorta wonder why Japan (Or anywhere else, for that matter) doesn't straight up say 'You go there and you're on your own, motherfucker!' to anyone nuts enough to venture into these hellholes.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Krewe De Vieux is rolling tonight.

Mardi Gras justifies the war on terror. Discuss.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm horrible at current events, but for ISIS to strike at Japan, it feels like they think they are the big swinging dick of everything, and they are about to get their asses kicked in by everyone.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

nwin posted:

I'm horrible at current events, but for ISIS to strike at Japan, it feels like they think they are the big swinging dick of everything, and they are about to get their asses kicked in by everyone.

about to? theyve been getting their poo poo pushed in for months now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nwin posted:

Don't listen to D&D and ISIS propaganda, they've been getting absolutely wrecked by all the bombing campaigns and our support of the Iraqi government and Kurds.

poo poo's clearly still hosed up, but it seems like that's because people are hesitant to get involved in a quagmire in the big cities and less because ISIS is gaining tons of new ground every day. The Kurds said they weren't going to bother after Kobane, since that was theirs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

WarpedNaba posted:

Sorta wonder why Japan (Or anywhere else, for that matter) doesn't straight up say 'You go there and you're on your own, motherfucker!' to anyone nuts enough to venture into these hellholes.

Pretty sure Japan just sent that exact message.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

make sure to load MMR darts

Now I wanna see some dude go on a vaccine-dart shooting spree in some yuppie antivaxx community or elementary school.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
I don't think ISIS realizes who they've recently pissed off. Japan pretty much invented the modern suicide bomber, cut off their fair share of the white man's heads, AND was able to take two nukes, only to rebuild and meet the world's need for miniaturized electronics, schoolgirl panties, and animated tentacle rape.

If I was Abe, I'd exercise the Gundam Protocol, and send nuclear kamikazes into the heart of the Middle East.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Japan can't get offensive with anything nuclear, that would jeopardize their bullshit victim status.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Yeah, but nobody will care if they use nerve gas on the muds or do medical experiments on them.

Gotta one up the Germans!

Go full on loving Bantam Death March on the muds asses.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

Right up until some dirty hippie lights up a joint.

Then the hippie will be 'funding terrorism' and the NYPD will be able to fire Predator drone launched Hellfires into the protest!

The military gets to get rid of old Hellfires and Predators, the corps get to sell more Hellfires, and America is infected by one less hippie!

It's Win/Win/Win!

Ain't gonna be no "old" Preds, at the rate we're crashing those things we're just going to fly them until there aren't any more left and then we'll move on to Reapers.

Seriously, that's basically the plan.

Also yeah, ISIS has been completely getting their poo poo kicked in over the past several months. There's valid concerns over the long-term efficacy of our current strategy as well as concerns as whether it's been worth the cost, but if there's one thing the US military has gotten really good at over the past several years, it's using airstrikes to blow up Arab males running around with AK-47s and technicals. This is doubly true when they are considerate enough to mass in large numbers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

iyaayas01 posted:

Ain't gonna be no "old" Preds, at the rate we're crashing those things we're just going to fly them until there aren't any more left and then we'll move on to Reapers.

Seriously, that's basically the plan.

Also yeah, ISIS has been completely getting their poo poo kicked in over the past several months. There's valid concerns over the long-term efficacy of our current strategy as well as concerns as whether it's been worth the cost, but if there's one thing the US military has gotten really good at over the past several years, it's using airstrikes to blow up Arab males running around with AK-47s and technicals. This is doubly true when they are considerate enough to mass in large numbers.

Is there any reason we shouldn't use them until we have so few that it's no longer viable to keep using them, and then decommission/demo them entirely? Maybe not crash every single one, obviously, but the US seems to have a problem maintaining legacy systems long after they've been replaced - that's an expensive habit, especially when you're talking about an organization as large as DoD.

I understand the logistical problems replacing a system, but there are just as many problems maintaining a system beyond EoL - sometimes more costly, not just in terms of dollars, but in terms of reliability/functionality that in the case of military equipment could cost lives.

I realize this is more of a budget problem than anything (at least I hope it is! looking at the F22's final number of orders), but I don't really see the problem with "use it until it's gone" rather than keeping a bunch kicking around in storage, taking up space and inventory just for the hell of it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there any reason we shouldn't use them until we have so few that it's no longer viable to keep using them, and then decommission/demo them entirely? Maybe not crash every single one, obviously, but the US seems to have a problem maintaining legacy systems long after they've been replaced - that's an expensive habit, especially when you're talking about an organization as large as DoD.

I understand the logistical problems replacing a system, but there are just as many problems maintaining a system beyond EoL - sometimes more costly, not just in terms of dollars, but in terms of reliability/functionality that in the case of military equipment could cost lives.

I realize this is more of a budget problem than anything (at least I hope it is! looking at the F22's final number of orders), but I don't really see the problem with "use it until it's gone" rather than keeping a bunch kicking around in storage, taking up space and inventory just for the hell of it.

They're incredibly less capable compared to Reapers, so in a perfect world we'd have replaced them with Reapers a long time ago.

Unfortunately the demand for CAPs and the amount of Reapers in the inventory means an all-Reaper fleet is still a little ways off...I was being halfway sarcastic with the "crash them all" comment but not really because the Pred retirement date keeps getting pushed back as the demand for CAPs remains high and the Reaper continues to have production-related challenges.

Keeping aircraft in storage is less for "let's keep them just in case" reasons and more for "let's keep them for spare parts" reasons. In addition to the obvious examples of older models of aircraft that are still in active service (KC-135, F-16, F-15, B-1, etc), aircraft in the boneyard that are fully out of service still have components on them that can be used on other planes. AMARG plays a critical role in the supply chain as a supplier of parts...it typically "saves" the military around $450M-$500M in part costs annually, which compared to what it costs to operate is a pretty significant bargain.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iyaayas01 posted:

They're incredibly less capable compared to Reapers, so in a perfect world we'd have replaced them with Reapers a long time ago.

Unfortunately the demand for CAPs and the amount of Reapers in the inventory means an all-Reaper fleet is still a little ways off...I was being halfway sarcastic with the "crash them all" comment but not really because the Pred retirement date keeps getting pushed back as the demand for CAPs remains high and the Reaper continues to have production-related challenges.

Keeping aircraft in storage is less for "let's keep them just in case" reasons and more for "let's keep them for spare parts" reasons. In addition to the obvious examples of older models of aircraft that are still in active service (KC-135, F-16, F-15, B-1, etc), aircraft in the boneyard that are fully out of service still have components on them that can be used on other planes. AMARG plays a critical role in the supply chain as a supplier of parts...it typically "saves" the military around $450M-$500M in part costs annually, which compared to what it costs to operate is a pretty significant bargain.

That makes a lot of sense - I guess the situation that made me ask was the M47 Dragon, mentioned a couple pages ago. I looked it up on Wikipedia just to get an idea of its capabilities, and it's mentioned that though the system was retired in 2001 in favor of the Javelin, it's still in US stocks. Why? How common is that?

I was trying to avoid mentioning older systems that really haven't had a replacement fielded yet, and was thinking specifically of the KC-135 and the B-52, mostly just recognizing that the Predator is a very early drone, one that we learned a lot of lessons from but has ultimately been superseded by newer technology.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is the Raptor still being produced? Wiki seems to think it's been taken out of production in favour of the F-35, but I mean... wasn't it introduced like less than 10 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Two Finger posted:

Is the Raptor still being produced? Wiki seems to think it's been taken out of production in favour of the F-35, but I mean... wasn't it introduced like less than 10 years ago?

Raptor has been out of production for quite awhile now, though IIRC the tooling was mothballed - not that it wouldn't cost a shitload to restart the line, it would, but it could be done if necessary. For all practical purposes though, we're highly unlikely to see more of those than we have now.

That said, the F-22 is kind of a specialty beast, we never intended to produce them in mass numbers. The F-35 is the catch all fighter for the next 50 years, which accounts for the three required variants: land based, carrier based, and STOVL. The Raptor will never have that kind of flexibility.

• Locked thread