Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Bet his wife lives the way he talks about single moms, their mommy feelings and incapability to handle anything without an alpha male. Good grief, that poor woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
My daughter just turned two a few weeks ago, and is sometimes interested in climbing out of her crib, but often times just waits for me to pick her up in the morning/after her nap. She's getting more bold as the weeks go buy, so I"m debating about converting her to a toddler bed so I"m not woken up by her screams of pain as she fell out of her crib while trying to climb out.
When do you typically convert it to a toddler bed? I'm hesitant on doing this sooner rather than later, because I'm a single parent, and not thrilled with the idea of her having easy access to my room to crawl into my bed/wake me up by scaring the poo poo out of me in the middle of the night. She can also open doors, and right now I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment, with her bathroom between my room and hers. I'd probably need to get another gate, but how effective are those with toddlers, and is there a problem with delaying the inevitable?

ARCDad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

momtartin posted:

My daughter just turned two a few weeks ago, and is sometimes interested in climbing out of her crib, but often times just waits for me to pick her up in the morning/after her nap. She's getting more bold as the weeks go buy, so I"m debating about converting her to a toddler bed so I"m not woken up by her screams of pain as she fell out of her crib while trying to climb out.
When do you typically convert it to a toddler bed? I'm hesitant on doing this sooner rather than later, because I'm a single parent, and not thrilled with the idea of her having easy access to my room to crawl into my bed/wake me up by scaring the poo poo out of me in the middle of the night.
Is there a problem with delaying the inevitable?

As soon as you think there's a possibility of her climbing out. The problem with delaying the inevitable is the very real risk of her injuring herself. It sucks, but it's just not worth the risk of ending up with a kid in a cast or with a head injury.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Our daughter just turned 2, and we're getting her a regular need ASAP. (Mostly because she refuses to sleep in her own bed for more than a few hours a night, this way at least one of us can sleep in her bed, whether it's her or mommy or daddy.) *notalphaenough*

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
logosanatic, don't sell yourself short on your influence on the little girl! Surely if you had not swept in and and saved that poor woman with her mommy issues her daughter would be smoking crack and committing armed robbery by now. I mean, she was having tantrums for godsake.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Thanks for proving my point. And to everyone else, thanks for missing it. Your kid is not in the gifted class because you read to them in the womb and overdosed on folic acid. Give credit to the child for the things they achieved. My kid is smart because she's smart. For me to claim it's a reflection on me is self centered and takes credit away from her.

By the way, how many of those 4 year old music prodigies burn out and end up hating it when they get older? If a kid is a musical genius you don't have to force them to practice because that IS their play time. Same with sports. You can encourage it and support it, but the child's heart has to be in it or it's pointless.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 1, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ambystoma posted:

I sincerely hope you're a troll logosanatic. If not, well, maybe you and ActusRhesus can go hang out together :iamafag:

Yeah. Because it's not like we made completely opposite points. Reading comprehension. It's a thing.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 1, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

momtartin posted:

When do you typically convert it to a toddler bed? I'm hesitant on doing this sooner rather than later, because I'm a single parent, and not thrilled with the idea of her having easy access to my room to crawl into my bed/wake me up by scaring the poo poo out of me in the middle of the night. She can also open doors, and right now I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment, with her bathroom between my room and hers. I'd probably need to get another gate, but how effective are those with toddlers, and is there a problem with delaying the inevitable?

Now. You do it now. When your kid can climb out of the crib, you drop the bars because they're not only ineffective but now also dangerous.

Get another gate if you need one. You are, of course, only delaying the inevitable in that your child will eventually climb/step over them, but if they work then just use them for now. Find another strategy to keep your kid in their room at night if it doesn't work as well.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

momtartin posted:

Basically once they start climbing out. She'll either wake you up screaming or land fine and run amok through the house doing God knows what.

The gates are pretty effective until they are older and depending on which one you get. Connor can't climb over the ones we have (he is 4) but he can open them. If it was one with a fancier catch he wouldn't be able to but we don't mind him opening them as long as he closes them behind him to keep the two year old contained.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, we got the toddler bed at 2, and had to move him immediately, since baby #2 need the crib. If you have trouble with roaming at night, a gate will work, or you can try "marking" the entrance of your bedroom like an alpha male. For us, it just took a few weeks of insisting he go back to bed if it was too early, and he stays in bed, most of the time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bleh. My son has been having some regression in potty training overnight. He's been seen and it's nothing medical. Sometimes this thing just sort of happens with autism, for a variety of reasons. But GoodNites has pretty much become my favorite company in the world right now, for being the only company I could find with sleep pants in older kid sizes, up to 125 lbs. Hopefully, we can get him back on track soon though, because they are not cheap.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Bleh. My son has been having some regression in potty training overnight. He's been seen and it's nothing medical. Sometimes this thing just sort of happens with autism, for a variety of reasons. But GoodNites has pretty much become my favorite company in the world right now, for being the only company I could find with sleep pants in older kid sizes, up to 125 lbs. Hopefully, we can get him back on track soon though, because they are not cheap.

Clearly you just need to get logosanatic in to teach you how to establish dominance like a real man

:allears:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I did cloth training pants, saved me money in the longrun, he felt like they were underwear (Goodnights feel like diapers, diapers mean don't make any effort to get to a toilet), and saved me having to strip the bed and wash sheets every night. We ended up with Eco-Posh brand, their large is good for 45+ lbs. They are not fully waterproof, but drat close.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Clearly you just need to get logosanatic in to teach you how to establish dominance like a real man

:allears:

Do I need to Alpha Roll him? Or should I pee in the bed before he can, to show him who is boss? This dominance thing is hard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Do I need to Alpha Roll him? Or should I pee in the bed before he can, to show him who is boss? This dominance thing is hard.

Why not both? \/:shobon:\/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Poop Talk 2015:

Our little 6 month old Eleanor poops maybeee once every 2-4 days. Sometimes once a day if she's feeling saucy.

The past 36 hours? 8 times. Eight. Full. Times. The color and consistency is fine and her disposition is great. In fact during all of this she's probably been the laughing-est, smiling-est, rambunctious she's been in a while. We have some pedialyte on standby. She's drinking from the breast fine but I'm just afraid she's gonna get dehydrated.

I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow just in case but had anybody else had something like this happened? I'm guessing a touch of a small virus or something.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BonoMan posted:

Poop Talk 2015:

Our little 6 month old Eleanor poops maybeee once every 2-4 days. Sometimes once a day if she's feeling saucy.

The past 36 hours? 8 times. Eight. Full. Times. The color and consistency is fine and her disposition is great. In fact during all of this she's probably been the laughing-est, smiling-est, rambunctious she's been in a while. We have some pedialyte on standby. She's drinking from the breast fine but I'm just afraid she's gonna get dehydrated.

I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow just in case but had anybody else had something like this happened? I'm guessing a touch of a small virus or something.

Unless it's full on dihareha she is probably fine. If you are super concerned you could always supliment with a couple ounces of water.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
She could be working on a tooth or two. Mine always turns into a poop machine when teeth are eminent.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
My two and a half year old has taken to peeing on the floor next to the toilet rather than in the toilet. She was pretty much toilet trained.

Suggestions? I'm thinking we just have to follow her in there and make sure she sits on the toilet first but my partner did that and she just got off the toilet and peed on the floor once she'd left her alone. She's obviously doing it on purpose.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Establish dominance. Hit her with a rolled up newspaper.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think we can move on now guys.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

photomikey posted:

Establish dominance. Hit her with a rolled up newspaper.

What, I'm meant to tackle her into the pee covered floor and bare my teeth over her neck like some kind of alpha? Eww.

No, wait. Is she marking her territory? My god, he was right all along! I must establish my dominance as soon as possible. I share smear my poop on all the walls.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Konomex posted:

What, I'm meant to tackle her into the pee covered floor and bare my teeth over her neck like some kind of alpha? Eww.

No, wait. Is she marking her territory? My god, he was right all along! I must establish my dominance as soon as possible. I share smear my poop on all the walls.

Geez guy, you don't need to go that far. Just sprinkle a couple drops on the floor when you take a piss. Lets the women folk know there place.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

sullat posted:

Yeah, we got the toddler bed at 2, and had to move him immediately, since baby #2 need the crib. If you have trouble with roaming at night, a gate will work, or you can try "marking" the entrance of your bedroom like an alpha male. For us, it just took a few weeks of insisting he go back to bed if it was too early, and he stays in bed, most of the time.

My two year old loves waking up and coming to our room to get in our bed. If I bring him in the bed, he falls back asleep in about 5 minutes and we transfer him back to his bed. I'd like to break him of coming to our room like this every night, but I think this is going to have to wait till summer when my husband and I are both not working so sleepless nights aren't as big of a deal.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

I think we can move on now guys.

No, see, you've got to beat a dead horse to establish your dominance over it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
:bandwagon::biotruths::regd08:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

For content:

Post your kids' birthday party stories! My wife wanted to make our oldest sons' 5th special so she went a bit over the top and custom printed a bunch of banners and stuff. There may have been a bit of parent competition :cripes: involved as many of her friends have already done pretty extravagant parties, but it was super fun and the kids all had a blast. It was pirate themed. I'll try to post some pics later from my PC.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 2, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Went to Chuck E. Cheese for the kid's birthday one time, and I had to climb my rear end up in the play area, because he was too scared to get down. That was memorable.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

For content:
kids' birthday party stories!

We're very low-key here, my sister is the Pinterest-Party-Person. We do snacks and cake and got a bouncy house for my daughter's 3rd. Everything went wonderfully until the guy showed up to take the bouncy house away again. I don't think she's forgiven us yet.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Amykinz posted:

We're very low-key here, my sister is the Pinterest-Party-Person. We do snacks and cake and got a bouncy house for my daughter's 3rd. Everything went wonderfully until the guy showed up to take the bouncy house away again. I don't think she's forgiven us yet.

All our parties up to this one were very quiet. I baked a cake from scratch and so on, family would come if they were around, but our sons' friends were all having them this year so we thought why not :shrug:

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
So my daughter is moving to a new classroom at daycare (two's instead of "1's), and holy poo poo is she not handiling the transition well at all. I dropped her off at daycare this morning, and she was in absolute tears when I took her to her new room. She had an iron grip on me as I tried to put her down and was crying for her old teacher or me. I tried to read to her a bit, and calm her down, using our normal routine, but she was having none of it. Most upset I've seen her in a long time, and was screaming in tears "dada" as I left (won't lie, I teared up a little as I left).

Are there any good tips on how to help her transition? They don't encourage toys from home, etc, and she's the oldest in her group, so she went in alone. Her mom wants her to do some dance class that's an extra $20/month, which she said she had fun at, so I'm all for that, but that's only once a week. I hate seeing her so sad/scared. How do I help my munchkin?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
From ones to twos I don't think you can do much. As they get older I've learned "practice" helps a lot, stuff that feels kinda over-the-top and stupid like "let's practice setting your lunchbox in the 4 y/o room instead of the 3 y/o room", and "let's see what kind of cool stuff they have in the 3 y/o room", etc.

A lot of warnings, countdowns, etc.

And still sometimes it's a little anxiety inducing on the first day. I mean, if I started a new job tomorrow, when I walked in, I'd have butterflies in my stomach.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our daycare changes rooms a lot. They have older babies, young ones, middle ones, older ones, and now we're in young twos. The first week is usually the hardest when we have to switch. It seems like the longer we try to stay and calm him down the worse it becomes so we usually go in, do the usual drop off routine and get out of there so he can get over us going. He's a super social kid though so that might help. He'll calm down and be fine within 5 minutes of us going.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

momtartin posted:

So my daughter is moving to a new classroom at daycare (two's instead of "1's), and holy poo poo is she not handiling the transition well at all. I dropped her off at daycare this morning, and she was in absolute tears when I took her to her new room. She had an iron grip on me as I tried to put her down and was crying for her old teacher or me. I tried to read to her a bit, and calm her down, using our normal routine, but she was having none of it. Most upset I've seen her in a long time, and was screaming in tears "dada" as I left (won't lie, I teared up a little as I left).

Are there any good tips on how to help her transition? They don't encourage toys from home, etc, and she's the oldest in her group, so she went in alone. Her mom wants her to do some dance class that's an extra $20/month, which she said she had fun at, so I'm all for that, but that's only once a week. I hate seeing her so sad/scared. How do I help my munchkin?

Does the daycare do anything to help them transition? Ours well have them start spending half days in the new area with pickup and dropoff in the old area. Then pickup will be in the new area, until finally the whole day is in the new area.

Also even after a year in his current group, our son still takes a few days to get excited for dropoff after we get back from vacations.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007

Papercut posted:

Does the daycare do anything to help them transition? Ours well have them start spending half days in the new area with pickup and dropoff in the old area. Then pickup will be in the new area, until finally the whole day is in the new area.

Also even after a year in his current group, our son still takes a few days to get excited for dropoff after we get back from vacations.

They did a transition week last week apparently, but I wasn't there for that as it wasn't my custody time. I realize at this age there's not a lot we can do, but holy hell is it tough hearing her sobbing my name as I leave.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

momtartin posted:

They did a transition week last week apparently, but I wasn't there for that as it wasn't my custody time. I realize at this age there's not a lot we can do, but holy hell is it tough hearing her sobbing my name as I leave.

My kids never had a tough time with class transitions in daycare, but they have gone through several phases. I hate daycare, daddy don't leave etc. Just do the best you can. My 3.5 year old is lukewarm on daycare, he prefers to hang out at home with me. It breaks my heart every morning, I wish I could stay home with him when he asks.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

momtartin posted:

My son's school transitions for weeks, almost a month. He's the oldest, potty trained kid in his preppers class and they just started sending him up to preschool class. He won't be in there for full time until March after he turns three. Maybe ask to extend the transition time so she has more time to adjust?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This will be interesting, gf just got a job 4 days of the week at a place nearby so she can walk to work, not bad for someone out in the sticks. Daycare for the boys already next week, quite abrupt. We're supposed to go to for acclimatization this week and perhaps just her on monday when I am back at work again from paternal leave, this month shot by like a comet and I still got 4 more weeks I gotta use before they're 2.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

This will be interesting, gf just got a job 4 days of the week at a place nearby so she can walk to work, not bad for someone out in the sticks. Daycare for the boys already next week, quite abrupt. We're supposed to go to for acclimatization this week and perhaps just her on monday when I am back at work again from paternal leave, this month shot by like a comet and I still got 4 more weeks I gotta use before they're 2.

Ughhhh shut up! (just kidding) My husband's grandma is from Finland and we always half joke that we should find a way to use that to move out of the US and to a better country. Sort of like how if you can prove if you have Irish decent you can move back to Ireland or Italian people can move back to Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Alterian posted:

Ughhhh shut up! (just kidding)

My husband has also saved up four weeks of his paternity leave for later use, and will spend one of them driving around Normandy with le bebe this spring on a special daddy&daughter holiday while I have my exams at home

:norway: :hf: :finlanddoesnthaveaflag: