Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I liked what I did/do because it was all new sports cars and aftermarket modifications. Not changing the headgaskets on an old buick or whatever. The only problem was management. We had the owner of the shop (who started out as the mechanic and inherited it), just decided to take off and go work at a dealership during the day, leaving myself, the accounting girl, and the IT/web guy. So me and the girl are pretty much running the place, and it starts doing well enough for the owner to come back and sit in his office watching movies all day. About this time the girl left and we had a new mechanic so I wasn't working on cars often. But then for some reason he stops trusting all of us, trying to micromanage everything, and it suddenly became a really lovely place to work. So now I'm just in montana riding bikes and selling parts deciding if I want to make the commitment of moving to somewhere near race tracks and opening up my own facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

"Don't stick your dick in the crazy"

Frankly this is way more important than job advice because it's so tempting yet so devastating.

Or so I've heard.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Frankly this is way more important than job advice because it's so tempting yet so devastating.

Or so I've heard.

I want to buy a Biturbo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I want to buy a Biturbo.

This falls under some other advice I've heard.

"You can't fix stupid."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

It's styling was polarizing
That's a very diplomatic way of saying ugly as sin.

Although it still only takes third place after the Fiat Multipla and Nissan Cube.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wallaka posted:

I wonder that myself after watching my old man do it for almost 40 years now. The only two pieces of advice he ever gave me were "Don't stick your dick in the crazy" and "Don't be a loving mechanic."

Your dad is a smart guy.

I work on my own poo poo and sometimes my friends. Not doing that for pay ever again. At least quicklube work was hourly, and freelance stuff I did, I usually let my customers set their price, which meant everyone came out pretty happy since they didn't pay shop rate and I certainly made more than what shops pay.

I will stick to selling 46re/47re/48re dodge horrible mechanical failure repair kits from now on - aka nv4500 manual transmissions to swap in :v: the profit margin on those ridiculous because after two or three slushbox rebuilds at a couple grand each, bro truckers often start getting a little more willing to blow a grand on a junkyard transmission to install so it never happens again.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Collateral Damage posted:

That's a very diplomatic way of saying ugly as sin.

Although it still only takes third place after the Fiat Multipla and Nissan Cube.

There is a pretty amusing reddit thread which asked "PT Cruiser owners, what tragedy burdened you with your car?". Most of them were inherited.

My grandfather loving loved his but my father and uncle sold that poo poo ASAP after he died. Nobody in the family wanted it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Ugh, my 17 year old cousin crashed hers, and I was like "sweet, now you can get a car that doesn't suck." She bought another one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jamal posted:

Ugh, my 17 year old cousin crashed hers, and I was like "sweet, now you can get a car that doesn't suck." She bought another one.

They'll have to run out eventually, right?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I flat out dont understand people who buy PT's and HHR's. It is what it is I guess. They break all the time which keeps me employed tho so I'm whatever about them.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They stopped making them in 2010, so it will be a long time before they disappear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Teens buy PT Cruisers because they're cheap as dirt because all the sane people who have inherited one try to dump them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder how well the Fiat Multipla would have sold in the U.S..

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Rebranded as a Chrysler of course.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Rebranded as a Chrysler of course.

Shhhhhh... Don't give them ideas to bring back the pt cruiser name.

I laughed quite a bit when one (pt) made an appearance on breaking bad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a pretty amusing reddit thread which asked "PT Cruiser owners, what tragedy burdened you with your car?". Most of them were inherited.

My grandfather loving loved his but my father and uncle sold that poo poo ASAP after he died. Nobody in the family wanted it.

Past Transgressions Cruiser is now my new favorite name for this shitbox.

I'd also like to go on record as saying that Cruiser and HHR thoroughly disprove the ideal the Manual = Better. Holy poo poo are those extra lovely cars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Why does anyone in the US ever bother to get a job working on cars? Seriously. The whole system sounds unbelievably dysfunctional.

Don't work on cars, don't drive a rig, and don't loving cook for a living. Three bits of advice my Dad gave me, too bad I only listened to the first two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ExplodingSims posted:

Past Transgressions Cruiser is now my new favorite name for this shitbox.

I'd also like to go on record as saying that Cruiser and HHR thoroughly disprove the ideal the Manual = Better. Holy poo poo are those extra lovely cars.

I ended up renting an HHR once. I decided that HHR was the noise you make while driving it. A sort of heavy, resigned, back-of-the-throat sigh of disgust.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

The PR Cruiser was classed as a light truck and brought up the fuel economy averages for Chrysler so they promoted the poo poo out of it to offset Dodge. Not sure if the HHR was the same deal for GM or not. Same guy was lead designer on both, though, Nesbitt left Chrysler and worked at GM.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Midjack posted:

The PR Cruiser was classed as a light truck and brought up the fuel economy averages for Chrysler so they promoted the poo poo out of it to offset Dodge. Not sure if the HHR was the same deal for GM or not. Same guy was lead designer on both, though, Nesbitt left Chrysler and worked at GM.

Both were built on the respective company's compact econobox platform, just imagine what he could've done if he had gone to Ford instead... :tinfoil:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Root Bear posted:

Both were built on the respective company's compact econobox platform, just imagine what he could've done if he had gone to Ford instead... :tinfoil:

The Focus already had a hatchback and ugly wagon, he wouldn't have had anything to do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

I flat out dont understand people who buy PT's and HHR's. It is what it is I guess. They break all the time which keeps me employed tho so I'm whatever about them.

The HHR is essentially a stretched out Cobalt, which is actually a reliable, if not really boring, car (certainly far better than a Cavalier).

But the HHR is definitely WAY too heavy for the engine, suspension, and well, the entire platform. The Cobalt/Ion/G5 don't have much power to begin with (~140 hp for most years with the most common engine [2.2L]); stick a faux truck/van body on it and it's even slower.

ExplodingSims posted:

Nobody ever accused the Getrag F23 they stuck in the manual HHR (and Cobalt/G5/Ion) as being "refined". More like "rowing through a box full of gravel for every shift". The F23 is already pretty close to its limit in terms of power and weight before the HHR's extra heft.

I've driven an automatic Cobalt, and it was miserable in every way possible, with a transmission that just hated doing what you actually wanted it to do. I own an Ion now, which is basically the same car, but with a 5 speed manual, and it's... not the most exciting car to drive, but far more fun to drive than the rental automatic Cobalt I had.

Not defending the HHR, just defending the engine/gearbox combo on the manual. I can't really speak for the automatic, I assume it's the same lovely 4T45 GM used in every other GM 4 cylinder of that era.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Root Bear posted:

Volvo 40-series utes. :haw:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

I have a friend absolutely adores hers; she's a yoga-vegan-hippy freak (who's somehow actually really tolerable and sweet) so I guess a terrible piece of poo poo car that she has formed an attachment to just makes sense.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My wife ( Girlfriend at the time ) bought a brand new PT cruiser in '07. It had a penchant for randomly going into limp mode after about 2-3 hours of operation. We even went through the lemon law steps yet the dealership people never seemed to find the issue. Ended up trading it in and getting reamed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

:ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Where is that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norway, I believe.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2015/02/02/bridge-collapses-on-e18-highway/

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Platystemon posted:

New from Pontiac - the Aztek II!

Little known fact - this was the title of the last ever press release from Pontiac before they were abolished.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saga posted:

Little known fact - this was the title of the last ever press release from Pontiac before they were abolished.

The production like that made the Aztek was re-tooled to make the Chevy PT Cruiser II Chevy HHR

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Saga posted:

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Pontiac forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a friend absolutely adores hers; she's a yoga-vegan-hippy freak (who's somehow actually really tolerable and sweet) so I guess a terrible piece of poo poo car that she has formed an attachment to just makes sense.

Stockholm syndrome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I loving love my Multipla :colbert:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I for one welcome Chrysler's new Italian overlords. They can't make the brand any less reliable after all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah you guys are doing some major conflation here. The multipla is a good car, especially by Italian standards, it's just ugly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

Yeah you guys are doing some major conflation here. The multipla is a good car, especially by Italian standards, it's just ugly.

I don't mind it. It has a front bench seat. Outside of a Falcon ute, how many vehicles can say that these days?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honda Edix and competing vehicles have front benches too. They're all 3+3 from what I've seen.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, there's people that like the vulcan :psyduck:

I like the one in my ranger. :3:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cakefool posted:

I loving love my Multipla :colbert:

Remember how the design and tooling were all sold to a Chinese company a few years ago? Well that project actually came to fruition and there's a fleet of electric Chinese Multipla taxis in the town where I live. I ride in one almost every day and they are pretty spacious. The sliding doors don't really hold up to taxi duty though, and the electric drivetrains a pretty awful, but none of those are the Multipla's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Snow + Violent Wheel Hop + Stuck under a trailer + Power Divider = Goodbye U-joint. It was a fun day at work!