Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

drives me nuts that he got as far as putting config files in version control, but didn't make the leap to actual configuration management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

after doing a lot of configuration management I wish everyone just used the one format. ini or toml or whatever i don't care.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

after doing a lot of configuration management I wish everyone just used the one format. ini or toml or whatever i don't care.

xml

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jinja2

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my stepdads beer posted:

plists

XML, OpenStep ASCII, and binary

interchangeably

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
is there any real benefit to the xml plist format over the old ns ascii or was it just succumbing to circa y2k software fashion

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

celeron 300a posted:

Multitouch on my asus laptop works just fine. In fact, everything on my asus laptop works fine under Linux, even suspend.

The only issue is that if you connect an external monitor, do some work, and disconnect the external monitor, and lock the laptop, and go into suspend... when you wake up the laptop, the screen isn't locked anymore. I could file a bug report on gnome shell but I'm too lazy and it's ubuntu gnome so whelp

how about it reducing your battery to life to just under 2 hours

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hmm, centos for webserver and a few minor apps, or ubungu/debian/fedora/gentoo/slack ?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
centos was pretty good when i last used a digitalocean vps

pick what you're more comfortable with i guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

debian/ubungu then, or maybe centos, learning redhat cjing wouldn't hurt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

is there any real benefit to the xml plist format over the old ns ascii or was it just succumbing to circa y2k software fashion

it supports Unicode text and the content is fully typed, so no ambiguity about whether an object should be interpreted as a string or an integer or a date or whatever. the OpenStep format had just strings, arrays, and dictionaries; the XML and binary formats also support several different numeric types, booleans, dates, data blobs, and so on.

that doesn't mean the XML plist format isn't terrible XML. I wish there was an "OpenStep plus" format or something that just removed the ambiguity and added Unicode. (no, JSON isn't it, though that's still better than INI files and similar poo poo)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

what could explain that?

its a warmer signal without all the sharp overtones

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

debian/ubungu then, or maybe centos, learning redhat cjing wouldn't hurt

it's all very similar these days. debian will be getting systemd next version so may as well learn it now with centos7

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

it's all very similar these days. debian will be getting systemd next version so may as well learn it now with centos7
oh, was not aware of that. centos for sure then

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I still hate centos for having ridiculously old packages with subtle bugs in it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

I still hate centos for having ridiculously old packages with subtle bugs in it

i tried to yum update my centos vm and got a kernel panic for my trouble, linux lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i liked the install process for centos 7 but i had to fight the urge to add all available packages in one go instead of just picking the ones i wanted because fuuuuuuuuuuuck there must be a few thousand in there

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive been using ubuntu on my vms recently because im tired of yum and the rhel repos in general. wanna install nginx, no go. apache is enterprise grade. wanna install basically anything made in the last 20 years, epel bitch!! wanna install hhvm on centos 7. u compile the whole loving thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wait, apache and nginx are problems on centos, for personal use?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx isnt on the centos repos period, you have to add the official nginx repo. and apache is poo poo never use it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ok i guess i added it for ubuntu too lol :pram:

add-apt-repository -y ppa:nginx/stable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

nginx isnt on the centos repos period, you have to add the official nginx repo. and apache is poo poo never use it
nginx repo sounds like solvable problem, and uhm, time to get better at nginx i guess
last time i hosted website was in, uhm, 2005 i think, when i was running private server in mu online

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

saucepanman posted:

i liked the install process for centos 7 but i had to fight the urge to add all available packages in one go instead of just picking the ones i wanted because fuuuuuuuuuuuck there must be a few thousand in there

pram posted:

ive been using ubuntu on my vms recently because im tired of yum and the rhel repos in general. wanna install nginx, no go. apache is enterprise grade. wanna install basically anything made in the last 20 years, epel bitch!! wanna install hhvm on centos 7. u compile the whole loving thing

this is the #1 problem with linux, it's loving stupid that distributions "package" applications on behalf of their authors. the result is this, where (a) installing the os is a hell of a lot more complex than it ought to be because you're installing potentially thousands of apps and (b) it can be a nightmare to install what you want anyways

also (c) dll hell, that phenomenon which open source beardos mocked windows for in the 90s, actually still exists in some form on linux

in 2015, i despair of the yolotd

pram
Jun 10, 2001

kalstrams posted:

nginx repo sounds like solvable problem, and uhm, time to get better at nginx i guess
last time i hosted website was in, uhm, 2005 i think, when i was running private server in mu online

the problem with apache is, it comes default in prefork mpm which is total poo poo. and no one ever changes it. i have literally never seen it deployed in any other mode. it has an event mpm like nginx but it may as well not exist

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the problem with apache is, it comes default in prefork mpm which is total poo poo. and no one ever changes it. i have literally never seen it deployed in any other mode. it has an event mpm like nginx but it may as well not exist

mod_php only works reliably with prefork because php is poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

this is the #1 problem with linux, it's loving stupid that distributions "package" applications on behalf of their authors. the result is this, where (a) installing the os is a hell of a lot more complex than it ought to be because you're installing potentially thousands of apps and (b) it can be a nightmare to install what you want anyways

do you prefer the windows model, where every application author shits out an msi that does random things to your filesystem, and you have hundreds of duplicate copies of libraries in unknown paths?

BobHoward posted:

also (c) dll hell, that phenomenon which open source beardos mocked windows for in the 90s, actually still exists in some form on linux

dll hell only exists on linux if you're an idiot who doesn't understand rpath / ld.so

it's only even possible to gently caress this up by running "./configure; make; make install" without setting a prefix. so if you don't know what you're doing, don't do that. (as a corollary, this means you can't use rubygems/pypi/cpan either. you can thank me later)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do you prefer the windows model, where every application author shits out an msi that does random things to your filesystem, and you have hundreds of duplicate copies of libraries in unknown paths?

as an apple cultist, i prefer the model where application authors can poo poo out self contained applications that stick everything inside a single bundle directory that can go absolutely anywhere on the fs without breaking or interfering with anybody else's app bundle

quote:

dll hell only exists on linux if you're an idiot who doesn't understand rpath / ld.so

it's only even possible to gently caress this up by running "./configure; make; make install" without setting a prefix. so if you don't know what you're doing, don't do that. (as a corollary, this means you can't use rubygems/pypi/cpan either. you can thank me later)

lol. merely by installing rpms i have run into dll probs that required manual fuckery inside /usr/lib/ (and of course also /usr/lib64/ because core linux developers are collectively so loving dumb about adopting outside ideas theyve refused to copy one of the most basic osx features, fat binaries)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mod_php only works reliably with prefork because php is poo poo

I thought fastcgi was the way to go there, in because mod_php is as you say

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"if you don't know what you're doing, don't use the defaults"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you should be using php-fpm or hhvm if u need php. but you only need an http server as a proxy, and nginx is the best at that. just give it up apache yr poo poo sux

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, hhvm threads pretty well, as you might expect

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

"if you don't know what you're doing, don't use the defaults"

the default is to install things provided by the package manager

if you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, stick to the package manager, don't loving compile it yourself and install stuff in random places

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

you should be using php-fpm or hhvm if u need php. but you only need an http server as a proxy, and nginx is the best at that. just give it up apache yr poo poo sux

apache is a perfectly good proxy, log generator, url rewriter for your poo poo on localhost

what it sucks at is caching and load balancing. but for those i have haproxy and varnish

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol. lets make up for the fact that apache is poo poo by throwing varnish in front of it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

lol. merely by installing rpms i have run into dll probs that required manual fuckery inside /usr/lib/ (and of course also /usr/lib64/ because core linux developers are collectively so loving dumb about adopting outside ideas theyve refused to copy one of the most basic osx features, fat binaries)

so you downloaded a random rpm off the internet and you're surprised that making GBS threads all over the filesystem breaks stuff? good job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

lol. lets make up for the fact that apache is poo poo by throwing varnish in front of it

apache is never the problem

(it's the slow lovely applications behind apache :smith:)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i can do load balancing, caching and proxying with nginx. but why?? when i can use three different things all with completely different configuration *tends to artisanal vcl files*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Why is apache bad and nginx good

A friend of mine installed nginx on his app server because it was the cool and hipster thing to do

I installed apache on my own unrelated server because if it ain't broke don't fix it

Guess which one of those two http server projects got a remote code execution exploit a couple of months later

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because like i said, apache comes in prefork which means each child is single threaded and blocked for the entire duration of the request. nginx does practically everything better, and isnt vulnerable to ancient poo poo like slowloris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowloris_%28software%29

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

since my apache knowledge is apparently outdated, i have question about databases too. myslq or postgresql

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
clustering on postgres is bad