Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played/watched any of the Persona games or shows so I wouldn't know. I just watched the first vid on YT that Google spat out and I think it looks perfectly fine.
Persona games/anime at least since P3 have gone a bit overboard with regards to gradients in their character designs.

That's from the game and I think it was even more pronounced in at least the first P4 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nate RFB posted:

Persona games/anime at least since P3 have gone a bit overboard with regards to gradients in their character designs.

That's from the game and I think it was even more pronounced in at least the first P4 anime.

I think sometimes the dialog box hides it a little, because I never noticed that before.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The part where the gradient starts would usually be covered by the text box though

E: I never watched the anime though so maybe you're right

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm talking about his face, not his clothes. Check out his forehead compared to just below his nose. It never bothered me but people definitely complained about it when the anime was coming out.

E: Should have just put in a little more effort looking through the wiki and posted this one first:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how do you feel about ufotable's non tm work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6WN2W9_q-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LA-Mp7l60k

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

He didn't like F/Z.

I missed that, nvm.

e:

Endorph posted:

how do you feel about ufotable's non tm work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6WN2W9_q-U

Isn't that an Anime Mirai short from a couple years ago? The trailer and art look really familiar.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 30, 2015

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The first Persona 4 pic doesn't look too jarring but the second one is kind of bad, yeah. But that doesn't bug me in the same way so I assume the gradients are not the main problem. The first video's art style is amazing and it occurred to me that I probably dislike the lack of character in their Fate material, it's like comparing a 2D game with beautifully painted art and 3D game with generic models, technically the latter has the upper hand but it often lacks soul. Even Persona 3 with its gradients looks much better IMO.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So I finished watching ToraDora again, and at the thread's recommendation, started on Lovely Complex and My Little Monster (as well as Golden Time, since it's by the ToraDora person.) So far, I've only watched one episode each of Lovely Complex and Golden Time. The former seems a little too whimsical for my tastes, but I'll stick it out since it seems to be highly recommended. The latter also seems to be missing some of that magic that made ToraDora so special, not sure exactly what yet though, I'm thinking it's the rather boring main character. Then again, only the first episodes.

I'm really liking My Little Monster though, so thanks to the goons that brought it up. From what I've been told, the story is unfinished in the anime, and I'll eventually have to look for the manga? Does the anime follow the manga closely for that matter?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Golden Time's animation and designs are really bland compared to Toradora so I think that's one of the reasons why it doesn't have that same magic. Gives it less personality and all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, I mean they can emote and poo poo. It's still odd to me to hear Billy Bob's voice coming out of that mercenary though :v:

Patrick Stewart in Nausicaa throws me every time I hear him speak in it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Golden Time's animation and designs are really bland compared to Toradora so I think that's one of the reasons why it doesn't have that same magic. Gives it less personality and all that.

Golden Time was sort of a frustrating watch. It obviously had the potential to be really neat, but it just wasn't handled all that well, imo. I want to like it, but can't.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Neurosis posted:

Hi, I've watched a few anime series but am not hugely familiar with the medium as a whole. I have a low tolerance for cutesy humour and extremely stylised anime stuff, and prefer serious storylines. I will probably watch the English dub.

Of those I've seen:

God-tier
Patlabor 2
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Psychopass
The new NGE films (sans the third so far) and End of Evangelion

Good (in order)
Patlabor The Movie
Ergo Proxy
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Attack on Titan
NGE the original series
(So far, up to ep 17) Darker Than Black

Okay
Trigun
Patlabor III
Aldnoah
Hellsing OVAs

There are others I haven't fully watched so can't properly judge, but from what I saw I did not like Fate/Zero, Future Diary and Baccano, all of which had aspects which majorly put me off (that married couple in Baccano, hoooooollllyyyy fuuuuuuuckkkk). Hence why there's no bad/poo poo tier above, since I'm not going to watch a full series of bad. I've watched a little of Planetes too which wasn't obviously bad but didn't grab me.

There are a few I can't remember. I've got monster and Ghost in the Shell stuff somewhere, and I'll get around to them once I'm done with Darker Than Black.

Edit: added Psychopass to god-tier*. Loved that show.

If you made it through 17 eps of Darker than Black you should really try to get to the end of Baccano, but I digress.

Real Talk: Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Blade of the Immortal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope you mean the Blade of the Immortal manga because the anime is the most uninspired trash ever.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the recommendations.

Saladore
Mar 15, 2009
I've just finished watching Knights of Sidonia and quite enjoyed it. Could someone recommend a good mecha anime? I'm completely new to the genre so anything should be fine. I really enjoyed the alien nature and mystery of the Guana, so a similar adversary would be nice. I also really enjoyed the bleak space setting and the trans-humanism aspects.

Something dubbed would be nice too, but it's not a dealbreaker. Thanks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Gunbuster, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (do NOT read any summaries/descriptions) for the rad poo poo, Turn A Gundam for something a bit more grounded. Then cry because hardly anything compares, especially to the first two.

e: You might also want to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion at some point but it's been a long time since I've seen that so I can't really recommend it with clear conscience based upon my past feelings. Most people would probably consider it somewhere between important and must-watch.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 2, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think when getting your feet wet in the genre it's good to stick to shorter series, so I'm gonna suggest Macross Plus. It's only 4 episodes long, and tells an exciting story that doesn't hinge upon knowing anything about the Macross series. Also the dub is great, and because it was dubbed back in the 90s you get to hear Bryan Cranston in an anime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eureka seven is not only the best mecha anime but the best anime even

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

Eureka seven is not only the best mecha anime but the best anime even

I cannot follow you there, friend. That is a place only you can go

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
he is not alone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

muike posted:

he is not alone
Eureka Seven 1.0: You are (not) alone

Saladore
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with Macross and Turn A Gundam then. Really like the sound of Turn A actually. It's an oddly appealing sounding setting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Turn A Gundam is barely a mecha show.

It is, however, one of the finest animes ever, with one of the best soundtracks ever, with some of the best characters ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Turn A Gundam is barely a mecha show.

It is, however, one of the finest animes ever, with one of the best soundtracks ever, with some of the best characters ever
Early on, yeah, kinda, but the tail-end is fairly action heavy. Ghingham is the spark for an exciting climax, basically.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-fWCXvhAY

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Saladore posted:

I've just finished watching Knights of Sidonia and quite enjoyed it. Could someone recommend a good mecha anime? I'm completely new to the genre so anything should be fine. I really enjoyed the alien nature and mystery of the Guana, so a similar adversary would be nice. I also really enjoyed the bleak space setting and the trans-humanism aspects.

THe first 3/4 of Blassreiter

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

oh my god.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Saladore posted:

Well, Turn A and Gunbuster got mentioned so I'll throw in RahXephon and ...gently caress it, I'll catch hell for this but Code Geass if you can stand a side of goofball high school poo poo and the occasional foray into :catdrugs:

Those two in particular also come to mind for your post specifically because both have English dubs.

e:VVVV
Yeah, that basically.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

code geass is a trainwreck in the best possible way. It goes 100 miles per hour bascially from the word go and not much makes sense but who cares, cool poo poo is happening and the protagonist is laughing like a maniac and there's a guy named orange in a giant floating orange

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Saladore posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with Macross and Turn A Gundam then. Really like the sound of Turn A actually. It's an oddly appealing sounding setting.
Turn-A Gundam is a great show with some fantastically weird mech designs (Syd Mead did a lot of the mechanical design for the show, and it's wonderful; afterward I recommend looking up some of his concept art because it is really cool), and pretty much any Macross show is going to have cool dogfights (Plus is both bite-size and pretty good). So those are probably good choices.

I'm going to recommend Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. It has a fun retro aesthetic, an amazing musical score, and a great ensemble cast. I don't particularly like the dub, but it has one.

EDIT: Now I'm listening to the Giant Robo OSTs again and am reminded just how drat good they are.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 2, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I was pretty disappointed with the ending of Giant Robo, but it was a fun ride to get there. Basically, the fact that it took literal years to make made it feel really disjointed to me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I've never really understood the love giant robo gets. I don't think it's bad but I just don't get why it's so beloved.

I mean I own the loving thing and I have watched it like 4 or five times???? What am I missing?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean I own the loving thing and I have watched it like 4 or five times???? What am I missing?

Good taste.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Super helpful. A+.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

I've never really understood the love giant robo gets. I don't think it's bad but I just don't get why it's so beloved.

A soul.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I have legit ADHD and somehow it has only gotten worse with age. What're some fast paced animes with lots of action? I really like the mecha part of mecha shows but it is hard to describe how much I do not want to sit through the non-mecha parts of Gundam

Crazy poo poo like the first season of Valverave is right up my alley. Something like Gundam Build Fighters that fills the space between fights with comedy is also pretty great. I just want a series with lots of stuff that is entertaining in the short term (as opposed to something like I guess long term character development? I don't know how to describe it but trying to watch Turn A Gundam and Eureka Seven was pretty difficult for me)

All of the examples I've given are mecha but I'm cool with any action, not just robots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gurren lagann

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Seen it, it was good. Not incredible, but good. Would totally watch something similiar

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All 3 of the Getter Robo OVAs. New Getter Robo first, then the rest.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
May as well watch the Mazinkaiser OVAs as well if you're going that route. Plain Mazinkaiser has more comedy, SKL has more violence.

• Locked thread