Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

alias all bash builtins to echo USE A PLANG YOU rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
here's the biggest thing about bash: there's no usable debugger. i don't care how bad your perl, ruby, python is. i can always haul out a debugger and start troubleshooting it. not so much with bash.

the 3rd party bash debuggers, bashdb and friends, are terrible. and of course bash makes everything worse by abuse of subprocesses, which mungs everything worse than it already was, in your hacked-up not-really-a-debugger environment.

if you find yourself pulling out bashdb, you're probably better off just running bash with strace or dtrace and getting a list of all the files that are touched. it's not worth the pain to try to debug bash

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or use a real platform where stupid garbage isnt an issue

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
powershell

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Ah yes, Powershell. They're at version 4.0 now and you still can't recursively delete directories. Or, well, it may work sometimes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's the powershell debugging story like?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've found the PS ISE to be very suiting of my needs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
more like

powers

hell

:dukedog:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I've found the PS ISE to be very suiting of my needs.

Subjunctive posted:

what's the powershell debugging story like?

built inot the ISE

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

error handling, susceptibility to cyclic garbage, and the class system.

I thought we were talking about Perl, not neoliberal economic policy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

error handling, susceptibility to cyclic garbage, and the class system.

Mr Dog posted:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

God drat.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Jonny 290 posted:

a plang with sigils in front of the vars, scalar/list/hash data structures you can nest in the sensible form, and semicolons at the end

i like php too jonny

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mr Dog posted:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

:eyepop:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Sagacity posted:

Ah yes, Powershell. They're at version 4.0 now and you still can't recursively delete directories. Or, well, it may work sometimes.

it works fine??

powershell is fine if you Set-StrictMode your scripts

and the fact that you can interop with .net code seamlessly is amazing

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like you can just load a .dll you find in a script and start creating objects from it, it's goddamn wizardry

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wow, a strict mode

that's always a great sign in a plang

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

wow, a strict mode

that's always a great sign in a plang

it makes sense when you consider that it's also an actual shell, you want the behaviors it disables when you're in a repl

the horror is my coworkers for building large systems in powershell that don't work with strict mode on

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
perl is fine, shell scripts are also fine as long as it's just a sequence of commands with no real looping or branching to speak of other than if [ -e $FILE] or whatever

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

perl is fine, shell scripts are also fine as long as it's just a sequence of commands with no real looping or branching to speak of other than if [ -e $FILE] or whatever

it's okay the time for shell scripts has passed. we have goddamn unit testing now so your clown fucker script doesn't choke and bring down a system

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
"but my script just fucks clowns!"
gently caress you write unit tests

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
special dispensation will be made if you are people like my rear end in a top hat coworker whose code was littered with the piss lord Ruby %[/usr/bin/gently caress clown] nonsense

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i like php too jonny

i do not care for the combination array/hashes they have in php. i'm more comfortable with those being two separate things

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i worked on a 10 kiloline shell script thing that did image manipulation and video encoding through many, many invocations of imagemagick and ffmpeg/avconv

it was absolutely horrifying: exactly duplicated code in if/else branches, calling out to bc a bunch of times to calculate positions since bash doesnt do floating point math, an 'smp" mode that ran everything with a & at the end and had race conditions out the wazoo figuring out if those subprocesses finished

half of this was terrible coding practice, half of it came from necessary hacks because shell scripting is so terrible. i thought perl's function argument parsing was bad until i realized that shell script is even worse, and i finally understood perl's idiocy of weak typing between strings and numbers

i rewrote the whole thing in ~400 lines of python, no more imagemagick but still calls out to avconv to actually do video encoding, turns out that having good data structures available (pillow images and numpy arrays as well as what's built in to python) makes a world of difference in how easy it is to do some things

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

i do not care for the combination array/hashes they have in php. i'm more comfortable with those being two separate things

i'm alright with the hash/array being a uniform collection, it works out ok in lua and awk and a bunch of glue languages for automation

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

You can give me a very broad array type as long as I'm also able to use more adapted and specialized data structures when I need them.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

prefect posted:

it's ok, php arrays are such a flexible and powerful data type that they intimidate some people who are only used to the limited "arrays" found in other languages

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's ok, php arrays are such a flexible and powerful data type that they intimidate some people who are only used to the limited "arrays" found in other languages

there are probably some people who get rustled by the idea of dynamic length arrays, or arrays that don't start at 0

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
there will some people who argue that 7/2 is 3, or that -7/2 is -3 or -4. programming :3:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

tef posted:

there will some people who argue that 7/2 is 3, or that -7/2 is -3 or -4. programming :3:

if -7/2 is not -3 or -4. what is it then :confused:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if -7/2 is not -3 or -4. what is it then :confused:

-3.5, of course. did you not study math after the first year of elementary school?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

-3.5, of course. did you not study math after the first year of elementary school?
:vince:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
:whitewater:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Use Racket you plebs

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
code:
Prelude> -7/2
code:
Prelude> -7/ (2 :: Int)

<interactive>:3:3:
    No instance for (Fractional Int) arising from a use of `/'
    In the expression: 7 / (2 :: Int)
    In the expression: - 7 / (2 :: Int)
    In an equation for `it': it = - 7 / (2 :: Int)
e: apparently spoiler tags don't work for code blocks :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's sqrt 2 then

I know where you FP weenies are going with this and it's just as arbitrary a delineation as transparent bignum promotion.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
no that's my point, that it kind of looks like it works in the repl but it actually doesn't. int/int = int, but in the repl when using the literals they get silently interpreted as floats instead. in actual code it wouldn't work either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

What's sqrt 2 then

Mr Dog posted:

I know where you FP weenies are going with this and it's just as arbitrary a delineation as transparent bignum promotion.