Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

BBJoey posted:

you mean like every other multi-platform game in existence? :monocle:

I remember Dragon Age 2 and the shitshow that was. They kneecapped their assets (assuming they even made high quality ones to begin with) in order to fit things on a DVD and then didn't provide better ones for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqzUyMXwSGk

Kevin VanOrd says some things about playing W3, mostly posting because the stuff he says about the sirens is an encounter I (very probably) worked on.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqzUyMXwSGk

Kevin VanOrd says some things about playing W3, mostly posting because the stuff he says about the sirens is an encounter I (very probably) worked on.

If you don't mind answering, what kind of work did you do? You sound like you were in the writing department.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
All this time, I thought he was in the marketing department.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm a quest designer.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Some PC folk seem very determined to keep acting like consoles are 10-year-old hardware with weird architecture. PS4 and xbone are basically mid-range PCs right now, wait three years and then go back to enjoying the Master Race complex.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

I'm a quest designer.

I hope you played Dragon Age Inquisition and took it as a lesson in how to not design quests in an open world RPG.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Senjuro posted:

I hope you played Dragon Age Inquisition and took it as a lesson in how to not design quests in an open world RPG.

I think Witcher 3 was largely done by DAI's release, right?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Senjuro posted:

It's odd: the Witcher series has always had MMO-style quests of "kill x number of y monster, and bring me back their trophies," but they never felt low quality. Maybe it's that killing monsters for coin is an established part of what it actually means to be a witcher. It also helped that a lot of those quests ended with a boss/unique monster of the same type being summoned after you killed x normal ones, which gave them flavor beyond your basic MMO quest.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't intend on playing DA:I, why was it poopy?

Also the kill X Y works because they aren't main quests in the least, they're just little job board postings that you don't even have to read. I love that in the latest developer video they go up to a job board and just mash 'A' and take all of them without reading.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Cantorsdust posted:

It's odd: the Witcher series has always had MMO-style quests of "kill x number of y monster, and bring me back their trophies," but they never felt low quality. Maybe it's that killing monsters for coin is an established part of what it actually means to be a witcher. It also helped that a lot of those quests ended with a boss/unique monster of the same type being summoned after you killed x normal ones, which gave them flavor beyond your basic MMO quest.
That and crafting some special contraption or potion in order to deal with the monsters.

It adds flavor to what is an otherwise bland filler quest.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If W3 contains more of those quests, I really hope that they have permanent consequence, like completing "kill 50 drowned ones" also makes it so that you will no longer run into drowned ones unless you stray off the beaten path.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It will also be neat if say you kill all the griffins, but because of that you get more of whatever monster they ate as prey running around until you deal with them too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's basically a single player MMO, which doesn't endear itself well to many goons.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

On top of that even some of the seemingly mundane quests that require you to kill X amount of monsters end up having some additional element to them like that guy that asks you to collect a bunch of harpy feathers in The Witcher 2. DAI simply lacks any side quests with actual characters or interesting stories, only campaign missions and companion quests have that but side quests is what you end up doing 80% of the time because they have to fill up the huge world they've created with something.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I loved it, but people don't like that it's a much much larger world than the story requires. There are entire massive regions that you don't ever need to explore or visit but I enjoyed just wandering around and looking at the cool rear end environments. It could definitely use some more focused story driven quests. That said, I still enjoyed it immensely.

I also enjoyed, in some of the regions, as you clear out certain factions you actually stop running into them in that region or they're greatly diminished.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I'm a quest designer.

How many sex scenes have you worked on? :D We all sex scene functionality is crucial to the success of a title.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Wasn't there a mod for Witcher 2 by one of the developers that made the weapons imported from 1 a lot more powerful (and did other stuff that I can't remember)? I'm about to go through 1 and then 2 again and it'd be nice if all the hard work I did to get those weapons actually paid off in 2.

Speaking of, any recommended mods for Witcher 1?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 2, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Farecoal posted:

Wasn't there a mod for Witcher 2 by one of the developers that made the weapons imported from 1 a lot more powerful (and did other stuff that I can't remember)? I'm about to go through 1 and then 2 again and it'd be nice if all the hard work I did to get those weapons actually paid off in 2.

There is no mod in existence for Witcher 1 that makes Act 2 palatable.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Uh do you mean the swamp right after the witcher castle, or the city slums?

The city slums is one of my favourite chapters/levels in any RPG ever. The (first) swamp however bites. That's chapter 1 though (the witcher castle is the prologue).

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
The swamp is Chapter 2, along with the city slums. Chapter 1 is the outskirts of the city and was also kind of poop in a few spots, but still a lot better than the swamp half of Chapter 2.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Monarch posted:

Uh do you mean the swamp right after the witcher castle, or the city slums?

The city slums is one of my favourite chapters/levels in any RPG ever. The (first) swamp however bites. That's chapter 1 though (the witcher castle is the prologue).

The swamp after the village outside of the city. The village is Act 1.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Chapter 1 is Vizima outskirts, with the villagers and the hounds. Chapter 2 is the Vizima Temple Quarter (slums) plus the swamp and sewers. Chapter 3 is adds the Vizima Trade District.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Theres a mod that increases run speed by a small amount, 20 or 30%, which makes the swamp much more bearable. You can just outrun everything- at that point it doesn't give any xp anyway. Just beeline towards your destination

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dud root posted:

Theres a mod that increases run speed by a small amount, 20 or 30%, which makes the swamp much more bearable. You can just outrun everything- at that point it doesn't give any xp anyway. Just beeline towards your destination

You can do that exact thing in vanilla anyway, not like anything does any damage to you.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Farecoal posted:

You're thinking of the Full Combat Rebalance mods made by Flash, who is indeed a developer for the Witcher games. I played through the first game with it and I thought it was amazing, but unfortunately it seems he bit off a bit more than he could chew for the second iteration and it came out somewhat lackluster and buggy. Most don't recommend it, though it might be fine for a second play through.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/635/

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sackmo posted:

You're thinking of the Full Combat Rebalance mods made by Flash, who is indeed a developer for the Witcher games. I played through the first game with it and I thought it was amazing, but unfortunately it seems he bit off a bit more than he could chew for the second iteration and it came out somewhat lackluster and buggy. Most don't recommend it, though it might be fine for a second play through.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/635/

Yeah, that's what I was thinking off. Might use the first one then, thanks

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Someone should put some stuff about Witcher 1 & 2 mods in the OP, specifically the FCR.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

For those wanting a reminder of The Witcher 1, here is a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone should put some stuff about Witcher 1 & 2 mods in the OP, specifically the FCR.

Speaking of combat, who was the "great mind" who thought parrying in W2 should consume stamina and the roll, which was even more secure and supposed a bigger movement, was free stamina wise? :/

I hope that's fixed in Witcher 3.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The swamp is rough, but I otherwise like TW1 act 2? Honestly the biggest bore was act one, and if you survive that you will be absolutely fine. The worst thing about the swamp is it's a huge increase in difficulty over everything you've done to that point, but it's over soon enough.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

hemophilia posted:

The swamp is rough, but I otherwise like TW1 act 2? Honestly the biggest bore was act one, and if you survive that you will be absolutely fine. The worst thing about the swamp is it's a huge increase in difficulty over everything you've done to that point, but it's over soon enough.

I just love baiting the wyverns and opening up a space so I can run in and grab that sweet sword on the island early.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The swamp's my favourite part of the game, though. :(

Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, it's also content dense and pretty compact. It can be difficult to navigate until you get familiar with it, but it's never boring- which is more than you can say for every other area in the game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
That Motherfucking Swamp™

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of combat, who was the "great mind" who thought parrying in W2 should consume stamina and the roll, which was even more secure and supposed a bigger movement, was free stamina wise? :/

I hope that's fixed in Witcher 3.

Are you seriously trying to get me to dis my co-workers? Regardless, I didn't work on W2.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm a quest designer.

What's your favorite quest in any RPG. Why do you like it, and how does that influence your work on W3?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
1. The dream quest in Ultima 7: Serpent Isle.
2. An enjoyable mix of dread and whimsy, played around with the tropes of the RPG by giving the player piles and piles and piles of amazing loot that was entirely useless.
3. no comment

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will the game have Bioware romances?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Demiurge4 posted:

Will the game have Bioware romances?

It will probably have Witcher romances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang