Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
They also said t13 will be impossible without some gear, they haven't got a good track record so far of predicting difficulty.

Not that its a bad thing, I'd rather them overestimate rather than underestimate their raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'm also disinclined to believe the source there. Everything about it is sounding very unreliable, and the current lack of an implementation of more savage modes after second coil very much spells out that they don't think it's something worth developing for. They'd essentially be alienating the players that aren't going to clear savage but did clear or are in the process of clearing final coil right now if they made it harder than savage since that portion of the playerbase would have no content catered to them any more, since the stated intent for normal mode Alexander is to be easier than Coil currently is. From a business perspective it'd be very foolhardy.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 1, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Smart Car posted:

I'm also disinclined to believe the source there. Everything about it is sounding very unreliable, and the current lack of an implementation of more savage modes after second coil very much spells out that they don't think it's something worth developing for. They'd essentially be alienating the players that aren't going to clear savage but did clear or are in the process of clearing final coil right now if they made it harder than savage since that portion of the playerbase would have no content catered to them any more, since the stated intent for normal mode Alexander is to be easier than Coil currently is. From a business perspective it'd be very foolhardy.

To be fair they could easily mean harder in gearcheck related ways (HP requirements, DPS requirements) which an explicit gear stepping system (Normal>Hard) could allow for?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm gonna new some new glamours to combat all the clod strifes on the chocobo track.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Joe_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rei_ posted:

Alexander HM will be a higher difficuly spike than SCOB->Savage Coil, will drop it's own ilevel of gear

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2uecly/alexander_hard_will_be_harder_than_savage_coil/

Didn't they also say in a previous interview that Alexander Normal would be more like Coil with Echo and Hard would be closer to Current Coil?

Seems a little inconsistent.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm trying to server to transfer over to Excalibur but in the ToS for the transfer it says:
・Characters cannot be transferred to Worlds with restrictions on character creation.

Does this mean I have to wait for the server to open up to pay for my transfer?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

m.hache posted:

So I'm trying to server to transfer over to Excalibur but in the ToS for the transfer it says:
・Characters cannot be transferred to Worlds with restrictions on character creation.

Does this mean I have to wait for the server to open up to pay for my transfer?

Correct. We're in the middle of a free weekend right now so Excalibur is going to be packed even more than normal, but early mornings on the weekdays should open up hopefully.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
My FC on Phoenix is kinda dying and I'm thinking of transferring to Excal to play with goons rather than try to find a new one. Are there a lot of EU goons on Excal? Will I be able to do fun raids and trials with friends without having to log in at 2am?

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

CoalforChristmas posted:

He's a higher up but he's not the actual leader. Super Mario's the official leader. Sal's just a higher up and pays for the mumble server. And I have many stories about his strange and weird behavior.

Tell me more, I'm pretty new to the guild but can already tell he's a class 10 shitlord and would love more stories of him going crazy.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Popehoist posted:

My FC on Phoenix is kinda dying and I'm thinking of transferring to Excal to play with goons rather than try to find a new one. Are there a lot of EU goons on Excal? Will I be able to do fun raids and trials with friends without having to log in at 2am?

There's two goon guilds on Excalibur, both have a mix of most time zones. There's almost always someone on at least, and the server is one of the most populated overall so the DF is pretty active at all hours.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Didn't they also say in a previous interview that Alexander Normal would be more like Coil with Echo and Hard would be closer to Current Coil?

Hard would be harder than current coil is what they said previously.

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Tell me more, I'm pretty new to the guild but can already tell he's a class 10 shitlord and would love more stories of him going crazy.

I'm pretty new to the FC myself but I've been running with MIST guys for a long time.

Now about Sal, he used to be known as Gondar and when my raid group was still new, he had this obnoxious habit of following girls around and /question ing them. He did this for months to me and the other 2 women in my raid group. One of them wouldn't put up with his bullshit after a while and told him to gently caress off and he got really upset and rage logged off. He changed names after he came back to Balmung. The reason why he left in the first place was to be with some internet girlfriend and next thing I know he's back in MIST under the name Salforis Mors. He has a habit of rage quitting mumble for little reason. Such as, a couple of people in my raid group had some trouble adjusting to Sal instead of Gondar and he freaked the gently caress out about that. The yo momma incident was a thing of glory. Literally the conversation in mumble went

:j: *something something clear shot at the boss*
:v: Your MOM's a clear shot at the boss!
:argh: Why you talking about my mom?
:j: :v: What?
:argh: I don't talk about your mom, why the gently caress you gotta talk about mine?
:j: Are... are you joking?

And no he was not. Super Mario was in the channel with us telling him that its just a stupid joke and he needs to chill and we can't all walk on eggshells around him and then Sal goes "Well I'm going to shut down mumble then" and then Mario had a chat with him in another room and all was "well"

Nowadays, he spends his time demanding the tank in my group post a stream so he can give us advice on final coil. Sometimes, he'll come into our mumble channel and bother us by debating about things no one cares about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Alexander HM will be a higher difficuly spike than SCOB->Savage Coil, will drop it's own ilevel of gear

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2uecly/alexander_hard_will_be_harder_than_savage_coil/

Wow I really don't like the idea of separate difficulties with separate loot drops!

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

CoalforChristmas posted:

I'm pretty new to the FC myself but I've been running with MIST guys for a long time.

Now about Sal, he used to be known as Gondar and when my raid group was still new, he had this obnoxious habit of following girls around and /question ing them. He did this for months to me and the other 2 women in my raid group. One of them wouldn't put up with his bullshit after a while and told him to gently caress off and he got really upset and rage logged off. He changed names after he came back to Balmung. The reason why he left in the first place was to be with some internet girlfriend and next thing I know he's back in MIST under the name Salforis Mors. He has a habit of rage quitting mumble for little reason. Such as, a couple of people in my raid group had some trouble adjusting to Sal instead of Gondar and he freaked the gently caress out about that. The yo momma incident was a thing of glory. Literally the conversation in mumble went

:argh: I don't talk about your mom, why the gently caress you gotta talk about mine?

And no he was not. Super Mario was in the channel with us telling him that its just a stupid joke and he needs to chill and we can't all walk on eggshells around him and then Sal goes "Well I'm going to shut down mumble then" and then Mario had a chat with him in another room and all was "well"

Nowadays, he spends his time demanding the tank in my group post a stream so he can give us advice on final coil. Sometimes, he'll come into our mumble channel and bother us by debating about things no one cares about.

Yikes, sounds like a big baby. Maybe the release of Gold Saucer and Triple Triad will soothe his easily angered soul.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow I really don't like the idea of separate difficulties with separate loot drops!

you do one and then do the other when you're ready

like idk this might be what Heavensward has instead of Tomes, is Alex Normal gear vs. Alex Hard gear which is the equivalent to Coil gear

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Rei_ posted:

you do one and then do the other when you're ready

like idk this might be what Heavensward has instead of Tomes, is Alex Normal gear vs. Alex Hard gear which is the equivalent to Coil gear

:thejoke:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Yikes, sounds like a big baby. Maybe the release of Gold Saucer and Triple Triad will soothe his easily angered soul.

Sounds like he needs to be told to gently caress right off if he can't play nicely with others. Aren't there free mumble servers you can use instead or something?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I haven't paid much mind to retainer setups, but I'm sick of paying my retainers two ventures an hour just to get goddamn fish.

What's a better way to do it? Consolidate all my best hand me down gear onto one DoW and go for BTN/MIN with the other?

vvv Edit: Sorry, no, I mean I have two geared DoW retainers doing nothing but quicks. I was just wondering if I shouldn't be doing things differently.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Meldonox posted:

I haven't paid much mind to retainer setups, but I'm sick of paying my retainers two ventures an hour just to get goddamn fish.

What's a better way to do it? Consolidate all my best hand me down gear onto one DoW and go for BTN/MIN with the other?

If you're planning to gear up a retainer to do quick ventures you're still gonna get loads of fish, just with a bunch of utnradeable and ugly dye mixed in as well.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CoalforChristmas posted:

This is why people should go through the trouble of playing on Excalibur, we have generally benevolent Chairman. I just wish it was pain free to get on excalibur.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The targeted ventures and the possible rewards for exploration ventures do depend on your retainer's class (combat, miner, botanist, or fisher). I don't know offhand of anything particularly worthwhile from combat retainers' exploration ventures (the rarest thing I know about is the Tiny Tapir, and at least on Balmung that doesn't fetch a high price). The biggest money I know of in that regard is the almighty Fat Cat, which requires the retainer to be a reasonably well geared fisher. The equivalent Littlefoot from botanist is also fairly decent money.

Quick ventures are very hit or miss, mostly miss. They don't particularly interest me, but if you like dye or free furnishing, then maybe?

Otherwise, go for targeted ventures. Miners and botanists are a very hassle-free way of keeping up your shard and crystal supplies if you craft, and in botanists' case are also an easy way of getting basic gathered seeds if you garden (not as helpful for soil since you'll want the grade 3 soil which retainers can't get). Fishers can go after specific fish (which is not something you can do while actually fishing), including a few mooched, weather-specific, or otherwise less common fish. Combat retainers can go for relatively in-demand mob drops (though relatively is the key word here), such as ingredients for raiding potions, or base materials that crafters can chew through a lot of (like fleece).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fishious posted:

They also said t13 will be impossible without some gear, they haven't got a good track record so far of predicting difficulty.

Not that its a bad thing, I'd rather them overestimate rather than underestimate their raids.

To be fair the people who did clear T13 used a lot of i110 Pentamelded stuff, which is on a par with i120 to i125 gear, the line was "We expect you'll need new gear to clear it" and yes indeed they used new gear.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vil posted:

Quick ventures are very hit or miss, mostly miss. They don't particularly interest me, but if you like dye or free furnishing, then maybe?

They hit often enough for me that I just use quick ventures. Of course I don't craft at all or do any DoL, because I just don't have the time. It takes all of the time I put into the game to keep my PLD and BRD classes fairly up to date.

I think it's important to note that unless you craft or are trying to build a bunch of pentamelded i110 stuff, gil is largely worthless in this game. I'm sitting at 2.2mil right now and don't really have anything to spend it on.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I finally bought a house.

Now the sacred work may begin.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Chyea posted:

I finally bought a house.

Now the sacred work may begin.

Apkallu Pentagrams and Ahriman furniture for the glory of SMOLENKOS

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Popehoist posted:

There's more than enough of us around so you won't feel lonely at all! Infact there are quite a few EU centric statics about...including mine which needs an 8th full-time member if you're interested at all.

Here's a link to our thread on the ffgoons forums: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27485

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Debating if I want to play this game again or renew my WoW sub.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

Only one has catgirls.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ShadowMoo posted:

This one, absolutely.

Hitler Roe's and cat girls.

And cat boys but really who plays those?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

ShadowMoo posted:

Everybody in this thread is going to tell you FFXIV. If you didn't play WoD yet I'd say it's worth doing the leveling to 100 at least once, though.

I think you won't be sad with either choice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Why did no one who watched the live letter mention that Triple Triad has Shuffle or Boogie as the music? :swoon:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

They said hard would be like savage coil back when the normal/hard versions were announced.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is it even worth it to have a DoL retainer? I have a 50 miner and 50 conj retainer. It seems like it would be loving expensive to fully gear out the miner retainer.

I figure it shouldn't be hard to get a retainer to ilvl 100 for DoM/DoW classes since all the EX instances drop ilvl 100 gear. Whereas it seems like it would be ludicrously expensive to kit out a DoL retainer.

DoW/DoM retainers seem about 100x easier to upkeep since it just relies on ilvl.

I'm thinking of retraining my miner to conj and just rolling with 2 conj retainers, but I'm just not sure if I should commit to that change.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Is it even worth it to have a DoL retainer? I have a 50 miner and 50 conj retainer. It seems like it would be loving expensive to fully gear out the miner retainer.

You really only need AF Gatherer set + i45-50 offhands, just use those + a decent gathering weapon and you are set

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mordiceius posted:

I figure it shouldn't be hard to get a retainer to ilvl 100 for DoM/DoW classes since all the EX instances drop ilvl 100 gear. Whereas it seems like it would be ludicrously expensive to kit out a DoL retainer.

DoW/DoM retainers seem about 100x easier to upkeep since it just relies on ilvl.

I'm thinking of retraining my miner to conj and just rolling with 2 conj retainers, but I'm just not sure if I should commit to that change.

You can use them to lazily farm lower level mats on an hourly basis.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stormgale posted:

You really only need AF Gatherer set + i45-50 offhands, just use those + a decent gathering weapon and you are set

For the highest tier of ventures you need like 420 gathering. Seems crazy high. People were saying it requires forager gear/supra items and all fully melded.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

For the highest tier of ventures you need like 420 gathering. Seems crazy high. People were saying it requires forager gear/supra items and all fully melded.

The weapon is the only hard part, and "full melding" for Retainers is just gathering (as perception does nothing for them IIRC), which is really cheap.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So what is the best way to handle ventures? In the past I had just thrown them at quick explorations. Should I continue to do that?

I was thinking of just doing quick explorations while online and then do an 18 hour field exploration before logging for the night.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Fluffy posted:

They said hard would be like savage coil back when the normal/hard versions were announced.

Weird. I thought the entire idea was for Normal to be more accessible, almost like a story version.

The whole difficulty level paradigm doesn't seem like it's very useful if the higher tier is Savage-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Perfect.

• Locked thread