Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Daeren posted:

Read this to see where the writers got a whole shitload of inspiration for the God-Machine.

That was a very cool read. And now I want to run a Mortals get hosed with by the God Machine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega See D
Nov 18, 2006

kill the oppressors
It's one hundred percent madness to imagine anything but neolithic mage getting the spot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'll be happy as long as it's not Geist.

I mean, the Wild West is neat and all but Geist is just not very good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Viking werewolves is pretty tempting but where would the neolithic mage setting be based?

Weren't we still pretty much kicking around Africa at that point?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pope Guilty posted:

Weren't we still pretty much kicking around Africa at that point?

The neolithic stars somewhere around 10,000 BC, with notable human inventions such as agriculture. So no, we were pretty much kicking around the whole drat planet by that point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

GoatLord posted:

The neolithic stars somewhere around 10,000 BC, with notable human inventions such as agriculture. So no, we were pretty much kicking around the whole drat planet by that point.

Huh, I guess I don't know as much about anthropology and early human history as I thought!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The one thing I can say in favor of Neolithic Mage is that it doesn't sound like the most boring setting/splat combo possible (that's Neolithic Vampire)

Change Wild West Geist to Wild Wild West Geist and we're good

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Crion posted:

The one thing I can say in favor of Neolithic Mage is that it doesn't sound like the most boring setting/splat combo possible (that's Neolithic Vampire)

Change Wild West Geist to Wild Wild West Geist and we're good

Ah, a fellow Son of Ether.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What would neolithic vampire even be, just hanging out in caves like Charles Dance in that Dracula movie?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
At this point I demand to be able to vote for the Wizard Flintstones setting everyone apparently thinks of when they hear the word 'neolithic'.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gilok posted:

What would neolithic vampire even be, just hanging out in caves like Charles Dance in that Dracula movie?

Based on past canon, it would involve Mekhet in the form of horrible tentacle-based blob monsters.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Probably the simplest way to make Geist more playable and focused is to just omit Manifestations entirely and emphasize Ceremonies, Fetters, krewe abilities and other more ghost-centric sources of power. Also give the Geist a separate willpower pool based on Psyche that it can use to boost or penalize rolls. Man, being a game designer is easy! :downs:

I do like the NZ setting, I was hoping such a niche location would come from a really strong idea and was not disappointed. Werewolf was a bit weak just because it keeps reiterating "this is real, humanize the setting" without really providing useful playable details. The bit about "remember everyone has a reason for joining a gang or committing a crime" had me going "cool, please give me a few examples". It would really benefit from a page on how a typical Warriors gang is organized, who's responsible for what, etc.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This still wouldn't address some of the other problems with Geist, most notably 'why do I give a poo poo about what my Geist wants' and 'so what do I want to do, exactly?'

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah, that solution manages to avoid solving the line's key thematic problem while also taking away the only thing interesting mechanically about the line and replaces it with...fiat and boring dice tricks? A+

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Denim Avenger posted:

As far as I can tell the God Machine is if Francis E. Dec was onto something with his insane rambles about the Gangster Computer God, but was only scratching the surface.

Oh thank God, it wasn't just me.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Neolithic mage sounds neat, but I'd be betraying what I stand for if I didn't vote Viking Werewolf.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This better be "Travelling all the way around Europe and back up Russian rivers to Holmgard and Beyond" vikings and less "horned helmet rape and pillage" vikings.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Kavak posted:

This better be "Travelling all the way around Europe and back up Russian rivers to Holmgard and Beyond" vikings and less "horned helmet rape and pillage" vikings.

Well, vikings DID have a specialty in the pillaging department.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well, vikings DID have a specialty in the pillaging department.

Yeah, but they also had specialities in the trading and conquering/settling departments. What better way for a pack to carve out new territory than to stock a few ships full of supplies and set sail west to York, Ireland, Iceland, etc.?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Don't forget their specialty in a rich and surprisingly complex legal culture that had a not insignificant influence over the English common law. Vikings: They'll Sue You.

EDIT: See also the Welsh, though they had much less of an influence. One of the irritations I had with Changeling the Dreaming was that, despite its appropriation of a lot of Welsh and Irish poo poo, they never explored the distinctive and extraordinary laws of those people, many of which were literally perfect for the game's style and setting! The Welsh had a series of categories the people would belong to, all of which fit like a glove:
The royalty (the hereditary Kings and their entourage)
The free-born men
The aillt, a mostly free collective of men with somewhat lesser rights,
The alltud, the men of foreign blood who are resident and have a set of distinct rights their own,
and the Caeth, the bond-servants and slaves. Similar structures existed in the Irish tribes, and to a lesser extent, the Angles, Danes and Saxons.

For the single-most physical-and-social mobility focused line of the oWoD, this system would have been great. But instead we got a sort of non-committal grunt and shrug to anything more complex than 'commoners and nobles'.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 2, 2015

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Brookshaw is an archaeologist by trade, I consulted with a friend of mine who's a Classiscist and Africanist scholar, Dave double checked some things with a person who knows Classical Greek, and I have a general interest in the period and due to my religious background, a smattering of trivia about India.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I got as far as my Master's degree and a stint as a post-excavation worker before giving up the archaeologist's life for a steady(ish) wage; my wife got her PHD. A mate of mine briefly lectured in Ancient Greek at Oxford after doing her Classics PHD, and she gave us a hand with things like renaming Arcana "Archai". I knew Malcolm was interested in early Indian history, so he was the first person I asked.

And then I read an awful lot of Fox.

Well fair enough. I'm a history grad student at a small South Carolina university, and a Mage campaign set in Alexander's court has been an idea lurking in the back of my head for years on end. I was elated to first hear that the period was getting a setting write-up, and will be very interested to see the supplement's treatment of the Diadochoi. Are you allowed to comment at this juncture on whether or not any historical figures of the court get Awakened or Sleepwalker status as-written? Aristander always struck me as a likely culprit for supernatural malfeasance, with all those prescient but politically useful omen readings and dream interpretations under his belt.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Neolithic Mage isn't just, like, Druids N' poo poo is it?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

For the single-most physical-and-social mobility focused line of the oWoD, this system would have been great. But instead we got a sort of non-committal grunt and shrug to anything more complex than 'commoners and nobles'.

Rules are banal, maaan. Also social mobility means that people might become more special than you some day.

Cabbit posted:

Nah, no one knows who they were or what they were doing.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I think the problem with Stone Age Mage is that we don't actually know all that many details about what was going on back then, which seems like sort of a problem for a game about playing a historical setting. I can't see a way to delve into any sort of specifics about the cultures without just making a bunch of poo poo up, which I'm not super-interested in for this sort of product. I would be way more interested in something like Sumerian Mage (Tower of Babel writes itself), which seems like it would have a broader knowledge base to draw on.

Aw, who I am kidding, I was going to vote for Werewolf Vikings anyway.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, i'd be more inclined to vote Mage if we had a pitch or description beyond the word "Neolithic".

You know what would be good? Promethean in the Soviet Union in the 50s. Lots of wide open spaces to go to the wastes in, the popular idea of the New Soviet Man as a model for the Pilgrimage, the whole Frankenstein project of combining all those nationalities into one new society, trying to build something new from the wreckage of the war, internal surveillance and the secret police as a mortal threat, mad science and alchemy abound, passing along the Ramble through samizdat, Ulgan lore waiting in Siberia and the birth of the Zeka as line-specific hooks...and who would make a better Stakhanovite than a Promethean?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kavak posted:

Rules are banal, maaan. Also social mobility means that people might become more special than you some day.

One of these days, after I run the werewolf/gangrel Hillbilly game and try the Clutch Hunter game again, I'm going to run a heavily modified oChangeling game. Then we'll see if rules are banal! (Changeling's sure as gently caress were half the time...)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

You know what would be good? Promethean in the Soviet Union in the 50s. Lots of wide open spaces to go to the wastes in, the popular idea of the New Soviet Man as a model for the Pilgrimage, the whole Frankenstein project of combining all those nationalities into one new society, trying to build something new from the wreckage of the war, internal surveillance and the secret police as a mortal threat, mad science and alchemy abound, passing along the Ramble through samizdat, Ulgan lore waiting in Siberia and the birth of the Zeka as line-specific hooks...and who would make a better Stakhanovite than a Promethean?

Ooh, pretty, want it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Kavak posted:

Yeah, but they also had specialities in the trading and conquering/settling departments. What better way for a pack to carve out new territory than to stock a few ships full of supplies and set sail west to York, Ireland, Iceland, etc.?

It depends on where they came from. Norwegian vikings were mostly settlers, swedes founded Kievan Rus and raided up and down the rivers in eastern europe, and danes settled france, england and everything in between while pillaging and raping. But I digress. Also Iceland was poo poo, greenland was pretty decent in that timeperiod.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

zeal posted:

Well fair enough. I'm a history grad student at a small South Carolina university, and a Mage campaign set in Alexander's court has been an idea lurking in the back of my head for years on end. I was elated to first hear that the period was getting a setting write-up, and will be very interested to see the supplement's treatment of the Diadochoi. Are you allowed to comment at this juncture on whether or not any historical figures of the court get Awakened or Sleepwalker status as-written? Aristander always struck me as a likely culprit for supernatural malfeasance, with all those prescient but politically useful omen readings and dream interpretations under his belt.

The full text of Dark Eras is available free on the Kickstarter page.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Cabbit posted:

Not just druids, no. There was some weird poo poo going on back in the day.

DSPaul fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 2, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh poo poo Mage: Neolithic is winning by 15 votes, come onnn

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh poo poo Mage: Neolithic is winning by 15 votes, come onnn

Where do I support this amazing venture that surely cant go wrong in any way?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do I support this amazing venture that surely cant go wrong in any way?

You can cast your vote (even if you haven't backed) here:
http://theonyxpath.com/dark-eras-poll/

I have to say, Wild West Geist would actually be kinda cool, I think? I know very little about Geist but Wild West of Darkness (nWWoD) with ghosts sounds like a cool concept.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

You can cast your vote (even if you haven't backed) here:
http://theonyxpath.com/dark-eras-poll/

I have to say, Wild West Geist would actually be kinda cool, I think? I know very little about Geist but Wild West of Darkness (nWWoD) with ghosts sounds like a cool concept.

Voted Geist :3

That's the 2nd ed I'm most looking forward to. Give that game some focus and clean up the rules a little bit and it'll be pretty amazing. I mean, you're basically playing Ghost Rider.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also voted to finally give Geist a Nice Thing but it's currently tied between DA:WtF2 and Yet More Mage.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It doesn't help that Geist isn't exactly the most popular nWoD line to begin with.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Daeren posted:

Read this to see where the writers got a whole shitload of inspiration for the God-Machine.

In my view, you truly understand the God-Machine when you realize there's nothing to actually understand. Even saying it's Big Brother ascribes a bit too much of a clean motive to it. It's a grotesque, hideously complex pile of recursive code on top of reality that does things because it does things. It may be complex enough that you get the Boltzmann brain or China brain phenomena involved, but even if it has some sort of intrinsic intelligence, it's completely and utterly alien from any other point of view. It has angels because angels are "small" enough to actually interact with and understand humanity, remember, and even angels can't grasp more than a sliver of the Big G-M's plans.

What it truly wants - or the question of if it can even think - isn't what's going to be important to most games, though. What's important is what it's doing. Why is it cultivating a certain bloodline of vampires to only embrace from these four specific human families in a specific order based off the Golden Ratio? To do something. What's it doing? You might figure that out - let's say that when they hit a critical mass, the vampires create a sympathetic environment that allows angels to manifest easier. One uniting reason the God-Machine does anything is that it wants more control. It wants to propagate itself, it wants to have more influence, it wants to enact future plans more smoothly and more comprehensively. You can make a decent crack at predicting future actions based on the past and present, if you're a demon or someone ludicrously well informed from another splat, but that's about it.

It's a self-adjusting code paired up with a tumor. Whether or not the thing has a sense of 'I Am' or even conscious motive is irrelevant. It has a set of interests it follows, and if allowed to follow them, this generally has really horrible consequences for humanity due to the God-Machine treating humans like any other tool. There may actually be some higher motive or cause the God-Machine follows, like the many suggestions in the GMC, but unless you're spectacularly (un)lucky and in a global/cosmic level game, you'll be one in a billion if you even get close to guessing it, and its overarching motive almost certainly won't actually show through on the level of its plans you're going to be interacting with.

The God-Machine is a monster you can't punch, The Man without a state to smash, The Virus without a cure to make. You may as well declare war on weak nuclear forces. The fact that demons can do that and actually make some degree of difference is why Demon rules. On the view of the grand scale, the God-Machine is unbeatable barring cosmic shenanigans. On the local scale, though, you can thwart its plans, ruin decades of careful preparation, kill its agents, and even drive it out of an area completely if it decides it's not worth the effort. It's a grassroots movement against Robot God.

To add to this, I feel it's really important to always make it REALLY murky as to whether the GM actually has a coherent plan or it just does things for no real reason (aside from the things that are meant as prep-work to do other things). The fact that you never quite know for certain whether what you're thwarting may actually be doing something good is important, in my opinion. Not everything the GM does is awful, or Integrators would have a much harder time existing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I assume that a good portion of what the God Machine does is pointless nonsense that functions as Concealment Infrastructure not against the clueless masses but against the Stigmatics and Demons who are in the know. "A cult of seventh sons who run companies that incorporate arcane sigils into their logos are selling steel with a strange composition to contractors building libraries in cities whose rank in US population corresponds to the Fibonacci sequence? WHAT DOES IT MEEEEEAAAAN?!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like it's a mistake to give the Godmachine anything even approaching human motivation. Like, a good Godmachine plot would be to crash a plane in Venezuela, so an immigrant living in NYC wears her black dress (instead of her blue one) on Wednesday for her dead grandmother. Then on Thursday she wears her blue dress to work, boards a bus where everybody except one guy is wearing blue, which makes that guy feel a little like an outsider and just a little creeped out.

Why did Godmachine want him to feel edgy? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As I continue going through Dark Eras, my only disappointment so far is no appearance by the Chevalier of Thélème. When was the last time he showed up, the Horror Recognition Guide?

• Locked thread