Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah it's easy to say "Oh but it was fine for the Israelites to commit genocide against these people because God told them to do so" but then it opens up the question of okay, let's say the Holocaust really was God's command to the Nazis to punish the Jews for something they did wrong. I think most people are going to find the idea that maybe the Holocaust was a good and righteous thing to be completely hosed up.

Also the idea that "God created human life therefore he has the right to wipe it out" is pretty hosed up as well. Especially if you realize what God says before and after the flood. Before the flood, God says he's going to destroy mankind because they're evil. Then after the flood, God says "Never again will I destroy mankind, for his heart is evil from birth." So God killed almost every human on earth with the reason being "They're evil," then God says he won't kill almost every human on earth with the reason being "They're evil."

Oh and let's not forget the Tower of Babel, where a bunch of guys say "Hey let's build a tower so that we'll be a more strongly united people and future generations will remember us," and God gets scared and says "Oh no, if they succeed in building this tower, nothing will be beyond their power! We have to stop them!" Like I guess God was worried they'd become JRPG protagonists and try to kill him or something, but what the gently caress does an omnipotent God have to fear from a bunch of people building a tower? But fear is definitely God's motivation in stopping the tower, so uh...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah it's easy to say "Oh but it was fine for the Israelites to commit genocide against these people because God told them to do so" but then it opens up the question of okay, let's say the Holocaust really was God's command to the Nazis to punish the Jews for something they did wrong. I think most people are going to find the idea that maybe the Holocaust was a good and righteous thing to be completely hosed up.

Also the idea that "God created human life therefore he has the right to wipe it out" is pretty hosed up as well. Especially if you realize what God says before and after the flood. Before the flood, God says he's going to destroy mankind because they're evil. Then after the flood, God says "Never again will I destroy mankind, for his heart is evil from birth." So God killed almost every human on earth with the reason being "They're evil," then God says he won't kill almost every human on earth with the reason being "They're evil."

Oh and let's not forget the Tower of Babel, where a bunch of guys say "Hey let's build a tower so that we'll be a more strongly united people and future generations will remember us," and God gets scared and says "Oh no, if they succeed in building this tower, nothing will be beyond their power! We have to stop them!" Like I guess God was worried they'd become JRPG protagonists and try to kill him or something, but what the gently caress does an omnipotent God have to fear from a bunch of people building a tower? But fear is definitely God's motivation in stopping the tower, so uh...yeah.

It all comes down to the guy making these claims is a self-outed stalker in a holy quest against uppity women.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah and it was used as part of the basis for Zeitgeist, which is full of poo poo and completely fabricated stories of Egyptian mythology. So basically you're appealing to a book that people with even the most basic knowledge of Egypt realize is full of poo poo. I'd like to hope you realize how this completely undermines your point.

sure, if the book is bullshit then I want to know.

which parts of zeitgeist draw from Christ in Egypt?

which parts of Christ in Egypt are wrong?

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tend to write off most of the bible as stuff made up by primitive man. Are there any interpretations of the tower of babel story that dont revolve around god getting scared?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

logosanatic posted:

which parts of zeitgeist draw from Christ in Egypt?

which parts of Christ in Egypt are wrong?

logosanatic posted:

Are there any interpretations of the tower of babel story that dont revolve around god getting scared?

A literal world of knowledge is waiting for you to discover it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

logosanatic posted:

I tend to write off most of the bible as stuff made up by primitive man. Are there any interpretations of the tower of babel story that dont revolve around god getting scared?

Ok, so we've estabilished that you think the bible is mostly fiction and that religion does not offer anything concrete. So why, despite this, do you even think that god actually exists? Because if your only reason is 'because a lot of people believe in this', then lol, congrats on your intellectual laziness.

I don't care how you find religion interesting, plenty of people study religion while being atheists. I don't care how it makes you feel nice feelings or whatever. Why do you think it's actually real?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The tower of babel is a nice metaphor for the limits of human language and reason. In the past two centuries humans have made enormous advances in science and medicine - but then you have the curse of Babel showing itself in the form of antivax.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I could only watch like twenty minutes of Zeitgeist before my eyes rolled back into my head and I shat myself to death.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I could only watch like twenty minutes of Zeitgeist before my eyes rolled back into my head and I shat myself to death.

I literally broke out in maniacal laughter when the hand is reaching for the truth and another hand stops it like "here, take this bible and flag instead" and I thought of all the stoners going OHHH WOWE.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

It hurt after fifteen minutes, kinda like Idiocracy, except serious.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Someone here earlier mentioned preferring Buddha's morality to Jesus. Would anyone who feels similarly mind posting some reasons why?

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

Someone here earlier mentioned preferring Buddha's morality to Jesus. Would anyone who feels similarly mind posting some reasons why?

Buddhism is the polar opposite. It's attractive because it tries to encapsulate the Good while avoiding theism, and rebels are always happier with no God to be mad at while stroking their ego about how good they can be on their own.

It's amazing how both are considered great spiritual teachers but as soon as you start discussing Jesus's divinity (which is the most critical point of his existence and the source of his goodness) rebels go mad and start frothing at the mouth about it. Apparently Jehovah is very controversial even though he is so hard to 'believe' in and there is 'scant evidence'.

In a way there are no atheists - they comprehend God perfectly well, but they simply reject him. They don't agree. Their 'unbelief' is not about God's existence, it is merely rebellion and a refusal to submit to him. To pretend he doesn't exist or wish it weren't so is merely the greatest of cop-outs. It is the greatest of false comforts.

The Buddha, whoever he was (or they were), was (were) a teacher(s) of insight and virtue. I think even in the world of unbelief, the shadow of God's excellence, wisdom, and justice can be found. One can behold the glory of creation and see it, whether one chooses to believe or not. In that way teachers like the Buddha are such a shadow. Human virtue is forever totally incomplete and dead, but wherever it matches Scripture, its the broken clock that is right twice a day and so reflects God's excellence in that way. But independently of God, it is destined to always become vanity and pride.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CowOnCrack posted:

Buddhism is the polar opposite. It's attractive because it tries to encapsulate the Good while avoiding theism, and rebels are always happier with no God to be mad at while stroking their ego about how good they can be on their own.

Did I miss what this "rebel" thing is all about? Are people "rebels" when they don't disagree with what you believe? Are women rebels when they won't provide you with sex?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

It's amazing how both are considered great spiritual teachers but as soon as you start discussing Jesus's divinity (which is the most critical point of his existence and the source of his goodness) rebels go mad and start frothing at the mouth about it. Apparently Jehovah is very controversial even though he is so hard to 'believe' in and there is 'scant evidence'.

In a way there are no atheists - they comprehend God perfectly well, but they simply reject him. They don't agree. Their 'unbelief' is not about God's existence, it is merely rebellion and a refusal to submit to him. To pretend he doesn't exist or wish it weren't so is merely the greatest of cop-outs. It is the greatest of false comforts.

The Buddha, whoever he was (or they were), was (were) a teacher(s) of insight and virtue. I think even in the world of unbelief, the shadow of God's excellence, wisdom, and justice can be found. One can behold the glory of creation and see it, whether one chooses to believe or not. In that way teachers like the Buddha are such a shadow. Human virtue is forever totally incomplete and dead, but wherever it matches Scripture, its the broken clock that is right twice a day and so reflects God's excellence in that way. But independently of God, it is destined to always become vanity and pride.

So honestly, though, how much did it cost your parents to make the stalking charges go away? More or less than $100k?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I'm sure I asked before, but how did this guy survive this long on an '04 regdate?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SedanChair posted:

Did I miss what this "rebel" thing is all about? Are people "rebels" when they don't disagree with what you believe? Are women rebels when they won't provide you with sex?
He just replaced "heretic" with "rebel" to make it more edgy for the millennial generation.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
You Christian rebels and your rejection of the Pantheon. :rolleyes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

How goes your attempts to teach that girl a lesson for leading you on?

Oh, and buhddism has no more evidence for their beliefs than you do for yours. You are no less a broken clock than they are.

Seriously, these masturbatory 'My god is the REAL god' claims are as laughable as your piss poor attempts to understand the social implications of having a girl who is a friend only.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bob James posted:

You Christian rebels and your rejection of the Pantheon. :rolleyes:

You classical pantheists and your rejection of the one true wolf god who lives in the valley.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

You classical pantheists and your rejection of the one true wolf god who lives in the valley.

Wolf god my rear end, everyone in this yurt knows the moon is ruler of all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Pfft, that's just an appropriation of Fenrisúlfr and everyone knows it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SedanChair posted:

You will respect the demiurge :argh:

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

CowOnCrack posted:

I have this theory that being this strong/fanatical of a Christian requires an inability to feel empathy. And boy, do I just keep getting more evidence to support it.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wolf god my rear end, everyone in this yurt knows the moon is ruler of all.

could it be that a pantheon of three wolf gods rules the moon? that they keep the moon in check with their powerful howling?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rodatose posted:

could it be that a pantheon of three wolf gods rules the moon? that they keep the moon in check with their powerful howling?

Mind blown.
*composes rambling wall of text essay on new revelation as blood slowly trickles out both ears.*

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CowOnCrack posted:

Apparently Jehovah is very controversial even though he is so hard to 'believe' in and there is 'scant evidence'.

In a way there are no atheists - they comprehend God perfectly well, but they simply reject him. They don't agree. Their 'unbelief' is not about God's existence, it is merely rebellion and a refusal to submit to him.

Every day I wake up and punch my brother in the face because the Sock Drawer Leprechaun told me to, then I walk around the neighborhood with a megaphone screaming about how the Sock Drawer Leprechaun will kill us all unless they give me all their money, while I take a poo poo on their lawns. Why would all these people be mad unless they secretly believed in him and are rebelling against him? That only serves to prove me right. :smug:

News flash: atheists who get upset about God/Christians aren't actually mad at God, who they do not believe exists, they are mad at the people who claim to follow God and act like tremendous assholes in the name of God, by doing things such as preventing gay people from getting married or trying to deny poor people financial assistance because of something Paul said in a letter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

Every day I wake up and punch my brother in the face because the Sock Drawer Leprechaun told me to, then I walk around the neighborhood with a megaphone screaming about how the Sock Drawer Leprechaun will kill us all unless they give me all their money, while I take a poo poo on their lawns. Why would all these people be mad unless they secretly believed in him and are rebelling against him? That only serves to prove me right. :smug:

News flash: atheists who get upset about God/Christians aren't actually mad at God, who they do not believe exists, they are mad at the people who claim to follow God and act like tremendous assholes in the name of God, by doing things such as preventing gay people from getting married or trying to deny poor people financial assistance because of something Paul said in a letter.

"Well you say that but no one here has literally lynched an unbeliever so obviously this can't be true QED" *faaaaarts*

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

CowOnCrack posted:

I read nothing in this post but this, but I have to ask CoC, why do you never refer to the god by his true name, Ahura Mazda? You do refer to the mšiha kdaba (the false messiah Jesus Christ, who perverted the teachings entrusted to him by John the Baptist) by his name, but never the one true god. Delusion has not served you in the past CoC, and it doesn't help you here :(.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DrProsek posted:

I read nothing in this post but this, but I have to ask CoC, why do you never refer to the god by his true name, Ahura Mazda? You do refer to the mšiha kdaba (the false messiah Jesus Christ, who perverted the teachings entrusted to him by John the Baptist) by his name, but never the one true god. Delusion has not served you in the past CoC, and it doesn't help you here :(.

The Mazda Miata was god's gift to man :stare:

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Twelve by Pies posted:

Every day I wake up and punch my brother in the face because the Sock Drawer Leprechaun told me to, then I walk around the neighborhood with a megaphone screaming about how the Sock Drawer Leprechaun will kill us all unless they give me all their money, while I take a poo poo on their lawns. Why would all these people be mad unless they secretly believed in him and are rebelling against him? That only serves to prove me right.

Jehovah is not the Sock Drawer Leprechaun though. I suggest starting with a comparative religious studies class or if you are especially adventurous, pick up a book like The Pleasure of God in Being God by John Piper and approach it with an open mind AND heart. As far as the compulsion to punch others, no matter what is or isn't going on in the realms of the heavens, violence resulting from anger remains a part of life. Whatever justification a human can come up with, God hates sin.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yes, humanity can be awful. In this you agree with the Christians. And your position is no better position to explain it or offer comfort for it.

I don't participate in anything you just listed, and neither does any Christian I am aware of. I believe homosexuality, as a lifestyle, is a life-dominating sin because it is fornication outside of the institution of marriage. I believe that marriage, as a sacred institution, is between one man and one woman because that is Scriptural. I don't think you can accept one part of Scripture and not accept the rest - that is picking and choosing based on your human-centered preferences. Homosexuality was not always seen as an alternative lifestyle or an identity, that is a modern idea. Now it is seen as a gender and an unchangeable aspect of oneself and an identity. I realize there is scientific evidence to support this idea. I am not homosexual so admit I have no idea what that experience is like, and therefore in no position to judge. It is a challenging idea for me. As I mentioned, I was an agnostic and skeptic for the first 27 years of my life, and steeped in the worldview of 'tolerance and acceptance'. The problem is this can lead to 'anything goes,' and the reality that what is tolerant and intolerant can be defined by whomever in control very easily. With no Truth there is no way to settle the issue (also discussed below.)

My position can be put as follows: In the Bible, homosexuality is scarcely mentioned, and we are ALL sinners, so I spend about zero hours of my day, 365 days a year, 'hating' homosexuals or worrying about what they are doing. I know two open homosexuals at my school who are partners and Christians, and I don't recall ever treating them any differently or them being treated any differently in our largely Christian singing group. I have seen homosexual couples at my mother's church that is more liberal in their views, they are welcomed and they in turn are welcoming to newcomers. Christians don't always agree on the treatment of homosexuals, although I personally believe strongly in doctrinal purity and orthodoxy and so does my church. The reason why is the further you move away from the Scripture, the more you invent your own philosophies to fill in the gaps. If you move so far as to deny Christ's divinity and Resurrection which some 'Christian' churches are shockingly doing, you have effectively nullified it entirely and have strayed into apostasy. I do not advocate intolerance towards any human being. If a homosexual came to our church, we would offer them nothing but compassion and counseling so that they can avoid sin in their life. We would focus on the sin, not the sinner. We would never turn them away, but of course if they believe in the correctness of their alternative lifestyle they would probably not choose to stay.

In other words, there is a difference between tolerate and agree with. There is grace, which is compassion and mercy for everyone, and Truth, which is that homosexuality is indeed a sin. Or at least, homosexual sex is a sin, and because homosexuality is now an 'identity' rather than a kind of fornication, and that identity as far as I understand includes acceptance of a lifestyle of that behavior. I don't 'tolerate' any and all lifestyles in the sense of accepting them as right, and neither is it right that Christians should do so or else they are 'intolerant'. I don't advocate any sexual lifestyle outside the institution of marriage.

(You may recall that experience I had that taught me this. No matter who you think is right or wrong in my 'love affair', I discovered that this woman doesn't even believe in marriage and has had this problem in the past with many casual 'guy friends' who surprisingly turned out to like or love her! I decided this is not for me, and I have gone nowhere near her since nor do I plan to. In fact, I decided not to return to ever return to this school again and the main reason is her. I've finished my studies there and I am taking a semester off to recover from the emotional trauma of that event before moving on, but I still could have taken a class or two to stay busy. My teachers and fellow students I have been in touch with have constantly lamented that they miss me. I was very well known in the school for my hard work and selfless service and I was told that people really notice my absence, especially the singing group, and wish I was there. But I walked away. I still don't believe being nice to her and bringing up the idea of marriage constitutes harassment. I didn't even get to hold her hand or do anything than enjoy her glorious 'casual' company while I did nice things for her that she seemed to enjoy as in accept and never once complain about, right up until I told her that I loved her. I believe they call those 'wanted advances', not unwanted, lol. I do however believe that pursuing anyone with a boyfriend is sinful and I fell into, nay, choose, a dangerous trap. It was no wonder why it eventually blew up and ended in hurting both of us. As soon as she flipped out, I got away from her and have no plans to ever get near her again. Pro tip to get out of the friend zone: bring up marriage and see what happens. While you're at it, become a Christian.)

I don't care what the state does or what others do outside of our church. Can marriage ever be between two of the same sex? Not according to Scripture, and that is why our church does not perform gay marriages. On the other hand, we don't care what the state does - we don't care what the rest of the world does at all who are unbelievers. If two homosexuals want to get married there are plenty of places to go and we have no plans to care about it any more than I care what the Queen of the Friend Zone does. We also tend to believe that Christians will never totally dominate the world or any political entity - I don't think you have to worry about all churches becoming orthodox or evangelical any time soon. And if they did you would just move your man-created philosophy outside of the church anyway, and probably for the better of everyone, because it never belonged there. If anything, the trend in the west of Christian churches is moving towards performing gay marriages as they embrace alternative man-created philosophies and world views. In a sense, I 'support' gay marriage, or at least would never politically oppose it or deny others their political rights. I really wish the state wouldn't use the word marriage - in fact, perhaps to avoid controversy the state should get out of the business of 'marriage' entirely and just use one domestic partnership catchall label which can include all of the different kinds of religious unions. That would probably make a lot of orthodox Christians happier and you may see them advocating for that as their defense of their freedom of religion, but a lot of younger conservative Christians find themselves unconcerned. I agree with Pope Francis that focusing on it and judging people is simply missing the point. I don't oppose the 'right' of two homosexuals to form some sort of domestic partnership in a secular state with the idea of family and domestic stability because it may be this is a more stable alternative to a lifestyle of fornication. After, it does seem closer to the Truth to me, but I am a younger Christian though and this may disagree with the views of older ones at the church. I don't think I could ever advocate and organize for homosexual marriage to become the law, and this refusal to take a positive action is explained by what I believe. The fact that the word marriage is sacred and defined in Scripture is the problem with doing so. However, I would not take a positive action of opposing others from organizing and instituting some kind of domestic partnership because active participation in the political order to spread Scriptural views is not supported in Scripture. At this point I feel their use of the word marriage, while controversial, may be something that is a transitive and used to express something it is not because legal definitions are slow to change in order to reflect reality.

As far as the poor, our church is very active in outreach and social justice, but we always offer the Truth alongside Grace. We explain who we are and what we believe in, because it is at the center of what we do.

Am I an rear end in a top hat just for believing in God? Do you have any idea how I live my life? So much for tolerance. I wait for the day that the rights of religious groups are repressed in the name of 'tolerance' or other worldly philosophies in this country as they are in other countries. I believe in Grace and Truth. Grace contains the most intense and compassionate tolerance imaginable - unconditional love towards everyone and submission to them out of reverence for Christ. It is Agape, and comes from the divine. But grace without Truth is false tolerance - a worldly philosophy that can be used by anyone to prioritize their beliefs over yours as they come to define theirs as 'tolerant' and yours as 'intolerant'. Without Truth whoever is in power can persecute whomever is not at will. How long before the more 'intolerant' aspects of Christianity are repressed by law in the name of humanism and secularism? We have avoided persecution in the United States for along time but things are changing. Persecution has been a constant companion to Christians over history and no country over vast expanses of time offers save haven indefinitely.

I am grateful for a stable country and political order that allows Christians to live in peace and spread the good news to those around. I believe that in such an environment the Gospel has an opportunity to thrive as it did in the Roman Empire during its summit and eventual decay. The Roman Empire was in fact an excellent vehicle that God used in his plan to spread the Gospel to the gentiles. When competing with other world views and philosophies, the Truth will win in the end. Open and honest debate is the sieve, but it is hard to engage the heart with typed words over the internet, and without the head and the heart as a witness, the Gospel often falls on deafened ears.

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

(You may recall that experience I had that taught me this. No matter who you think is right or wrong in my 'love affair', I discovered that this woman doesn't even believe in marriage and has had this problem in the past with many casual 'guy friends' who surprisingly turned out to like or love her! I decided this is not for me, and I have gone nowhere near her since nor do I plan to. In fact, I decided not to return to ever return to this school again and the main reason is her. I've finished my studies there and I am taking a semester off to recover from the emotional trauma of that event before moving on, but I still could have taken a class or two to stay busy. My teachers and fellow students I have been in touch with have constantly lamented that they miss me. I was very well known in the school for my hard work and selfless service and I was told that people really notice my absence, especially the singing group, and wish I was there. But I walked away. I still don't believe being nice to her and bringing up the idea of marriage constitutes harassment. I didn't even get to hold her hand or do anything than enjoy her glorious 'casual' company while I did nice things for her that she seemed to enjoy as in accept and never once complain about, right up until I told her that I loved her. I believe they call those 'wanted advances', not unwanted, lol. I do however believe that pursuing anyone with a boyfriend is sinful and I fell into, nay, choose, a dangerous trap. It was no wonder why it eventually blew up and ended in hurting both of us. As soon as she flipped out, I got away from her and have no plans to ever get near her again. Pro tip to get out of the friend zone: bring up marriage and see what happens. While you're at it, become a Christian.)

You HARASSED her you pretentious rear end in a top hat, you painted a giant picture for us that got you probated that made it CLEAR you are a stalking harasser.

You are the must un-Christ like person in this thread. The more you post, the more I am certain you ARE on crack.

Shut the hell up about the pretentious 'Holier than thou, and my god is greater than thine' bullshit.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

You HARASSED her you pretentious rear end in a top hat, you painted a giant picture for us that got you probated that made it CLEAR you are a stalking harasser.

You are the must un-Christ like person in this thread. The more you post, the more I am certain you ARE on crack.

Shut the hell up about the pretentious 'Holier than thou, and my god is greater than thine' bullshit.

This person and I both submitted to third-party arbitration of one of our professors and the school. Neither has a formal complaint in place against the other. The documentation I put together and her own testimony I'm sure exonerates both of us. She just said that because she became upset. I believe she was shocked by what I wrote because of how far my feelings progressed while she was apparently unaware, but harassment has been ruled out. She has made this mistake several times in the past and admitted responsibility to me in person, voiding any and all such claims. But I've said this already. It seems you have your own philosophy and point of view about this issue from someone else's life that you hold steadfastly to on faith alone.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CowOnCrack posted:

It seems you have your own philosophy and point of view about this issue from someone else's life that you hold steadfastly to on faith alone.

End Thread

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

It seems you have your own philosophy and point of view about this issue from someone else's life that you hold steadfastly to on faith alone.

:ironicat:

We've reached peak :irony: . End Thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

Queen of the Friend Zone

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Miltank posted:

I don't know if I'd say 'morality' exactly, but I think that if we're comparing possibly-fictional, certainly-edited life narratives, Buddha's demonstrates a guy who seemed much more clearly enlightened and with a firmer moral compass. As Bertrand Russell put it, Jesus scourged the moneychangers, but Buddha would have convinced them of the error of their behavior without violence.

CowOnCrack posted:

I would say that the key element here is actually that for the vast majority of people in the Anglosphere, the religion that is cited by their family member who berates them, the politician that denounces them, and so on is almost certainly going to be Christianity. Maybe in the Northeastern US it might be Orthodox Judaism. But practically speaking it will be a form of Christianity used as a cudgel against them.

Also, by this reasoning you probably are a follower of the Jedi religion in denial, because you likely comprehend the concept of the Force perfectly well. I don't think being aware of an idea, even in its fine details, means you believe in it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CowOnCrack posted:

This person and I both submitted to third-party arbitration of one of our professors and the school.

Just like a bunch of college rapists do. Because if the cops actually get called they tend to go way more harshly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CowOnCrack posted:

Jehovah is not the Sock Drawer Leprechaun though.
You're right, he isn't. Okay, let's use Zeus. Or Shiva. Gods that actually were worshiped in human history, and not a strawman. If people were out there being huge dicks in the name of Odin, you can bet that atheists would be attacking Odin believers too. It has nothing to do with some sort of "rebellion" against God, it's calling shitheads out on doing lovely things.

quote:

The problem is this can lead to 'anything goes,' and the reality that what is tolerant and intolerant can be defined by whomever in control very easily. With no Truth there is no way to settle the issue (also discussed below.)

SLIPPERY SLOPE, SLIPPERY SLOPE

Actually there is in fact a very easy way to settle the issue outside of the Bible and it has been done.

quote:

we have no plans to care about it any more than I care what the Queen of the Friend Zone does.

So you have plans to care about it a massive amount and constantly bring it up? Because you literally never shut the gently caress up about her so it's pretty obvious you care quite a bit about what she does, in fact I would say you have an unhealthy obsession with her.

quote:

I really wish the state wouldn't use the word marriage - in fact, perhaps to avoid controversy the state should get out of the business of 'marriage' entirely and just use one domestic partnership catchall label which can include all of the different kinds of religious unions.

Hmm yes, why don't we just have an institution that is similar to marriage, but a different name. You could say that they are separate, yet equal. That sounds like a great idea! I can't imagine who would oppose the idea of separate but equal!

quote:

Am I an rear end in a top hat just for believing in God?
No you're an rear end in a top hat because you're a creepy loving stalker.

quote:

Do you have any idea how I live my life?
You've given everyone in this thread more than enough info about how you life your life and it is horrifying.

quote:

How long before the more 'intolerant' aspects of Christianity are repressed by law in the name of humanism and secularism?
Not long at all I hope. It was great when segregationists and anti-interracial marriage Christians howled and cried about oppression and turning against the will of God when the Civil Rights Act passed, and it will be loving great when anti-gay and anti-same-sex marriage Christians do the same, and then secretly pretend they supported gay rights all along 50 years in the future after it's seen as normal.

quote:

We have avoided persecution in the United States for along time but things are changing. Persecution has been a constant companion to Christians over history and no country over vast expanses of time offers save haven indefinitely.

Oh my god holy poo poo. You're actually pulling this. "Waaaah we might not be able to prevent gays from being married, this is exactly like when other countries hunt down and execute Christians!" Incredible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:allears: I love that he actually pulled the Christian persecution card.

:qq: Oh no, the persecuted majority in both populous and holder-ship of political offices :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CowOnCrack posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat just for believing in God? Do you have any idea how I live my life?

Uh at this point a little bit, yeah.

e: oh my god he called it a love affair :stare:

• Locked thread