Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Fawf posted:

The truth hurts sometimes. Going back to the same dungeon repeatedly with the payoff being "oh boy now I can get to the bottom of this shithole in half the time" blew rear end.

No way, man. Going back into the same space with new tools to traverse it more efficiently was really great.

Speaking of great, y'know what was great? Having Gary from Duckfeed on the most recent episode of Video Games Hot Dog.

The only bad thing about Phantom Hourglass was the control scheme.

Speaking of bad, y'know what was bad? Yoshi's Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I don't really care for either DS zleda game. It just felt like I was having a reddit comment thread beamed into my ear.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Spirit Tracks was kinda whatever but Phantom Hourglass was great, and the controls were good

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The lack of explorable over world is what ruined Spirit Tracks for me. IT'S LITERALLY ON RAILS!!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Spirit Tracks would have been better if Link was in the train outfit the entire time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Spirit Tracks was kinda whatever but Phantom Hourglass was great, and the controls were good

Phantom Hourglass suffered from the same problem that made Majora's Mask terrible -- you had to repeat the same drat thing over and over again with a time limit, which as a concept is inherently anti-Zelda.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Fawf posted:

The truth hurts sometimes. Going back to the same dungeon repeatedly with the payoff being "oh boy now I can get to the bottom of this shithole in half the time" blew rear end.

Actually it owns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zapjackson posted:

You're toast

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

I'm playing Spirit Tracks for the first time and I like way more than Phantom for whatever reason - possibly because trains are charming as heck. The train theme certainly ranks up there with the best Zelda tracks, too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sad news. For people that don't know this guy he used to work at joystiq/shack news and the last time I heard him was on weekend confirmed.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/01/29/crews-search-for-missing-man-at-mckinney-falls/22538585/

Jippa fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 6, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zapjackson posted:

No way, man. Going back into the same space with new tools to traverse it more efficiently was really great.

Speaking of great, y'know what was great? Having Gary from Duckfeed on the most recent episode of Video Games Hot Dog.

The only bad thing about Phantom Hourglass was the control scheme.

This episode was wonderful and so good. :allears:

Also re: the level selfies in video games, FFXIV has a button that makes your character look at the camera and you have a few face only emotes, so it's used as a selfie button of sorts.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I really only think there are a handful of great Zelda games, a couple of good ones, and a whole lot of blah ones. It's like the Metroids series but with less contrast/distance between the wheat and the chaff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

I really only think there are a handful of great Zelda games, a couple of good ones, and a whole lot of blah ones. It's like the Metroids series but with less contrast/distance between the wheat and the chaff.

I stepped into a Gamestop earlier today and heard an employee refer to A Link Between Worlds as "fine". Needless to say I didn't give them any money.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I stepped into a Gamestop earlier today and heard an employee refer to A Link Between Worlds as "fine". Needless to say I didn't give them any money.

Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past are my favorites, followed by Ocarina and Awakening. I want to revisit Majora's Mask really bad and I love Zelda 2, even though I know that's divisive. Everything else? Meh for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What, even the Oracle GBA games?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past are my favorites, followed by Ocarina and Awakening. I want to revisit Majora's Mask really bad and I love Zelda 2, even though I know that's divisive. Everything else? Meh for me.

I feel like there's a version of you, that I know well, and that person would prefer Wind Waker to Ocarina, but then, do we really know anyone?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I feel like there's a version of you, that I know well, and that person would prefer Wind Waker to Ocarina, but then, do we really know anyone?

You know, I got bored with Wind Waker. I would like to revisit it but at the time I couldn't get through it.

And I think the Oracle games are *alright* but nothing too special. Shrug.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Wind Waker starts a little slow, there are a couple of points throughout the story that drag pretty harshly, and while it's a bit of a cliche to complain about the sailing it really is a polarizing mix of "cool exploration" and "a whole lot of empty, open ocean." That said, it's one of my favorite Zelda games and I love the aesthetic (it looks so loving good), I love the feeling of infinite possibilities tinged with just a little bit of loneliness and fear you get from sailing around the ocean and never knowing just what's going to pop up next over the horizon, and I still think some of the story beats are actually really cool.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Wind Waker was ruined when I realized the Triforce Hunt was just an excuse to cut out 6 dungeons because they didn't have time to finish them. I liked everything about the gameplay mechanics, even the sailing, but as a whole it fell completely flat for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

That was my point, LBW is totally rad and that guy was wrong.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

There are only two bad Metroid games. :colbert:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

And then one of the other dudes called Beyonce a fake gamer girl because rhythm heaven was too hard. Man, rhythm heaven ain't that hard. I've shown it to plenty of non gaming buddies of mine and they all loved it and definitely beat more than the first few levels.

Yeesh. Anyway, WOFF should do a DS episode, since they are the other retrocast I know about.

When I said that Beyonce joke I made a point to underline the fact that it WASN'T a "fake gamer girl" comment so congrats for making me wary about joking the slightest bit I guess

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

#bobghazi

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

mango sentinel posted:

There are only two bad Metroid games. :colbert:

prime 3+hunters are bad, prime 2 is meh, fusion is a good game but a bad metroid game, metroid 2 is whack but has nifty ideas, the rest are cool.

Gaming Podcasts 2014: Ranking all nintendo games forever

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bobservo posted:

When I said that Beyonce joke I made a point to underline the fact that it WASN'T a "fake gamer girl" comment so congrats for making me wary about joking the slightest bit I guess

I thought it was a funny comment, their whole ad campaign for the DS at that point was strange as poo poo. I remember there was one featuring Lisa Kudrow cooking with her niece using the DS as a cookbook. That's how Nintendo was marketing a "gaming handheld".

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Samopsa posted:

prime 3 [is] bad

While I agree to some extent I think the first-person controls in 3 are amazing. Aiming with the wiimote is well realized in that game in ways I haven't seen in any other first-person wii game.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think anybody who plays Link's Awakening for the first time today will have a mostly bad time. At least that was my experience. I'll quote myself from the Giant Bomb thread where we just had this same conversation recently.

quote:

I understand that the GB only had two buttons and so you could only use two items at a time. But then, they shouldn't have had so many drat obstacles thrown at you -- SO MANY times where you had to switch to the glove/feather to jump over a single pit or lift a single pot. And as soon as you left the screen, everything would respawn. This made the world map and dungeons really tedious to navigate.

On the world map there were also additional barriers like walls, rivers etc. where you had to make ridiculous detours just to get to places and the portal system was really underdeveloped (as far as I know there were only three available for most of the game). The dungeons had a lot of stupid gimmicks like horse dice where you had to keep throwing them until they both landed face up and it was complete luck if it happened.

The game had a lot of potential and doing everything the first time was fun but quickly became frustrating when you were looking for the last key you need and you pass through a room 50 times where you have to move a pot, jump over a pit, and hookshot over to something, which requires you to go into your menu 3 times just for one screen.

Game needs a modern update really bad.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 1, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sharay posted:

While I agree to some extent I think the first-person controls in 3 are amazing. Aiming with the wiimote is well realized in that game in ways I haven't seen in any other first-person wii game.

Actually Prime 3 is great and much better than 2

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Samopsa posted:

prime 3+hunters are bad, prime 2 is meh, fusion is a good game but a bad metroid game, metroid 2 is whack but has nifty ideas, the rest are cool.

Gaming Podcasts 2014: Ranking all nintendo games forever
I'm loathe to remind you of this, but Other M exists and is (nominally) a Metroid game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is amazing though.

Mother you're alive!

"Too bad YOU......
WILL DIE"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Every single Metroid game is bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago and that game has the worst physics of any 2D platformer I've played. Yes, I went there (probably because I grew up on the much tighter mechanics of Mario and Mega Man)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I think Super Metroid is one of the all time Best Games. A lot of my salt for the games that came after is because they just shat on what made that game special to me. Totally subjective video game opinions a poppin'.

I'd love a remake of Metroid 2, which is mechanically obnoxious but still has the feel of the series before it became an exposition nightmare.

Oh, and I agree with that criticism of Link's Awakening. I'd love a remake of that as well. Get on it, Nintendo.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bobservo posted:

Oh no, I got that you weren't actually doing that! Just that I thought that game wasn't impossibly difficult, as I've seen a handful of non gaming oriented people play and enjoy that game, more so if they play an instrument or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mister Adequate posted:

Every single Metroid game is bad.
Tonight, on Things Wrong People Say

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

I think Super Metroid is one of the all time Best Games. A lot of my salt for the games that came after is because they just shat on what made that game special to me. Totally subjective video game opinions a poppin'.

I'd love a remake of Metroid 2, which is mechanically obnoxious but still has the feel of the series before it became an exposition nightmare.

Oh, and I agree with that criticism of Link's Awakening. I'd love a remake of that as well. Get on it, Nintendo.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking Super Metroid, but like I said I grew up on Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) where the platforming is really tight since you're generally moving in one direction and there's more action to the gameplay. When I came to Super Metroid over 15 years after my first formative platformer experiences, the controls were just waaay too floaty and loose for me, which is probably better for an exploration-based platformer but I did not like them at all (also the knockback which is really jarring because it's not floaty at all). I liked Zero Mission and liked Fusion more than most people specifically because the controls felt much tighter.

Also yes, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and I would love to see it re-visited, I think it has that same otherworld-ness that Majora's Mask has and the world felt HUGE at the time (probably because of how it was tiled off). Nintendo should give it the same treatment they "gave" A Link to the Past when they made A Link Between Worlds.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm.... Yoshi's Island sucks and every Metroid game is bad, right here on the same page. Anybody got a spare "Hitler did nothing wrong" kicking around in their skull itt?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Hmm.... Yoshi's Island sucks and every Metroid game is bad, right here on the same page. Anybody got a spare "Hitler did nothing wrong" kicking around in their skull itt?

Hello, yes, greetings. In fact I am him, Adolf Hitler. Hello.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It was all going to end in Hitler eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Post-Symphony Castlevania is the true successor of Metroid anyways

• Locked thread