Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dely Apple posted:

People sure a lot more lethal than I remember. I may only be in iron and have a dinky plasma rifle, but they have... that, but more lethal!

Did you make sure to type /admin spawngun 10 ?

Its very important to do so. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

THE loving MOON posted:

I finished the Floran Party mission earlier, and I actually thought it was pretty good! That's one for three, but I was surprised to find even one that I liked.

Yeah that one was actually pretty fun. I was pretty surprised.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been playing around with shields, blocking, and one handed weapons today, and now the game is a lot more enjoyable. Do it people.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

Even things which show up a pricetag when you slot them into the 3D printer can end up not letting you put them into the printer options.
"Oh, hey. Lanterns I got from this mine. Shows up a price when I slot it *push button* oh, guess not."
Taken from 4chan, but if you're like me and just want to actually be able to use all the nice blocks and furnitures that are already in the game, here's a mod excerpt:

quote:

>Block Crafting Table
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/block-crafting-table.2410/
Adds a crafting table that uses material-based recipes rather than pixels to craft decorative block types from throughout the game. Great for diversity of building materials you don't have to ransack for. Great for base builders.

>Block Replicator
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/block-replicator.1675/
Aegisalt-level tech that lets you mass-print blocks at the cost of voxels (compressed pixels). Great for the casual builder. Also comes in even more advanced Violium and Rubium variants. Can be used with Block Crafting Table to get the "seed" blocks to repliate later.

>Decoration Crafting Table
http://forums.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/decoration-crafting-table.2431/
Adds a crafting table that can craft almost any existing decorative item using simple in-game materials rather than pixels. Also eliminates having to hunt down random biome recipes for every single character you make. Great for base builders.
TO FIX FOR NEWEST UPDATE: Install original, delete "tarpitchest.object" from recipe folder, then overwrite with this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0hihzqvvcyswy/deco%20crafting%20fix.rar?dl=0

>Pixel Goods Store
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/pixel-goods-store.1348/
Adds a vending machine merchant from which you can buy all sorts of custom decoration and furniture. Spritework is very nice, lots of cool stuff including racial and generic furniture, anything from trophies to bathtubs to bookshelves made of lava-seamed obsidian.
I think this covers stuff like oil lanterns and just about any decorations you can find. As a catch, that will also make it possible to cheese the "find a Floran base", "find an avian tomb", etc. type missions, but I don't mind personally.
I'm going to be using these myself until they come back to rebalancing the 3D printer and actually add in crafting for deco blocks like they said was coming.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Section Z posted:

Even things which show up a pricetag when you slot them into the 3D printer can end up not letting you put them into the printer options.

"Oh, hey. Lanterns I got from this mine. Shows up a price when I slot it *push button* oh, guess not."

I can only assume everything relating to the 3D printer is a work in progress. I would prefer it only work on all building materials and decorations so you never have to strip more than one kind of structure.

People keep saying they want some kind of shipping/trading/mercantile system and quests. Would that fall within the current capabilities of the modding system? I'm surprised there isn't something like that already.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

People keep saying they want some kind of shipping/trading/mercantile system and quests. Would that fall within the current capabilities of the modding system? I'm surprised there isn't something like that already.

I'm certain it's doable but would require Lua scripting. Having to actually do code stuff is a major obstacle for the majority of us. I've been poking at Lua tutorials but I just have no background whatsoever so I don't think I'll get very far. I definitely want some kind of economy mod.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 2, 2015

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Might have been posted already, but this mod seems pretty cool: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ground-penetrating-radar-station.2512/

Edit: Sorry, it's a repost. Here is an image of it though:

Haerc fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 2, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Today's painful reminder. Whoops Q makes you throw away your equipped item. Whoops Two enemies at once when you're busy scrambling for your backup weapon in the dark means you die fast. Whoops your dropped spear found in a chest isn't there when you get back one minute later.

Aaaaand removing that binding. Which at least I can do now in the options menu.

EDIT: I guess Q had quite the throwing arm because the spear was over a hill quite a ways further to the right :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 2, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Section Z posted:

Today's painful reminder. Whoops Q makes you throw away your equipped item. Whoops Two enemies at once when you're busy scrambling for your backup weapon in the dark means you die fast. Whoops your dropped spear found in a chest isn't there when you get back one minute later.

Aaaaand removing that binding. Which at least I can do now in the options menu.

Yeah, Q as a "drop equipped item" button seems really precarious considering Q is "switch to previous item" in a lot of games. Fortunately it hasn't caused me to lose any weapons but I've had a couple close calls.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Haerc posted:

Might have been posted already, but this mod seems pretty cool: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ground-penetrating-radar-station.2512/

Edit: Sorry, it's a repost. Here is an image of it though:

Good god cave gen is still horrendously bad.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
how the gently caress do you install mods now?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Motherfucker posted:

how the gently caress do you install mods now?

.Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\

Babe Magnet, maybe put that in the OP if it's not already.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

The time-out is bad, yeah. I'm running the religious bird staff and the human one; both are pretty good. Also have the Floran one, dunno how I feel about it.

Coordinates for Extreme Avian ship (has treasure map and Toucan armor):
X: 19445727
Y: 61080310

Beta Eta Ser 09 I
Go right from the spawn point. Constant dashing gets you there in a couple of minutes.

I think I'm going insane. Earlier I went and checked out these coordinates, since I need the treasure map, but the planet had dangerously high temp and the character I was using didn't have the heat-proof suit yet. I just got the suit, but then I punched in these coordinates and that system is nowhere to be found any more. To make the whole matter even more consuming, despite those coordinates being basically on the opposite side of the universe for me, it's claiming I'll only need 10 fuel to make the trip. Help :psyduck:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Catts posted:

Good god cave gen is still horrendously bad.
I dunno, it looks fine to me. You can see pretty clearly that he's in a light surface area, and just below him, where all the non-coal ores start, it opens up massively. Terraria's cavegen works the same way, basically.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you're using the 64 bit client, and someone else is using the mac, linux, or 32 bit client, their world gen will be different than what you have. It's only the same architecture that will provide the proper world gen.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

If you're using the 64 bit client, and someone else is using the mac, linux, or 32 bit client, their world gen will be different than what you have. It's only the same architecture that will provide the proper world gen.

But I literally found the proper planet earlier today :psyduck:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Aaah, I remember that now. So anything I find on my server is going to be "Linux64" coordinates. Maybe we ought to make sections for our coordinate list of interesting locations. Windows, Mac, Linux and 64bit versions of each?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anyone have the location for a USCM Penal Colony with the stone sign out front you need for the Jail House Rock quest? I found one on a volcanic planet earlier, but for whatever reason I couldn't mess with any of the objects or terrain in or near the colony :shepface:

That's the last one that I need for the next ship upgrade. I really just want to finish upgrading my ship all the way so that I can reorganize everything in there one last time and stop worrying about what goes in which crate.

fyi: For the Mech boss just use full Violium with a heavy hitting Violium weapon and just go at him like a mad dog when he's shooting missiles. When he's using the flamethrower or the Touhou bullet spam thingy just try to play keep-away while eating every healing item you have access to. Took me two tries, but it was a close thing.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 2, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Look for a huge console in the colony, and use it to turn off block protection.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

Look for a huge console in the colony, and use it to turn off block protection.

poo poo, well at least I haven't left the system yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I dunno, it looks fine to me. You can see pretty clearly that he's in a light surface area, and just below him, where all the non-coal ores start, it opens up massively. Terraria's cavegen works the same way, basically.

Terraria's cavegen generates tunnels from the surface to the bottom of the map without you having to do a great deal of digging, Starbound just generates a bunch of disconnected holes in the ground.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Gotta say, the modding community is turning out to be better than I expected.

There is hope still for Starbound

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

Gotta say, the modding community is turning out to be better than I expected.
There is hope still for Starbound
The quality of life mods are amazing, in particular. There's one just to condense crops down to 1 tile wide each.

OwlFancier posted:

Terraria's cavegen generates tunnels from the surface to the bottom of the map without you having to do a great deal of digging, Starbound just generates a bunch of disconnected holes in the ground.
There's usually one big tunnel in terraria worldgen that leads down, generally under a big hill. It's a preset sort of thing. On small worlds that's enough to bring you to the cavern layer, where it gets much more open.
I'm saying Starbound does basically the same thing: in both games once you get past the surface level, caves become much more abundant and often overlap. When you reach the bottom of one, you can use torches, flashlights, or your MM to scope around the edges, then do some brief digging if you need to. That's about the same as how I cave in Terraria.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Seriously, the glowing ore mod is a big deal

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Cheap Lights are so much better than torches it's insane. Now to find another avian airship - the last one I found got taken out by a meteor on my way to the quartermaster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, I ALMOST made it through my first shot through the mines.

Combat is such a loving slog. Steel hammer also felt insultingly pointless because it does juuuust enough damage to the normal monsters in the mines that it leaves them with an "Empty" health bar, so may as well use the spear, but that still gives them enough time to spit and it floats just long enough for a vertical jump dodge to get hit (I have dash unlocked, but too many cases of dashing that would either make me aggro a second enemy, or sent me hurtling off a ledge onto a pile of enemies soooo), so it was mostly one shot from the compound bow, one stab with the spear, repeat. Compound bow which takes... 10? I stopped counting past 5+ shots for the tougher miner monsters, didn't even bother trying to fight them in melee considering a single spit attack guard breaks my shield.

Alas, the only shield I'm allowed to craft right now, Basic shield, can't keep up with the beamspam of the boss even if I perfect guard, since the beam is slow enough to still take out a chunk of the shield bar even if I walk through the beam as they pass by. So my death was P guarding my way through one beam, then whoops P guard into guard break into last of my health through another beam (Couldn't dodge the other way, monsters were spitting in that direction). Maybe if I had more sicknasty milisecond perfect timing the Perfect guard frames would work better? But if it's down to that much of a difference in timing in a 2D sandbox digging game, then that's just silly.

So the semblance of something good is there, it just feels overtuned damage wise. Especially if you come in with what is expected of you, with bandages and steel craft equipment. Against the normal enemies a few at a time it was okay, but considering they liked to come in clusters at times and so few hits kill you, a single spit will break your shield if you don't perfect guard, etc, yeah.

Ahundredbux posted:

Seriously, the glowing ore mod is a big deal

This is the only Mod I got plugged in right now and the difference was loving insane.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 2, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Glowing ore mod is another great candidate for the base I think. Make another ship upgrade available that costs some core ore, so you basically just have that first trip down to be your bit of a slog.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ZypherIM posted:

Glowing ore mod is another great candidate for the base I think. Make another ship upgrade available that costs some core ore, so you basically just have that first trip down to be your bit of a slog.

I agree. I'm not against ONE slog down in your home planet, as long as it makes further trips much easier. As it is, I cheated in the grappling hook, and holy poo poo, night and loving day. Love that thing, wish it was tier 1.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Base speed of MM is still atrocious for your first slog, considering your choices are surface coal or digging a bit, hoping for some copper.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can fell some trees, kick some jelly rear end and get tons of torches to go spelunking in Terraria. Along with surface deposits of iron and copper.

Also, the mining outpost now crashes on load for me. Yay, chucklefuck.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LAY-ZX posted:

A friend of mine is running a server, but when playing on it a few planets cause the client to crash. Which planets do it is consistent and it happens to everyone. At first it was just annoying, but as of yesterday's patch the story missions now do it too. Anyone have any idea what's up?

Should we be supplying coordinates of bugged planets for a "don't go here" directory?

One of the desert planets in my home system behaves like it's got lag. Like, blocks will stop being mined and collected and monsters will just walk in place for a minute and then start back up again, and then go back into that paused state later.

Teleporting back to the ship during the "lag spikes" still results in me staring at the planet surface after I beam off of it for 30 seconds to a minute before it cuts back to my ship.

:starbound:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Should we be supplying coordinates of bugged planets for a "don't go here" directory?

One of the desert planets in my home system behaves like it's got lag. Like, blocks will stop being mined and collected and monsters will just walk in place for a minute and then start back up again, and then go back into that paused state later.

Teleporting back to the ship during the "lag spikes" still results in me staring at the planet surface after I beam off of it for 30 seconds to a minute before it cuts back to my ship.

:starbound:

It's weird, because the way those lag spikes behave almost seems like a ping spike or a sudden connection drop when you're playing an online game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

The quality of life mods are amazing, in particular. There's one just to condense crops down to 1 tile wide each.

There's usually one big tunnel in terraria worldgen that leads down, generally under a big hill. It's a preset sort of thing. On small worlds that's enough to bring you to the cavern layer, where it gets much more open.
I'm saying Starbound does basically the same thing: in both games once you get past the surface level, caves become much more abundant and often overlap. When you reach the bottom of one, you can use torches, flashlights, or your MM to scope around the edges, then do some brief digging if you need to. That's about the same as how I cave in Terraria.

I generally find a couple of ways down in terraria, as well as the cavern layers being much more interconnected. Starbound doesn't generally get you very far with its caves and it also doesn't have any variety in content or style. It's just a bunch of cramped, ugly, useless holes in the ground that don't lead anywhere and have virtually nothing of value in them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright, doing the mod overhaul in the OP today, going to have three distinct sections: Quality of Life, Fun, and Goon

Post mods you think should go in the OP, I'm going to add the glowing ores one definitely and I'm going to comb through the thread and look for the small mods goons have posted already like turt's stuff

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I'll put this in too, yeah

E: also if you want your server in the OP for multiplayer, post it too

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Whatever happened to that goatperson mod? Is that still being worked on?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Section Z posted:

Well, I ALMOST made it through my first shot through the mines.

I'd be happy to give you a hand with this if you want; I'm reasonably geared so I can help you out. Doing the dungeons in MP is A Good Idea because the instance won't reset when you die as long as one person is still active in it, even if they're just sitting somewhere. This counts for the boss too: they don't even need to be in the boss chamber. There really needs to be some sort of difficulty option, though: bosses have so much health it's annoying, I just want to get back to playing space legos.

Vib Rib posted:

Taken from 4chan, but if you're like me and just want to actually be able to use all the nice blocks and furnitures that are already in the game, here's a mod excerpt:

These mods are perfect. I feel like the microdungeons should have an "implode" button that reduces them to blocks because breaking them down is a nightmare but these are way easier.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

senae posted:

Whatever happened to that goatperson mod? Is that still being worked on?

that was dog kisser's Peglaci, and I think that went on hiatus a few months after the game did. I haven't seen dk around at all so they may not be aware that the game updated, or they may not care.

e: this is the glowing ores mod everyone is talking about right

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 2, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

e: this is the glowing ores mod everyone is talking about right

I think so, at least it's the one I use anyways.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Thanks, I figured it out by searching out the mods folder but still worth posting.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I can't stop playing this stupid loving game I hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

OP slightly updated, I'm about to rework a lot of the graphics

• Locked thread