Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Obligatory "bet that made a noise" comment

That has to be some kind of casting defect or something right? I can't imagine that being the weakest point in the whole linkage involved in lifting the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Was fiddling with my brakes on the MJ today and found this. Looks like I have a project for this week.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Naw, now you can get a bunch of axle flex without having to detach your sway bars :v:

which, I suspect, is how that happened in the first place. gently caress POs, etc...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Poor Durango, only 62,100 miles :staredog:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, there's people that like the vulcan :psyduck:

Not "like", but having had a few Vulcans in the family to me they're boring but durable. If I was buying one of the vehicles it shipped in I'd probably be looking for 4.0s, but I wouldn't complain about a 3.0 in a Ranger since my last one was just fine. The Aerostar was a bit big for it, but it still did OK.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Preoptopus posted:

Obligatory "driver pooped pants from loud noise" comment.

I really want to know how much of a load it takes to break something like that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

torpedan posted:

Obligatory "driver pooped pants from loud noise" comment.

I really want to know how much of a load it takes to break something like that.

All of it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Funny you say that... the first thing I saw in the picture was the horn sticking up over the wheel. But that snap must have been pretty epic to... well, not hear anything else for the next few minutes maybe.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Horrible tire failure?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

PitViper posted:

Horrible tire failure?

Failure due to driver ignorance/neglect would be more accurate. Driving on a flat or severely under-inflated tire is typically how you get a pile of shredded rubber like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yup, when you see tires squished flat due to underinflation, the tire rubber is rubbing against itself, wearing away like you see there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

That is way past my "gently caress it, it is a durango and has hauled enough groceries" limit, jesus christ.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
$9000 shop ticket? That's Rover territory. Ouch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

That's a couple new cars for me.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

I could finish at least two of my projects with that much money.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Root Bear posted:

Failure due to driver ignorance/neglect would be more accurate. Driving on a flat or severely under-inflated tire is typically how you get a pile of shredded rubber like that.

Not just shredded rubber! After driving on it flat long enough to cause that, they filled it with fix-a-flat in an attempt to drive it some more! That was a fun find when we popped the bead. That was just the biggest brick we pulled out, there was plenty more. And yes, we get plenty of driver neglect cases.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CommieGIR posted:

That's more than the last four cars I've bought.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

It's about nine Durangos.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PitViper posted:

Not just shredded rubber! After driving on it flat long enough to cause that, they filled it with fix-a-flat in an attempt to drive it some more! That was a fun find when we popped the bead. That was just the biggest brick we pulled out, there was plenty more. And yes, we get plenty of driver neglect cases.

gently caress that stuff forever. It never actually does what it says on the tin, just makes tire guys hate their job. There's only one type of product in that vein I've seen that actually works- Shur-Seal (and its competitors) for industrial off-road tires, and it's so thick and goopy that it's impossible to get through a valve stem and it would throw the balance of a passenger tire off so far it would be dangerous to drive on a highway with it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Recommended Parts/Labor: 0.00 / 0.00

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Tommychu posted:

gently caress that stuff forever. It never actually does what it says on the tin, just makes tire guys hate their job. There's only one type of product in that vein I've seen that actually works- Shur-Seal (and its competitors) for industrial off-road tires, and it's so thick and goopy that it's impossible to get through a valve stem and it would throw the balance of a passenger tire off so far it would be dangerous to drive on a highway with it.

That green slime poo poo works well on tractor tires

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I need an adult :gonk:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Just take it out back and tell it about the rabbits, goddamn.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Man, the missing wheel cover and the clingwrap and tape window fix really sell this picture.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

degrease and dye, pull it around, wash your bay.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And these guys droppped off for an alignment, complaint is it pulls apparently.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Hmm wonder why its pulling.. just an alignment pleas..... what do you mean I need other repairs... you guys cant just do the alignment to make it work right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how the license plate has a sympathy lean in the other direction.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Just turning Japanese

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It almost looks like the front axle housing is bent, assuming that is a straight axle one.

That requires a gratuitous amount of airtime to accomplish.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I would like to nominate the PT Cruiser as the worst car of all time. It literally has no redeeming characteristics, nor does it accomplish anything well.

It has a fairly large inline four, but only large enough to give it poor fuel economy for a vehicle of it's size. It accelerates slowly, does not handle well, and stops poorly. The ride is somehow both sloppy and rough. It is woefully unreliable, and also difficult to service. It is a wagon, but cargo room is basically nonexistent. It's styling was polarizing, and it was more expensive than the Neon it was cobbled together from (which was actually probably a wiser purchase.) It fairs poorly in crash tests.

The car literally did nothing well, and Chrysler sold a boatload of them. Americans are dumb as hell.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
They're a good donor for 2.4 turbo drivetrains.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

You lead a very interesting life.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

The best part about my shop is my boss refuses all p.t cruisers. Last one in the shop got a timing belt water pump and heater core. My boss begged the customer to get a radiator. Costumer refuses. Calls my boss aweek later saying the rad failed..... gently caress Chrysler

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Melted Tarp posted:

I would like to nominate the PT Cruiser as the worst car of all time. It literally has no redeeming characteristics, nor does it accomplish anything well.

It has a fairly large inline four, but only large enough to give it poor fuel economy for a vehicle of it's size. It accelerates slowly, does not handle well, and stops poorly. The ride is somehow both sloppy and rough. It is woefully unreliable, and also difficult to service. It is a wagon, but cargo room is basically nonexistent. It's styling was polarizing, and it was more expensive than the Neon it was cobbled together from (which was actually probably a wiser purchase.) It fairs poorly in crash tests.

The car literally did nothing well, and Chrysler sold a boatload of them. Americans are dumb as hell.

Your own post proves you wrong. It can't possibly be the worst car of all time (and neither can any soviet disasterpiece or any VAG fuckery) because it sold units. It was designed as a product intended to sell for money. It's job was to sell by the truckload, and it did.

Americans are the worst car buyers of all time? That seems more appropriate.

The worst car of all time is those citroen wankel engine thingies that the company deliberately hunted down, bought back from the owners and crushed out of sheer shame.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Horse Divorce posted:

You lead a very interesting life.

Chain shops get to deal with the absolute worst tier of car owners. Ask me how I know.

(I once worked on a truck owned by the former store manager (so he had some experience with car maintenance) where every component of the front end was so loose, I told the sales writer that I wouldn't touch any of it unless they replaced everything. Guess what the owner did?)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

Chain shops get to deal with the absolute worst tier of car owners. Ask me how I know.

(I once worked on a truck owned by the former store manager (so he had some experience with car maintenance) where every component of the front end was so loose, I told the sales writer that I wouldn't touch any of it unless they replaced everything. Guess what the owner did?)

Its the free inspection that fucks everyone.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's actually worse than free, we get paid 0.4 hours to raise the car and do a simple rotation. The customer pays like $15 I think.

OR

for $9.99 you can get our complete vehicle inspection, which includes a full brake and suspension inspection, battery test, and a complimentary tire rotation included with services since the wheels are off anyways.

For which I get paid 0.3 hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does anyone in the US ever bother to get a job working on cars? Seriously. The whole system sounds unbelievably dysfunctional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I wonder that myself after watching my old man do it for almost 40 years now. The only two pieces of advice he ever gave me were "Don't stick your dick in the crazy" and "Don't be a loving mechanic."