Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
The way that graph is presented is rather disingenuous. It should show % employed/unemployed out of the employable population. It's not like the US has 50% unemployment. Most of that is probably kids/old people that can't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Nice try liberal, but the world was Created last Tuesday and anything that appears older than that is a fabrication by Satan to tempt us away from the True Faith, including hominid fossils, tree rings, the Empire State building, Casablanca, and all our memories.

Bloodnose posted:

Does anyone have a response to this? It's the argument I hear most from the right about how Obama's jobs numbers are all lies.

It's important to think on where people are coming from with this argument. First of all, people greatly overestimate unemployment levels, citing it as 5 times higher than it is. So when a jobs report comes out that is so far from their perception, the inclination sometimes isn't "wow I must be wrong" but rather "bullshit they must be cooking the books." It is true that there are roughly 2 million more people who want a job but stopped looking than pre-recession, who are technically unemployed but not counted in the primary unemployment numbers, but that's not new. The number of new jobs taken is good news even if we're still in the hole on people who would take a job but aren't looking right now.

Also FRED owns for looking for economic data to graph.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

Guys, it's not in the constitution so who gives a gently caress? I'm pretty sure Elle Bowdrop is this close to coming out as a "Freeman on the land".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I always hate the signs that say "because of minimum wage increases, prices are rising." The price hikes, to maintain profits, are low enough that most people wouldn't notice or even really mind them, but once you point them out people get outraged. And then they vote against other minimum wage increases, hurting the poor even worse, all because spiteful employers.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sign at the register saying prices going up because of minimum wage? Well, I guess that's a fact then!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hamster_style posted:

Guys, it's not in the constitution so who gives a gently caress? I'm pretty sure Elle Bowdrop is this close to coming out as a "Freeman on the land".

Empathy isn't in the constitution, but the commerce clause is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nevvy Z posted:

There's also that nifty General Welfare clause - the clause so nice they wrote it twice.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

By voting to save Barabbas Jesus was able to sacrifice his life, which is what was required for us to go to heaven? Isn't that how the story goes? Jesus was born to die on the cross and wipe away our sin?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

There's also that nifty General Welfare clause - the clause so nice they needed to write it twice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spalec posted:

By voting to save Barabbas Jesus was able to sacrifice his life, which is what was required for us to go to heaven? Isn't that how the story goes? Jesus was born to die on the cross and wipe away our sin?

Yeah, but we foolish mortals are supposed to Feel Bad that we chose Barrabas over Jesus. Our horrible nature is an essential part of the plot.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, why does the first amendment apply to corporations that own corporations and TV networks?

Also, we should come up with a shorter term for that because that's a mouthful to say every ti—

The 1st Amendment posted:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Oh, right, he's an idiot, and I'm arguing with a JPEG.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah, but we foolish mortals are supposed to Feel Bad that we chose Barrabas over Jesus. Our horrible nature is an essential part of the plot.

Also God/Jesus planned to "descend into hell [and punch Satan]" and decided that they would take the hard way(with a little bit of cheating).

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Bloodnose posted:

Does anyone have a response to this? It's the argument I hear most from the right about how Obama's jobs numbers are all lies.

Aside from what's already been mentioned it looks like that graph's identical to the one from the bureau of labor statistics here: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS12300000 only their scale is artifacted to hell and back. So what they're quibbling over from the beginning of 2014 to now is about half a percentage point.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You see, men and women actually have the same rights - the right to have sex with men without the risk of their partner becoming pregnant.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mo_Steel posted:

quote:

Almost as though stagnant wages have forced people to rely on assistance more often to make ends meet. Also presumably includes social security, which they probably usually adamantly argue isn't welfare because they paid for it so it's theirs.

Politifact actually covered this one.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jan/28/terry-jeffrey/are-there-more-welfare-recipients-us-full-time-wor/

It's incredibly disingenuous for a few reasons.
1.It's including welfare at a very broad definition
2.The way it's counting that is comparing the number of full time workers vs. the number of beneficiaries of welfare. i.e. in a household of a family of four where one person receives welfare it's counting all 4 as being on welfare. On it's own this isn't a problem because one can assume if a single mother with 3 kids is receiving food stamps, all 3 kids are benefiting from the food stamps, but those same statistics only counts the working mother as actually working, even though clearly the kids are also benefiting from her money.. Since children and seniors either cant or don't work, it bolsters the number of welfare recipients by a lot.
3.It ignores people people both working and receiving benefits. Any idiot could see that a Venn diagram of "workers" and "welfare recipients" would have a noticeable overlap but it doesn't meet the narrative so gently caress you.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 1, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Support the Troops! Unless they're darker than this lunchbag, then gently caress you and gently caress the life you're putting on the line for my country, Sancho!

I laughed more than I should have at that image in particular because, last I checked, you don't really need to be a U.S. citizen to enlist in the U.S. military. Last I heard that was actually one of the ways you could get citizenship. Like it's actually designed to work that way. Sign up, serve four years, welcome to America!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I laughed more than I should have at that image in particular because, last I checked, you don't really need to be a U.S. citizen to enlist in the U.S. military. Last I heard that was actually one of the ways you could get citizenship. Like it's actually designed to work that way. Sign up, serve four years, welcome to America!

And in a Republican administration it probably is viewed positively.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When I was in the Navy we had a few sailors who had to be extra careful when we visited Korea. Since they weren't U.S. citizens yet, they could theoretically end up getting conscripted.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

myron cope posted:

Sign at the register saying prices going up because of minimum wage? Well, I guess that's a fact then!

If an Australian company did that they'd probably end up out of business. You need to prove down to the dime that a wage increase is causing your price increase to stop the government from eating you alive.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How do you deal with a relative who doesn't understand the concept of respecting boundaries? I know they want me to get better at communication but the first lesson of that is knowing what is appropriate and what's not.

And my mother is lecturing me about watching stuff that has swearing ignoring 1) I don't even watch a lot that has swearing in the first place and 2) I've heard that hypocrite and my stepfather swear many times.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 2, 2015

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Most of the clauses in the preamble are pretty drat empathetic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yep, I knew quite a few Filipino guys and a few from the Caribbean on my ship who signed up for the Navy so they could get citizenship.

On top of that, Bush signed an executive order in 2002 that authorized any non-citizens serving in the military on 9/11 to immediately file for citizenship, as well as veterans of past wars. Although I'm not sure who this "Bush" fellow is, must've been some sort of nickname for Obama.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I never once visited an Air Force finance office (and there were 5 different ones) that didn't have at least one Jamaican working in it. Also there was a Jamaican dude in my flight in basic who was going into finance.

Made me think that Hermes Conrad may have been based on a real person.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My Filipino uncle was *drafted* and served in Vietnam before he managed to become a citizen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimera-gui posted:

How do you deal with a relative who doesn't understand the concept of respecting boundaries? I know they want me to get better at communication but the first lesson of that is knowing what is appropriate and what's not.

And my mother is lecturing me about watching stuff that has swearing ignoring 1) I don't even watch a lot that has swearing in the first place and 2) I've heard that hypocrite and my stepfather swear many times.

I think you may be in the wrong thread, mate.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What's a good thread to take this to then?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

For the record, you cannot enlist in the military if you are not at least a legal permanent resident. There are no "illegals" joining the military. I have a buddy who is now semi-legal under the DREAM Act who really, really wants to join but can't. The DREAM Act actually lists military service as one of the ways to achieve permanent residency but the military will not enlist anyone who isn't already a permanent resident so it uh, doesn't actually work. Currently it seems to only apply to people who enlisted using fraudulent documents claiming they already had permanent status. There's actually a case of a guy doing that and getting caught and still being granted citizenship which is pretty :unsmith: at least. There is an effort to just straight up allow people with non-permanent status to enlist in the military but it's getting stonewalled by Republicans for national security reasons and totally not xenophobic racist reasons.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Service guarantees Citizenship. Join up now!

Would you like to know more?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Support the Troops! Unless they're darker than this lunchbag, then gently caress you and gently caress the life you're putting on the line for my country, Sancho!

'Our military will never go against the Constitution!'

*has literally argued in favor of a military coup before, which is about the most unconstitutional thing the military could possibly do*

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mr. mephistopheles posted:

For the record, you cannot enlist in the military if you are not at least a legal permanent resident.

That is true. They also can deny enlistment even if you're a legal immigrant if it's from a nation deemed hostile to the US.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Bates posted:

'Our military will never go against the Constitution!'

*has literally argued in favor of a military coup before, which is about the most unconstitutional thing the military could possibly do*

Well it wouldn't be necessary to have a coup in the first place if that damned Democrat in the oval office wasn't making GBS threads all over the constitution all day every day. It isn't a coup if it's defending ARE FREEDUMZ!!!! :bahgawd:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Chimera-gui posted:

What's a good thread to take this to then?

Do we have a junior high school thread?

Seriously though, just call your mom Hitler then kick-flip to indy grind on the cat. That'll get your point across.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
All anti-vax arguments are pretty dumb, but one of the worst for me are the ones that say "No one gets X disease anymore, why would we need a vaccine for it?" and never stop and connect the dots that maybe the reason no one gets them anymore is specifically because we vaccinate for it. I'm hoping I can help get her to connect the dots, she's usually pretty open to changing her viewpoint.

This same lady posted a common core math macro a couple of months ago and her sister, who is a teacher, explained how it worked and why it's a good idea and by the end of it the OP was like "oh, that makes a lot of sense, cool" so maybe the same will happen here.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This came up on my Facebook feed:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I want an anti-american welfare-receiving illegal immigrant made out of straw I can reply to those with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chimera-gui posted:

I've seen the exact same but for the UK and Australia, right down to the "that other countries would never give them" :haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Benefits like going bankrupt from medical bills!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

All anti-vax arguments are pretty dumb, but one of the worst for me are the ones that say "No one gets X disease anymore, why would we need a vaccine for it?" and never stop and connect the dots that maybe the reason no one gets them anymore is specifically because we vaccinate for it. I'm hoping I can help get her to connect the dots, she's usually pretty open to changing her viewpoint.

I don't have the exact quote here, but Ruth Bader Ginsburg had a great line in her dissent to when the supreme court threw out the (one section about pre clearance of the) VRA. It was something about throwing away your umbrella because you aren't getting wet anymore. The vaccine thing is like that.

E: Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Chimera-gui posted:

But let's not think about WHY people might have come to dislike the U.S., because America Is Perfect Shut Up. We've made children in Afghanistan afraid of the sky, but clearly we're doing nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

And in a Republican administration it probably is viewed positively.

#eachandeverysinglething