Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ulvir posted:

should I go with Name of the Rose or History of the Siege of Lisbon next, real lit thread?

Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Thomas Bernhard's books are supposed to be funny, right? Some guy I was talking to said he didn't like his stuff because it was too depressing. Then he looked at me really weirdly when I said I thought that's why they're funny.

Who else is similar to Bernhard? I like books that are just one long insane rant with no punctuation.

Bernhard is hilarious & you might be interested Céline, maybe his Voyage au bout de la nuit/Journey to the End of the Night.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

Maeve Peake wrote another one which was published a year or so back, the title was Titus something.

A fourth book? Man, the marketing for that must have been pretty low-key, I completely missed that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Boatswain posted:

Bernhard is hilarious & you might be interested Céline, maybe his Voyage au bout de la nuit/Journey to the End of the Night.

William Gaddis' final book Agapé Agape is HEAVILY inspired by Bernhard, and the rest of his books have that sort of rushing whirl of thoughts crowding in oppressively close.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Ras Het posted:

I think Borges is garbage and am not a 16yo deeply impressed by a book mentioning Shah Babur?

Oh man way to stick it to those dumb Borges reading teenagers.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Libluini posted:

A fourth book? Man, the marketing for that must have been pretty low-key, I completely missed that.

Titus Awakes by Maeve Gilmore, Peake's wife. Very loosely based on some notes he left. It's not really a Gormenghast book at all.

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 1, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Oh man way to stick it to those dumb Borges reading teenagers.

Don't patronise teens.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mousepractice posted:

Titus Awakes by Maeve Gilmore, Peake's wife. Very loosely based on some notes he left. It's not really a Gormenghast book at all.

Eh, I remember the title from a description of his notes I've read years ago and it's his wife, so close enough. Added to my reading list.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

langurmonkey posted:

I think Foucaults Pendulum is the best Eco book if you want to check him out.
Agreed, but The Name of the Rose is a probably better introduction to Eco. I think FP is fantastic and it gets better with each re-read, but I go back and forth on which I like more.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i'll keep foucaults pendulum in mind for later. i asked about the two books because those are the ones i own that i haven't read yet (there are others too, but i don't own fp). i'm 2/3 through history of the siege of lisbon atm and i gotta say its a p good book so far and is deffo worth a read (to the guy that told me to read it before him)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Many thanks for your review.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I am reading Tristram Shandy still and his nose has been crushed by the forceps being used to deliver him and it;s definitely his nose, he's made it very clear that it's his nose that was crushed by forceps and his father's taking it very badly because of the family shame of having small noses.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I am finding it very relateable because I too have an almost pathetically small nose.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

So what does this thread think of the recent news about Harper Lee's 'new' novel?

Currently a bit of a debate is going on as to whether it's done completely with her consent. Depends really if you believe the people who are publishing it to be honest.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/04/harper-lee-excited-about-new-book-agent

vs

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/02/the-tragedy-of-harper-lee/385132/

E: Sounds like I probably won't read it anyway; I love To Kill A Mockingbird but I can't see much appeal in reading the unfinished first attempt by a juvenile novelist who later went on to write something good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
After such successes as Juneteenth and Neon Bible how could this be anything but a great read

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It probably qualifies for this thread, but I just finished Blood Meridian and holy gently caress did I love it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nothing else McCarthy has written is quite as good as Blood Meridian, but Suttree is really drat close, if you haven't read that yet. It's also about the closest thing we'll ever get to an autobiography.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I've got a fondness for Child of God. Short and sweet and a bit of a breeze compared to his other stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Not sure if I would call it his greatest but I think his best is The Crossing.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
I just read that after almost 60 years they are finally going to publish an English translation of De Avonden (The Evenings) by Gerard Reve. I encourage everyone to read it, though it probably will do nothing for a good amount of readers. In Dutch, it's also always been a book that divided opinion sharply. I think it's one of the most beautiful books ever, but I wouldn't be able to begin translating Reve's style...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

One thing I've noticed while reading translations is that a lot of translators don't seem to put any trust in the reader. I'm working through a novel by Mario Vargas Llosa right now and every time there's an unfamiliar Peruvian phrase or location, there's always some narrative detour explaining what it is. Some people probably appreciate that, but personally it feels really jarring, since it usually interrupts the flow of the prose (and 90% of the time it's really easy to figure out what is being said based on context clues anyway).

Maybe it's just a part of the author's style, but it crops up so much in other translated works I've read that I highly doubt it. It really sucks when some beautiful prose or melodious phrasing gets interrupted by a mini Wikipedia article.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

One thing I've noticed while reading translations is that a lot of translators don't seem to put any trust in the reader. I'm working through a novel by Mario Vargas Llosa right now and every time there's an unfamiliar Peruvian phrase or location, there's always some narrative detour explaining what it is. Some people probably appreciate that, but personally it feels really jarring, since it usually interrupts the flow of the prose (and 90% of the time it's really easy to figure out what is being said based on context clues anyway).

Maybe it's just a part of the author's style, but it crops up so much in other translated works I've read that I highly doubt it. It really sucks when some beautiful prose or melodious phrasing gets interrupted by a mini Wikipedia article.

And sometimes translators put too much trust in the reader. I remember as especially funny the off-hand remark of Iwan Jefremov in one of his books about spaceflight where it claims someone got his good reputation by slaying vermin like sharks and vampires. At this point I would have liked to know if the original Russian also talks about vampires or if the original Russian meant vampire bats and the translator just fell asleep at the wheel here.

Maybe something like a little footnote explaining what the hell

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
And sometimes the translators leave a word untranslated for no reason I can discern like: "In the evening when the wind had dropped a little, they went out on the groyne [pier] to see the steamer come in." (Nabakov, The Lady with the Dog). They're even both one-syllable words, so it's not like just saying "pier" would change the rhythm, certainly not as much as sticking an annotation in did.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle

Antwan3K posted:

I just read that after almost 60 years they are finally going to publish an English translation of De Avonden (The Evenings) by Gerard Reve. I encourage everyone to read it, though it probably will do nothing for a good amount of readers. In Dutch, it's also always been a book that divided opinion sharply. I think it's one of the most beautiful books ever, but I wouldn't be able to begin translating Reve's style...

Gimme a bit more about this one! I want to read a cool book.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

translators note: ureshii means happy

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

all according to keikaku

AngusPodgorny posted:

And sometimes the translators leave a word untranslated for no reason I can discern like: "In the evening when the wind had dropped a little, they went out on the groyne [pier] to see the steamer come in." (Nabakov, The Lady with the Dog). They're even both one-syllable words, so it's not like just saying "pier" would change the rhythm, certainly not as much as sticking an annotation in did.

That's not even untranslated. "Groyne" is a perfectly good English word. Footnotes are the best for stuff like this. gently caress endnotes though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

House Louse posted:

That's not even untranslated. "Groyne" is a perfectly good English word. Footnotes are the best for stuff like this. gently caress endnotes though.

It's not exactly a pier though, that's a very loose gloss.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Thanks to the translator, I've learned what a groyne is and how it's different from a pier or seawall. Now I will be able to more effectively make double entendres when I'm at the beach.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Oh Mister B posted:

Gimme a bit more about this one! I want to read a cool book.

It's about a young man living with his parents in Amsterdam just after World War Two. A lot of people hate it because it's "a book about nothing", though it's clearly the young Reve touching on stuff he would make ultra explicit later on (kind of a weird combination of coming out as gay and taking about that all the time while simultaneously becoming a hardcore reactionary Catholic)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

If you don't read every book in the original language then you can't post in this thread I';m sorry.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I read Sverre Lyngstad's translation of Knut Hamsun's Hunger and not only is the translation awesome, but Lyngstad has a long appendix in the back with notes on the translation, comparisons of his translations with older, worse ones, and thoughts on translations of literature in general. Peep it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read A Canticle for Leibowitz the other day and it was really good. Does that count as classic literature? Probably not but whatever.

Also I always enjoyed Shakespeare but it didn't click how great he really was till I watched Kennenth Branagh's production of Hamlet.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 12, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It is amazing how many schools never provide any kind of access to an actual stage version of Shakespeare's stuff, even if it's just a film. I was lucky enough to go to a high school that let the AP English classes go see a live performance as a field trip, but it sounds like that's incredibly rare. In my experience most people don't "get" Shakespeare until they've seen it performed - just reading it like it was a novel is probably the worst possible way to approach those texts.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It doesn't help that the way the plays are read and studied is often horrendous. I'd go a step further and say the best way to teach Shakespeare is to have people act it, at least initially. Really helps get some of those subtexts and themes to jump out.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Most plays should be seen and not read to get the full effect. The exceptions are like chamber plays or something like goethe's faust. and Eugene o neil plays.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am no longer putting it off, I am going to read my copy of kokoro

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

did i post this image here or was it /lit/ or tumblr or somewhere else?

wtf I feel like I am 4 and just sat down at the table at applebees

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

at what point did the thread title change?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

at what point did the thread title change?

Title? Change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Most plays should be seen and not read to get the full effect. The exceptions are like chamber plays or something like goethe's faust. and Eugene o neil plays.

Counterpoint I really enjoyed a production of Strange Interlude but I can't get 10 pages into my edition of The Iceman Cometh

e: this thread's always been called such. The guy might be thinking of the similar thread called "No-Genre Megathread" or summat, but that died a death, lacking the constant influx of fresh blood coming in to yell at the OP for being a snob.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 14, 2015