Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She's not a highlight by any means, but I struggle to conjure any negative emotions about her performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Thats no the reason to excuse her. Maybe the difficulty of Dany's role is a 8, compare to let's say a 10 for Theon's role, or Jaime's role, but Emilia Clarke only brought the performance of a 2 to the table. COMEH WITH ME IF YOU WANTTA WHERE R MAH DRRAGOONNS?!?

I'm not saying that she does a good job or anything, but I just feel like no matter who played that role there'd be a lot of people who would dislike it because she basically has to be someone who feels like a naive girl who had no idea what she's doing but also a member of a royal lineage who has conquered three cities and has thousands of soldiers at her disposal.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I don't think she's as bad as people claim but some other actors on the show completely overshadow her in talent such as Alfie Allen, he's so good at portraying Theon that she looks pretty awful in comparison when portraying Dany.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

CelestialScribe posted:

Really? Are there any reviews around?

Top results googling Emilia Clark Breakfast At Tiffany's review, NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/theater/reviews/breakfast-at-tiffanys-starring-emilia-clarke.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

quote:

Instead Ms. Clarke comes across as an under-age debutante trying very, very hard to pass for a sophisticated grown-up

:drat:

It ended up getting cancelled after only 1/3 of its bookings

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

quote:

Instead Ms. Clarke comes across as an under-age debutante trying very, very hard to pass for a sophisticated grown-up

Isn't this more or less Dany though? Clarke is perfect casting.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Haha, that's why I said it was the same acting.

All the other reviews just use the more PC way of saying bad actor and say the entire role was miscast

quote:

Part of that is due to the miscasting of Clarke

quote:

The newly single actress made her Broadway debut on Wednesday night - and the reviews were far from complimentary.

Emilia, making her first public appearance since her split from boyfriend Seth MacFarlane, was variously described as 'miscast' and 'lacking sparkle' in her leading role as Breakfast At Tiffany's Holly Golightly.

One from dailymail (a rag) the other from hollywoodreporter (legitimate theater reviewer)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Re actingchat, I'm really gonna miss Jack Gleeson and Charles Dance :sigh:

e: also Rory McCann. I think the only really excellent actor on the show whose character isn't finished is Peter Dinklage.
e2: I love Maisie Williams' Arya of course but I dunno if I'd call it "great" necessarily like all of the above are
e3: while I'm overthinking this I'm clearly not giving Lena Headey enough credit, she's great too okay I'm done now

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 1, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Isn't the doc from B5 joining the cast? We've got plenty more good actors on the way.

e: DS9, not B5. Whatever they're the same show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He could've played a wight, I guess.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

loquacius posted:

e3: while I'm overthinking this I'm clearly not giving Lena Headey enough credit, she's great too okay I'm done now

I remember very early threads where people bitched about her acting. Frankly, Lena owns the role, and I can't wait to see how she handles the walk of shame. Done right, it'll perfectly split the viewership: half will feel sorry for her, and half will be glad to see her character get at least a little of what she deserves.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable online outrage regarding that scene. lovely articles and shittier arguments about it will probably show up for weeks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

3Romeo posted:

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable online outrage regarding that scene. lovely articles and shittier arguments about it will probably show up for weeks.

I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to people comparing Cersei's nude walk with the feminist cause du jour.

:byodood: : "This scene is representative of women's struggles to attain fair representation in the Doctor Who universe!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mortabis posted:

Isn't the doc from B5 joining the cast? We've got plenty more good actors on the way.

e: DS9, not B5. Whatever they're the same show.

Huh, didn't know he was cast. With all the bits of being hobbled by gout I always pictured him a bit bigger than Siddig's 150lbs. Though it's great casting and he's probably one of the only working actor's whose real name is longer than any character's on the show.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

loquacius posted:

e: also Rory McCann. I think the only really excellent actor on the show whose character isn't finished is Peter Dinklage.
e2: I love Maisie Williams' Arya of course but I dunno if I'd call it "great" necessarily like all of the above are

Both Caesar and Brutus are still in the show. Although Mance Rayder is definitely miscasted. I was thinking someone like Mel Gibson is his prime.

My favorite actors that are still alive in the show are Theon and The Onion Knight. Jorah Mormont is good too. I hope HBO make up some stuff for him to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm porbably one of the few people who really enjoy Tyrion's journey in DwD, except Penny and "Where do whores go?", and Penny I can forgive. I want to smack anyone who seriously thinks "where do whores go?" as some kind of great mystery, and not some flippant comment made my Tywin.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

3Romeo posted:

I'd prefer that over the inevitable "phwoar best punishment ever, hopefully <actress x> gets the same treatment" comments that you just know have been typed one-handed with a freeze-frame on the other monitor.

We've already had a bunch of "gently caress yeah can't wait to see Lena Headey's tits this year" posts in here, and I really doubt they'll be the last!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Man, I can't imagine what it must be like to get upset about people expressing interest in seeing an attractive woman's tits. You must be in a state of perpetual anguish. I feel for you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

webmeister posted:

We've already had a bunch of "gently caress yeah can't wait to see Lena Headey's tits this year" posts in here, and I really doubt they'll be the last!

I read somewhere that they used a double for that scene, and that her breasts aren't shown and her rear end is actually her double's. I may be wrong though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

whatever7 posted:

My favorite actors that are still alive in the show are Theon and The Onion Knight. Jorah Mormont is good too. I hope HBO make up some stuff for him to do.

I love Theon. The Moat Cailin scene where he starts to regress back to Reek-mode after the commander turns down his offer, and then pulls it together when the commander is murdered and he's told they will surrender the fort is probably the best acting in the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlgIjf2jdg

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 2, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's not like it's even gonna be sexy scene, you can watch some of Headey's movies instead.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

webmeister posted:

I'd prefer that over the inevitable "phwoar best punishment ever, hopefully <actress x> gets the same treatment" comments that you just know have been typed one-handed with a freeze-frame on the other monitor.

Anyone who cares that much about seeing her tits only has to watch 300.

Lycus posted:

It's not like it's even gonna be sexy scene, you can watch some of Headey's movies instead.

My thoughts exactly. This scene is not supposed to be sexy in any way. Its a walk of shame, meant to be highly humiliating for Cersei and I hope it will have been filmed as such. I want to see Cersei's pain and humiliation every step of the way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Part of the point of the scene is to show that Cersei isn't still the sexy minx that she's convinced everyone she is. If they do their job right there'll be ample sag and cellulite.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Midnight City posted:

This really lets you know just how much an Emmy nomination really is just popularity contest because she managed to get laughed off Broadway and an Emmy nom in the same year for doing the same bad acting in both.

The female costar of "Theory of everything" kind of looks like Emilia Clarke, at least in that film. Maybe they can pull another even more daring switcheroo.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm more excited to see Robert Strong than Cersei's walk. I hope the show will finally advance that plotline and we'll get the trial, because the books stalled Cersei's story and I want to see Qyburn's creation in action.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm more excited to see Robert Strong than Cersei's walk. I hope the show will finally advance that plotline and we'll get the trial, because the books stalled Cersei's story and I want to see Qyburn's creation in action.

The books stalled everybody's story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Part of the point of the scene is to show that Cersei isn't still the sexy minx that she's convinced everyone she is. If they do their job right there'll be ample sag and cellulite.

I really, really doubt we will actually see sag and cellulite.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Man, I can't imagine what it must be like to get upset about people expressing interest in seeing an attractive woman's tits. You must be in a state of perpetual anguish. I feel for you.

Well, it's not as simple as that, obviously. Women are naked all the time in this show.

Irish Joe posted:

I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to people comparing Cersei's nude walk with the feminist cause du jour.

:byodood: : "This scene is representative of women's struggles to attain fair representation in the Doctor Who universe!"

Oh, come on. That scene is going to be hugely divisive and why shouldn't it be? It's a gendered punishment that's reliant on shaming Cersei by displaying her slightly-aged body. Of course I think that it makes sense in context and that as a punishment it doesn't do it's job at all and that Cersei, despite acting docile in the epilogue of ADWD, is probably more resolute than ever in her quest to get vengeance to those who have done wrong to her (as evidenced by her reaction to "Ser Robert Strong" at the end of her final chapter), but that doesn't mean everyone does or should feel that way.

enraged_camel posted:

I love Theon. The Moat Cailin scene where he starts to regress back to Reek-mode after the commander turns down his offer, and then pulls it together when the commander is murdered and he's told they will surrender the fort is probably the best acting in the entire show.

That is a really good scene. They did a pretty good job of making something very hard to film, film-able. I think that Theon's story will probably end up being really good, despite probably not reaching the highs of the book. Which would be hard to do, I think, since the Theon chapters in ADWD are probably some of GRRM's best work in the entire series. Alfie Allen does a pretty good job of making what was previously known through Theon's inner-monologue apparent in just his body language.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zedd posted:

While I think her acting leaves a lot to be desired (outside of s1, most of s2 and Valarian gibberish ) I don't think she is as downright awful as most people really. Its corny but serviceable now actingwise.

You know you just said you like Emilia Clarke's acting when she gets her tits out, right?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

enraged_camel posted:

I will forgive this show of every flaw, minor and major, as long as they nail:

quote:

The night was windless, the snow drifting straight down out of a cold black sky, yet the leaves of the heart tree were rustling his name. “Theon,” they seemed to whisper, “Theon.” The old gods, he thought. They know me. They know my name. I was Theon of House Greyjoy. I was a ward of Eddard Stark, a friend and brother to his children. “Please.” He fell to his knees. “A sword, that’s all I ask. Let me die as Theon, not as Reek.” Tears trickled down his cheeks, impossibly warm. “I was ironborn. A son … a son of Pyke, of the islands.”

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Theon's ADWD arc is undoubtedly the best writing in the series. In terms of the show's adaption, my dream would be a bottle episode sometime this season set entirely in Winterfell that captures the tension of being trapped by a blizzard and Stannis' approaching army, as the different northern factions barely keeping the peace, and a murderer walks among them. You basically have all the most interesting characters locked in a building with each other; there is gold there.

Basically, give me the Game of Thrones edition of "Midnight", the best episode of Doctor Who.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Though I think it doesn't look like Wyman's gonna be in the show, and that wouldn't be as good without him.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

In It For The Tank posted:

You'll probably have to wait a year more for that, though.

loquacius posted:

Carice is great. Sophie and Gwendoline are also great. And I'm looking forward to what Indira Varma does with Ellaria this season.

In general, the more stills and photos I see from Dorne, the more excited for it I am. It seems like Ellaria and the Sand Snakes have some cool (step)mom-(step)daughters relationship, which, if true, is already more character than that family has shown in the books. And there's speculation that Myrcella shows any sort of character beyond 'pawn', too. Now, that'd be an interesting change.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like Gwendoline Christie but it was the wrong choice to get a model to play Brienne.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like Gwendoline Christie but it was the wrong choice to get a model to play Brienne.

Granted, she is much prettier than any description of Brienne... but drat.. Am I the only one who think she is not model pretty?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dalael posted:

Granted, she is much prettier than any description of Brienne... but drat.. Am I the only one who think she is not model pretty?

Probably not but she's literally a model.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Quick aside here, I've seen some debate online about the relative quality of the trailers for each individual season. Some say the season 5 one was underwhelming, some say it was great. Then there is some debate about what the best trailer HBO has done for Game of Thrones is.

I don't want to have a debate on that, let's just all agree it's this one and appreciate that it's a friggin trailer that is still chilling and awesome years after all the content was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEjfno03UPg

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dalael posted:

I think she's 'girl next door' (who's scary high and strong) cute. She isn't that 'anorexic, pouty' thing.

Also. That's her half-naked (rather literally) in 2012:
Solve Sundsbo

When you look at her recent photos, you'll see that she's grown some pretty good calf muscle (which makes her look rather horribly in that combination of mid-thigh dress and pointy-ended high-heels that she seems to love, but, uh, that's beside the point). Given that she's now in Star Wars, I think she must to some extent enjoy playing not-pretty.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Quick aside here, I've seen some debate online about the relative quality of the trailers for each individual season. Some say the season 5 one was underwhelming, some say it was great. Then there is some debate about what the best trailer HBO has done for Game of Thrones is.

I don't want to have a debate on that, let's just all agree it's this one and appreciate that it's a friggin trailer that is still chilling and awesome years after all the content was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEjfno03UPg

I would like to submit this fan made piece of art as one of the best Game of Thrones trailer of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMHvBKLKCI

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
What's wrong with her being a model? She hasn't got typical model looks and her acting is fine. I even think the way they make her look for the show is a good adaptation of the character.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, this isn't Tim & Eric, so forget about getting an actually ugly semi-main character on this show. The best you could have hoped for was TV ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dalael posted:

You don't actually have to be insanely pretty to be a model. But you have to be above average height, and she is 6'3".

Anyway, she's probably past her prime as a model (at 37). On top of that, she doesn't wear crazy amounts of make-up like the other female characters in the show. Yeah, she isn't ugly like the book version but I think she does a really good job of playing the undesirable, out-of-the-ordinary noblewoman - enough for most people, especially male knights, to mock her.

• Locked thread