Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You attach a war horse at each corner, and simply lower them into contact with the ground for a speed boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kitchner posted:

Also elephants can carry a poo poo ton of weight but presumably aren't very fast. So I was trying to work out if an elephant can carry enough weight to strap a war horse to the side of it. That way if you need to chase someone you just detach the horse and get on it.

This is pretty peak DnD.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Crasical posted:

This is pretty peak DnD.

Yeah after you've used the phrase "I detach the war horse from my elephant, mount it and flee after the criminal" there's no point playing any further.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Holy poo poo. That's hilarious.

Your idea is basically:
"Can a dog carry a cat's weight?"
"Yes..."
"Oh, so I can strap my cat to my dog no problem, right?"
"Uhhhhhh"

But at the same time, what kind of humorless DM could say no to an idea that crazy?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Your idea is basically:
"Yes..."
"Uhhhhhh"

But at the same time, what kind of humorless DM could say no to an idea that crazy?
My answer would be, like most times my players ask me a question, is "you can give it a go"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jimbozig posted:

Your idea is basically:
"Yes..."
"Uhhhhhh"

It's a great analogy because cats and horses are actually very similar in that they are dumb assholes who hate doing what you want them to and love to thrash about when upset.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Jimbozig posted:

Your idea is basically:
"Yes..."
"Uhhhhhh"

Thing is if the DM said the horse was too restless I'd point out that presumably there is an existence of some fabled horse whisperer right? In some sort of country famous for its horses. So he should be able to train a horse to sleep in a hammock attached to the side of an elephant.

Then we ignore whatever dungeon based quest the DM set and set out to find the fabled horse whisperer of the West or whatever and get me some horse on elephant action (no not like that you sick gently caress).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Or I'd just say

Counter point, horses are carried all the time:

I mean I even found an old photo of a guy carrying a horse on his own, so if a guy can do it I'm sure an elephant can.

I actually think it would be more difficult to make an elephant carry a cat as cars just go off and do whatever the gently caress they want all the time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just get a horsebox to tow behind the elephant.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Just get a horsebox to tow behind the elephant.

Horse boxes will struggle to cross mountains, stop trying to kill the dream.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skeleton horses wouldn't struggle, and would also be much lighter to carry. Necromancy wins again

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just get some harpoons. Anybody who runs from your army of war elephants gets harpooned in the rear end, then you don't need horses to chase them. This plan is getting into pretty much guaranteed "conquer the world" territory now.

edit: ^^^ I wonder if you could convert skeletons into harpoons and shoot your shock troops out of a ballista.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Horse boxes will struggle to cross mountains, stop trying to kill the dream.

Get the wizard to ritual floating disk and make floating horseboxes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goatface posted:

Get the wizard to ritual floating disk and make floating horseboxes.

Get the wizard to ritual floating disk and just ride that. Or to summon a flying horse. Or to just teleport the party to where they're going.

Wizards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

Skeleton horses wouldn't struggle, and would also be much lighter to carry. Necromancy wins again

What is that approaching town to the east?

My god! Is that an elephant? We don't even have elephants this high in the mountains!

Hey, look! It's got something strapped to each side, what on earth is that?.... Wait, are they.... skeleton horses?

Why is the rider sitting on top looking really smug?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

At this point, why are we assuming the elephant is not also skeletonised?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

At this point, why are we assuming the elephant is not also skeletonised?

I imagine trying to sit on a skeleton elephant is significantly more difficult than sitting on a skeleton horse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, he's going to have a much wider spine.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really, going down that road you realize what the optimal solution is: Skeleton elephants

e: should have realized that waiting a few minutes to post would get me beaten

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kitchner posted:

I imagine trying to sit on a skeleton elephant is significantly more difficult than sitting on a skeleton horse.

Pfff, that's what the third skeletal horse is for. Just toss that one up top and you are good to go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Skelephants, if you will.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really it depends on how many skeletons you need to make the elephant obsolete.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Barding and tack for an elephant weighs and costs as much as it does for a riding dog.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Really it depends on how many skeletons you need to make the elephant obsolete.

Personally I think if you have enough skeletons you can find a more efficient form than the elephant-shape. You could probably do something significantly more inventive. Skeleton cart. Skeleton litter. Skeleton tower-of-power. Skeleton tank. Mobile skeleton pipe-organ.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
But enough about Exalted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goatface posted:

Barding and tack for an elephant weighs and costs as much as it does for a riding dog.

Elephants are much better trained and do not need as much barding or tack. Clearly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Nah, he's going to have a much wider spine.

I'd like to see you ride something like this:

If you pull it off you'd look bad rear end though.

"I approach the gates with my skeletal elephant steed. Everyone flees".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You think this would be easier?

The elephant, you ride its head!

e: holy poo poo tables

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My buddy is writing a level 1-20 campaign for Next. Is necromancer Wizard still the go to option?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have you read the last page?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The concept is awesome, no doubt. How is the execution in Mike Mearl's Mearlsiest Edition?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you can challenge the wizard, you're well past challenging any non-casters.

Unless you go heavy on the anti-magic.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

You think this would be easier?

The elephant, you ride its head!

e: holy poo poo tables

I guess I was thinking it's easier to put a saddle on a horse, but then I'm guessing you'd just wire some sort of huge saddle to the elephant too.

So yeah, I guess I concede that really what you should do is spend 200GP on an elephant, kill it, strip down it''s skin and organs (which you can presumably sell, efficient) then raise it back from the dead, do the same with a horse, find a man willing to make a saddle that fits a skeleton horse and a skeleton elephant who isn't going to think you're a dark wizard, and then strap the skeleton horse to the side of the skeleton elephant in case you need a quick speed boost.

I suppose if it's a skeleton horse you probably don't even need to bother with a harness, you can just like to it to the elephant's ribs with rope.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kitchner posted:

I guess I was thinking it's easier to put a saddle on a horse, but then I'm guessing you'd just wire some sort of huge saddle to the elephant too.

So yeah, I guess I concede that really what you should do is spend 200GP on an elephant, kill it, strip down it''s skin and organs (which you can presumably sell, efficient) then raise it back from the dead, do the same with a horse, find a man willing to make a saddle that fits a skeleton horse and a skeleton elephant who isn't going to think you're a dark wizard, and then strap the skeleton horse to the side of the skeleton elephant in case you need a quick speed boost.

I suppose if it's a skeleton horse you probably don't even need to bother with a harness, you can just like to it to the elephant's ribs with rope.

To be fair, you obviate the whole problem by just riding a skeleton horse in the first place, which is presumably faster than the elephant anyway, and doesn't have the live-horse vs live-elephant problem of edurance.

Also, who cares if he thinks you're a dark wizard?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

To be fair, you obviate the whole problem by just riding a skeleton horse in the first place, which is presumably faster than the elephant anyway, and doesn't have the live-horse vs live-elephant problem of edurance.

To be fair, if I was DMing a game where the players went out of their way to make a skeleton horse to ride, I would still insist it can carry about as much as a normal horse (maybe a bit more as it doesn't get fatigued). Whereas a skeleton elephant could carry about as much (maybe more) than a normal elephant, and they can carry a lot.

But yeah, I guess if you don't have anything heavy then sure. Although if you're going to ride a skeleton horse you'll need one per person, whereas arguably you could all ride the elephant.

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, who cares if he thinks you're a dark wizard?

Well depends if you're roleplaying in a world where dark wizards are hunted down and killed by people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wear a white hat and they'll never suspect you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Well depends if you're roleplaying in a world where dark wizards are hunted down and killed by people.

Probably, but there's no reason whatsoever why 'skeleton army' necessarily equals evil. That's a product of this world's values about death and dying, not the values of a world that evolved in a situation where a sufficiently learned men can make zombies clean the sewers and skeletons fight in the army so that people don't have to.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goatface posted:

Wear a white hat and they'll never suspect you.

Skeleton hats.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look, just because some people use these things as a weapon of unbridled horror, and if left alone and untended they forget their orders and start murderous rampages as they revert to following the malign power that drives them, there's no reason why we shouldn't have a skeleton treadmill in the basement, Margaret. It can drive the ceiling fans, power a grain mill, pump water, churn butter. All those little jobs we hate so much.

Yes, I know we've never needed ceiling fans, our water comes out of a natural spring and we've always bought our bread and butter from the shop. Dear, you're just not seeing the potential...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Wouldn't it be better to armor plate the ribcage and build yourself a fort inside its chest?