Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That may be true, but depending on where you live, there are TONS of nursing positions open. They're probably happy that they have a pool to draw from and offer positions to those who are wanting to work there. 6 months is kind of long, but if big hospitals are desperate for nurses, and there seems to be a shortage of nurses/more shortages to come then if they're willing to take applicants, the more power to them.

You probably won't be expecting to get anything sexy or cool for your first nursing assignment, but getting your foot into the door of a big hospital can lead to great opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
There is definitely no shortage in the NYC metropolitan area. Upstate things may be different though so I think I'll start applying there soon.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Must be geographic. El Paso and Las Cruces NM, there's offerings for 5k sign on bonuses for 18 month contracts and even anniversary bonuses just to keep nurses here. We have two big universities with nursing programs *NMSU & UTEP* and 2-3 ADN programs, and its difficult to keep nurses down here

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MurderBot posted:

Must be geographic. El Paso and Las Cruces NM, there's offerings for 5k sign on bonuses for 18 month contracts and even anniversary bonuses just to keep nurses here. We have two big universities with nursing programs *NMSU & UTEP* and 2-3 ADN programs, and its difficult to keep nurses down here

Those places are offering bonuses because either nobody wants to live there, so anybody that graduates leaves or they're lovely places to work. I remember seeing Eagle Pass TX advertising crazy $20k bonuses forever in the nursing trade mags.

See also: North Dakota, back woods Alaska, various other shitholes, etc. Some of the people on here got their start doing that and got out of there ASAP iirc

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
El Paso, TX does not seem that bad. I know the border is right there, but I've heard the El Paso side is all good. I would not mind going to El Paso to work for a year. The only problem I have is I'm trying to find a convenient RN-BSN program which is both online and accredited. So if I go out of my home state the problem will be finishing up my bachelor's because every university out of state has different requirements for their BSN. I'd prefer not to attend the for profit schools like Excelsior, not that anything is wrong with those programs, but I think they are too expensive.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LordAnkh posted:

El Paso, TX does not seem that bad. I know the border is right there, but I've heard the El Paso side is all good. I would not mind going to El Paso to work for a year. The only problem I have is I'm trying to find a convenient RN-BSN program which is both online and accredited. So if I go out of my home state the problem will be finishing up my bachelor's because every university out of state has different requirements for their BSN. I'd prefer not to attend the for profit schools like Excelsior, not that anything is wrong with those programs, but I think they are too expensive.

Get enrolled in your state university's BSN before you make a break for the new job. I've only had to verify my state residence once, at that was at the start of my RN-to-BSN online program.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All the various places I pick up patients at, the nurses seem to enjoy their job, albeit 1 hospital which the staff members are paid really well but seem to always be running short, and apparently middle/upper management sucks.

You are right though, nobody really wants to come down here to work, I think some people get stuck in El Paso due to family and other ties, and those who can escape the border town head for greener pastures.

Las Cruces is a good place, and the hospitals are new grad friendly too... Oh and the food down here is ridiculously good, just an FYI.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Las Cruces sounds interesting and I really enjoy Mexican culture as a whole. Are there any good RN-BSN programs down there?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So NMSU has an online RN to bsn program that I know nothing about, however I know their traditional bsn program is quite good, and I'll be going there for my phd.

http://schoolofnursing.nmsu.edu/rn2bsn/

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

MurderBot posted:

So NMSU has an online RN to bsn program that I know nothing about, however I know their traditional bsn program is quite good, and I'll be going there for my phd.

http://schoolofnursing.nmsu.edu/rn2bsn/

Thanks, I'll look into this!

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
Some places will hire you and let you start once you graduate, even if you haven't passed boards yet. You'll be a "graduate nurse" and will be restricted on what you do. Our hospital gives new grads 3 months to pass boards before they are demoted to tech. I think they can reapply for a RN position if they pass boards after that, but the only nurse I know of that couldn't pass her boards just quit.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Jesus gently caress, if you were at this hospital last semester, how are you so loving dumb about charting?

I'm already looking forward to next week's clinical where I don't have to be partnered up with a schmo.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Looking for a summer nursing internship in NYC area (Northeast Jersey would be better) have any of you done an internship? I won't be a graduate nurse yet, so yeah looking for some experience. Anyone got any leads? Know a friend?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so what does an aspiring new grad nurse wear to an interview? Like slacks and a polo/button down shirt, or suit and tie?

*dude nurse, if it matters

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

Annath posted:

Hey so what does an aspiring new grad nurse wear to an interview? Like slacks and a polo/button down shirt, or suit and tie?

*dude nurse, if it matters

I think navy or similarly dark colored suit with a neutral tie color and polished black shoes would good. The tie color should be something plain and not too flashy or bright. It's better to be over dressed than under-dressed in my opinion. You want to make the best possible presentation to HR.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

Looking for a summer nursing internship in NYC area (Northeast Jersey would be better) have any of you done an internship? I won't be a graduate nurse yet, so yeah looking for some experience. Anyone got any leads? Know a friend?

Are you a BSN student? Look into NYU Langone and Presby.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LordAnkh posted:

I think navy or similarly dark colored suit with a neutral tie color and polished black shoes would good. The tie color should be something plain and not too flashy or bright. It's better to be over dressed than under-dressed in my opinion. You want to make the best possible presentation to HR.

These are the ties I currently own:

I'm thinking the red one? But I can certainly go out and buy one if these are too garish (I like my Jerry Garcia ties...)

I actually need to go buy a suit because the last time I wore one was my gramps' funeral back in '06...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

I'm thinking the red one? But I can certainly go out and buy one if these are too garish (I like my Jerry Garcia ties...)

I actually need to go buy a suit because the last time I wore one was my gramps' funeral back in '06...

I wore a button down dress shirt and tie to one as a new grad and the same shirt and tie with a vneck sweater to another a year later. I got both jobs. I still only have one button down dress shirt and tie. My ex went to two interviews (ICU and ER) in scrubs and got both jobs.

If you're not a good enough candidate, dressing over the top won't matter.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

LordAnkh posted:

Are you a BSN student? Look into NYU Langone and Presby.

Diploma student. Of course all the good ones are for BSN students.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Cacafuego posted:

If you're not a good enough candidate, dressing over the top won't matter.

I think the pastel triangles would be fine, with the right shirt and suit. Or shirt and slacks and sweater, maybe.

When I was offered the interview that turned into my first RN job, the manager said "If you'd like, you can shadow for a few hours after the interview. This also means you can wear you're favorite scrubs to the interview."

Barring an invitation like that, a suit.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

Annath posted:

I actually need to go buy a suit

Get some solid-color ties while you're at it. Please.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

chinchilla posted:

Get some solid-color ties while you're at it. Please.

Ok... :smith:

I just really like those Jerry Garcia ties...

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Banana hammock.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I wore a tight polo as possible so the manager new I could def help lift or move or be compressions every time

Weebly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just make sure you mention you don't give a poo poo about patients and it's all about the bottom line and meeting budget.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
8 months ago I left the ICU to take a nursing informatics position. I'm finding I kind of miss the chaos. :smith:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Hughmoris posted:

8 months ago I left the ICU to take a nursing informatics position. I'm finding I kind of miss the chaos. :smith:

I heard about nursing informatics, how is the day to day? Full time? What do you actually do?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Cube farm presumably

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

LordAnkh posted:

My thing is also how long they'll keep the job for you until you graduate. I mean if I apply now in February who says that they have to keep my position until July when I'm licensed? But if I apply in May or June then it's less time for them to wait.

You don't know when they actually need to have a person on the floor by. It could be two weeks after they put up the job or six months. Or if they don't hire you now, they may contact you for a similar position later. The conventional wisdom I've seen is that you should start applying in January for positions you'd like to have after passing boards in the summer.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

Annath posted:

I think the orange tie in the middle would be fine. It's not too bright and the patterns are mild.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Has anyone heard of the University of Louisiana - Lafayette? They have a RN-BSN program which is about 12 months long and allegedly costs $9-10k. I checked and found their program is accredited by the CCNE, the school itself is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission (which is recognized by the DOE). Also, it seems there are no clinicals.

Is this program too good to be true? UL is a public university system so this isn't a for-profit diploma mill. I don't think future employers or grad schools will care either because it's accredited.

http://degree.louisiana.edu/about.aspx

http://degree.louisiana.edu/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

White Chocolate posted:

I heard about nursing informatics, how is the day to day? Full time? What do you actually do?

Its a full-time position. Day to day, I do a little bit of everything. I am knee deep in developing/building/supporting features of our EMR. I do a lot of Meaningful Use work, help nurses/physicians with workflow issues, attend lots of corporate meetings. I had an ISP tech support position before I ventured into the healthcare field, so that helps me out in this.

For example, a big project on our plate is helping our PACU bring their DAS (Data Aquisition System) online. The PACU nurses want it to be like the ICU, where a monitor constantly logs their patient's vital signs and they no longer have to do it by hand. A lot of factors play a part in this project, such as the customizing the ADT (Admission Discharge Transfer) system, the central data server, having virtual beds built, developing the new workflow for the nurses and blah blah blah.

Long story short, if you enjoy IT and nursing then you might enjoy this field. It can be boring, it doesn't have the excitement of the bedside but it also doesn't have the downsides that come with the bedside. I work Monday thru Friday, 8-4:30. All the holidays and weekends off.

It's a field that will only get bigger, as more and more hospitals jump on the Meaningful Use train and try to become completely paperless. I'm probably going to start picking up PRN in our SICU, just to keep my bedside skills fresh and earn a little extra spending money.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Roki B posted:

Cube farm presumably

Nope, have an office with two other informaticists and a pharmacist. I spend a lot of time rounding the floors, listening to nurses bitch about the EMR and how its the computer's fault that they didn't scan their patient/medication and overdosed them.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 9, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*double post, ignore.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have survivor's syndrome after that cardiovascular Med Surg 2 exam. :psyboom:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm getting smashed after my Anesthetic Pharmacology exam. So the fun never stops! If you need to know about action potentials in Locus ceruleus or GABA activation of the Ventrolateral preoptic nucleus or etomidate's suppression of the adrenocortical axis or the effect site equilibration time and volume of distribution of thiopental I'm your man.

Although to be honest though grad school hasn't taken up too much more study time than nursing school did. poo poo is way way more complicated and I realized how much basic physiology and pharmacology nurses are never taught which I get because they aren't going to be prescribing so really don't need to understand.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm getting smashed after my Anesthetic Pharmacology exam. So the fun never stops! If you need to know about action potentials in Locus ceruleus or GABA activation of the Ventrolateral preoptic nucleus or etomidate's suppression of the adrenocortical axis or the effect site equilibration time and volume of distribution of thiopental I'm your man.

Although to be honest though grad school hasn't taken up too much more study time than nursing school did. poo poo is way way more complicated and I realized how much basic physiology and pharmacology nurses are never taught which I get because they aren't going to be prescribing so really don't need to understand.

But see I intend to get my DNP and practice as a Nurse Practitioner so yay me my brain is gonna be melting out of my ears by the time I'm through.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

But see I intend to get my DNP and practice as a Nurse Practitioner so yay me my brain is gonna be melting out of my ears by the time I'm through.

Hopefully nothing in nursing school melted your brain.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

Hopefully nothing in nursing school melted your brain.

Not really. I've had more difficulty with adjusting to instructors' teaching styles (we get new teachers each semester). Although keeping individual meds within a class separate is tricky. Lots of flash cards...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

Not really. I've had more difficulty with adjusting to instructors' teaching styles (we get new teachers each semester). Although keeping individual meds within a class separate is tricky. Lots of flash cards...

Hahaha yeah the difficult part of it is adjusting to your dumb rear end instructors lovely flawed logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

Really? Lucky you. We had instructors rotating EVERY week.