Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Perfect. The pats get fat and lazy in the offseason and the bills rise :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Rod Munch posted:

I always thought Bevell was a weird hire for the Packers, just from the standpoint that Favre was in his 5th year in the NFL while Bevell was in his final year in college as a player for Wisconsin. And then after 4 years of some small time college gigs, he becomes QB coach for Favre.

I would argue that he's actually a pretty good quarterbacks coach. He's done a lot for Wilson's development and in general was a good person to have in the quarterbacks room.

He is, however, one of the worst game day play callers out there.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schwack posted:

I dont even know that the explanation is satisfactory. The idea that they wanted to waste that down because they didnt like New England's alignment makes no loving sense. If you want to waste a down you take a safe shot on a corner fade. There are so many ways for a slant to go wrong. Everything about that play selection is just plain bad football to my eyes.
i dont know what you mean by "waste that down". thats a decently high percentage play and it doesnt hurt them at all if he has to throw it away, very low chance of a sack. a slant play is really safe in those circumstances, too, and lockette was in good position.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

nooneofconsequence posted:

Still can't believe that ending.
Yeah. Dumb.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I still can't get over that. Lynch to me is the ultimate answer to the question of "who do you give the ball to on the 1 yard line if you need to win a game". It's as if they totally out-coached themselves.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:hfive: motherfucker go Jacks.

EDIT: The list of coaches that've coached at NAU is amusing. Andy Reid, Bill Callahan, Brad Childress, and Marty Mornhinweg were all assistants there (among tons of others).

I miss NAU so much. Best university in Arizona.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

i dont know what you mean by "waste that down". thats a decently high percentage play and it doesnt hurt them at all if he has to throw it away, very low chance of a sack. a slant play is really safe in those circumstances, too, and lockette was in good position.

Carroll claims they were planning on running it in to win, just not on that particular down because of the defensive alignment.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

I said come in! posted:

I miss NAU so much. Best university in Arizona.
I'd give my right arm to live in Flagstaff again.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Perfect. The pats get fat and lazy in the offseason and the bills rise :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1agaZinJHg

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Schwack posted:

Carroll claims they were planning on running it in to win, just not on that particular down because of the defensive alignment.

This doesn't make sense at all, I get Carroll is just trying to cover asses but no one believes this at all.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schwack posted:

he said he was going to run it on 3rd and 4th down but passed it there because they only had 1 timeout and time was tight. that checks out imo. that pass was obviously to score and it looked good for most of it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Photex posted:

This doesn't make sense at all, I get Carroll is just trying to cover asses but no one believes this at all.

Well, you see, it is sometimes best to not score because that is what the defense is expecting you to try and do.
-Darrell Bevell, a person employed by an NFL team

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

he said he was going to run it on 3rd and 4th down but passed it there because they only had 1 timeout and time was tight. that checks out imo. that pass was obviously to score and it looked good for most of it.

That still is really misleading if you look at where the ball needs to be placed. Lockette is "open" but he's going to get loving obliterated a microsecond after the ball gets to him. It was the wrong call in 100% of situations. If you feel like you need to pass because of the clock situation you should be looking for a low risk pass, not something in the center of the field.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Prudential building in Boston tonight (poo poo quality as screenshot of a webstream)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

going over the middle was insanity. plus time was only tight because it took them 35 seconds to call that play.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I disagree. While normally a slant is an easy, high percentage play, that's because the defense has to be prepared for other possibilities. When you have a defense that is keyed up to stop a short play, your window becomes incredibly tighter. And when that happens, you have a decent chance of a tipped ball up in the air in a crowd.

You can see by that one screenshot that it was executed well by the offense; the pick/rub worked, Lockette had separation, Wilson throws it inside (though not low). But you have a defense in desperation mode, which means they're going to bite on the first obvious thing. The playcall, if you wanted to get tricky with it, should have been one that used that desperation against them: play-action, roll-out, pump fake, double move.

I get that they were planning the plays for using all 4 downs. Fine, pass on 2nd down. But not a slant against a jump-happy D. Fade it to your tall man. Have one of your lovely guys do the Edelman z-cut outside since the d-backs are jumping the first move.

The slant, in my mind, was the absolute worst call for that situation.

Also, kudos to Belicheck for not pulling a Holmgren and letting them score.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Schwack posted:

Well, you see, it is sometimes best to not score because that is what the defense is expecting you to try and do.
Just finished watching the local Q13FOX sports guys interviewing Bevell. He weaseled out of every question they asked. gently caress him forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'd give my right arm to live in Flagstaff again.

How long has it been since you were there? I left in May of 2014, so it hasn't been that long. Property prices were soaring out of control and it is very expensive to live in Flagstaff.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

People on my facebook are saying that Bradshaw and Montana being 4-0 in the Super Bowl makes them better than Brady.

I hated New England for many years, but come on, use your brain... Brady is 4-2 but he also went to two more Super Bowls and lost them. Guess he should have lost in the AFC championship those years so he could now be the best ever.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

In a situation where you will get to take the advantageous option two times and the less advantageous option once, but once success wins you the game, you take the loving advantageous option twice and take the less advantageous option only if you are forced to. His reasoning is just post hoc rear end-covering.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwack posted:

Please tell me that's not a real thing he said.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilonum posted:

Prudential building in Boston tonight (poo poo quality as screenshot of a webstream)

idgi do they not light up the building all the time or something? empire state had both teams colors on opposite sides all day.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at defending the play call. poo poo a read option or screen would have been a better call, not a slant over the middle. Why Lynch wasn't given the ball is just boggling. There isn't really an excuse.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Please tell me that's not a real thing he said.

It's not but I'm sure hes had that thought while silently smiling to himself and admiring his own genius.

Abugadu posted:

I disagree. While normally a slant is an easy, high percentage play, that's because the defense has to be prepared for other possibilities. When you have a defense that is keyed up to stop a short play, your window becomes incredibly tighter. And when that happens, you have a decent chance of a tipped ball up in the air in a crowd.

You can see by that one screenshot that it was executed well by the offense; the pick/rub worked, Lockette had separation, Wilson throws it inside (though not low). But you have a defense in desperation mode, which means they're going to bite on the first obvious thing. The playcall, if you wanted to get tricky with it, should have been one that used that desperation against them: play-action, roll-out, pump fake, double move.

I get that they were planning the plays for using all 4 downs. Fine, pass on 2nd down. But not a slant against a jump-happy D. Fade it to your tall man. Have one of your lovely guys do the Edelman z-cut outside since the d-backs are jumping the first move.

The slant, in my mind, was the absolute worst call for that situation.

Also, kudos to Belicheck for not pulling a Holmgren and letting them score.

This is 100% why I hate the call. You're working with a compressed field of 11 yards. A slant is not a safe play in that window, even if that LB hadnt made a spectacular play its very possible that ball ends up a tip drill.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

To be fair the Seahawks were even at the game due to a whole load of bad playcalling.

The bad playcall giveth...and it it taketh away...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

To be fair the Seahawks were even at the game due to a whole load of bad playcalling.

The bad playcall giveth...and it it taketh away...

Something something pass interference something something refs

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Slant makes more sense if you've got some great WR or at least a really big one who can box out for position in traffic but it's Seattle so

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

LoboLoboLobo posted:

That play is a touchdown if the LB didn't blast Lockette at the last millisecond.

Watch the replay, the LB had it sniffed out from the start. Totally clean. It was a great play, but Seattle shouldn't have even given him the chance.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
if i cared about either of those teams id be so mad right now for my coach giving the game away but as it stands the Dallas Cowboys ar ethe super bowl champs JJ WATT is MVP and Texans are 2nd and Baylor bitch

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Jastiger posted:

Lol at defending the play call. poo poo a read option or screen would have been a better call, not a slant over the middle. Why Lynch wasn't given the ball is just boggling. There isn't really an excuse.

Yup.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

I said come in! posted:

How long has it been since you were there? I left in May of 2014, so it hasn't been that long. Property prices were soaring out of control and it is very expensive to live in Flagstaff.
2008. Prices were bad when I left and I know they've gotten even worse, but man, I loving love that town.

Jastiger posted:

The specific call is bad, but not giving Lynch the ball is simply because of the clock. You have to pass on 2nd or 3rd down if you want to be able to get 3 plays off. They chose 2nd down. And also chose the worst possible pass play.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't know why everyone thinks I'm trolling when I say Wilson is not a franchise qb with his awful decisions and inability to manage games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2008. Prices were bad when I left and I know they've gotten even worse, but man, I loving love that town.

I like the school more then I like Flagstaff to be honest, but downtown Flagstaff is so awesome. A one bedroom apartment in Flagstaff was around $975 - $1100 last year. :/

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Call of the game was Belichick not using a timeout while the Seahawks were taking 35 seconds to plan their own destruction

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I really don't think throwing there is awful (ok well not WORST EVER awful), but that route is a little gross, and regardless it has to be a better pass.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The specific call is bad, but not giving Lynch the ball is simply because of the clock. You have to pass on 2nd or 3rd down if you want to be able to get 3 plays off. They chose 2nd down. And also chose the worst possible pass play.

Not likely. There were I believe 36 seconds on the clock before snap. One run doesn't make it, you still have 20. That's when you try again or do the fade. No need to pass immediately with two time outs. Hell Just giving Lynch the ball, or running a sneak all 4 downs would do it . They didn't need to pass AT ALL.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also it took 35 seconds I thought because they just got the yardage, the clock didn't stop, and by the time they hustled down they only had like 8 seconds to snap it.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Jastiger posted:

Not likely. There were I believe 36 seconds on the clock before snap. One run doesn't make it, you still have 20. That's when you try again or do the fade. No need to pass immediately with two time outs. Hell Just giving Lynch the ball, or running a sneak all 4 downs would do it . They didn't need to pass AT ALL.

Only one timeout, no?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Jastiger posted:

One time out.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pzy posted:

Call of the game was Belichick not using a timeout while the Seahawks were taking 35 seconds to plan their own destruction

"Never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" ~Napoleon "Five-Aces" Bonaparte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
The Coach Lost THe Game With A Bad poo poo call He sucks Real Bad Lynch just got 9 yards but do not give him 3 chances to get 1 yard

• Locked thread