Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

FMguru posted:

California is a failed state in their minds because it does everything the exact opposite of what conservatives like to do: high taxes, raises taxes, big liberal cities, huge latino population, tolerance of gay people, some strong regulations (especially air pollution) and labor protections, not very Evangelical, freewheeling culture, and so on. By their ideology California should be this flaming bankrupt shithole that people are fleeing in droves, the American equivalent of the late-period Soviet Union. And yet, California is thriving right now. Huge budget surpluses, giant diverse economy, new billionaires and new Fortune 500 companies being created every day. Say, did you hear one of our homespun little hippie companies (run by a genuine out-n-proud homosexual gaylord) just booked the largest quarterly profit in the history of capitalism? I drive by the Tesla factory on the way to and from work every day. The wait list to buy one of their $80,000 electric sedans is almost a year long. They can't make them fast enough, and the plant now employs as many people as when it was making light trucks for Ford/Mazda, and they're looking to expand. Note that this isn't being done in Wisconsin or Mississippi or Kansas - it's happening in California, which is literally impossible according to wingnut theology.

Also guns. To many conservatives, California's gun laws (silly as some of them are, admittedly) are evidence that it is a state completely adverse to individual freedoms. Because to middle class white conservatives, that's the only freedom that matters.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah it seems that wingnut perception of California is perpetually stuck in the 2000s. Acknowledging that it has a budget surplus now is pretty inconvenient for them when they still rag on the state.
They just bring up the pension stuff in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

Also guns. To many conservatives, California's gun laws (silly as some of them are, admittedly) are evidence that it is a state completely adverse to individual freedoms. Because to middle class white conservatives, that's the only freedom that matters.
Oh, yeah, forgot about GUNS GUNS GUNS.

quote:

They just bring up the pension stuff in that case.
Here's a complete list of states that aren't in danger of being bitten on the rear end by underfunded pension obligations:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FMguru posted:

Here's a complete list of states that aren't in danger of being bitten on the rear end by underfunded pension obligations:

Rhode Island :v:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

FMguru posted:

I'll admit that I don't actually know much about other states' pension obligation issues.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/01/walker-on-roll-for-potential-2016-wh-bid-says-open-to-sending-us-troops-to/

Scott Walker said that he is open to ground troops fighting ISIS. Tough on terror!

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Sounds like a real vote winner!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its good to know one's Land War in Asia policy out of the gate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Lindsey Graham, on Face the Nation this morning, said essentially the same thing. Apparently ignoring that Obama's strategy is working and demanding a Third Iraq War is going to be a non-trivial thing, at least during the preliminary GOP primary scuffling.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

Perry can't because there's a significant chance he's in jail in 2016.

There are three things keeping Perry out of the whitehouse - he's under felony charges, Texas's miracle having gone really far downhill, and....aw shoot, the third thing....

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

axeil posted:

Perry can't because there's a significant chance he's in jail in 2016.

Significant is not the word I'd use for 0.000001% but hey

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FMguru posted:

If the ownership trend line continues unbroken, guns guns guns is going to be an albatross in a few cycles.

quote:

Florida

Despite what Rick Scott and the Legislature would have you believe.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Missing Donut posted:

Except that Walker has had a Republican majority for his full term as Governor :confused:

It should also be pointed out that Walker has never had to win Wisconsin with a Presidential Election electorate, which is what he would be facing in 2016.

See, you're assuming that reality matters here - it doesn't. Maybe some Fact Checker somewhere will give it a "Mostly False", but there will be an addendum that technically the Democrats in the Legislature could have...something which would have blocked things or his majority was too small and he had to over-negotiate with his moderates because Dems wouldn't cave or whatever the heck.

On the first level, nobody gives a poo poo about the truth values of the candidates' statements, only that they have a response. On the second level, it'll turn into a "he said, she said", "the truth is in the middle" type of thing. Journalists don't often call out politicians for being blatantly full of poo poo.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Kochs should really start smaller and spend to ring the US with ultra-conservative satellite nations first. The same way ideologies get flipped in Civ 5.

Isn't that what they're doing with WI, KS, and FL?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I figured what the Kochs were doing while the John Birch Society people were essentially kept out of the party by William F. Buckley was establishing lots of think tanks (like CATO) and legislation-crafting organizations so they could essentially move the Overton Window of political discourse towards the Right without having to directly sponsor candidates or be too overt. Then when Reagan got elected, they used their amassed groundwork to take control of the GOP and push the conversation even further rightward.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
WaPo is running a story focusing on the oft-discussed-but-not-in-the-media Rand Paul's pet ophthalmology certification board.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

WaPo is running a story focusing on the oft-discussed-but-not-in-the-media Rand Paul's pet ophthalmology certification board.

This is a loving pro-click.

quote:

The digital face of Paul’s group, natboardoph.org, also did not inspire confidence. “NBO formed as reaction to discriminatory recertification policy of the American Board of Ophthalmology,” it proclaimed on its front page (leaving out an “a” and a “the”), according to an archived copy from 2007.

Oddly, Paul also listed his address incorrectly in one filing with the state.

In 2009, he signed the board’s annual report that said he, his wife and father-in-law resided at a house in Portsmouth, Ohio. But Paul lived in Bowling Green, as he does now. The occupant of the Ohio house at that time — a local pro wrestler and wrestling promoter named Dirk “Extreme” Cunningham — said in a phone interview that he’d never met Paul, and had no connection to the board.

Is Cunningham an ophthalmologist?

“No,” said the wrestler. “Wish I was.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh my god that last paragraph needs to be a thread title somehow.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The optomolagy board thing is amusing, but not damning. I would be annoyed if, say, the state board exempted older tax preparers from their CEs. But I'm lazy and not a self-starter and wouldn't form my own board.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Well, the newest "If Obummer is fer it, I'm agin it" hilarity is starting to unfold.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/02/02/christie-breaks-with-obama-over-measles-vaccine-calls-for-balance/

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
like even if you are all about rich people staying rich there's plenty of room for you in the democratic party. what convinces people to run under the banner of a party that says "i support your right to be pants-on-head retarded to the detriment of others"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: wow, I don't know how that happened. My phone didn't list the 4 pages that elapsed since the quote I was replying to.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 2, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There is a pay walled article in the WSJ Journal today with a lot of interesting information about Hillary's advisers and campaign apparatus.

She's getting economic policy advice from Joseph Stiglitz, a guy from Third Way, a former Vice-Chairman of Goldman Sachs, a Princeton Labor Economist, and Paul Volker:

quote:

Mr. Volcker, the architect of the “Volcker Rule,” a regulatory measure barring banks from making risky bets with their own money; Jonathan Cowan, co-founder of the centrist think tank Third Way, which has been critical of some of the populist rhetoric coming from the Democrats’ liberal wing; and Alan Blinder , a Princeton professor and former Fed vice chairman and economics adviser to Mr. Clinton.
Also at the meeting, according to people familiar with it, were Robert Hormats, who worked in the State Department during Mrs. Clinton’s tenure and was a former vice chairman of Goldman Sachs; Richard Ravitch , a former Democratic lieutenant governor in New York, who helped New York City avert bankruptcy during a fiscal crisis in the 1970s; and Teresa Ghilarducci, a labor economist and proponent of ideas to shore up Americans’ retirement savings. The Clinton team has asked her to help evaluate various policy ideas.

The participants examined a range of ideas to boost economic security, such as tax cuts for the middle class, expanded access to prekindergarten education and new ways to pay for improvements to roads and tunnels, said people familiar with the session.

“One major focus of the meeting was the miserable recent performance of wages in general and middle-class wages in particular, and what if anything the government can do about that,” said Mr. Blinder.

Her economic platform is going to be

quote:

Policies that raise the wages and living standards of the middle class and working poor, address their economic anxieties, and make sluggish wage growth and middle-class prosperity a central focus without sounding like a combative populist or demonizing high-income groups.

She's keeping a couple advisers from her 2008 run, but most of her top team is going to be Obama people.

quote:

Mrs. Clinton has also spoken to trusted Democratic confidants about appointments to high-level positions in her campaign, should she decide to run.
A campaign apparatus is already taking shape. John Podesta, a senior adviser to President Barack Obama, is likely to become a senior adviser to the campaign, while two Obama campaign veterans, pollster Joel Benenson and media adviser Jim Margolis, are expected to take top positions on Mrs. Clinton’s campaign team, people familiar with the matter said.

She's seeking foreign policy advice from:

quote:

Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, who worked under both Republican presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush; David Rothkopf, author of a new book on foreign policy-making in the George W. Bush and Obama administrations; and Dennis Ross, a diplomat with many years of experience in the Middle East peace negotiations.

Pretty much what was expected here: Liberal interventionists, centrists, and people with experience in diplomacy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 2, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's keeping a couple advisers from her 2008 run, but most of her top team is going to be Obama people.
So no official Mark Penn involvement yet?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Orly Taitz was right! Obama is a secret Al Qaeda sleeper who has tricked americans into murdering their own children using reverse psychology.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

If the ownership trend line continues unbroken, guns guns guns is going to be an albatross in a few cycles.

Could you elaborate?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Family Values posted:

Could you elaborate?

He's alluding to the fact that gun ownership rates have been going down, even though total gun purchases has gone up. Basically, fewer people are gun owners, but modern gun owners buy significantly more guns than before.

I think he's wrong, because gun owners are already a minority, but the main difference is intensity. Gun owners are overwhelmingly obsessed with the issue of guns and donate a lot of money, time, and votes to their issue. Non-gun owners are not nearly as unanimous in their position on guns and in general are significantly less passionate about it. The gun lobby is also much better funded and organized than the anti-gun lobby.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Family Values posted:

Could you elaborate?

Gun ownership is going down but gun proliferation is going up, meaning fewer people own guns but the ones that do own more of them. It looks good for sales but it means fewer people will be receptive to the guns guns guns message.

E: pistolwhipped.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Incidentally a lot of the extra guns being bought are just being hoarded, while the guns already in ownership are often quite neglected and even unusable without extensive restoration.

It's kinda like keeping track of passenger vehicle ownership in the US and making sure to count every rusted out hulk or perpetually immobile garage "restoration" project that hasn't been registered or legal to drive in 10 years.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FMguru posted:

And the problem of underfunded pensions is rather small when you compare it to the 401k shortfall. Between "contribution smoothing" where companies haven't paid into them for years (and the shortfall from that thanks to compound interest), underperformance compared to the pensions they were supposed to be superior to, an industry full of leeching payments divorced from performance, and the well established macro conditions of a rising cost of living we are looking at a real problem in the years to come. Abolishing elderly poverty was a great accomplishment and is as central to the American economy as the 40 hour work week. It's return is going to upend a hell of a lot and change the dynamic. At a minimum you are going to see families supporting grandparents which will decrease their purchasing power, and see a lot of frustration about that.

Neeksy posted:

I figured what the Kochs were doing while the John Birch Society people were essentially kept out of the party by William F. Buckley was establishing lots of think tanks (like CATO) and legislation-crafting organizations so they could essentially move the Overton Window of political discourse towards the Right without having to directly sponsor candidates or be too overt. Then when Reagan got elected, they used their amassed groundwork to take control of the GOP and push the conversation even further rightward.

That is literally exactly what happened. Look up the Powell memo and what followed. There is very much a planned out an executed path for reshaping America that the rich have been following for decades and it has been highly effective in achieving their ends

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lindsey Graham, on Face the Nation this morning, said essentially the same thing. Apparently ignoring that Obama's strategy is working and demanding a Third Iraq War is going to be a non-trivial thing, at least during the preliminary GOP primary scuffling.

So did Robert Gates on MTP, but he said that his definition of "boots on the ground" didn't mean a full scale invasion. More like a a few hundred troops and some spec ops. he definitely didn't seem to care for Obama.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Incidentally a lot of the extra guns being bought are just being hoarded, while the guns already in ownership are often quite neglected and even unusable without extensive restoration.

It's kinda like keeping track of passenger vehicle ownership in the US and making sure to count every rusted out hulk or perpetually immobile garage "restoration" project that hasn't been registered or legal to drive in 10 years.

Guns are much more durable than cars. Consider that a Smith and Wesson revolver from the same time period as the Model T is likely to still be functional without maintenance of any kind.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

So did Robert Gates on MTP, but he said that his definition of "boots on the ground" didn't mean a full scale invasion. More like a a few hundred troops and some spec ops. he definitely didn't seem to care for Obama.

Graham said "about ten thousand," so he at least is talking a substantial ground presence which I'm sure would never ever grow or experience mission creep, and certainly wouldn't have us directly entangled in middle east warfare for another loving decade or anything.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

There is a pay walled article in the WSJ Journal today with a lot of interesting information about Hillary's advisers and campaign apparatus.

Pretty much what was expected here: Liberal interventionists, centrists, and people with experience in diplomacy.

The foreign policy circle is groan-worthy, but I actually like Alan Blinder. He's a decent, humane Keynesian liberal. I'm to his left, but he writes intelligently and has no patience for free market fundamentalism.

See this essay in the New York Review: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/18/whats-matter-economics/

Blinder posted:

The EMH also handed conservative regulators (such as Alan Greenspan) and conservative politicians (such as George W. Bush) a rationale for minimal financial regulation. After all, if super-smart markets get everything right, regulators can only mess things up. So, for example, as Madrick perceptively states, “under the thrall of efficient markets thinking, derivatives went unregulated, and that was a major cause of the 2008 crash.” Amen. I suggest in my book After the Music Stopped that the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which banned the regulation of derivatives, was probably the most egregious policy error leading up to the financial crisis.

In other Democratic primary news, O'Malley has an op-ed in the New York Times today on East Coat drilling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/opinion/dont-drill-along-the-east-coast.html?ref=opinion

Somewhat bland but likeable former Maryland Governor posted:

Expanding offshore drilling is irreconcilable with the realities of climate science and irrelevant, at best, to taking advantage of the vast economic opportunities clean energy presents.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"He never stopped trying", said Jesse Benton of the guy who let his revolutionary medical board get dissolved twice because he didn't feel like filling out forms.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Guns are much more durable than cars. Consider that a Smith and Wesson revolver from the same time period as the Model T is likely to still be functional without maintenance of any kind.

Yeah but last I checked the methodology on things like "300 million guns in the US" tries to count things like a civil war relic weapon that was last maintained before McKinley went down, or some weird gun grandpappy jones lifted off a dead Japanese soldier on a beach. It's not stuff anyone will actually shoot any time soon.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah but last I checked the methodology on things like "300 million guns in the US" tries to count things like a civil war relic weapon that was last maintained before McKinley went down, or some weird gun grandpappy jones lifted off a dead Japanese soldier on a beach. It's not stuff anyone will actually shoot any time soon.

Probably so but with annual production at several million, all antique firearms will be a drop in the bucket soon enough.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Nintendo Kid posted:

Technically, it is entirely possible the musket great-13th grandpappy mugged a british soldier for while he was pissing against a wall behind a tavern, might fire. We really need to have it x-rayed to see if it's still safe, I think. It's in good shape. We used to shoot it once a year till the late 70s.

I mean, it'll fire, we're just concerned about the barrel maybe bursting.

Grandpa's WWII weapons are, er, _certainly_ in perfectly good working condition.

Heck, friend of mine found one that'd been in a box for fifty years exposed to the Texas elements. Works fine.

He even recovered a whole bunch that'd been in a barn fire and then hosed down. He's got a good amount of them working again.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 3, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

He's alluding to the fact that gun ownership rates have been going down, even though total gun purchases has gone up. Basically, fewer people are gun owners, but modern gun owners buy significantly more guns than before.

I think he's wrong, because gun owners are already a minority, but the main difference is intensity. Gun owners are overwhelmingly obsessed with the issue of guns and donate a lot of money, time, and votes to their issue. Non-gun owners are not nearly as unanimous in their position on guns and in general are significantly less passionate about it. The gun lobby is also much better funded and organized than the anti-gun lobby.

They're a minority but they're still a sizable minority. I think it's something like 30-35% of households. That's still a hell of a lot of voters, especially in primaries and special elections. We probably need to get down into the mid 20s or so drop before they reach the level where their idiocy outweighs their voting value. Which it's quite possible is either still far in the future or below the threshold of 'Merican values. Of course there's also the possibility that the percentage of gun owners who aren't loving idiots will simultaneously rise as overall ownership falls, accelerating the tipping point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warcabbit posted:

Technically, it is entirely possible the musket great-13th grandpappy mugged a british soldier for while he was pissing against a wall behind a tavern, might fire. We really need to have it x-rayed to see if it's still safe, I think. It's in good shape. We used to shoot it once a year till the late 70s.

I mean, it'll fire, we're just concerned about the barrel maybe bursting.

Grandpa's WWII weapons are, er, _certainly_ in perfectly good working condition.

Heck, friend of mine found one that'd been in a box for fifty years exposed to the Texas elements. Works fine.

He even recovered a whole bunch that'd been in a barn fire and then hosed down. He's got a good amount of them working again.

And so you think that all those millions of thoroughly obsolete guns are in fact gonna be restored and used anytime soon? Because if you don't, you're missing the point: that counting them just serves to build up a Scary Number with no bearing on actual usage, just as you could easily count Americans as owning dozens of millions more cars if you start counting vehicles that haven't moved in decades or are permanently "being worked on" and not drivable.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Right. Wandering into gunchat. Dropping the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So this just happened:

Edit: Context!

Board Certified(?) Sen. Rand Paul posted:

I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking, normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread